Anybody tried a "booster plug" idea?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Hooked
Fuoco 500ie - 2007, Benelli Adiva 150 - 2003
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:02 pm quote
Hi All

Been quite a while since I posted as my Fuoco is still waiting for me to try and sort out its parking computer failure

While surfing the web on some other issues I found this entry from an italian guy who seems to know a bit about electronics. He is talking about altering the output of the temp sensor to the ECU so the ECU thinks the air temp is a little colder than it actually is and enriches the mixture slightly when the bike is idling or accelerating.

https://www.monocilindro.com/2018/12/27/make-your-own-booster-plug-for-your-ducati/

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-faq.html

The explanation is a bit complicated but basically you add in a couple of temperature sensitive resistors in line with the temperature sensor.

Struck me that perhaps this might help with the variable idle speed that I've always had on the Fuoco. If I ever get it back on the road I'll take a further look.

While the Fuoco is off the road I've been riding a Honda SH300i which is a prettly impressive ride, even if it does look like a shopping scooter.

I also had a Honda Integra 700 for a while but it was a very heavy beast and I didn't really need the motorway munching capabilities that it offers.

Just to complete the fleet update I have a Benelli Adiva 150 which I am doing a bit of renovation on before selling it.

Finally a Happy Christmas to you all!
Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:17 am quote
dont think possible on mp3. that sensor is mounted in the throttle body. you cant intercept wire from sensor to ecu.

correct me if i am wrong
Hooked
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:27 am quote
Thanks for the response, will try and confirm that..one thing hit me though, if the sensor broke would you need to buy a whole new throttle body? Ouch!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:12 am quote
Not good for the motor though, as it will always be running rich which will put more by products into the oil. And your mileage will go down.
Hooked
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:53 am quote
That may be true, I'm always a bit sceptical of these wonderful third-party modifications, however according to the blurb on this page of the power booster website..

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-24.html

"If your bike is from 2006 or newer, it will be featuring Closed Loop operation, and then the resistor tuning idea is even smarter. The lambda sensor will try to adjust the mixture back to the pre-programmed level, but the time delay mentioned earlier will work to our advantage.

In conditions where you maintain constant RPM and throttle opening while cruising on the open roads, the feedback from the lambda sensor will adjust the mixture back to the original level, and our small tuning device will sit idle and wait for something to happen. This is fine you don't need the richer mixture at level speed.

As soon as RPM or throttle opening moves, the fuel map will shift horizontally or vertically on the 15 x 15 grid, and the lambda sensor feedback will be temporarily disabled. This means that the ECU runs open loop for a short period every time we change RPM or throttle, and the enrichment from the AIT sensor modification kicks in exactly at this point.

As the enrichment will only be effective under these conditions, the extra fuel consumption will only be aprox. One third of the 6%, so if your usual fuel consumption was 5.0 liter / 100 km, it will now be 5.1 liter. Still while maintaining all the positive effects."

However if you are always riding in town like me, I think that you would probably be right that you would be running a richer engine more of the time..

The Power Booster site has a pretty good introduction to how ECUs work and is worth a read if you are interested in that kind of stuff..
Hooked
2016 BV350
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:11 pm quote
On my WR250R a Booster Plug made the bike run night and day better.
Banned
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 pm quote
Made my 2004 BMW RT-P run much better. Got rid of a surging when ridden at a steady 35-40 MPH that they were prone to.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:02 am quote
Best idea is to use a different ecu map. Most bikes have aftermarket maps available from dealers. I used to flash the ecu with a new map to cure surging and sometimes a fluffy throttle response in the midrange on Vstrom 1000's and GSX1400's.

Scooters are no different. But you don't need big alterations to the original maps fuelling info to cure these things. Just a 1% increase at the troublesome rev range is often enough and completely cures the issues giving much smoother throttle responses without affecting fuel economy.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:31 pm quote
Here in Thailand had them for Honda PCX since the beginning.

Isn't the same thing possible with a Lambda emulator and for Vespa may be purchased from Malossi.
Hooked
GTS250ie "Mechanical Squirrel", MP3 500 Touring "the Donkey", '66 Honda Benly, Suzuki 250 cafe "Mouse", Jawa 350TS
Location: Burlington ONT... Directly above the center of the earth.
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:51 pm quote
I put a Booster Plug on my Suzuki a few weeks back. The improvement in low speed running is quite impressive, it cured all the surging and low speed tractability issues. Well worth the cost and the ten minutes it takes to install.
Hooked
2016 BV350
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:30 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
Best idea is to use a different ecu map. Most bikes have aftermarket maps available from dealers. I used to flash the ecu with a new map to cure surging and sometimes a fluffy throttle response in the midrange on Vstrom 1000's and GSX1400's.

Scooters are no different. But you don't need big alterations to the original maps fuelling info to cure these things. Just a 1% increase at the troublesome rev range is often enough and completely cures the issues giving much smoother throttle responses without affecting fuel economy.
Sounds like you've never used one. For those of us that actually have it's a nice improvement.

On Japanese machines there are no alternative maps available at dealers. Even with street Euro machines dealers are not offering up alt maps either. Maybe on KTM dirt bikes but that's about it.

I've asked and they say this is all we have...this latest US update.

Now there are send in ECU tuning services like this one but this is ALOT different than anything a dealer has dude.

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/product-category/ecu-flashing-service/?swoof=1&min_price=45&max_price=749&paged=1&really_curr_tax=1150-product_cat

So for $160 you can get a proven Booster Plug or for 2x an ECU flash.

BP has no Piaggio listing in the end but he is open to new models.
They recently added the Himalayan.
https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

Malossi makes a version so it seems.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2146s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0807s) ][ Debug on ]