CDI Installation
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
1963 Allstate, 2005 Vespa PX150, 2001 Harley 95 ci Dyna
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:14 am quote
I mentioned before that my brother has a 1965 VBB that was extremely difficult to start. He then had a CDI system installed and now the bike starts with just a few kinks and runs great. He even has much brighter lights due to the 12 volt system. Here is an interesting video showing how to install a CDI system.

As for my 1963 Allstate, I will install a CDI system when my current point system starts to give me problems. I think the start-of-the-art CDI systems are better than the old point systems.
Ossessionato
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:01 am quote
Could you put in a link as well? Chrome won't play this version, Thx
Molto Verboso
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 T5, 1996 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:05 am quote
Here you go...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLaMkmzkgTc
Enthusiast
1965 VBB/2005 Stella
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:16 am quote
Speaking as one who has done the conversion, its well worth it.
After the complete rebuild of my 1965 VBB, including a new stator (several actually), new coil and complete new wiring harness it was very difficult to start. Once started it ran well but 250 to 300 kicks was not unusual.
I had spark, what I thought was good spark so I went looking at other reasons for this hard starting delima. It all came back to the ignition.
A CDI upgrade was installed and all those problems went away. It is now a solid
3 kick starting scooter.
Love the 12 volt system and all the benefits it offers.
Yes, for all you true "keep the vespa original" folks out there I understand where your coming from in wanting to keep the point system but for me to having a beautiful vintage Vespa that I can actually start and ride its well worth the update.
I never thought twice about doing it and never looked back since.
Molto Verboso
1963 VBB2T

Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:57 pm quote
Mickeyfan1 wrote:
After the complete rebuild of my 1965 VBB, including a new stator (several actually), new coil and complete new wiring harness it was very difficult to start. Once started it ran well but 250 to 300 kicks was not unusual.
I had spark, what I thought was good spark so I went looking at other reasons for this hard starting delima. It all came back to the ignition.
3 kick starting scooter.
Yes, for all you true "keep the vespa original" folks out there I understand where your coming from in wanting to keep the point system but for me to having a beautiful vintage Vespa that I can actually start and ride its well worth the update.
Did you have to change all your litebulbs and horn over to 12 Volt?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special + projects
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:02 pm quote
Mickeyfan1 wrote:
3 kick starting scooter.
You may have had a weak component. I have points bikes that start easily mostly, and often when they won't, it's gas. Still, CDIs are more reliable when they work and are just shite when they don't, when they're dead or is it the sensor??? But USUALLY points can be cajoled or FORCED to work good enough somehow until you get home, with maybe a small part and a few tools.

12V good lighting is just so tempting though, right? Hmmmmm...
Enthusiast
1965 VBB/2005 Stella
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:48 am quote
To answer LynnB's question.
Yes, all the light bulbs were changed over. Did not change the horn.
I think the brake switch had to be reworked to function the opposite way as it does when 6v. As I recall this is what Cleveland Moto explained to me. They were the ones doing the work.

After hours upon hours of my trying to figure out why this scooter was so hard to start I broke down and took it to them, the experts. They played with it for months before calling and telling me they had no idea what the problem might be. It was then that I suggested a CDI conversion and the service manager agreed but would not guarantee that it would solve the problem. Thankfully it did and now it starts very easy, usually just 3 kicks no matter how long it sits.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1254s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0389s) ][ Debug on ]