Where do I find SIP Pimp my SI Carburetor report?
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:59 pm quote
I was reading through SIPs article on SI carburetor tuning it mentions pimp my SO carburetor report. Where do I find the report?

Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:37 am quote
You're better of reading the wiki on the German Scooter Forum or the lengthy thread on there. Google translate does a great job putting it in English.
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:02 am quote
I came across that thread and bookmarked it last night. Intuitively making passages larger for better flow I get and when I'm on my carburetor I will do more of, I opened up the passage between the float bowl and main jet already. Some of the stuff I'm reading and seeing I have a hard time believing the testing is correct and comparing apples to apples. Such as a larger needles valve having a lower flow rate, a bigger hole is going to flow more unless something is setup incorrectly.
Hooked
'63 VBB2T - '76 Sprint V - '18 300 GTS Super Notte
Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 am quote
Can one of you put the link here plezse,
Thanks

Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:08 am quote
Christopher_55934 wrote:
I came across that thread and bookmarked it last night. Intuitively making passages larger for better flow I get and when I'm on my carburetor I will do more of, I opened up the passage between the float bowl and main jet already. Some of the stuff I'm reading and seeing I have a hard time believing the testing is correct and comparing apples to apples. Such as a larger needles valve having a lower flow rate, a bigger hole is going to flow more unless something is setup incorrectly.
Doubt it if you want to but there are is a lot of data and videos proving it. Lack of horizontal holes is the cause of the poor flow since it all the fuel must go past the needle.

The one I have the hardest time believing is the atomizer having less holes is leaner but the data is there to prove it is true.
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:09 pm quote
BlackT5 wrote:
Christopher_55934 wrote:
Doubt it if you want to but there are is a lot of data and videos proving it. Lack of horizontal holes is the cause of the poor flow since it all the fuel must go past the needle.

The one I have the hardest time believing is the atomizer having less holes is leaner but the data is there to prove it is true.
I watched some of the videos, me being stubborn I'm going to have to buy one and try it myself. What the videos I watched didn't show were the inlet banjo holes and feed hole prior to the needle compared to the to the faster flowing stock. Would be interested in seeing those compared also in the video.

The videos I watched had horizontal holes in the tube the needle is inserted into. There just wasn't any fuel.coming out of the holes.

Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:45 pm quote
https://youtu.be/G9e1pVJSehg
Molto Verboso
1980 P125X, 1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:49 pm quote
The Google translation works decent but there is enough confusion left to leave some of the later updates mystifying. I'm gathering the gist of those updates are that modern tuning kits and exhausts are much stronger so even with these carb mods, it is not enough to safely run a 24/24 carb on a tuned Stella engine with reed valve.

This was also stated to me by fmp over Facebook message. But I've also asked Jonathan Gick about running a 24/24 carb on my tuned Stella with fast flow tap and he says it is fine to do with this 24/24 carb. I'm going with Gick. I had already bought the sip 24/24 carb with these modifications to the fuel supply passages previously because I want to keep auto mix oil setup. I'm holding off on doing away with auto mix and switching to a phbh carb on my Stella until it's absolutely necessary. For my p200 engine which is rotary valve, I do plan on switching to phbh carb as I upgrade to Malossi 221 and set it up for touring.
Hooked
2007 Stella 150
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:23 pm quote
swiss1939 wrote:
The Google translation works decent but there is enough confusion left to leave some of the later updates mystifying. I'm gathering the gist of those updates are that modern tuning kits and exhausts are much stronger so even with these carb mods, it is not enough to safely run a 24/24 carb on a tuned Stella engine with reed valve.

This was also stated to me by fmp over Facebook message. But I've also asked Jonathan Gick about running a 24/24 carb on my tuned Stella with fast flow tap and he says it is fine to do with this 24/24 carb. I'm going with Gick. I had already bought the sip 24/24 carb with these modifications to the fuel supply passages previously because I want to keep auto mix oil setup. I'm holding off on doing away with auto mix and switching to a phbh carb on my Stella until it's absolutely necessary. For my p200 engine which is rotary valve, I do plan on switching to phbh carb as I upgrade to Malossi 221 and set it up for touring.
I've still got a DR177 with the transfer passages opened up to LML size. The carburetor is a SI 20/20, well see if I have issues.
Ossessionato
'09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:41 pm quote
You might keep an eye out for a Vortex. I've had the good fortune of picking a few up over time, and just purchased a body from Al recently
Molto Verboso
1980 P125X, 1980 P200E , 2005 Stella 177
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:01 pm quote
If you know where to get one let me know. I'd be interested.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:00 am quote
Al is working with a guy from France (J&G 2% Vespa Tuning on FB) on a new version of the Vortex. He is testing extensively and does hope to sell it some time soon.

I find Chrome works much better at translation than the regular Google Translate. But the best so far is DeepL translation which clarifies a lot of the tricky stuff as well.

https://www.deepl.com/translator
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.1596s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0498s) ][ Debug on ]