It's the End of "Riding Season" (And I Feel Fine)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:22 pm quote
Neighbor: Where are you storing your scooter for Winter?
Me:

Perhaps, being much-farther along in life, I actually delight in getting attention for apparently-weird behavior I absolutely strived to avoid in my youth. Temperatures all into the 40's, and most folks in the area have mothballed their wheels for the year, but there I go, running to Best Buy, Wegmans and Costco on Melody, straight through November, December, January, and most of February, stopping for the eventual snowdrift and black icing, which on average idles the scoot for about 2-3 weeks out of the entire year. I keep thinking I might need to hook up a battery tender for insurance, but so far I've been fine. (I might replace the battery next year.) When I got the bike (with tons of help from Le Wife), I swore that this thing was my year-round Main Axe, only relenting for the most-severe conditions, and so far, I've pretty much kept to that edict.

Of course, there are changes: This year marked when a lot more of my miles were true shits-n-grins-only excursions, and not just short rides: one run to Phildelphia, and, shortly thereafter, to NYC, which I plan to expand on next year (proposed: Maryland and Boston). I've had more damned fun on the road the last two months than I can ever remember.

Which brings me to Winter. This will officially be my fourth that I've ridden all the way through. And here is where I disclose how I've prepared and survived, and simultaneously solicit advice on Doing it Better, because I know y'all know more than I do (even if I haven't screwed up too badly, near as I can tell):

The Bike:

- Periodic wash-down, and PTFE treatment: Yes, with snow and ice comes plowing, sand-and-salt-spraying, and Melody's made its way through both. This is the best I can do against corrosion, short of just hanging it up for the season, which just isn't me. Also, One of Dowco's best scooter covers, since the detached garage that originally came with the house was in such bad shape that we elected to terabit down, leaving us with a nice driveway (which wasn't at all nice until we spent a ton of money on that). But Mel's spot is nestled between two houses, shielding it from the the absolute worst while idle.

Riding

- It's said that the worst thing you can do with a bike is let it sit idle, and after four years together, I'm strongly inclined to agree. Not that it's ever run badly, but the more, and harder, I've ridden it, the better it runs, and the better I've understood its strengths and weaknesses. I've been told that the more i've ridden it long distances, the more I'd go pining for something bigger. Guess what? That hasn't happened. Improvements? Maybe: I'll be looking into adjustable brake levers, which have been the list for a while; farther off in the future are new shocks, most likely Malossi.

Riding Gear

- I think I've pretty much dialed that part in: the RevIt! jacket (not sure which model, but in the Sport-Touring mold, not far removed from the Sand 3) I bought used a few years back has been fabulous for Winter riding. My Joe Rocket Windchill gloves are generally good down to about 35°F for upwards of 10 miles, and since I mainly do short hops in Winter, that serves just fine. Since I only ride with a full-face helmet, my head suffers very , very little this time of year. My Wolverine "waterproof" boots have served me well the last three Winters, even though they're technically unlined.

melodyonhigh.jpg
In the sun...

melodystaplesrain.jpg
…soaked...

melodysnownew17.jpg
…and after that notorious Snow Ride (already written about)

Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:43 pm quote
Not entirely off-topic, as I can see this being part of the reason for your enthusiasm:

Amateriat, you do have a good looking scoot!

Shiny black.... the black/ chrome rims... smoky, short screen.... NO top box (they are very handy, but aesthically challenging).... really, among the coolest and purests Vespas in my eyes.

No wonder you ride it throughout the year!
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:05 am quote
Whatever you can say about the use of the scooter what is important is to use it, it did not mean how and where ... if you can and want to use it use it. From me you will have admiration and consideration (even a bit of envy )
We are in this forum also because being a scooterist makes us different from the crowd.
Friendly: Attilio aka Attila
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 am quote
Good post. I think there are 3 or 4 of us that really winter ride up in the northern part of NA. This year I will probably stick to the Ural for the most part and why I bought it. The or the BMW simply because it has a heated seat and grips. The Vespa I'll take out on nicer days to keep a charge on the battery.

The Russian rig has the chunky winter tires, heated grips and muffs. I do miss not having a skirt on the bike but picked up some heavy wind/waterproof pants that easily go over jeans.

IMG_1142.jpeg

Hooked
GTS 300
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:17 am quote
Seeing you way cool Ural with the side car, makes me wonder

how the Royal Enfield "Himalayan" might handle a side car ??

Anyone got one ??
Molto Verboso
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:30 am quote
DandyDoug wrote:

Anyone got one ??
http://www.centoallora.net/non-solo.html
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:41 am quote
Attila wrote:
DandyDoug wrote:

Anyone got one ??
http://www.centoallora.net/non-solo.html
Hmmm... surprisingly many Harley Davidson models look like made for sidecars.

