ET2 takes a LONG time to start if stored for weeks
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2004 Vespa ET2 50
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:33 pm quote
Sometimes my 2004 Vespa ET2 will go a few weeks without being ridden, and it will have to crank for a long time before it starts. The battery and starter work fine, and once it runs it goes flawlessly. I can stop it and restart it. Could the carburetor be drying out?
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 63 Li125, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86 Elite 80, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:33 pm quote
Could be. Could be flooding itself too. Notice a big plume of smoke once it starts?
Molto Verboso
lx 50
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:13 am quote
My LX50 2T was the same.

Use it everyday and it was fine. Never a hint of a problem even left over a weekend.

Go away for a week or two and hard to start.

I just squirted carb cleaner/easy start in the carb and boom it would fire straight up and be trouble free again till the next long break.
Ossessionato
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:41 am quote
Pull the spark plug and put a pic on here.
Scooter Pimp
------Piaggio Zip 100------
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:45 pm quote
Faulty fuel tap stuck open?
Scooter Pimp
------Piaggio Zip 100------
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:01 pm quote
Did you fix the fault in the end?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:54 pm quote
What happens with two strokes is that when they sit for a while the gas in the crankcase evaporates, leaving a lot of oil. When you go to start it up after a while, the gas vapor has to go down into the crankcase and then into the combustion chamber. It takes a little longer. When it does start, it usually smokes, sometimes for a couple of miles, while the excess oil in the crankcase is picked up by the gas vapor and burned. Once the combustion chamber gets up to about 450 degrees, the carbon build up on the spark plug from all that extra oil starts to be burned off.
It's just the way it is. Starter fluid is not a bad idea. I've done it.
The big problem with two strokes now is that they are very uncommon, so there aren't a lot of people who really know what they usually do or don't do, but a lot of people are willing to guess, and offer that as a recommendation.
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:43 am quote
Motovista wrote:
What happens with two strokes is that when they sit for a while the gas in the crankcase evaporates, leaving a lot of oil. When you go to start it up after a while, the gas vapor has to go down into the crankcase and then into the combustion chamber. It takes a little longer. .
Not only in the crankcase but in the carburettors too. I have a late sixties Suzuki that has a vacuum fuel tap and I try to disconnect the vacuum tube and run the fuel down before I store it for any length of time. Then I use the taps priming position to fill the float chambers with fresh fuel and that makes it easier to fire up after storage.
Hooked
Montebianco Primavera, Subaru turbo with Vespa trans
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:59 am quote
Motovista wrote:
What happens with two strokes is that when they sit for a while the gas in the crankcase evaporates, leaving a lot of oil. When you go to start it up after a while, the gas vapor has to go down into the crankcase and then into the combustion chamber. It takes a little longer. When it does start, it usually smokes, sometimes for a couple of miles, while the excess oil in the crankcase is picked up by the gas vapor and burned. Once the combustion chamber gets up to about 450 degrees, the carbon build up on the spark plug from all that extra oil starts to be burned off.
The big problem with two strokes now is that they are very uncommon, so there aren't a lot of people who really know what they usually do or don't do, but a lot of people are willing to guess, and offer that as a recommendation.
Umm, noo. When you kick (or hit starter button) on said two stroke the gas vapors move quite fast through the crankcase. I've had two strokes (I've owned maybe a dozen) sitting sometime a month or two and they would start right up.
Hooked
Montebianco Primavera, Subaru turbo with Vespa trans
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:00 am quote
The ET2 was notorious for having a leaky fuel tap. Replaced mine twice, after each time it worked perfectly.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:01 pm quote
knutte_i_amerika wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Umm, noo. When you kick (or hit starter button) on said two stroke the gas vapors move quite fast through the crankcase. I've had two strokes (I've owned maybe a dozen) sitting sometime a month or two and they would start right up.
That's fantastic. Most of the two stroke scooters I've seen that sit for a long time are hard to start and smoke like crazy when they are first started. Good to know none of yours did.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1898s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0700s) ][ Debug on ]