Anyone game??
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
2005 Vespa LX 150, 2005 GT 200
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:58 pm quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Mopedlar wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Bergen County. I know Hackettstown somewhat. Do you do a lot of highway riding?
Not major highways like Rt.78, 80, 95 GSP,etc. I ride pretty much all 55 mph and less roads.

After 27 years living here in NJ, I'm going to be moving to the Richmond, VA area later in the year. I'd really like to do a NJ shore ride before I leave the state.
I'm down for sure/shore ride. Let me know when you're up and running. I also try to avoid 80, 95, 78. Essentially, any roadway where cars are flying way past 65. We're a dying breed, I feel. Most people I know love highway riding but I am not a fan.
I'll definitely stay in touch for sure re. the NJ shore ride. It's on my short list of things to do this year.

I hate highway riding. I search out all back roads and non-major roadways to get where I need to go.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:37 pm quote
I'll ride if it the road is ice free. But this should show you what we o.

81B17D1D-17CB-4C41-8E57-3A2A74B7748B.jpeg

F1279AAE-5A9B-4034-A126-5D2967BF242D.jpeg
And watch these turn into

64227D30-C77A-47D9-9B0E-A01F695F22A2.jpeg
Into these

Addicted
2013 GTS 300ie
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:55 pm quote
When I'm not riding....
I play video games or stream movies/TV when my legs give up. Currently working my way through Spiderman on PS4 & somehow got sucked into the Terminator series on Netflix/Amazon. (I'd successfully avoided it until now...more straight-up action than I usually prefer.)
If I can puzzle out the last few missing pieces of getting my studio back up and running, I make wheel-thrown pottery and am teaching myself blacksmithing.
I'm also trying to teach myself how to play viola...if I can remember that I'm doing that long enough for it to sink into my routine.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:56 am quote
Re: Larrytsg
Karlsbadd wrote:
Any chance you have pitbulls? Wife and I looking to rescue a pocket pit if at all possible...
great organization and great trainer...i have 2 american pit bull terriers...one was a rescue which it had trained here...
http://www.handsomedansrescue.org/home/adoptable-dogs/
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:02 am quote
Point37 wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Any chance you have pitbulls? Wife and I looking to rescue a pocket pit if at all possible...
great organization and great trainer...i have 2 american pit bull terriers...one was a rescue which it had trained here...
Awww this is great! Exactly what we're looking for. Thank you!
Molto Verboso
2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am quote
Re: Anyone game??
Karlsbadd wrote:
Curious about what we all do when we donít ride. I put my scooter away a little over a month ago and Iím itching like crazy for Spring to arrive.
Iíve found a few people on here with similar back surgery/issues, and was wondering what else weíve all got in common here. Iíll start.

Hack musician; grew up playing classical piano, now play guitar as well. Recently Iíve taken up baking. Iím a bit of an aesthete and I like to pursue beauty in all forms.

-K
Also a musician when not riding. Guilty.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:50 am quote
I sit at a computer and design houses and house renovations all day.

As I near retirement, I take much more time off to travel than most, 9 or 10 weeks in each of the last three years.

So travel is my hobby with many scooter rides around the SE USA, longer rides solo, with the scooter club and Lostboater plus a big European scooter trip each of the last four years.

Some of my favorite trips are to visit my two grown children, one in Chicago, the other in NYC.

This past year I picked up my daughter in Brooklyn, put her on the back of my Xmax and we rode around New England for five days.

Then drove a truck with the Xmax in the bed to Chicago to pick up Sam. We then rode to Wisconscoot where we spend several days together, then I rode it home to Florida in two days.

IMG_4464.JPG
With Kylie in the Catskills last year. I was on a terrific 3900 mile ride.

Walts photo me and Sarah.jpg
Riding with Sarah in Italy.

Garcia.jpg
What I do in my day job. I design these things.

Last edited by WLeuthold on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 am quote
Hobbies Off Season in Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
I took up the 5 String Blue Grass Banjo about two years ago. I take a
lesson every two weeks to progress and eliminate bad habits. This has also
dragged me into getting out and attending live Blue Grass performances.

I have recently moved from the Earl Scruggs picking style to old
traditional Claw Hammer style. I have two Deering Brand Banjos, a
Eagle 2, and a open back Good Time.

Hey, I am not very good on the banjo - but do not care. Almost every night,
I sit with the banjo and pluck away. My bad, I smoke a cigar and sip on a good brandy while watching cable news. When the commercial hits on TV, the
banjo twangs.

That is the news from Lake Wobegon Minnesota

Bob Copeland
Addicted
2016 Sprint S 150 (his), 2016 Sprint 150 Blu Gaiola (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Excalibur Gray (hers), 2006 GTS 250 Black (his), 2012 Kymco Downtown 200
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:38 am quote
I work out of my house doing electrical engineering work on the computer all day and winter time that extends into the weekend. I used to ski and teach skiing quite a bit in the past but have developed motion sickness only while skiing now so don't do that anymore. Seems to have developed after a head injury.

Anyhow I digress. Winter time usually is planning trips for the summer and this winter has me heavily into planning for the SCBR. I also do the maintenance on all the scooters, rider and push mowers. My wife says I should get a vintage to really occupy my time!

A project that I want to tackle is going thru my parents massive slide collection! Like to find some gems in there.

A hobby of mine that I have neglected but want to dive back into is slide rule collecting. I only had one class in college with a slide rule as calculators were out there then. But the slide rule took us into space and the Apollo astronauts carried a slide rule as a back up to the computer system!
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:10 am quote
I ride year 'round (including this morning, when it was 40įF & drizzly). But I ride to commute, not as a lifestyle.

