Should LX have ground lead from frame to belt cover?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Addicted
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 pm quote
My GT200 has a ground connection from the forward bolt of the belt cover to the frame just above.

My LX150 (also Leader engine) does not have this pigtail. I am wondering if it is missing? If there is no ground connection here, can someone tell me where it is / should be on the LX?

(I am chasing down an intermittent stalling issue, and wondering if it's a bad ground. I measure continuity between the frame and engine with an Ohm meter. But if I am missing a solid connection, I am thinking maybe that could lead to intermittent problems.)
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 pm quote
Usually if you have a bad ground to the engine, the starter motor will barely turn the engine over when you try to start it.
An easy way to find out if you have a ground to the engine problem is to run a wire from the negative terminal to the engine. You can attach it to the same place it attaches on the GT, leave it on and ride around a bit. If the problem is gone, that was your problem.
Ossessionato
BV350, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
Location: The Twin Cities of Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Minnesota
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:23 am quote
There are no electrical components in the transmission so I doubt the wire is part of the electrical ground. I'd guess that it's there to prevent the belt from becoming a Van de Graaff generator; to prevent build-up of static electricity.
Addicted
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:00 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Usually if you have a bad ground to the engine, the starter motor will barely turn the engine over when you try to start it.
An easy way to find out if you have a ground to the engine problem is to run a wire from the negative terminal to the engine. You can attach it to the same place it attaches on the GT, leave it on and ride around a bit. If the problem is gone, that was your problem.
No trouble starting it, so maybe grounding is not the problem here. I was just struck by the difference with my GT.

Good tip on a test method - I think I will try that anyways. Thanks.
Addicted
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:02 am quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
There are no electrical components in the transmission so I doubt the wire is part of the electrical ground. I'd guess that it's there to prevent the belt from becoming a Van de Graaff generator; to prevent build-up of static electricity.
I think it would amount to the same thing? The transmission is of course electrically connected to the main block since it's all metal?
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1280s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0241s) ][ Debug on ]