OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thinking about being a first time Vespa owner and love the bikes. I was at a dealer the other day and a guy pulls up on his new 946 ( RED ) with extended seat and it really got me thinking.Do they ride different,are they better than,the other Vespas? I know there is no storage but at first site it caught my eye. I need your input please on these rides?

Thank you,
Tom
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Well ... I tried one when it was presented, it did not leave a good impression ... they could work better on the ergonomics of the saddle and less on the design, the engine is not very powerful, at least a 200 is missing because then the price is excessive; it is true, it is almost a collector's vehicle but the overall practicality combined with the price determines its success ... It does not seem to me that (at least in Italy) this has happened. With a lot less you buy a Sei Giorni 300 that from greater aesthetic and performance satisfactions.
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Xevo 250 ie

Molto Verboso
@gtdespatchcourier avatar
Xevo 250 ie
UTC quote
I'd get a 946 and park it in my lounge room. I would also ride it.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Same engine as the Primavera and the Sprint.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
pokeyjoe wrote:
Same engine as the Primavera and the Sprint.
But the 946 is substantially heavier than the other two scooters.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
It's a beautiful machine, no doubt.

I had the keys to another MVer's 946 tossed at me at an AV a few years back (thanks, Don!!), and while it's a nice ride, it wasn't as peppy as my LX150, possibly due to extra weight. So IMHO, if you want looks and style, it's a contender, but if you're more interested in performance, you'll have to think a bit longer.....
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
[SOLD] 2018 GTS300 Super Sport - Donatello Vespace

Molto Verboso
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC quote
It is the Gina Lolabrigida, Sophia Loren of Vespas. The lines are without a doubt, the sexiest ever. As far as practicality is concerned, I consider it a "segundo" (second) Vespa, to be ridden really when just going "out".
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I think it was built to be a second Vespa to be put in the garage (or in the living room, yes ...) and to be used for Vespa meetings; as I said here, very few are seen and only in big cities more for the high price I think.
If they mounted the engine of the first new Vespa (Leader 200) it would have been better but there was no space for radiators ... perhaps with the new 150 LC, yes ... lost possibility.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
seems like it's for posers...looks sporty but heavier and not enough power for the cost...rather have this...

https://www.italjet.com/moto/en/italjet-moto-dragster/
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/11/14/2020-italjet-dragster-scooter-first-look-7-fast-facts/
⚠️ Last edited by Point37 on UTC; edited 1 time
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
...what or who is a poser ..?
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@soul_surfer avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Ciao Atilla,
A poser is an Inglese expression for someone who poses (pretends) to be someone they are not. In other words, a fake person.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
people who buy the 946

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=posers
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
seems like it's for posers...looks sporty but heavier and not enough power for the cost...rather have this...

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/11/14/2020-italjet-dragster-scooter-first-look-7-fast-facts/
Would love to try the 200cc model.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
Point37 wrote:

Would love to try the 200cc model.
me too...limited release so i'm sure the price will be stupid high
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Soul Surfer wrote:
Attila wrote:
Ciao Atilla,
A poser is an Inglese expression for someone who poses (pretends) to be someone they are not. In other words, a fake person.
In other words poseur is someone who likes to take selfies with their Vespas.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
I got it, thanks for patience.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
This add summarizes the idea.

Except is became a series of limited editions.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
RRider wrote:
This add summarizes the idea.

Except is became a series of limited editions.
Dressed for the occasion I see.
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Armani! Armani! Armani!
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
Attila wrote:
people who buy the 946

Really? The 946 was my 4th Vespa - owned sequentially, not all at once - and I'm quite certain that my 12+ years riding modern (cough...and vintage) Vespas granted me admission to the "not a poser, but still own a 946" club.

And, for the record, I got rid of my bigger, faster, more powerful GTS 300 for the 946, and I have *never* regretted it. Put 10,000+ miles on your Buddy, and then take a 946 for a spin, and come back here and tell us owners that we're still posers. It is in a class all by itself, so it's fine if you want to say that it's not to your liking aesthetically, or it's too expensive for a 155cc scooter. But please...don't cast aspersions on my (and others') character who are fortunate enough to own one. It's not your call to make, he who is posing, or not.
@captain_jim avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@captain_jim avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
Poser? I've been riding for 5 decades; motorcycles mostly, but scooters the last 6 years. From my perspective, that 946 is a rolling piece of art. If I had the discretionary income (or hit the lottery), I would have one. Practical? No, but it was never supposed to be.

