F/F helmet visor - open or closed.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:27 pm quote
Or half open. Or half closed. What do you do?
If its closed it can get too hot. Sometimes its like riding through a Batman movie, Whack, Splat, Bang on the visor. If I open it I'm bound to have an eye gouged out. Then there's the occasional bug that flies in between the helmet and my head, as I can feel it wriggling there, really annoying. So I have to stop, take the helmet off inspect it and ruffle my hair to try and get rid of it - whatever it was. In cold weather it fogs up (haven't tried a Pinlock insert yet) so I have no choice but to open it. I find the air vents on the helmet are not helpful. And if I keep it ajar it gets noisy, but at least the visor clears up.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:46 pm quote
Doesnít your helmet have vents? Thatís what they are for.
Ossessionato
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:46 pm quote
Vents with pin lock = awesome
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:08 pm quote
My Shoei will happily stay one finger thickness open.

Fog? wipe inside with a freshly cut potato and dry with a soft cloth.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:17 pm quote
Slower than 50 mph, I open the helmet screen; Faster, it's closed. Last week, I was doing about 50. A truck went by the other direction and kicked up a rock that somehow squeaked into space between my head and full windscreen, was at an angle that went just into my helmet and under my sunglasses and hit me just 1/8" below my eyeball!! If I'd had the helmet screen down, it would have simply bounced off that. I didn't get hurt. It was a stark reminder to make sure my sunglasses are tight against my face and/or the make sure the helmet screen closed.

Best
Miguel
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:53 pm quote
This summer, I got a Nolan N-70-2 GT helmet. It has a removable chin bar. I like it better than a full face or a modular helmet. One great feature of this helmet is the vent built into the lower part of the opening shield - it allows good ventilation on my face and helps when the shield starts to fog. Of course, you can flip open the shield, something I generally do when going 30 mph or less.

At highway speed, close that front vent and the noise drops noticeably. Making a short run, you can leave the chin bar off and you have a 3/4 helmet.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:43 am quote
Used to keep the visor up in town but my Shoei GT Air has an inner sun visor that I use most of the time.
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:04 am quote
My helmet also has the feature to have the visor open just a bit.
Works so well I haven't even got pinlock anymore - as I ride so seldom in cold/heavy rain.
I find this small opening to "boost" the ventilation quite a lot in my helmet... adds the noise too, though.

In one riding jacket I have a build-in neck scarf, for others I always use tube scarfs. The very thin ones in hot weather. These prevent bugs flying in from under the helmet. Also reduces noise. Chin curtains in helmets work for the same purpose.
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:07 am quote
Most modest to expensive helmets have the chin vent and some for over your head that will eliminate fogging except at a stop. The only time I open mine is a hot day at a stop.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:04 am quote
znomit wrote:
Used to keep the visor up in town but my Shoei GT Air has an inner sun visor that I use most of the time.
Yes. That is the advantage of the inner visor. Most of my helmets have them but I guess for Snell they canít? Neither of my Arai have one. The Klim TK1200 im wearing now does not and depends on the weather but Iím guessing I deal with fogging way more than you do. Even with chin vents and pinlock it can be an issue. Then I crack it a bit. In warmer weather I try to wear a lid with a drop down but if not I leave it mostly open in town and drop it for the freeway. On the BMW if itís hot I donít but the screen when fully up covers my head and I get just a little buffeting at the top of the helmet. In the summer watch out for bugs though, they hurt! So does large rain drops at highway speed.
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:29 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Slower than 50 mph, I open the helmet screen; Faster, it's closed. Last week, I was doing about 50. A truck went by the other direction and kicked up a rock that somehow squeaked into space between my head and full windscreen, was at an angle that went just into my helmet and under my sunglasses and hit me just 1/8" below my eyeball!! If I'd had the helmet screen down, it would have simply bounced off that. I didn't get hurt. It was a stark reminder to make sure my sunglasses are tight against my face and/or the make sure the helmet screen closed.

