2007 250 GTS ie
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:11 pm quote
Hi all
I have fallen in the Vespa wormhole recently.
I used to ride 50cc in my teenage years in Europe. Now I live in San Francisco and I am looking for a beautiful Vespa.
I am hesitating between a 150cc and 250/300cc. 95% of my time will be spent commuting in the city (very hilly as you know) and I often have to carry a pillion passenger (130 pound girlfriend). I am thinking of maybe crossing the Golden Gate Bridge (highway) every blue moon thatís way I think a 250 GTS would make sense. My budget is below $ 4,000
On Craigslist I have seen a few posts for 2007/2006 250 GTS with less than 5,000 miles for about $2,500-3,000. Do you guys think it would be a wise choice for me? I am worried about maintenance as I do not know my way around a wrench. What questions should I be asking about a 12 years old ďgarage queenĒ?. With that budget should I settle for a newer 150cc? Thanks in advance for your help. Happy to provide more detailed information
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:49 pm quote
Hey, Simon,

Congratulations on your new affliction. It sounds to me that the 250 is a far better choice...hills plus pillion. You didn't say how much you weigh, but regardless it's likely a bit of a load. For an example, I weigh about 260 ish, and attempting a moderately steep hill on a local highway, I bogged down and couldn't beat 45 mph, slowing traffic.

You should be able to find something in your budget range, even newer than the 2007...though markets vary. Don't worry too much about mileage... well-maintained Vespas can easily get 50K miles and more. Doing your own wrenching isn't all that difficult, at least for basic maintenance, though you should have a variety of shops around there. There is a wealth of knowledge here if you're at all adventurous.

Good luck....don't be afraid to ask questions here and post a picture when you pull the pin.....
Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:57 pm quote
Youíve asked for opinions so thatís what youíll get. Youíve made a very good case for a GTS and the fact youíre already wondering makes it plain to me you know you need the bigger bike. I know nothing of your riding style or experience but I am much happier on the GT/GTS bikes than the smaller 150ís. I have them all, an S150, a GT200, a GTS250, and a GTS300. The 150, 200, and 250 were all bought used off CL and the 300 was new.

Buying a garage queen can have consequences. The 150 ($3500) is an 08 or 09 and I got it 5-6 years ago with about 2000 miles. Itís been perfect. The GT200 (~$2600) was bought in 2018 with 523 miles and I had to put a water pump on it in the first 100 miles I had it. The GTS250 ($2000) was picked up 3-4 months ago with about 4300 miles and has been perfect. I do all my own work. I know you say you have zero wrenching skills. Changing the motor oil, gear oil, and filters is not difficult. People will say your hoses are old and may need changing. All of mine are perfect and Iíve not touched them.

It all comes down to this (my opinion). If you find a good deal on a low mileage GT/GTS, buy it. The money you save over buying new will keep money in your pocket for any beyond-routine fixes you may need to make. Go over it as though you were washing it. Look for overspray or evidence of repairs. Ride it. Listen. Bring a friend to watch you ride who can tell you if itís riding crooked like an ass-kicked dog. Then enjoy.
Hooked
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 pm quote
Simon1337 wrote:
What questions should I be asking about a 12 years old ďgarage queenĒ?.
Questions to ask:
1. Has it been wrecked?
2. Do you have both keys?
3. Is there anything wrong with it I should know about?
4. Who took care of it and/or do you have the service records?

When you get there start it with both keys. When I drove all the way to San Antonio to pick up my GT the red key didnít work. Turns out the chip had fallen out and it was useless. That allowed me to bargain the price down.

Donít worry much if there are no maintenance records. You know going in youíre going to do maintenance right away so for me thatís of zero importance.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:15 pm quote
Buy it, ride it, fix what breaks.
Or
Replace everything anyone suggests you replace, change all the fluids and fill the tank with some sort of fuel treatment, and then fix what breaks.
At that price, it must be silver.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 pm quote
Thanks everyone for your thorough answers! Thatís a great wealth of information. Seems like a 250cc well maintained at a good price would be the ideal candidate even it has been in garage. Iíd like to run by you guys this Following bike. Let me know what you think(price, maintenance, questions to ask):
2007 250 GTS $3,000
garaged for its entire life. The scooter was recently serviced (Owner has the paper work), includes a battery charger. Second owner. Seems like it didnít have any dings or accident. Iíve run the VIN and it seemed clean. Realized it may be on the expensive side but things are pricier in San Francisco but I may just have to wait

9F72FBD8-F926-4104-8BF9-FB35C5F3CD94.jpeg

Hooked
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:50 pm quote
Once again opinions haha. Ok honestly, I donít know the miles and thatís only one angle to see but Iíd probably give 27-28 hundred for that down here in Texas without the box or screen. Those options new add hundreds of dollars. Iíd say itís not a bad deal. You should enjoy that immensely.

Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 pm quote
rob g wrote:
Once again opinions haha. Ok honestly, I donít know the miles and thatís only one angle to see but Iíd probably give 27-28 hundred for that down here in Texas without the box or screen. Those options new add hundreds of dollars. Iíd say itís not a bad deal. You should enjoy that immensely.
Thanks! It has pretty low mileage. 3,000 miles.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:07 pm quote
Obviously more power in a hilly area and with a passenger is an obligatory choice ...
As for the choice as conditions of a used vehicle if you buy from a private individual, after checking the bureaucratic regularity, if you can bring a mechanical friend or a more expert scooter, it will be better.
If all goes well you will have a vehicle that will take you to places beyond imagination.
Welcome to MV from Latina (Italy).
Hooked
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:21 pm quote
Checklist:
Garage kept GTS
3000 miles
Windscreen
Floor mat
Top Case
Only $3000 in one of the most expensive cities in America

The look on my face if you pass this deal up....priceless
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 am quote
I'll double down on the 250 my friend. You'll need it for SF commuting especially with the 2nd rider on it. The extra power will help on the uphills around the city.
And it'll get you up to a decent speed over the GG Bridge and up and around the hills of the Marin Headlands.

Glad it was recently serviced but things to look at are the rubber parts (Tires, Hoses and the like) If you see them visibly cracking or dry to the touch. It "might" be an issue. The model year '06 - '07 I beleive the 250 still had a carburetor. I only mention this because if that model does have one, you might need to clean it.

Otherwise, especially for the SF Bay area marketplace $3000 for a 250cc is actually a great deal! I'd say bite the bullet and buy it.
Ossessionato
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 am quote
Not meaning to argue with anyone, but NYC/NJ is a very expensive area too and that 2007 GTS would be a $2500 bike around here even with a service and low miles. I would try to get the seller under $3K.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:14 am quote
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
The model year '06 - '07 I beleive the 250 still had a carburetor. I only mention this because if that model does have one, you might need to clean it.
The 250 GTS was always fuel injected.

Other models with the 250 Quasar engine had carbs for a while, but the GTS started off with FI.
Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 am quote
jimc wrote:
Sacto Monkeyboy wrote:
The model year '06 - '07 I beleive the 250 still had a carburetor. I only mention this because if that model does have one, you might need to clean it.
The 250 GTS was always fuel injected.

Other models with the 250 Quasar engine had carbs for a while, but the GTS started off with FI.
In the back of my mind I thought the carb's stopped at 200cc. The Neuron's weren't firing off well enough when I wrote that! Thanks for the clarification.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:47 am quote
Check under the floormat. You may be surprised.
Hooked
2007 Vespa 250 GTS
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:45 pm quote
Two years ago I bought an 07 GTS 250 "garage queen" for $2450. I checked the fluids, air in tires, and rode it several thousand miles until it was time for the scheduled service. It has been "stone reliable" and I now have 16,000 miles on it and love it. I had a chance to buy a much newer 300 for $3500 but was worried that I might not like it as much as my 250 which is very capable. Don't be afraid of a bargain on a queen. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it!
Tony in Tn
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:03 pm quote
I've ridden my 250 around SF and its quite capable. No problems on the hills. It will be a challenge tho if you don't have much experience on the hills, so get some experience before riding up/down steep hills. I wouldn't hesitate to ride a 250 in the city.

WRT service, if it was garaged in SF, the previous owner had the money to not cheap out on service. A garage in SF is VERY expensive.

Also, have a dealer do a VIN check for you to see if the fuel pump is part of the recall and if it was replaced. The first few years of the 250 had a poor fuel pump design and Piaggio did a recall.

Also, make sure it has the brown/brick-red key. That's needed to program another (blue) key to the bike.

Sounds like a nice bike. Enjoy it.

Best
Miguel
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 pm quote
You're getting good advice and encouragement. Another 250 GTS owner here. The prices doesn't seem out of line - you would want the windshield and top case if it didn't already have it, and... it is RED!

