The Great Winter Storage Debate
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:05 am quote
I hate to open up a can of worms, but with the potential for 6+ inches of snow in Connecticut on Sunday and Monday, itís time to store the Vespa. The heavy sand use on the roads and freezing temperatures can make it dangerous to ride over the winter. Then again, in some years winters are mild and not too much sand is used and it rains enough to wash much of the corroding salt off the roads, too. The problem is that itís hard to predict how ďbadĒ winter will be in Connecticut. Sometimes, we have a fairly mild winter, and I can ride here all winter (last year was mild - I was riding in February). Other years, snow can last into April. Here is what Iíve traditionally done over the winter and the reasons (perhaps myths?) as recommended by a motorcycle shop employee:

1. Get the tires off the ground to keep them from ďflatteningĒ in contact spots. (Is this necessary? Will tires really flatten in the spot(s) they touch the ground for 4 months?)

2. Wash and wax the Vespa and then cover it. I think this is probably a good idea. I remove the windshield, too.

3. Cover the tail pipe to keep rodents and other critters from nesting in there. Probably not necessary, but it takes two seconds to do this with a plastic bag and one of my wifeís hair ties.

4. Top off the fuel tank with fresh Stabil-treated fuel (and run it through for 10-15 minutes).

5. I have never changed the oil before winter storage. I just leave the oil in regardless of its mileage. I change the oil on schedule (I did it in June), but I donít use ďoil stabilizerĒ (Lucas oil stabilizer, et al) and the crankcase is currently full, so Iím not going to add oil stabilizer now.

So - the can of worms: Knowing the bike could potentially sit for 4 months, Do I need to change the oil before winter storage or can I just leave my current oil in there? Should I be using oil stabilizer at every oil change (and does that eliminate long-term oil storage problems) or is oil stabilizer snake oil?

What else should I do (or not do from the list above)? Thanks!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:29 am quote
Sounds to me like you have the basis covered though I don't think you need the stabilizer. 4 months really isn't that long and I've let bikes go for that long just because I go through phases on which child is my favourite. Our weather is probably similar to yours but colder. My bikes are parked indoors and I ride the 2 wheeled ones on the days we have dry roads. That's enough to keep the battery charged up. I know one gut in my building has a Ninja and he just rides it in our underground parking every few weeks and has never had a problem.

That being said I don't keep my bikes long. The Vespa though with all the modifications I may keep for a while unless Piaggio really does something special with the Vespa and even then I prefer the fender light models.

6 month or longer I think sure do all that stuff. 4 months goes by in the blink of an eye. A battery tender is a good idea and if using stabilizer makes you feel happy sure go for it as well as the trick to keep the critters out.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:57 am quote
Schuman, my winterizing routine is about the same as yours. Some may not agree; I've had few problems and I'll probably continue to do it my way. I used to try to ride at least once a month through the winter until a fall on loose gravel resulted in a broken ankle and wrecked scooter. Now I'm not so intent on riding all through the winter though I keep one scooter, the Zuma, ready to ride.

1. My scooters sit in the garage on their center stands so the rear tire is off the ground, and there's little weight on the front. As long as the tires are inflated I don't worry about them getting flat spots.

2. I try to wash all the scooters before I put them away, but I don't always get that done.

3. I don't cover the tail pipes but I have discovered signs of mice in other places like the CVT housing and the battery box. If I knew of a bulletproof way to keep them out of all the places they could hide, I'd do it. Fortunately I haven't trouble with mice chewing the wires on the scooters. They did ruin the wiring on the trailer I keep outside.

4. Ethanol-free gas if possible, and Stabil.

5. No oil stabilizer. I do change the oil if it's getting close to due for a change. I'm likely to ride up until the last day before the snow flies and I have to pack away the scooters to make room for a car in the garage. There's always a high probability that I'll put some miles on after an oil change anyway.

6. I bring the batteries inside and put them on a battery tender. Three batteries, and one tender that I rotate among the batteries occasionally. The battery stays in the Zuma, on a tender, ready to go.