Best
Miguel
Great point as far too many riders of two wheels, powered or not, wear style glasses not suitable for impact. Ya gotta really love your eyes.
I have been guilty of laziness and hoping the sun shield would do the job but in truth stuff can get under it like Miguel says!
I ride when hot with my Shoei modular and outer shield flipped or parted but also keep safety glasses onboard for eyes.
KY has a law but logic says it's unenforceable. Sometimes one needs to care about ones self.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:26 pm quote
I also generally ride with my shield open at city speeds, but I'm glad I wasn't today. I was behind a newer model Civic that unexpectedly squirted her windshield. The top of those cars is basically round; it sprayed up over the top of her car and hit me right in the shield. It would have been really not-fun (and perhaps dangerous) to get a faceful of wiper fluid at 40mph.
Kantuckid wrote:
Great point as far too many riders of two wheels, powered or not, wear style glasses not suitable for impact.
I've been wearing polycarb lenses for as long as I've been wearing glasses, because they're supposed to be safer for active people. I wonder how they'd fair taking a pebble or something at city speeds.
Molto Verboso
2007 Vespa 250 gts / 1961 Vespa VBA / 1964 Vespa VNB
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:35 pm quote
I keep mine closed on colder rides and let the pinlock and raise my visor a notch to keep my glasses from fogging at stops.
I usually ride with the visor opened on Shoeiís first notch (about an 1/8 of an inch.
Iíve found even in Phoenixí summers I feel cooler [and my eyes donít dry out) if I keep my visor down.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:53 am quote
There are many ways to use a helmet well, one is knowing how to wear it.
The other is to make an accurate choice, many buy using aesthetics as their main parameter, then wearability and finally ease of use.
But no ... acceptable criteria but in wrong sequence; the full-face helmet can be tarnished easily but occasionally raising the chin a little and letting some air out avoids this, which is good even if it is very hot.
Less difficult to manage a jet helmet but less protection, it is a personal choice.
I have never had any problems you say or have solved them easily; having efficient air intakes on the helmet shell also helps and when buying you have to evaluate.
Useful to have the inner lining that comes off to be able to wash it and if worn, change ... otherwise in addition to the bad smell you will have bad hygiene; the helmet must be managed, it is not a piece to be used and thrown in a corner if not used. Think of it as a pair of underpants.
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:06 am quote
Atilla, I enjoy your superb English.
Underwear?
Maybe not so delicate as your other word choices?
In the Army we had a term for deciding if it was dirty or not, it involved the use of the word brown...
As i age and my hair is thinner (not gone!) my helmet head "do" is sort of fugly.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:26 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Atilla, I enjoy your superb English.
Underwear?
Maybe not so delicate as your other word choices?
In the Army we had a term for deciding if it was dirty or not, it involved the use of the word brown...
As i age and my hair is thinner (not gone!) my helmet head "do" is sort of fugly.

I know ... it's not perfect (but not even remotely) but you will appreciate the effort ... and the passion.
You will wonder (like others) why I insist on communicating with you even in an imperfect English ... difficult to explain in English but if you know the Italians a little (ask Bob Copeland, he knows it) you will know that we are an invasive people but not in a bad way, with good intentions.
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:40 am quote
I actually meant that your English is very good, not deficient at all.
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:49 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I actually meant that your English is very good, not deficient at all.
In my meticulous eyes everything I do is always missing something, I certainly don't have a boring life because I always try to learn more and better; I also understood that exchanging ideas with people from other cultures enriches us in every way ... sometimes in an unthinkable way.
I am also on other forums in English where we speak not only of scooters or motorcycles, even (only with the translator) on forums in Japanese and it is hard to understand each other ... imagine the grotesque situations that are created but finally we understand each other , what the heck ... we are all under the same sky and breathe the same air, Babel is only a temporary obstacle.
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:27 am quote
waspmike wrote:
My Shoei will happily stay one finger thickness open.

