GTS300 20k km / 12k mi service difficulty
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:44 am quote
I'm looking at a GTS that has had all its maintenance done at Motorsports in SD by me, so it's up to date. It is, however, coming up on the 20K km service where the valve adjust is done. I got to watching some videos from Motorsports and I think I can do all of this. For your reference, I've happily removed and rebuilt a P200 and a vintage Primavera engine, so it's not like I'm a novice, but somehow the new bikes get in my head a bit as more complicated. Am I making this out to be more difficult than it is? I'm thinking that if I just get over it and do it, I'll probably handle all the routine maintenance on this thing if I buy it. Most likely I need to make a wheel chock and get a small frame jack like Robot uses in the videos to make the job easier, and maybe some swivel sockets. Otherwise, it looks like I have the tools.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:37 am quote
If you're doing a belt and maybe a new rear tyre or rear brake pads it adds hardly any extra time to the service - maybe 15 minutes tops, including hunting for the feeler gauges you just KNEW were in that drawer. Go for it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:47 pm quote
jimc wrote:
If you're doing a belt and maybe a new rear tyre or rear brake pads it adds hardly any extra time to the service - maybe 15 minutes tops, including hunting for the feeler gauges you just KNEW were in that drawer. Go for it.
Umm, maybe for you, Jim, but as I recall, from doing it just a few months back, it seemed to consume a whole lot more time than that...

I usually think how long it should take me to do something and pretty much triple it.

Other than the time factor (and a lot of that for me was screwing around trying to get the scooter jacked up properly), I agree that it's a reasonably easy task.....
Ossessionato
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:05 pm quote
I'm not sure if I need a new jack like Robot uses in the video or if I can get by with my current method. I have a 2x6 on top of a 1/2" plywood piece with guard rails that I put the center stand on when dropping the engines on the vintage bikes. I think it might provide enough lift to drop the engine enough to get the job done. It's amazing what a few inches on the center stand pivot point will do to allow more engine drop.
Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am quote
I second the vote for raising your center stand on blocks for more dropability. I hiked mine up on doubled up 2s10's. I then dropped the rear shock upper mounting nuts, and used a small automotive floor jack to raise the engine thus dropping the valve cover. I like doing the valves as part of a plug/belt maintenance. I'd also recommend getting the two dedicated feeler guages Robot uses in the video. I had a set of feeler guages. It was a bit tricky working 1 out of a set of 20 into place.
Ossessionato
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:35 am quote
Thanks, those feeler gauges looked handy to me as well, I will pick those up. Iím not quite getting how you used the jack, though. Isnít gravity enough to drop the engine, it sounds like youíre just pushing on the opposite end of the swing arm. Maybe Iím not visualizing it yet.
Hooked
2009 250
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:08 pm quote
I made a wheel chock out of some scrap wood and used a strap to hold down the front end. It will want to raise up when you lift the body up.

I used a basic scissor jack and a piece of wood wider than the scotter for stability and lifted the body up from just behind the battery box.

With the shocks undone the engine head pivots up and you check the valves from under the seat.

I didn't need any swivel sockets. If you need more room you just raise the jack more. You have to loosen the electrical cables to give them more slack and cut some cable ties holing them in place.

I don't see a reason to put the centre stand on any wood. Once you raise the jack, the centre stand is in the air.

59.jpg
Note the strap

61 intake.jpg
Lots o' room

Ossessionato
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:06 pm quote
thanks s.ro.

raising the center stand sometimes will get you enough lift that you don't need the jack underneath. Sometimes not. But I appreciate the alternative feedback, as I have an automotive hydraulic jack and plenty of wood scraps along with jack stands - it should be able to work out with your method.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1622s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0351s) ][ Debug on ]