The weirdest one.... well, at least Honda Transalp gets one vote from me
Molto Verboso
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:52 am quote
In my opinion the "automatic" scooters are the least suitable for the sidecar, to stay in topic I say that with one more support point maybe going (prudently) on the road in winter is better ... maybe.
Otherwise you can mount chains for scooters:

2020 GTS HPE 300
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:24 am quote
And this San Diegan only has to dress in an extra layer and make sure my scooter runs a bit longer before taking it for a ride. I have lived in six winters not by choice, I don’t miss it.
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:15 pm quote
It was a cool day here, but the riding was great...

My wife put the liner in her jacket and wore flannel-lined jeans. That's for a day in the upper 60s. We are acclimated to our sub-tropical climate.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2019/12/cool-change.html

There is no "end of the riding season" here, but there are days, like the last few, where we don't want to be out in what passes for cold here.

I'm with SDscooterista: I don't miss the snow and cold.
2020 GTS HPE 300
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:01 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
My wife put the liner in her jacket and wore flannel-lined jeans. That's for a day in the upper 60s. We are acclimated to our sub-tropical climate.
Similar - liner in my jacket and the rain/windproof pants over the jeans and I am good to go, even in mind to high 50s.
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:53 pm quote
There is no "end of the riding season" in the UK unless you are a wuss.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:08 am quote
Believe me if I could get out of here and earn what I do now I would. However that is still a few years away for me. I'm thinking of semi retirement at about 55 or so. Our best friends just semi retired and moved to Victoria which is what we're thinking of doing. Winters are milder there and the living more laid back. Big city living can take it's toll after a while and winters even in Toronto I'm starting to get sick of. But until then I guess just gear up and ride.
Hooked
GTS 300
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:29 am quote
We Are originally from Michigan , discovered the Carolina's back in the early 90's. Decided it might be ok to retire here.

Moved here from Fl. the minute before the real estate bubble burst.

Winters here are getting too cold for us , but are stuck here as long as wife's mom is alive. Then we will make another moving decision. So for the moment we deal with is as best as we can.

Thursday it looks like it will be above 50* so I'm planning a lunch ride with a couple other guys. They have not yet seen the light about Scooters, but I'm letting them see how happy I am with no shifting, and so much less weight to deal with.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:46 am quote
Well today was it. My first day out where I otherwise would have not been on either of my other bikes. It was a blast! The rig also handles surprisingly well with the chunky winter tires on. Did not skid when breaking or lose traction even on right hand turns.

IMG_1169.jpeg

IMG_1176.jpeg

IMG_1177.jpeg

Hooked
GTS 250, LX 50, and Falcon 200
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:24 pm quote
I am someone like you. I ride whenever I can. In the winter there are short distances but I still seem to make them worthwhile. When it gets icy and really bad I usually call friends to drive me to the grocery store. But I never turn down a winter ride weather permitting.
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:29 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Well today was it. My first day out where I otherwise would have not been on either of my other bikes. It was a blast! The rig also handles surprisingly well with the chunky winter tires on. Did not skid when breaking or lose traction even on right hand turns.
So you got her back from the dealer, Sean? Good news! I think I was driving on College yesterday and came across a building and saw a sign on an entrance "Harbinger". Is that you?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm quote
Max6201 wrote:
I am someone like you. I ride whenever I can. In the winter there are short distances but I still seem to make them worthwhile. When it gets icy and really bad I usually call friends to drive me to the grocery store. But I never turn down a winter ride weather permitting.
Yup, Max exactly why I bought this rig and had it setup the way it is. It's actually going to be at the big Toronto winter motorcycle show on display. They want it brought in unwashed and dirty to display that way. Too many days the last few winters where I couldn't take a bike out because of snow and ice and I wanted a solution. I was pretty stoned on meds prior to emergency dental work a few years ago and said I needed to step out to call an employee as I was going to be out for the rest of the day and needed some fresh air. Anyway one of the nurses came down with me and I saw this guy ride by on a Ural in a snow storm. It was a little surreal... That got the bug in me and when I decided I might really want a Ural. In 2019 there was a major engine upgrade and that made my mind up for me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:47 pm quote
Soul Surfer wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
So you got her back from the dealer, Sean? Good news! I think I was driving on College yesterday and came across a building and saw a sign on an entrance "Harbinger". Is that you?
Yeah, they actually drove it from Acton to Toronto to make sure it was OK! That's some pretty good customer service. Especially considering after Scott dropped it off he starting waling to the Go Station... I figured there would be a support vehicle but nope... Mind you Scott raced bikes before and getting to ride in to the city while being on the clock was something he had no problem doing. OVC I have to say has really stepped up. SO we walked to Union and took the train back. New battery and starter, think it's all been sorted out. Old Vintage Cranks has been really good to me and I'm lucky to have them and Lou . Even Andrew at BMW has been good to deal with, I think Motorrad Toronto in satiating to get their act together.

Nah, Harbinger is pretty common tough when I came with the gamer tag ages ago I thought I was being original Still get pretty lucky and get to use it as handle without having to add too many numbers etc to it to make it unique... "Harbinger of Doom" etc was my inspiration for the handle and works good for gaming.... It was originally for a CSS/SOF2 gaming clan where we did tournament play.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1830s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0340s) ][ Debug on ]