Fog? wipe inside with a freshly cut potato and dry with a soft cloth.
Saliva will do the same thing as a freshly cut potato, especially if you find yourself miles from home or a grocer.
Ossessionato
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 am quote
... from my areas they call them "grandmother's remedies" ...
PS: in Italy one is never far enough away from a grocer.
2006 Fly 150
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 pm quote
Open...I am at The Beach In Southern California

helmet 2.jpg

Addicted
2013 GTS 300ie
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:57 pm quote
Something I learned in my bicycling days that I noticed carries over to motorcycling: helmets all protect about the same, as long as they meet the appropriate certification standards. What makes them cost more or less is fit, comfort, and gadgets.

My minimum threshold seems to be around MSRP $150-$200-ish. I'm hot-natured, so I need better cooling and ventilation. I wear glasses (and sunglasses) and like using helmet speakers, so ear cutouts and eyeglass temple hollows are borderline must-haves...if I don't want a headache or skin hot spots behind my ears on rides longer than 30 minutes.
Fogging is just the moisture that gets trapped in your helmet, whether it's from your breath or from the humidity outside. There are all sorts of high-tech and/or snake-oil products you can spend money on to put on your visor, but I've found the one that works best for me is a visor that has a lot of opening positions (mine has some sort of ratchet system...thingit) so I can just crack the visor instead of being limited to "wet/freezing-open" or "closed-&-stuffy".

As for riding visor positions...it changes a lot. I usually open the visor at stop lights if I'm going to be there for more than a few seconds and close it again when I get above 20-ish mph. My MSF instructor was insistent on closed visors during class...which ended up earning me the threat of, "close your visor or I'm going to superglue it shut!" (It was mid-80s F, full sunlight, and my riding jacket and FF helmet were both black. WARM!!) If it's raining or I'm trying to de-fog my visor, I'll crack it about 1/4"...just enough to get some air movement across it, not enough to freeze my nose or let the rain in.

Sunglasses: Again, from bicycling days, I'm very, VERY fond of bicycling/motorcycling specific shades. They don't have to cost an arm and a leg ( :cough: Oakley :cough: ), either. Mine are Tifosi, discovered at the bicycle shop. I didn't get it until I started regularly pedaling at speeds over 20mph...then the wind starts making your eyes water. ESPECIALLY if you have to wear prescription glasses. I've ridden (both motor and non) at up to 55 mph with nothing between my eyes and the world but those sunglasses and they redirect the wind beautifully. They also de-fog themselves as long as there's even a little bit of airflow.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:35 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
Yes. That is the advantage of the inner visor. Most of my helmets have them but I guess for Snell they canít? Neither of my Arai have one. The Klim TK1200 im wearing now does not and depends on the weather but Iím guessing I deal with fogging way more than you do. Even with chin vents and pinlock it can be an issue. Then I crack it a bit. In warmer weather I try to wear a lid with a drop down but if not I leave it mostly open in town and drop it for the freeway. On the BMW if itís hot I donít but the screen when fully up covers my head and I get just a little buffeting at the top of the helmet. In the summer watch out for bugs though, they hurt! So does large rain drops at highway speed.
Read a Revzilla article about these sun visors. Think about it, what's between your head and the outside of the helmet where these visors mount? Aria will not use them because they leave a huge area in the front of the helmet with minimal foam protection. The area the foam protection is needed the most.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
Read a Revzilla article about these sun visors. Think about it, what's between your head and the outside of the helmet where these visors mount? Aria will not use them because they leave a huge area in the front of the helmet with minimal foam protection. The area the foam protection is needed the most.
Yeah I get that - but they are still handy.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:45 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
I had one on a cheap helmet and it sucked. I am guessing that was because it was a cheap helmet. Looking threw my glasses, then the visor, then the face shield. Too many layers of plastic.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:54 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
I had one on a cheap helmet and it sucked. I am guessing that was because it was a cheap helmet. Looking threw my glasses, then the visor, then the face shield. Too many layers of plastic.
On the higher end helmets it's actually good. I prefer it for riding in the city over a FF in the summer. I have a transition lens on my Klim modular which is fine for the cooler seasons but a bit warm for urban riding in the summer. My Arai I have tinted shields for but swapping shields out at night is a bit inconvenient.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
znomit wrote:
On the higher end helmets it's actually good. I prefer it for riding in the city over a FF in the summer. I have a transition lens on my Klim modular which is fine for the cooler seasons but a bit warm for urban riding in the summer. My Arai I have tinted shields for but swapping shields out at night is a bit inconvenient.
Well the article was comparing a Aria and a Shoei, which does offer the visor.
Look for the article and you may change your mind about them. There is a huge area with little foam right in the fore head area.