Waiting for Spring...!
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:51 am quote
Do you put out rodent poison for the mice?
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 am quote
... I did not understand that of the can of worms ...
For mice i put poisoned baits, nothing else can be done.
For the insects i leave the car turned on and the garage tightly closed for an hour or so but without staying inside otherwise it will die poisoned by carbon monoxide. The holes better to close them ...

Last edited by Attila on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 am quote
Attila wrote:
It's an American figure of speech. Starting (opening) a discussion that could result in disagreement or arguments (worms).
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:42 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Attila wrote:
It's an American figure of speech. Starting (opening) a discussion that could result in disagreement or arguments (worms).
Not just a discussion - starting any procedure that results in a multitude of other problems.
Ossessionato
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:46 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Our mice are smarter than that. They'll make a home in a cozy spot in the garage, chew the insulation off wires, pee on the electrical connectors, but ignore the bait.
Ossessionato
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:47 am quote
jimc wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Attila wrote:
Not just a discussion - starting any procedure that results in a multitude of other problems.
Let's not open that can of worms.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:53 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
jimc wrote:
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Attila wrote:
Let's not open that can of worms.

can'o'worms.jpg

Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:08 am quote
...ooops...now i understand, it's a "colorful" metaphor.
I suspected but i must also understand the jargon a little, even in Italy it is the same with the aggravating circumstance of the dialect (in my area we speak a mixture of romanesque, venetian, neapolitan with a little of calabrian-sicilian ... quite complicated) I'm embarrassed jimc, end off topic.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:12 am quote
Tires: my bikes lean on the side stand the ~6 months winter break. On gravel surface. I have not yet noticed or felt any flat spots.

Oh yeah, the Spring stood on the center stand as it did not have a side stand. No flat spots either.

I guess this "issue" is coming from the past, as cross ply tires could not handle well stand still position?

Oil: no need for stabilizers. A good = normal quality oil from a well known brand includes all possible chemicals that are needed.

Humidity, changing temperatures are the worst enemy of your engine internals with dirty oil. Dirty engine oil contains sulphur (from the burning process), this together with water makes suplhur acid... but oil change within recommended intervals & 4 months = no worries, is my personal opinion.

All in all - store your scoot in a dry place with constant temperature, if possible, then you won't have to worry about much else.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:28 am quote
One are garage stored either on a battery tender or I pull the battery and store it in the utility room Scoots on their center stands and motorcycle when I still had on on its side stand. I do put Stabil in the gas tank but that's it. Check tire pressure before riding again. If rodents were to become an issue I don't know what I'd do since poisoned bait is out of the question. We have too much wildlife that eat them including foxes, ravens and eagles to use it.

Never considered oil stabilizer, I just change it per scheduled maintenance.
Hooked
piaggio hexagon
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am quote
If your scooter is kept in a garage with an electric supply, plug in devices which are said to deter rodents are available. (The ones I`ve seen say that they do not effect dogs or cats).
Molto Verboso
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:29 am quote
hexatony wrote:
If your scooter is kept in a garage with an electric supply, plug in devices which are said to deter rodents are available. (The ones I`ve seen say that they do not effect dogs or cats).
I have one permanently plugged into an outlet in my garage for about 5 years.
I put that in after seeing evidence of mice and after birds built a nest in a helmet that I had left on a shelf during the winter.

Since I got that pest repeller, zero issues.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:44 am quote
Some good advice here. As said, no need to change the oil in your bike or use a stabiliser if the oil is not that old anyway. If it's coming up to near it's change time (3 or 4 months away, then by all means change it as there will be better protection from acid corrosion with the new oil. If the bike is only going to stand for just a few weeks then even that isn't required.

My own bike only stands for a couple of weeks at most in winter so I never need to do that stuff. Regarding the tyres, if it's standing for 4 months it's a good idea to slightly over inflate the front tyre. This is common practice for bike storage. This prevents flatting of the tyre. The other thing is to rotate the front wheel a bit to allow the load to be taken on another part of the tyre.