Not as fast as the other 150s? Who cares? My GTS isn't as fast as my wife's Xmax, but it is fast enough for me.

I think folks are missing the point with this scooter - this is an exercise in style... that you can ride!
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Poser? I've been riding for 5 decades; motorcycles mostly, but scooters the last 6 years. From my perspective, that 946 is a rolling piece of art. If I had the discretionary income (or hit the lottery), I would have one. Practical? No, but it was never supposed to be.

Not as fast as the other 150s? Who cares? My GTS isn't as fast as my wife's Xmax, but it is fast enough for me.

I think folks are missing the point with this scooter - this is an exercise in style... that you can ride!
I am not a poser. Prefer to go to the Vespa lounge and take pictures with a purpose.
@jartist avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
1985 PX125E, 2013 946, 2010 GTS 300 Super

Enthusiast
@jartist avatar
UTC quote
New to me 946
I just picked up a used 946 with less than 800 miles on it. If it makes me a poser I'm a very happy poser!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Captain Jim wrote:

On this i can agree ... on the meaning of "poser" i asked only for explanations but i never said i agree, don't blame me...
jartist wrote:
I just picked up a used 946 with less than 800 miles on it. If it makes me a poser I'm a very happy poser!
Here ... this is the right spirit, good.
Too bad the direction lights and the added reflectors spoil the line.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Captain Jim wrote:

On this i can agree ... on the meaning of "poser" i asked only for explanations but i never said i agree, don't blame me...
jartist wrote:
Here ... this is the right spirit, good.
Too bad the direction lights and the added reflectors spoil the line.
Yes, it is a beautiful scoot and another example of North American regulations killing the lines of a motorbike. On the Ural for example they make them put a right turn signal on the motorcycle part even though it does not come separate from the sidecar. The dealers disable it on purpose for SAFETY reasons. The sidecar has a turn signal and if it and the bikes are on it can be confused as a 4-way flasher.

I wish they did the 946 as a large frame and I'm sure it would sell. The seem to only want 2 versions of the 300CC scoot for whatever reason. The Sei Giorni came out when the GTV was discontinued. I guess you could argue they are the same bike but they aren't in a few key ways.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
Masala wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Attila wrote:
people who buy the 946

Really? The 946 was my 4th Vespa - owned sequentially, not all at once - and I'm quite certain that my 12+ years riding modern (cough...and vintage) Vespas granted me admission to the "not a poser, but still own a 946" club.

And, for the record, I got rid of my bigger, faster, more powerful GTS 300 for the 946, and I have *never* regretted it. Put 10,000+ miles on your Buddy, and then take a 946 for a spin, and come back here and tell us owners that we're still posers. It is in a class all by itself, so it's fine if you want to say that it's not to your liking aesthetically, or it's too expensive for a 155cc scooter. But please...don't cast aspersions on my (and others') character who are fortunate enough to own one. It's not your call to make, he who is posing, or not.
i said is it seems like it's for posers...it's an opinion/generalization that i doesn't necessarily include everyone who owns one in, especially anyone who is into scooters enough to join a forum...so i apologize for seeming to lump you into that category...i'd say the same about people who bought suzuki hyabusa/kawasaki zx14...people that bought the sportbike with the biggest engine to ride slow down the street, paint flashy, put a loud stereo on and put neon lights on to have people look...not the case with everyone that owns them cause some people drag race, some people like the extra size and power and ride the hell out of them, etc...but for the most part the people i see riding them are the first type...now the 946 is probably the prettiest scooter i've ever seen and i'm sure it has all the bells and whistles for that kind of money...but for it's price there are better performing vespas with storage for less money so it seems like it would attract posers that were into mostly looks...that's all...and i know any of the vespas are superior to my used buddy 125...but i bet my buddy could keep up just fine with the oem 125cc-150cc vespas but it won't be nearly as pretty or polished doing so...i still want a 300cc vespa but haven't found the right deal or timing yet
@masala avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@masala avatar
UTC quote
Point37 wrote:
Masala wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Attila wrote:
people who buy the 946