Link to article.
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/shoei-vs-arai-helmets
Molto Verboso
LXS 150
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:42 pm quote
Mikey007 wrote:
Open...I am at The Beach In Southern California
Closed... I am also at The Beach In Southern California* but I have Pinlock visor inserts in my helmets.

(HJC IS-MAX 2 and Schuberth M1)

*...and quite likely fairly close to your location

EDIT: Wow. This is my 1000th post! Took me 10 1/2 years to do it, though.
(Note: that and reaching over to the right side of my desk gets me half a cup of cold coffee...)
Addicted
BV 350
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:37 am quote
Closed
Around here, at the peak of the riding season, we have bugs almost big enough to tear your head off. Certainly one in the eyeball would ruin your entire day. Every now and then take a really big hit on the faceshield, with a large smear. Glad it is the shield, and not me.

Then in the fall, when they are hauling grain, almost always a truck leaking, so it is like riding through a shower of BB's. And since following cars kick it up again, it is the gift that keeps on giving.

If it is really hot, I'll crack it, but I figure if it is too hot to ride with the visor closed (but vents open) then it is too hot to ride.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:40 am quote
Today most definitely closed. Last year this exact same thing happened. Went to the market and shopped and came out to this. I was on the C650GT that time. The ride home was not fun. I have the Shoei Neotec today and it fits a balaclava great so that's a bonus.

IMG_1328 2.jpeg

Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:51 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Iím guessing I deal with fogging way more than you do. Even with chin vents and pinlock it can be an issue.
I'm always curious how cold Pinlock works until? I finally installed it on my newish helmet and it prevents fog at ~45degF outside temp... I'm assume < 40 it's worthless?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:11 pm quote
tonyc wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Iím guessing I deal with fogging way more than you do. Even with chin vents and pinlock it can be an issue.
I'm always curious how cold Pinlock works until? I finally installed it on my newish helmet and it prevents fog at ~45degF outside temp... I'm assume < 40 it's worthless?
Nah, they work up to the freezing point and even below. I find it really depends on the helmet and brand. My Klim is incredible even at say -10C and the Shoei while also being a modular (more expensive) works not nearly as well. They all do a pretty good job when on the move and it's not really cold out. At red lights you just get used to flipping the shield up and it becomes muscle memory.
Enthusiast
2012 LXV150
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:28 pm quote
I've been using a Bell FF helmet with their "transition" shield. I don't have anything to compare it to, but the shield darkens quickly, is polarized and works well. I ride with my shield completely closed, unless I open it a crack while I'm waiting at a stoplight to prevent it fogging up; the vents work well, but only when you're moving.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:24 pm quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I also generally ride with my shield open at city speeds, but I'm glad I wasn't today. I was behind a newer model Civic that unexpectedly squirted her windshield. The top of those cars is basically round; it sprayed up over the top of her car and hit me right in the shield. It would have been really not-fun (and perhaps dangerous) to get a faceful of wiper fluid at 40mph.
Kantuckid wrote:
Great point as far too many riders of two wheels, powered or not, wear style glasses not suitable for impact.
I've been wearing polycarb lenses for as long as I've been wearing glasses, because they're supposed to be safer for active people. I wonder how they'd fair taking a pebble or something at city speeds.
Poly prescription lenses here, too.

