DIY Maintenance 300 GTS/GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 am quote
I don't want to redo what already has been done...
Are there any videos available on users doing regular service tasks on their bike - Vespa 300 GTS/GTV in particular?

At breakfast today we were talking about learning how to DIY regular maintenance. Our Vespa guru is happy to coach us and if we do a video or picture book it may be of help to others who also want to DIY.

Already done...?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:34 am quote
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTs-d2DgyuJVRICivxe2Ktg

Check out MicBergsma's channel on YouTube.com
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 am quote

I didn't realize how prolific he is!
You'll want to search MicBergsma and Vespa to narrow things down....
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:44 am quote
Also look in Wiki Discussion - he's posted loads of his Vespa vids on there.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:03 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTs-d2DgyuJVRICivxe2Ktg

Check out MicBergsma's channel on YouTube.com
I second the recommendation for Mitch's videos. They are amazing and incredibel given he says nothing.

Also, watch Scooterwest's videos with Robot. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the 300 is close enough to the 250 that his tuneup video will be directly applicable.

I used both sources quite a bit and have learned a lot from them.
Miguel
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:21 pm quote
My only criticism of MicBergsma's video is that they are speeded up and there are no tool requirements given.
There is nothing more frustrating than mentally preparing to do an unfamiliar task and finding you do not have a critical tool...!

So, for the record, I just did a real wheel removal on my GTS to have a puncture repaired...

Tools required (metric) :
17 Socket or ring spanner for exhaust nut
T40 male Torx spanner for 3 silencer bolts (ISO name hexalobular internal...!)
6mm hexhead (Allen key) for 2 carrier bolts
17 Socket or ring spanner for shock nut
Pliers to remove split pin on axle
24 socket spanner for axle nut
6mm hexhead (Allen key) for 5 wheel bolts
Somebody to hold the back brake lever (or another means to tie it in while you work on the axle nut)

Time:
30 Minutes after you have all the tools at hand.

You most likely do NOT already have a 24 socket.

I am going to buy extras of each spanner to keep together with the Vespa just for such a purpose.
One can always borrow a 3/4 drive ratchet or power bar to use them when on the road or at a tire shop...!

I have the same idea on my BMW 1200GS with the Torx needed for wheel removal.

Edit: I edited the tools to match each step involved in removing the wheel, so there are repeats. That way I don't have to repeat the procedure.

Last edited by Fudmucker on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250, 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:57 pm quote
My comments in red weaved into your text.
Fudmucker wrote:
My only criticism of MicBergsma's video is that they are speeded up and there are no tool requirements given.
There is nothing more frustrating than mentally preparing to do an unfamiliar task and finding you do not have a critical tool...!

Maybe it's just a matter of strategy. When I'm attacking a task that I haven't done before, I watch the video a couple of times and note the tools and supplies I need before I start the job. After watching the video a few times, I appreciate not having to watch screw turning and wrench adjustments in real-time .

So, for the record, I just did a real wheel removal on my GTS to have a puncture repaired...

24 socket spanner for axle nut.
Somebody to hold the back brake lever (or another means to tie it in while you work on the axle nut)

Time:

You most likely do NOT already have a 24 socket. Fortunately, we have a used tool store close by and for some reason, I ended up with TWO 24 mm sockets! I'm guessing I purchased one each time I changed the rear wheel. I think they were good deal at US$3 each (Craftsman brand).

I am going to buy extras of each spanner to keep together with the Vespa just for such a purpose.
One can always borrow a 3/4 drive ratchet or power bar to use them when on the road or at a tire shop...!

I have the same idea on my BMW 1200GS with the Torx needed for wheel removal. On my BMW 1100RT, most of the fasteners are hex head. I WISH they were Torx. Hexhead are finicky and easy to strip.
Good on you for taking on your own maintenance. I only did it because the dealer closed. I'm not particularly fond of wrenching. I'm ok at it but I generally don't like being greasy for a few hours and I inevitably ruin a shirt or pants. OTOH, I've really come to appreciate it and have gained the knowledge and confidence that I could fix at least simple things on the road.

Best
Miguel
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:24 pm quote
Re the hexhead / Torx bolts:

I agree!
On refitting the wheel after removing a Vachellia karroo thorn (see pic) around an inch long (25mm)
I found that one of the 5 wheel mounting bolts stripped its head internally on tightening.
So I must plan to do it all again and replace all the hexhead bolts with T40 Torx ones. Then I will need one less spanner.

(PS - On my 2009 1200GS I changed the bolt on the gear selector lever immediately from a E-torx socket to a hexhead one.
It was the only bolt on the bike that needed that specific socket.)

Thorn-in-tire.jpg

Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:45 pm quote
By the way, it is recommended that one replace the exhaust gasket whenever you remove the silencer/muffler for maintenance. I examined the existing gasket closely and found it to be still in near-perfect condition (it was replaced during the annual service some 4500kms ago.)

Should you ride the scoot with that exhaust gasket leaking, the escaping gases can cause burn damage to nearby wiring / electronic sensors and the engine exhaust valves can also be damaged. Both replacements cost a lot more than the exhaust gasket, so my new exhaust gasket went back into the ride-along spares in case some other scoot needs one along the road (a habit I learned riding with dual sport bikers in South Africa.)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:59 pm quote
Google Scooter West Vespa Videos. Robot usually gives you part numbers for the tools and parts needed.
Fudmucker wrote:

24 socket spanner for axle nut
6mm hexhead (Allen key) for 5 wheel bolts

Time:

You most likely do NOT already have a 24 socket.

I have the same idea on my BMW 1200GS with the Torx needed for wheel removal.

Edit: I edited the tools to match each step involved in removing the wheel, so there are repeats. That way I don't have to repeat the procedure.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:01 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:
By the way, it is recommended that one replace the exhaust gasket whenever you remove the silencer/muffler for maintenance. I examined the existing gasket closely and found it to be still in near-perfect condition (it was replaced during the annual service some 4500kms ago.)

Should you ride the scoot with that exhaust gasket leaking, the escaping gases can cause burn damage to nearby wiring / electronic sensors and the engine exhaust valves can also be damaged. Both replacements cost a lot more than the exhaust gasket, so my new exhaust gasket went back into the ride-along spares in case some other scoot needs one along the road (a habit I learned riding with dual sport bikers in South Africa.)
The newer scooters should have an updated header pipe that will prevent that from happening.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1635s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0409s) ][ Debug on ]