The donor came to me off of the local buy and sell as a completely haggard unit. It had a blown up 50cc driveline as well as a 150 leader engine out of a Piaggio Fly. The previous owner gave up on the whole thing and never got the project finished.
I swapped the whole Derbi Boulevard driveline and front end onto the donor chassis which has me with a spare 150cc leader engine for when this one blows up. The power unit bolts right in with room to run the 13" Derbi wheel; the front end required cutting of the tub which I didn't feel bad about as it was crushed when I got it anyways.
The Derbi harness worked just fine and I'm running the Derbi dash.. I'm going to weld up a headlight frame to keep going with the Rat rod theme. Here are some pics of when I got it, when the swap was happening and today's progress which was fitting the front end.
I would have liked to keep the Vespa front fork but finding a 12 or 13" front wheel so that I could run a pilot power was too expensive for the project. The Derbi was bought for $400, (a few years ago) the Vespa and all its spare parts for $450 and the sticky rubber for $200-ish so this thing should be coming in around $1000 CAD or so. (thats about $750 USD) Good fun with the build and subsequent operation for a pretty reasonable amount of money.
Last edited by smstar on Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total