But I rarely have my visor fully open at any speeds above 15mph, for all the aforementioned hazards (solid or liquid, inanimate or otherwise). My helmet has truly effective multiple adjustable vents and Pinlock, and a multi-position visor to help when things get hairy weather-wise (I've ridden in rain, low temperatures, and snow). If your present lid doesn't ventilate adequately without popping the visor fairly wide, you might want to look into a new one that does.
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 am quote
amateriat wrote:
If your present lid doesn't ventilate adequately without popping the visor fairly wide, you might want to look into a new one that does.
FWIW, effective wind screens easily block the airflow towards the lower chin vent, thus rendering half of even the most well-ventilated helmets useless in terms of thorough airflow for shorter riders (me.)

Sometimes when I have to clear the fog I have to sit up tall and straight.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:41 am quote
amateriat wrote:
If your present lid doesn't ventilate adequately without popping the visor fairly wide, you might want to look into a new one that does.
I ride with it open because I like the visual clarity, and the feeling of the wind on my face - not sure if it's anything I can blame the helmet for. I'm in the market though; I've barely had my K3 SV for 4 months, and it now fails the roll-off test. 😠
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:28 am quote
All the hardcore urban riders I think are in agreement that riding in cold weather with a closed visor is difficult. I can say so one thing that is important is to have a visor and/or drop down that is easy to flip up including with cold weather armoured gauntlets on. My hands down winner for winter riding during the day is the Klim TK1200 with the transition visor. I like it because the visor is easy to flip as is the modular portion. I find my Shoei shifts a bit on my head even though I'm sure a size down would be too small. I also find the Shoei Neotec 2 allows more wind to come up from the neck even though it is a quieter fit. Also not thrilled with the custom Sena for the Shoei as it is awkward to manage especially with gauntlets. My Klim simply had an SMH5 and I love it. Big wheel, easy to grab and simple to use. Also a white helmet with a tinted visor looks awesome in the winter. I do not like it at night but I'm not sure why. Night riding to me is often on the freeway and I have transition eyeglasses and the visor is as well. All I can think of is that may have something to do with it but I find I need to keep the visor up to see. On a cold day at highway speeds that is not ideal.

All my FF seem fine at speed even on cold days but some I need to use cat crap or similar on.

Love me some Cat Crap.

IMG_1580.jpg

Enthusiast
GTS 300, BV250
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
This summer, I got a Nolan N-70-2 GT helmet.
How's the noise on the N70? I have an N44 and I like almost everything about it except for the god-awful racket that it makes. The shield doesn't make a tight seal and generates a deafening WHOOOOOSH that is really obnoxious.

I'd love to jump to the 70 if it's quieter. It looks nearly identical to the 44.
Addicted
2013 GTS 300ie
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:47 pm quote
tonyc wrote:
amateriat wrote:
FWIW, effective wind screens easily block the airflow towards the lower chin vent, thus rendering half of even the most well-ventilated helmets useless in terms of thorough airflow for shorter riders (me.)

Sometimes when I have to clear the fog I have to sit up tall and straight.
Most of my tall windshields have a sweet spot behind them with a little turbulent air that's perfect for clearing a foggy or rain-speckled visor. I discovered this accidentally when caught in a rain shower and noticed the water droplets being blown UP my visor. Some sweet spots are bigger than others, but if you can find it, it's damned useful on the days when you really don't want to come out from behind your windshield.
Hooked
Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:04 am quote
I usually wear mine up when doing speeds under 45mph, but anything above that, my screen won't stay up anyway. Guess I need to adjust it or it's probably time for a new helmet anyway.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.2387s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0554s) ][ Debug on ]