OK, the new guy's got another question
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Ossessionato
LX 150
Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:22 pm quote
Well it’s a done deal, all papers signed and they go off to the bank overnight in the am.

So now the question is how to get my new baby home, I have a pick-up (but it’s not set up to haul a scooter in the back, yet) But I am borrowing a ramp and will buy some real tie downs (as oppose to bungee cords) tomorrow.

But having never done it before I thought I’d ask for some advice on how to, or maybe something’s to watch out for.

Hate to have way home and go, oops should have thought of that.

thanks
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:46 pm quote
Re: OK, the new guy's got another question
messycoloring wrote:
Well it’s a done deal, all papers signed and they go off to the bank overnight in the am.

So now the question is how to get my new baby home, I have a pick-up (but it’s not set up to haul a scooter in the back, yet) But I am borrowing a ramp and will buy some real tie downs (as oppose to bungee cords) tomorrow.

But having never done it before I thought I’d ask for some advice on how to, or maybe something’s to watch out for.

Hate to have way home and go, oops should have thought of that.

thanks
NO BUNGEE Cords!!! Thats first. A Canyon Dancer...that's second, with good tiedowns. a nice chunk of wood....4X4 or bigger to put in front of front tire to protect front edge of mudguard from truck bed. Drive carefully....particularly while turning. Keep eye on rear-view to make sure scooter is not listing over. Check your load occasionaly, particularly after first few miles. Slow down over bumps and drainage channels. Good luck, enjoy.
Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:03 pm quote
You need to compress the front suspension into the bed of the truck.

Place bike in middle of bed facing foreward and attach to the grips and the front corners of the bed.

Use a block of wood to space bike back to protect your front fender.

Sit on bike and tighten the straps alternately keeping the bike straight and handlebars straight.

Not too tight, but good and firm with no more travel left in the front.

Don't bother to tie the rear of bike unless you drive crazy or are going far.

And as stated above, check your load often the first few times you truck your bike. Watch for the front wheel sliding sideways and turning.

Use good straps, canyon dancer is good too.

Good luck

R
Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:35 pm quote
Id use some soft ties or tie downs with softties built in they really help keep the hooks from pooping off especially on a scooter where you dont have much to hook, we use them when we tie down the vinos in the ama support truck and i dont know how we would get them to stay put without them
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:34 am quote
Good job and congrats on the scoot Messy.

I have done the truck route 2 times also to Charlotte. The Canyon dancer makes it very easy. Check out the local bike shop for one or maybe in Chapel Hill area. The block of wood is a good idea, I used that also and kept the front fender away from front of the bed of truck.

As to getting it off/on truck if you do not have ramps. Do you have a hill or incline you can back up to? I did this first time look for one that your back tires can drop down into. It can work not real easy, but possible.

Do you have any grocery/retail/dept stores near you? I work at a hospital and now use the lift the big rigs use for unloading. Some of these go all the way down to the ground and up as high as you need. Ask the manager if you can borrow one. If you need help I get off work ar 3:30 home by 4. I can help in Chapel Hill.

Good luck with the transport, you are going to love the scoot, Beale.
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:54 am quote
For a GTS you will definitely need some help getting the bike in and out of your pickup. I would still recommend a Canyon Dancer (just got one yesterday for $17.15, with tax). Or those figure 8 shaped straps you loop into one another and then hook your tie down straps to. A pair of those costs about $6. Finding a good place to hook tie downs to on a Vespa, or most other scooters, isn't easy and you're likely to scratch things.
Ossessionato
LX 150
Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:02 am quote
thanks everyone,

short on time - so i'll post more later.

Beale thanks a lot for the offer
Ossessionato
LX 150
Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:02 pm quote
well thanks again all-

it's been a day, which I will spare you all the details - but I (ok everyone cross your fingers) pick up my scooter tomorrow.

For now I'm off for a glass of wine (or maybe two)
Hooked
X-9 500 Evo, GT200

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:34 pm quote
glasseye wrote:
You need to compress the front suspension into the bed of the truck....Not too tight, but good and firm with no more travel left in the front.
Don't bother to tie the rear of bike unless you drive crazy or are going far.
I disagree with both these suggestions.

First, you do want to compress the front suspension, but not all the way. You want to have some travel left so that bumps and jostling get absorbed by the springs and shocks. Otherwise, you're putting too much stress on your bike. Think about it - the best way would be to somehow lock the bike's wheels to the bed and let the bike's suspension take up shocks just like when you ride. But, that's impractical, so going half-way with the suspension travel is the best compromise. Too little and bike may slip out, too much and you may break something on the bike.

Second, you definitely want to tie down the rear of the bike. Otherwise, you may get the rear of the bike lifting off the bed on bumps. Again, you want to compress the suspension some, but not all the way. Typically, rear tie downs don't have the ratchets, they have cams. You sit on the bike and lean to one side and then the other while pulling up on the straps.

As Bryce says, it's hard on most scooters to avoid paint scratching, especially in the back. You end up hooking up by the rear seat, with the strap then going over the side cowls. Make sure you wrap the straps with a soft cloth where there's any rubbing. I learned this the hard way. The figure 8 straps will help avoid the hooks from hitting the bike, but they will still scratch your paint or worse.

It's expensive, but I bought the "Black Widow" ramp (http://www.motorcycleramps.com/black_widow.htm). It's really 3 ramps - one for the bike and two on either side so you can put your feet down. This lets me load and unload safely by myself.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2276s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0385s) ][ Debug on ]