LX 50 Possible Flooded?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
LX50
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:07 pm quote
I have been trying to remedy my start stalling issue ever since my scooter fell over on the driverʻs side during a heavy storm. It seemed to be a fuel issue as I could hardly get any fuel out with the vacuum hooked up. I got it running for longer than it would before but it would still die suddenly after about a minute of idling. I could feather throttle and keep it alive but it would cycle and try to die again. I installed a new fuel tap but now it wonʻt start at all. I am so used to giving lots of throttle to get it started I am afraid I flooded it. I removed the gas line and the gas now shoots a heavy stream when I turn it over. It didn't do that before so Iʻm not sure whatʻs normal. If it is flooded can I just let it sit for awhile or do I have to start taking things apart to dry out?

Thanks!
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:19 am quote
If you remove the gas line from the carburetor with the engine off, gas should come out until the line is empty, then stop. When you turn the engine over with the fuel line disconnected at the carb, outside in the driveway and not in your house or garage, gas should pulse out as you turn the engine over. If it's a long steady stream that never lets up, you need another petcock. Not that uncommon with OEM Piaggio petcocks, unfortunately.
Ossessionato
73 Rally, 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 65 Li225 Silver Special, 86,95,96 Elite 80s, 2015 HD Road Glide Special, 2011 Ural Tourist
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:27 am quote
Morning. I'm assuming you have a 4 stroke motor? I'm more familiar with the LX150 4 stroke motor so I'll type things up assuming you have a similar set up. If it doesnt match no problem. Let me know and I'll type something up for a two stroke setup.

Yes its definitely possible to flood an engine. Normally if you wait a few days the cylinder will clear up, or pull the spark plug and roll over the engine a few times to help air out the cylinder.

When I've tried to troubleshoot fuel to carb issues I've used a dummy tank to narrow down the culprit. Got any small fuel tanks or a funnel with a long length of fuel hose? If you totally remove the fuel line and replace it with your test hose and then fill the test tank with fuel, in theory, the scooter will start and run until it runs out of gas. If your scooter runs perfectly with the dummy tank then I'd focus on the fuel tap/ vacuum lines/ evap system (if equipped?) as your culprit.

If it still runs terrible with the dummy tank, i'd focus on everything around the carb. Start with a carb clean/ adjusting your float and needle. Then make sure the air filter snorkel is attached and secure. Then I'd make sure the air filter itself is clean and not full of gas. Lastly I'd check the rubber intake manifold and make sure its secure and not tearing/ leaking.

After that, I'd unbolt your exhaust and see if thats full of water or gas. Despite times call for desperate measures.

Last i'd check the oil and valve cover and see if water got into the motor somehow and turned the oil into a milkshake like sludge

Let us know!
LX50
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:54 pm quote
If I pull gas line from carb and leave vacuum line hooked up it will shoot steady stream of gas when trying to start. If I remove the vacuum line, the gas will not flow. I know this is correct but it wasn't working this way with my old fuel tap. I would think it would be easier to start and run now but so far just cranks.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:18 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
If you remove the gas line from the carburetor with the engine off, gas should come out until the line is empty, then stop. When you turn the engine over with the fuel line disconnected at the carb, outside in the driveway and not in your house or garage, gas should pulse out as you turn the engine over. If it's a long steady stream that never lets up, you need another petcock. Not that uncommon with OEM Piaggio petcocks, unfortunately.
This is pretty good advice. I'm going to make that test next time my lx50 misbehaves.

Last weekend I removed the carb and sprayed it with some cleaner. My buddy said that it looked good so we decided not to disassemble it since we didn't have the gasket for it.
Addicted
2006 LX 50
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:55 am quote
I always recommend replacing the fuel lines with translucent fuel line readily available from your local power equipment dealer. Mine has a blueish tint, and is ethanol resistant. It makes it really easy to confirm the fuel line is full of fuel, and the vacuum line isn't. Maybe your carb just needs a good cleaning. It's a simple carb. With some mechanical skill it's an easy job to disassemble, clean and reassemble. If you're not comfortable with this, just replace the carb.

There's always a chance the fall may just be coincidence, and you may have a faulty CDI. If you have a 2005-2006 LX 50 I highly recommend replacing the CDI. If it hasn't failed yet, it's only a matter of time. Also, if you haven't already, replace the spark plug at the same time.

Click on the link below and read the entire description.

https://scooterpartsco.com/vespa/lx-50/lx-50-performance/cdi-coil-for-vespa-lx-50-piaggio-fly-50-2v-unrestricted?zenid=42f81476ba682601277d05c62474309c
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:53 am quote
Hey Frank I am thinking I would gladly pay a hundred bucks to gain an extra six miles per hour on my glacial scooter.😀

Screenshot_20200130-072244.png

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1938s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0371s) ][ Debug on ]