No electricity on spark plug on my vespa lx 50
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
LX 50
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:12 pm quote
I was riding my LX 50 and at a red light after riding 6 miles, it just stopped working. everything lights up, signals, horn, brake lights. When I press the starter button, the engine moves. but just doesnt turn on. luckily, I was a couple of blocks away from a shop and the mechanic took out the plug and theres no spark. Can the most likely culprit be the stator or cdi?
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:59 pm quote
Could be a few things. Id start by checking making sure all the wires to the CDI and HT coil are nice and tight. Then check the spark plug wire and make sure its also secure on both ends. Last check would be looking for spark with a new spark plug.

Still nothing, Id move on to the switches. Check the kill switch, key switch and if equipped a kickstand switch and make sure those work as designed.

Then Id go to all the connectors. Make sure those are pushed on tight/ holding tight/ clean etc. etc. Id definitely check the ones coming off the stator and going into the harness.

Next would be the time I download the service manual. Inside it tells you how to troubleshoot stator and CDI problems with a multimeter. One of the items listed in the manual is the voltage you should be getting through the ignition wires with the motor turning. If your values differ then you could have a harness issue.

If the voltage and harness looked good AND the manual showed the stator good, Id replace the CDI. Last would be a stator replacement. This is the hardest to access and the most expensive parts wise.

I just did these checks on an ET2. Turns out the ignition wires were shorting close to the handlebars. Spliced in a new wire and alls well.

Keep us posted.
LX 50
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:50 pm quote
MJRally wrote:
Could be a few things. Id start by checking making sure all the wires to the CDI and HT coil are nice and tight. Then check the spark plug wire and make sure its also secure on both ends. Last check would be looking for spark with a new spark plug.

Still nothing, Id move on to the switches. Check the kill switch, key switch and if equipped a kickstand switch and make sure those work as designed.

Then Id go to all the connectors. Make sure those are pushed on tight/ holding tight/ clean etc. etc. Id definitely check the ones coming off the stator and going into the harness.

Next would be the time I download the service manual. Inside it tells you how to troubleshoot stator and CDI problems with a multimeter. One of the items listed in the manual is the voltage you should be getting through the ignition wires with the motor turning. If your values differ then you could have a harness issue.

If the voltage and harness looked good AND the manual showed the stator good, Id replace the CDI. Last would be a stator replacement. This is the hardest to access and the most expensive parts wise.

I just did these checks on an ET2. Turns out the ignition wires were shorting close to the handlebars. Spliced in a new wire and alls well.

Keep us posted.
I was working on changing the batteries on the clock. I dismantled the handle and put everything back together. After riding for 30-40 minutes just fine, at the red light, I pushed the left side of the handle panels together (thought it was a bit loose) and that's when it shut off - instantly. I mean right to the second. when I got the bike back at home, I did take everything off again to make sure all is well but it was a no go. still no spark.

is there any way for me to test the stator or cdi without taking them out? now am thinking if its a wire on the handle.
LX 50
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:43 pm quote
MJRally wrote:

Keep us posted.
it took a while to get the piece but It was the coil. I replaced it and now it works flawlessly.
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:05 pm quote
Good deal. Thanks for the report back.
LX 50
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:08 pm quote
MJRally wrote:
Good deal. Thanks for the report back.
for sure! am just happy to get it back running. I seriously broke the vespa apart several times checking everything but with these symptoms, it just had to be either the regulator.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1322s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0328s) ][ Debug on ]