Shad SH58/SH59 on a Vespa
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:02 pm quote
Intrigued by these, but I haven't seen one in person anywhere to get a sense of scale for what it would look like on a smaller frame (150cc) scooter. I'd only be interested in riding with it in its compressed size, but with the ability to expand it to store riding gear while parked. Does anyone have experience with one?

Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm quote
interesting concept. mostly you have to just get over the fact that top boxes look kind of dorky and get into the fact that having storage kicks ass. It took me about 11 years of riding to get that concept, and now I love my Givi 40L topcase, I move it from my Ninja to the GTS back and forth, it is really nice to have.
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:43 pm quote
Oh I already have a stock top box, and I donít find them dorky at all But rather just part of the standard aesthetic of a scooter. I just like the idea that this one can fit more than just a full face helmet and my gloves while parked.
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:46 pm quote
This Shad one is even smaller that my stock one vertically when itís compressed, my main concern is whether the horizontal measurements would look ridiculous. I can only find photos of it on much larger Dual Sport bikes, often with side cases as well so itís hard to get a gauge.
Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:17 pm quote
Clever solution to the height but that seems the least important measurement on a scooter. You are already going to be sitting above it anyway. This likely diminishes any aero aspect for the height as we are sitting so close to the case. The more concerning aspect for me would be the width. I just did a quick check and my Sprint 150 is ~19in wide... so a little over 48cm wide and the SH58 is listed as 60cm wide. That explains the video where the case is as wide as an arm. I measured the handlebars with bar-ends and my Sprint is 77-ish cm wide.

http://www.shad.es/en/shad-world/products/cases/top-cases/sh58x/c17r160/
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 pm quote
Yeeesh. Yeah thatís pretty wide. That would look super weird on a smaller bike, especially one without side luggage.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:54 pm quote
Do they make a mounting bracket for your scooter?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:53 am quote
HollerAtchaSoy wrote:
Yeeesh. Yeah thatís pretty wide. That would look super weird on a smaller bike, especially one without side luggage.
Agreed. You really need panniers to complete the look.
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:43 pm quote
I am using a SHAD 39 ltr. topbox but do feel that any larger case is tempting fate as too much rearward weight on a scooter that doesn't respond well to such weight is dangerous!
My SHAD mounting plate easily mounts to the OE Vespa flip type cargo rack. Once the plates mounted the case is easily removed and holds the rack open.
If you had a tank slapper, serious wobble event, as did I-> that put you in fear of your life, it would make a lasting impression.
The size shown is large for even a very big motorcycle.
Enthusiast
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:12 am quote
Those very large cases exert a lot of leverage on the racks when they get stressed during a fall or when they are filled with heavy stuff in motion. Friend of mine bought a used scooter (non-Vespa) in part because he liked the size of the Shad top case the PO had installed. He discovered a few days into ownership that overstress had cracked the frame tube the rack was screwed into and one of the three rack mounting points was essentially free-floating. I effected a fix by threading an oversized mounting bolt into a long plug of reinforced industrial epoxy cast into the tube, but there was clearly a LOT of unintended stress on that mount.

My takeaway from his experience is that it is best to size a top case to fit your helmet when the scooter is not in use, and find other ways to schlep stuff that wonít fit into the case when youíre wearing the helmet - saddle bags, dry bags, etc. Too much junk in the trunk can lead to unintended consequences!

EDIT: that Shad is 46L in its smallest size - I think that was my friendís case size, and it is too big. Also the expansion feature to 56L (+22%) is not a great value considering the cost of other storage options, at least IMO.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1561s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0241s) ][ Debug on ]