As for hobbies, in an ideal world I'd ride bikes (road & MTB) regularly, brew my own beer, and crochet daily.

In reality, I watch TV with the cats and crochet on occasion.

I also collect (and sometimes use) fountain pens.

Some items I've crocheted:

afghan.JPG
Thank you gift for my MIL.

cocoon.JPG
For a friend's infant. The feet are actually booties.

cowl.JPG
For my wife.

nursing cap.JPG
Made for a friend's infant to wear while breast feeding.

plarn bag.JPG
Made from plastic grocery bags. It holds two water bottles

Hat & Scarf.JPG
Made for my mom in Wisconsin

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:34 am quote
Crossword Quilt for the win??
I love it! My father always signed/wrote his chess post-cards with a fountain pen and I still fantasize about someone gifting me a fountain pen so I can sign my name with one too. He also happened to have beautiful, artful penmanship. My mom, as they say, could've been a doctor, and actually, was in her country of origin. But I digress...

I am a word puzzle junkie too. I have to say I'm itching to get back out and ride. Sigh. Maybe March? Maybe I'll get some heated gear/heated grips?? Sigh. Lots of hypothetical mods for this upcoming season/year.

Thanks for sharing.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:59 am quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Awww this is great! Exactly what we're looking for. Thank you!
no problem...anything to spread the word and get rid of the stigma that surrounds these dogs...the owner/trainer of the rescue was the owner of Handsome Dan, one of the 22 Mike Vick dogs that was rehabbed
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:10 pm quote
Re: Crossword Quilt for the win??
Karlsbadd wrote:
I love it! My father always signed/wrote his chess post-cards with a fountain pen and I still fantasize about someone gifting me a fountain pen so I can sign my name with one too. He also happened to have beautiful, artful penmanship. My mom, as they say, could've been a doctor, and actually, was in her country of origin. But I digress...

I am a word puzzle junkie too. I have to say I'm itching to get back out and ride. Sigh. Maybe March? Maybe I'll get some heated gear/heated grips?? Sigh. Lots of hypothetical mods for this upcoming season/year.

Thanks for sharing.
Yes, she loves doing crossword puzzles, and I saw the pattern for this online, and figured I'd make it for her as a thank you for all the support she's given me/us over the years. She loves it, but doesn't use it, because, "it's too pretty to use."

And fountain pens come in a wide variety of price ranges. From as cheap as $0.99, to $10k+.

The most expensive pen I have is about $180.
The most expensive pen I want is currently on sale for $7290:

Montegrappa Moon Landing.png
Montegrappa Moon Landing Limited Edition

Hooked
2019 BV 350, 2016 300 GTS Super Sport, 2016 150 LXV
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:45 pm quote
I have only been a scooter rider 3-1/2 years. Before that I was a Boston Whaler guy. I owned a 1961 BW which was certifiably the first Whaler in Texas. I bought it in 1982 and was the second owner.

About seven years ago I decided to retire my sweet old lady and only enter her in classic boat shows so I bought a 1985 18 foot BW to use for fishing etc. This past summer a guy, who the internet puts his worth at over $100 million, decided he really wanted to buy my 1961. After several months of negotiating we agreed on a price to sell her.

I took part of the money from my old Whaler and bought a new BV350 to help with missing my old gal.

So my other hobby is boating and fishing, but I sure love my scooters!
And I ride and boat year round.

1961 Nauset1.jpg

18.jpg

BV3.jpg

Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:21 pm quote
Ugh - the winter... I've been trying to ride, but it was like 15 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning most days this week, so no riding. Here's what I did instead (in addition to teaching middle school): bought/sold coins (I collect coins), ran in the cold darkness (I'm a runner and I like to run outside, but it's cold and dark by 5pm, so I run on a trail in the dark... it's scary), saw two movies in the theater on the big screen ( A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood & Dark Waters ), drank a beer while eating Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup), learned to play the Pokeman card game with my 7 year-old son (great game!), and changed the oil in my snow blower.
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:13 pm quote
theschuman wrote:
Ugh - the winter... I've been trying to ride, but it was like 15 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning most days this week, so no riding. Here's what I did instead (in addition to teaching middle school): bought/sold coins (I collect coins), ran in the cold darkness (I'm a runner and I like to run outside, but it's cold and dark by 5pm, so I run on a trail in the dark... it's scary), saw two movies in the theater on the big screen ( A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood & Dark Waters ), drank a beer while eating Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup), learned to play the Pokeman card game with my 7 year-old son (great game!), and changed the oil in my snow blower.
Schuman, I hear you loud and clear. It's cold. I'm itching. Do you have heated gear? I'm wondering if I were to get some how much longer I would ride...
Hooked
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:38 pm quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
theschuman wrote:
Schuman, I hear you loud and clear. It's cold. I'm itching. Do you have heated gear? I'm wondering if I were to get some how much longer I would ride...
I donít have heated gear, but I have been riding to work this week (itís been in the mid 20s F in the mornings). In addition to my regular clothing, I wear two pairs of gloves, a wool sweater, and a waxed cotton Barbour jacket. I havenít felt too cold, but my school is only 6 miles away (about 12 minutes). And itís been dry all week, which is another factor from a safety perspective... I once fell off a bicycle after hitting a patch of black ice - it hurt - Iím trying to avoid a similar accident on the Vespa.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1777s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0439s) ][ Debug on ]