You'll need to seek counselling and mental health help to get you through the winter if you cannot ride you scooter! It's commonly overlooked...lol!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:09 am quote
hexatony wrote:
Most don't work very well and if effective at al it is only short term. The ones that do will effect dogs and cats.
Molto Verboso
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 am quote
cdwise wrote:
Most don't work very well and if effective at al it is only short term. The ones that do will effect dogs and cats.
My experience says thatís completely wrong. I have dogs and they donít mind going in the garage. If it bothered them they wouldnít go in there. As my comment said my unit has been successful in keeping out rodents and birds. And if he keeps out a stray cat thatís a plus also!
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:52 am quote
This is all rather strange to me where I am. It is now almost 10PM and the temperature is 27C, dropping to 19C at dawn tomorrow, then back up to 34C by 3PM again...
We're cooking with solar out here this weekend !

Pretoria30Nov.png

Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:45 pm quote
Before your first ride after the hibernation, I'd suggest give the scooter a spray in case there are any red backs lurking, also let it idle for 5 - 10 mins in case red bellies have found a new home.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:17 am quote
If you people really loved your scooters you would ride them south for the winter.
Ossessionato
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:07 pm quote
znomit wrote:
If you people really loved your scooters you would ride them south for the winter.
What, they have not arrived yet?

tumblr_inline_pit4e0wpQ91vr6mlz_1280.png

Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:04 pm quote
If you just get the scoots here, I can arrange free storage over the Winter in Vioolsdrift...

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-12-01-sa-village-breaks-weather-record-with-temperatures-soaring-to-54c/

Record Hot.png

Last edited by Fudmucker on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
2013 GTS 300ie
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:17 pm quote
In my recent daydreaming-research into RVís, getting the tires off the ground is more about slowing dry rot than flat spots. The most common advice I saw was to avoid concrete and gravel/dirt by putting a plank of wood or plywood between the tire and the ground.
I try to ride when I can through winter, but if if it starts to get long between rides, I hook up the battery tender, fill the tank and use Seafoam/Stabil, and set a weekly reminder on my phone to check the tire air pressure weekly. That last bit is because I had a 10Ē tire on a Buddy 125 go completely flat overnight once from an extreme temperature drop...from 40F to 10F or something stupid-cold for my region. Speaking of...make sure you donít end up with water or snowmelt under your tires during a freeze. Itís a little panic-inducing to discover your scooter is frozen to the concrete.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:02 pm quote
Some recycled polystyrene packing material between the tire and the floor should do the trick. Cover the scoot with an old school woolen blanket left over after you changed to down duvets - or would that make the mice even happier?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:28 pm quote
RRider wrote:
znomit wrote:
What, they have not arrived yet?
Yes but they need to work on their landing technique

1574984264583.jpg

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:40 pm quote
What in Hades is this "storage" procedure y'all keep talking about?

It's the End of "Riding Season" (And I Feel Fine)
Molto Verboso
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 pm quote
RRider wrote:
Tires: my bikes lean on the side stand the ~6 months winter break. On gravel surface. I have not yet noticed or felt any flat spots.

Oh yeah, the Spring stood on the center stand as it did not have a side stand. No flat spots either.

I guess this "issue" is coming from the past, as cross ply tires could not handle well stand still position?

Oil: no need for stabilizers. A good = normal quality oil from a well known brand includes all possible chemicals that are needed.

Humidity, changing temperatures are the worst enemy of your engine internals with dirty oil. Dirty engine oil contains sulphur (from the burning process), this together with water makes suplhur acid... but oil change within recommended intervals & 4 months = no worries, is my personal opinion.

All in all - store your scoot in a dry place with constant temperature, if possible, then you won't have to worry about much else.
What is the temperature range where you live? Just curiosity...
I always thought that (relatively) in Finland it's a little cold.