When I was looking, red would have been my first choice. Then white. Then black. Mine's black. Finding ANY used Vespa in our part of the country is rare. Mine is a 2009. I changed fluids, and air filter. Checked all the hoses. The tires were original (1400 miles on the bike when I got it two years ago), and I got another 2,500 miles out of those tires before they went to crap. New City Grips and I now have almost 10,000 miles on it. Runs great. No regrets.

I have generally bought new, but my experience with this used Vespa has been good. I have added a few things to make the scoot more comfortable for me (Corbin seat, Givi top case, Laminar Lip, USB power outlets). My wife has her own scoot, so it is rare we do two-up. She is not a fan of the pillion on the Vespa, because of the "out and around" reach to the footpegs (and she is long-legged) - you may want to look into a set of footpeg extensions to make your passenger more comfortable.

If you haven't worked on bikes before, YouTube will get you going. If you haven't already done so, I'd suggest a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Safe Rider Course.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:58 pm quote
Thanks everyone. So much great info shared. Iíll keep you updated with my search.

Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:02 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
I've ridden my 250 around SF and its quite capable. No problems on the hills. It will be a challenge tho if you don't have much experience on the hills, so get some experience before riding up/down steep hills. I wouldn't hesitate to ride a 250 in the city.

WRT service, if it was garaged in SF, the previous owner had the money to not cheap out on service. A garage in SF is VERY expensive.

Also, have a dealer do a VIN check for you to see if the fuel pump is part of the recall and if it was replaced. The first few years of the 250 had a poor fuel pump design and Piaggio did a recall.

Also, make sure it has the brown/brick-red key. That's needed to program another (blue) key to the bike.

Best
Miguel
Thanks for your message Miguel. I have been riding a 50cc for the last 2 months and struggled getting up the hills in SF. I am wondering what you mean by being careful going up and down the hills. I obviously slow down going down hill and rev up going up hill but my bike is very light and slow. The 250 will have more weight and power I guess
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:44 am quote
Simon1337 wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Best
Miguel
Thanks for your message Miguel. I have been riding a 50cc for the last 2 months and struggled getting up the hills in SF. I am wondering what you mean by being careful going up and down the hills. I obviously slow down going down hill and rev up going up hill but my bike is very light and slow. The 250 will have more weight and power I guess
Riding on hills is different than riding on the flat. Also, the 250 is significantly heavier than a 50cc and consequently has different dynamics and balance.

Coming to a stop on an up-hill is much faster because gravity is pulling the bike downhill. Careful not to lose your balance because the bike will come to a stop faster than expected. Thatís all.

On downhill, the road is further away so practice a bit to make sure your foot/feet can reach the ground. Just practice a bit. Thatís all.

Best Miguel
Enthusiast
2005 Vespa GT200L
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:23 am quote
Its just like driving a manual transmission car on hills, roll on some throttle so till the clutch starts to crab before you release the brakes when stopped on a steep hill, especially true if you have a car/suv/truck on your arse like they love to do. You dont want to roll backwards before going forwards. The GT being heavier will roll backwards if your not rolling on some throttle before releasing the brakes. I have a 150, and in stock form, even it falls back speed wise on hills and one reason I am looking at either getting this GT200 or having my engine kitted out and regeared to be nearly a 200cc engine. That is another option, having a LX or Primivara 150 kitted with the Malossi kit and the Polini regear. You get the power of a 200 but in a lighter, more nimble 150 small frame scooter. Scooter west has an excellent video from Robot of a Primivara 150 they do the cylinder kit, regear and pipe on. Really wakes up the bike. Just another option to consider if you feel the 250 is to heavy for you right now. You dont want to go so big that it becomes a problem. I did this with my journey into motorcycles and it got me injured trying to manage a very heavy and top heavy MC. I wont make that mistake again. Mike
Ossessionato
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:41 am quote
artfull dodger wrote:
Its just like driving a manual transmission car on hills, roll on some throttle so till the clutch starts to crab before you release the brakes when stopped on a steep hill, especially true if you have a car/suv/truck on your arse like they love to do. You dont want to roll backwards before going forwards. The GT being heavier will roll backwards if your not rolling on some throttle before releasing the brakes.
+1.
That's exactly the phenomenon I'm talking about. Thanks for spelling it out co clearly.

Best
Miguel
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.6278s ][ Queries: 28 (0.1012s) ][ Debug on ]