GTS 250 (2005) starting issues
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Vespa GTS 250
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:09 am quote
Hi,

Just started on a project and have a really odd issue, essentially I can't start the bike, the dash all lights up and the code light goes out when I turn the key to on. There is no response when I pull the brake and press the start button but .... When I switch the kill to off the bike makes a whiring noise I'm not sure this is the pump or starter motor rocking without engagement but some life, then even more weirdly if I pull the brake this stops, almost like things are in reverse, pressing the start button seems to have no effect to any of this.

I'm at a loss and any help would be very much appreciated, the the guy I bought it from stated that it was running before storage a couple of years ago and he's a trusted friend so I have no reason to doubt that, the ignition switch is a little dodgy in that you need to juggle the key a little to get a response but the dash remains on solid once you've got the spot, the oil light seems to bounce off and on a bit though, not sure that's relevant.

The centre stand is broken and half attached but again not sure that's relevant.

Many thanks,

Ralph
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:57 am quote
What's the condition of the battery?

Did you check the brake light comes on when either brake lever is pulled?
Vespa GTS 250
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 am quote
Hi, Well the battery isn't great to be honest, I have it hooked up to a charger. The brake lights do come on yes, the clicking noise is coming from (excuse my lack of technical knowledge) a white electric component box just under the seat.
Moderaptor
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am quote
If the battery is the same as came with the scoot, and had been left without being refreshed every month or so while the scoot was laid up, then is is certainly toast.

The clicking noise will be the starter relay - but there's not enough current capacity in the battery to get the starter motor moving. The stall current of that motor is very high!
Vespa GTS 250
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 pm quote
Thanks, I'll have to outlay on a new battery for a start then, but why would the relay attempt to operate when I release the brakes with the kill switch in the dead position, this seems to be the polar opposite of what you'd need to start the bike... On top of that I'm not even pressing the start button!
Moderaptor
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm quote
Ralph_Norwich wrote:
Thanks, I'll have to outlay on a new battery for a start then, but why would the relay attempt to operate when I release the brakes with the kill switch in the dead position, this seems to be the polar opposite of what you'd need to start the bike... On top of that I'm not even pressing the start button!
You might be hearing it click off.

All is unknown until you have a decent, known good, fully charged battery. With a weak one, all sorts of oddities can occur.
Vespa GTS 250
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:51 pm quote
Yes I guess so, I'll start with the battery of course, the clicking by the way is continuous not just a single click, I'll follow up when I've tried a new battery, many thanks for the help 😀
Moderaptor
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:57 pm quote
Ralph_Norwich wrote:
Yes I guess so, I'll start with the battery of course, the clicking by the way is continuous not just a single click, I'll follow up when I've tried a new battery, many thanks for the help 😀
Yes, that clicking is the starter relay acting as a buzzer.

Relay on - huge current, volts drop, relay off, volts rise - rinse and repeat.
Enthusiast
2009 GTS 250 "Noa"
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:06 pm quote
You could use some booster cables from a known good battery from a passenger vehicle as a proof of concept.
Addicted
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:34 am quote
Although, I read somewhere, that it's not good to jump the scooter from a battery on the car! Jim, can you confirm this?

Graham
Moderaptor
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:00 am quote
There's no problem using a car battery to jump-start the bike. Just don't have the car running.
Vespa GTS 250
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:50 pm quote
Well new battery and spark plug fitted and it fires up and runs very nicely, many thanks Jim and everyone who offered support, I'll undoubtedly be back with some more problems in due course 😀.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1387s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0436s) ][ Debug on ]