Shorter inseam, is this a problem?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
2020 GTS HPE 300
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:50 pm quote
I have a 29.5 inch inseam, and canít put my feet flat on the ground. I have the balls of my feet flat and the rest of my foot is probably just and inch or two above the pavement. I have personally had no issues keeping control of my GTS 300 even on various slopes. Iím only 105 pounds or so and not exactly in good shape physically.

Reading older posts, it seems like a lot of people donít like it if they canít have their entire foot on the ground. As a newbie, I now am wondering if I might have possible issues in the future I am too inexperienced to be aware of. Am I missing something, or is that simply personal preference? Thanks.
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:15 am quote
I wouldn't worry about it too much. When I was in Vietnam I saw many small girls on scooters who could not flat foot. I guess you adapt to what you have.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:21 am quote
Flat footing is not required. Half the riders of powered two wheeler cannot flat foot their bikes, especially the bigger bikes. As long as you are confident you can touch the ground comfortably with at least one foot and you watch out for uneven ground as you are coming to a stop, sloping cambers on the roads etc, then you shouldn't have any issues.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:27 am quote
I'm a short male, inseam almost exactly like yours.

If you can touch to the ground with your both feet at the same time, you should be fine in most situations.

The handicap of being short, or bikes being tall , is mainly present when moving the bike around at stand still, "duck walking" with it. The heavier the bike, the more you'd wish to have your feet solidly on the ground. If you feel OK now with the GTS, then everything is OK

I've ridden bikes where only my one foot at the time can touch the ground. Well, there are quite many bikes like that with my height. That can be even a bit dangerous with heavier motorcycles - if you are catched up with a situation of an uneven surface and a stand still situation, as an extreme example, say with a tall bike in off-road riding, you may end up leaning the bike too much to the direction where your foot is too far away from the ground. If the bike is heavy, surprisingly small lean angle can already be too much to be able to muscle the bike back up.

With a Vespa and both feet touching ground - this should not be an issue.
Hooked
2013 GTS300ie
Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:13 am quote
Re: Shorter inseam, is this a problem?
I am not much better than you at 31 inch inseam. I also single flat foot (my left due to a learned habit from bigger bikes) or two foot balls only.
I don't see any problem...
Ossessionato
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 am quote
Not a problem if it is not a problem for you, As long as you can safely ride, go for it!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:21 am quote
On a Vespa, meh you'll be fine. My wife's inseam I imagine is about the same and she handles the GTV just fine.

I'm just under 6 ft and have about a 32" inseam. I'm fortunate I suppose as it really does feel like I'm exactly what they design motorbikes for. I flat foot everything no problem and the fit is usually perfect except for on smallies but I don't ride them so no big deal.
Addicted
2017 BV 350 Matte Black
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:42 am quote
My inseam is 28 inches on a good day after stretching. Ridden LX 150, GTS 300 and now the BV 350, never could flat foot any of them. Balls of the feet are fine and if you don't feel stable, then one foot by leaning to one side. As pointed out earlier, the biggest problem is backing up, but you get used to that as well. You can try things like shaved seats (did that on the GTS and found the new seat (done by the defunct Pirate Upholstery) not as comfortable as stock although I got another inch or two. Sometimes just sliding forward on the seat gives you a little more reach as well. You'll figure it out over time.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:23 pm quote
Personal preference. Iím an inseam 31, and my bike is a little too tall for me to flat foot. I like the feeling of at least one flat foot so I bought a pair of Doc Martens with a nice thicker sole. Also, flat foot on my left and like 80% on the right if I need to. Helps a lot with confidence at stops but when Iím wearing flat Sambas, I just scoot (pun intended) to the front of the scooter seat. Itís tapered and allows you to ďfootĒ a little more. Try that: itís cheaper than the boots...
2020 GTS HPE 300
Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:41 pm quote
Iíve not had any issues walking the scoot. I live in an apartment and I walk it out the opening gate and down the driveway before turning out. Iíve also had no issue backing up. I currently am only driving roads I know very well so I am not dealing with a surprise sloped road or anything else to gain safe experience.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:26 pm quote
I've had a couple tall motorcycles over the years, but always comfortable if I could have a ball of the foot down solid.

If you can get on to the ball of your feet when on the scoot, you should be fine.
Hooked
2010 GTS 300(Sold) 2008 Silverwing "Train"/2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:23 pm quote
As long as you can keep the bike centered upright on tiptoes or the balls of your feet, you'll be fine. Practice flat-footing to each side while keeping the opposite foot on the bike. Also, practice rocking the bike from tiptoe to tiptoe to get a sense of the balance point.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Typhoon 125
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:53 pm quote
My inseam is also exactly the same as yours. I have been riding a GTS for years with no problem.
Hooked
GTS 300
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:59 pm quote
I'm also a short leg rider (27")

Something I have been practicing at stops is , I just scoot forward and stand up.

If I know it's going to be a short pause stop , I lean the bike one way or the other
depending on the situation and just put one foot down as flat as I can.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:34 pm quote
My stats: 5'8", inseam roughly the same as yours. Never ridden an "adult" PTW where I could get both feet flat on the ground at once. Same deal with my GTS: balls of both feet, yes, and that's plenty to keep things stable, even on questionable surfaces. I think you're doing fine.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 am quote
I'm 5'9" and have a 29 inch inseam as well. I can't wear flat soled shoes. I wear Chelsea Boots or shoes with a heel and typically a non-slip grip on the sole.

At a stop I'll typically lean to my left to flat foot on that side. Maneuver your butt up and back on the seat. You'll find a comfortable position.

I wouldn't overthink it too much. Weather conditions would dictate what types of shoes you should wear when riding but I have seen some scooter commuters here in Sacramento in closed toed heels (Stiletto's and wedges). Not advising this, just saying I've seen it!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:14 am quote
Keep in mind, itís not just seat height that is a factor - itís width, too. Think of the difference between a bicycle seat and a horse saddle. A GTS seat is somewhere in the middle... Like you, I too have a 29-30Ē inseam. The seat on my Yamaha Tmax is listed (in the specs) as 31Ē, and I have no problem with it at stops. I just shift ever so slightly to my left side, and I can put my whole foot down. The big thing to be cognizant of - even though youíre in fair-weather San Diego - is foot placement on wet pavement. If itís just rained, or somebodyís sprinklers have soaked the road where you are coming to a stop, planting your one foot on wet leaves, the painted stripes on the road, or anything metal (like a manhole cover or plate in the road) can be treacherous. Avoid those scenarios if possible, or be prepared for your foot to slide a little bit out from under you (and the bike). Wearing shoes with appropriate grip/traction will make a world of difference (aka, no flip flops, Crocs, etc), unless you donít mind a broken ankle...
Your Rally Here   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1442s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0225s) ][ Debug on ]