i said is it seems like it's for posers...it's an opinion/generalization that i doesn't necessarily include everyone who owns one in, especially anyone who is into scooters enough to join a forum...so i apologize for seeming to lump you into that category...i'd say the same about people who bought suzuki hyabusa/kawasaki zx14...people that bought the sportbike with the biggest engine to ride slow down the street, paint flashy, put a loud stereo on and put neon lights on to have people look...not the case with everyone that owns them cause some people drag race, some people like the extra size and power and ride the hell out of them, etc...but for the most part the people i see riding them are the first type...now the 946 is probably the prettiest scooter i've ever seen and i'm sure it has all the bells and whistles for that kind of money...but for it's price there are better performing vespas with storage for less money so it seems like it would attract posers that were into mostly looks...that's all...and i know any of the vespas are superior to my used buddy 125...but i bet my buddy could keep up just fine with the oem 125cc-150cc vespas but it won't be nearly as pretty or polished doing so...i still want a 300cc vespa but haven't found the right deal or timing yet
It's all good, man... No worries. For what it's worth, there's nothing at all wrong with the Buddy - I strongly considered adding one to the stable a few years ago when they came out with the 170i. They offered one in an olive green that looked kinda like a military color scheme...I really liked it.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
I love the 946 design. It's just gorgeous!! I've loved it since it was first posted here on MV years ago. It may not, in fact, be the fastest 150 model but it just so visually appealing, more so than most any other scooter IMO. And if going fast is your real objective, there are other bikes that will go faster but don't have the visual appeal of the 946. The 946 is in a league of its own and those that own and ride them I'm sure get great pleasure from them. And while I ALWAYS got positive vibes from people when riding the GTV, the 946 is a traffic-stopper.

Best
Miguel
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Now do you make me think that in the imagination of scooter riders, in addition to "rockers" and "mods" there are also "posers"?
Will "Quadrophenia 2" follow up with the new group?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Now do you make me think that in the imagination of scooter riders, in addition to "rockers" and "mods" there are also "posers"?
Will "Quadrophenia 2" follow up with the new group?
If there weren't huge numbers of people who want to dress up like one fifth of the Village People, The Motor Company would have been put out of it's misery decades ago. That might not be the beginning of the poser as motorcyclist, but it certainly was the beginning of the age of the poser as biker.

I think the 946 is a great $6500 scooter that hasn't done well because the people who came up with it drank their own koolaid and thought the hype they used to market it had a fairly high dollar value, and rolled that into the price. So it turned into a $10,000 mechanical beanie baby. A lot of them were bough with the idea that it was a future classic that would become highly collectible and increase in value. There are a couple of things people tend to overlook when trying to predict what is going to be collectible down the road. If you don't sell a lot of a new model the first year, the odds are that it's not going to succeed, and most of what we value today in terms of vehicles of the past were wildly popular at the time they were new. There are five year old new non-current 946 models in dealer's showrooms today. That's not encouraging.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
In this environment, i mean the one related to the Vespa world, there has been talk for a couple of years of the possibility of using the 946 line to create a similar but cheaper model, this also to give a greater boost to the more expensive version; it would be the beginning of a brand (946) within another brand (Vespa) which is already a brand within Piaggio.
@jartist avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@jartist avatar
UTC quote
Isn't the Primavera kind of a cheaper 946?

There's some deals on used 946's out there every once in a while that make them seem more reasonable for everyday use. Anybody out there ever put a front rack on one for touring? I'm thinking about it for mine Razz emoticon
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
There were reports of 946 being tested on the road but with a larger engine and with the name Rally 180 (taken from an old model); with new 175 cc iget engine and double seat.
@fudmucker avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini

Ossessionato
@fudmucker avatar
2021 GTS 300 HPE +2013 GTS 300ie + 294 Polini
UTC quote
If I were Piaggio, I would keep the styling of the 946 just as it is and engineer it for an electric power plant equivalent to a 150-200cc engine.

I think the 946 is even more beautiful than my GTS300.
@jartist avatar
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@jartist avatar
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
There were reports of 946 being tested on the road but with a larger engine and with the name Rally 180 (taken from an old model); with new 175 cc iget engine and double seat.
That would be really cool! It would need to be one of the two great orange/yellow colors so many of the rally 180s came in.
@point37 avatar
UTC

Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

Hooked
@point37 avatar
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
UTC quote
i really like the way it looks but if they could add some storage and a larger engine i think that would make the price a little easier to digest
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1794s ][ Queries: 40 (0.1411s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]