Riding and Rusting after snow
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6105
Location: Downtown Toronto
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:18 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
Welcome to Connecticut, soon to also implement tolls for your driving pleasure.
Good luck with that. When both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway were built, people were surprised and upset that there’d be toll booths. Not to worry, the state said, they’ll only be there long enough to pay for the construction cost of the highways! And we all know how that went. 60 years later they’re still there.
There is no such thing as a temporary tax. Once the government starts putting the money in the coffers they discover they like it and can always blame the previous administration. There are so many taxes that were meant to be temporary measures.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7774
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:03 am quote
Vintage1 wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
Welcome to Connecticut, soon to also implement tolls for your driving pleasure.
Good luck with that. When both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway were built, people were surprised and upset that there’d be toll booths. Not to worry, the state said, they’ll only be there long enough to pay for the construction cost of the highways! And we all know how that went. 60 years later they’re still there.
Virginia is adding FastToll lanes to major highway in the area. First was I95, then 495 now Rt 66 and 395.
People hate them in their cars. I love them as motorcycles can ride them for free.

Way they work, private company builds the roads by adding 2 lanes in each direction between the existing lanes and adds EZ Pass toll readers. Price changes as traffic gets heavier.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 6105
Location: Downtown Toronto
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:22 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
Welcome to Connecticut, soon to also implement tolls for your driving pleasure.
Good luck with that. When both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway were built, people were surprised and upset that there’d be toll booths. Not to worry, the state said, they’ll only be there long enough to pay for the construction cost of the highways! And we all know how that went. 60 years later they’re still there.
Virginia is adding FastToll lanes to major highway in the area. First was I95, then 495 now Rt 66 and 395.
People hate them in their cars. I love them as motorcycles can ride them for free.

Way they work, private company builds the roads by adding 2 lanes in each direction between the existing lanes and adds EZ Pass toll readers. Price changes as traffic gets heavier.
Here is the thing. - Roads and infrastructure are something that should be maintained under current tax revenue. By building "private" roads you are moving control over to the private sector which is for profit . Being able to travel across the country is part of what built the country. Many govt's are not spending money on building infrastructure and this shapes things. I can guarantee you part of the reason Toronto is growing the way it is and adding high-rise after high-rise is people are giving up and just moving to the city and trying to get in to it is a nightmare.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7774
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:01 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
orange s150 wrote:
Welcome to Connecticut, soon to also implement tolls for your driving pleasure.
Good luck with that. When both the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway were built, people were surprised and upset that there’d be toll booths. Not to worry, the state said, they’ll only be there long enough to pay for the construction cost of the highways! And we all know how that went. 60 years later they’re still there.
Virginia is adding FastToll lanes to major highway in the area. First was I95, then 495 now Rt 66 and 395.
People hate them in their cars. I love them as motorcycles can ride them for free.

Way they work, private company builds the roads by adding 2 lanes in each direction between the existing lanes and adds EZ Pass toll readers. Price changes as traffic gets heavier.
Here is the thing. - Roads and infrastructure are something that should be maintained under current tax revenue. By building "private" roads you are moving control over to the private sector which is for profit . Being able to travel across the country is part of what built the country. Many govt's are not spending money on building infrastructure and this shapes things. I can guarantee you part of the reason Toronto is growing the way it is and adding high-rise after high-rise is people are giving up and just moving to the city and trying to get in to it is a nightmare.
You can, the toll road parallels the non toll road; as in the toll road is the fast lanes just privately built and blocked off by little while barrier strips. So it is all up to you whether or not you want to sit in traffic or pay to keep moving.
The people that use them love them, the people that don't want them free but don't want their taxes raised to pay for them.
Enthusiast
2005 Vespa GT200L
Joined: 22 Aug 2019
Posts: 80
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:53 am quote
I will have to see if the local auto parts store or Walmart carries the salt off stuff. Good idea, even for our vintage Jeep Wranglers, which take the brunt of winter's harshness here in Indiana. They use lots of cinders and gravel grit on the county roads here, its like riding on marbles so once that stuff gets put down in force, riding is mostly shut down till spring rain washes it away. But if a Jeep goes down, I will get the scooter out. Mike the Aspie
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7774
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:21 pm quote
artfull dodger wrote:
I will have to see if the local auto parts store or Walmart carries the salt off stuff. Good idea, even for our vintage Jeep Wranglers, which take the brunt of winter's harshness here in Indiana. They use lots of cinders and gravel grit on the county roads here, its like riding on marbles so once that stuff gets put down in force, riding is mostly shut down till spring rain washes it away. But if a Jeep goes down, I will get the scooter out. Mike the Aspie
I had to buy it on Amazon. Might have been able to get from a jet ski dealer near the Bay or Ocean.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1622s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0457s) ][ Debug on ]