I wanted to add that the problem of flattening the tires should (conditional) be greater on three-wheeled scooters because they are much heavier in the front due to the more complex front end.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:50 pm quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:
Our mice are smarter than that. They'll make a home in a cozy spot in the garage, chew the insulation off wires, pee on the electrical connectors, but ignore the bait.
Then try Mouse Magic Not a poison, they just don't like the smell of peppermint.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:55 pm quote
cdwise wrote:
One are garage stored either on a battery tender or I pull the battery and store it in the utility room Scoots on their center stands and motorcycle when I still had on on its side stand. I do put Stabil in the gas tank but that's it. Check tire pressure before riding again. If rodents were to become an issue I don't know what I'd do since poisoned bait is out of the question. We have too much wildlife that eat them including foxes, ravens and eagles to use it.

Never considered oil stabilizer, I just change it per scheduled maintenance.
Try mouse magic and it makes your garage smell like a peppermint stick.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:55 pm quote
Attila wrote:
I wanted to add that the problem of flattening the tires should (conditional) be greater on three-wheeled scooters because they are much heavier in the front due to the more complex front end.
But the weight is split over two front wheels.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:22 pm quote
Vintage1 wrote:
cdwise wrote:
My experience says thatís completely wrong. I have dogs and they donít mind going in the garage. If it bothered them they wouldnít go in there. As my comment said my unit has been successful in keeping out rodents and birds. And if he keeps out a stray cat thatís a plus also!
Any chance of a make and model number for the ones that are working for you?
Molto Verboso
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:40 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
cdwise wrote:
Any chance of a make and model number for the ones that are working for you?
Purchased at Home Depot. Brand- Victor. ďPest ChaserĒ Model M750.
It was a 2 or 3 pack.
Ossessionato
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:29 am quote
Attila wrote:
What is the temperature range where you live? Just curiosity...
I always thought that (relatively) in Finland it's a little cold.
Finland is shaped quite like Italy, except 1/3 of it is above the Arctic Circle.
So, record cold up north around - 50C (-60F)...and record hot at South +47C (99F).
Everything in between, with major variarion throughout the year.

Where I live... the hottest a bit over 30C, the coldest almost - 40C.....typically around +20C in summer and - 10...-25C in winter.

Screenshot_20191202_223253.jpg

Molto Verboso
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:05 am quote
... OK ... maybe one day I'll take a tour around here ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:03 am quote
My 2017 GTV 300 has been sitting in the underground parking for over 5 months without being ridden. It's not heated and we've had below freezing temps for a while now. Put the key in, turned the key, flipped the kill switch and she fired right up. I'm not saying putting a bike on a tender is a bad idea but these scoots can sit for a while and still start up.

Now I need to get my lazy ass to services Ontario. I've let the plate sticker expire and need to get a new one.
Molto Verboso
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:59 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
My 2017 GTV 300 has been sitting in the underground parking for over 5 months without being ridden. It's not heated and we've had below freezing temps for a while now. Put the key in, turned the key, flipped the kill switch and she fired right up. I'm not saying putting a bike on a tender is a bad idea but these scoots can sit for a while and still start up.

Now I need to get my lazy ass to services Ontario. I've let the plate sticker expire and need to get a new one.
What is the plate sticker ?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 am quote
Attila wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

What is the plate sticker ?
More money for the govt. You have to register your vehicle and pay a yearly fee. They give you a sticker with the year and month on it that goes on your license plate. The stickers expire on your birthday and you can renew for more than one year but for some reason last year I just did the Vespa for a year and not 2.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:08 am quote
Harbinger wrote:

But it is really hard on the battery and will shorten it's life. Once a battery is not fully charged sulfates start building up on the plates. Once sulfate is built up on the plate that area no long produces electricity.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

But it is really hard on the battery and will shorten it's life. Once a battery is not fully charged sulfates start building up on the plates. Once sulfate is built up on the plate that area no long produces electricity.
Then you buy a new battery, such is life.

I live in a condo, nowhere to plug a tender in.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.3170s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0453s) ][ Debug on ]