@wallyging avatar
UTC

Lurker
GTS Super 300

Lurker
@wallyging avatar
GTS Super 300
UTC quote
Apologies if this has been covered before - I searched the forum and didn't find anything addressing my specific issue.

I'm a newbie when it comes to Vespas, this 2009 GTS 300 being my first. I bought it used and have been going through it making sure everything is as it should be. I started by replacing the clock battery, and then one thing led to another....

In the process I removed the glove box cover, noted a few missing screws and one broken tab. Everything checked out and then put it back on. I installed the large screw between the latch and the tool compartment, popped the glove box door a bit to get it to close, and replaced the rest of the screws. Then I discovered what is apparently a common mistake for inexperienced (and perhaps impatient) Vespa wrenches. I didn't know about the rubber band so when in I installed the cover the glove box latch was in the wrong position and now it is jammed.

The first photo below is a close up of the problem, and the second is zoomed back out to show the perspective from which the first one is taken - looking down along the rear left side of the steering column. The numbers in the first photo are the part numbers in the fiche shown below.

The problem (as I am understanding it) is the lower end of the lever (#33 in the photo) that is operated by the key to open the latch is now between the latch (#21) and the backside of the cover (#1 in the fiche) rather than in front of the latch where it should be. With the lever between the latch and the cover the latch is not able to open fully (move rearward toward the cover) to release the glove box door. I have managed to get a hooked tool behind the glove box door and pull pretty hard but it doesn't open.

What other options should I be considering? My fallback idea is to drill a small hole in the glove box door where the big screw is so I can insert a screwdriver to remove the screw and take the entire cover off again.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this particular problem, but none of the posts I found on the forum seemed to address this issue specifically. What am I missing?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@wallyging avatar
UTC

Lurker
GTS Super 300

Lurker
@wallyging avatar
GTS Super 300
UTC quote
Still ruminating over my stuck glove box latch. Thinking maybe I could break the top of the latch off - I read that it is pot metal. Also trying to figure out how I could cut the nut off the bolt that holds the lever from the key.

Getting tempted to drill a hole....
OP
@wallyging avatar
UTC

Lurker
GTS Super 300

Lurker
@wallyging avatar
GTS Super 300
UTC quote
SUCCESS!

Rather than deal with the latch (#21), which is attached to the plastic glove box door, I decided to work on the lock lever (#33), hoping it was also pot metal, and which is attached firmly to the steel steering column...

With a piece of 1" aluminum stock I was able to reach the "T" on the end of the lock lever (#33 in the photo) and with a couple of sharp raps with a small hammer broke it off. Now there was room for the top of the latch to move to the rear and release the glove box door.

The lock lever is available from ScooterWest for only $2.95 and it saved me drilling a hole in the door. Yea!

Even though I haven't gotten any responses to my post, I've found this Forum tremendously helpful to me in understanding the problem I was dealing with and various ways to address it. Thanks to all!
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
Glad you worked it out!
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Clap emoticon Glad you got things sorted.

Usually you can expect quite a bit of help here, but sometimes takes patience for advice to dribble in. Nerd emoticon

Thanks for adding your experience to the pool of knowledge on this site.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0453s ][ Queries: 9 (0.0181s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]