MP3 fuel filter / extract pump
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:37 pm quote
I want to replace the fuel filters, but I cannot fully extract the whole pump from the tank.
Does anyone know how to do it?? It looks like I have to untie the green part but I don't want to find myself in a situation where I can't put it back as it is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XZxjCFafqcAJNZct7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTqwsLfNYt9Kopk98
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CrbEBHDipkYEdYzN9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/giHEhubYMccS9pvA8
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:18 pm quote
Per the Piaggio service manual, you must remove that clamp before being able to access the fuel filter.

Piaggio does not call for replacement of this filter as part of scheduled maintenance. What makes you think yours is bad? Fuel contamination is a possibility but pretty rare, unless the bike sat a very loooong time.

BTW, the filter (Piaggio part# 639455) is supplied with a new clamp BUT it is pretty expensive at more than 50 Euro and you need special clamp pliers to install the new filter. If you don't have the right tools, and you are not having fuel system problems, I'd leave it alone.

I think most dealers would just replace the pump as a unit complete with filter if the pump is at fault.

Are you replacing the fuel strainer sock as well? I don't think that is available as a separate. It is only available when you buy a complete new pump assembly

Since you have already removed the pump, be sure to replace the rubber seal at the top of the tank to avoid fuel leaks or vapors.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:40 pm quote
hope this helps.

here is a complete new fuel pump assy as shipped from piaggio. it goes in as a complete assy and comes out as a complete assy.

piaggio fuel pump 1 .jpg

piaggio fuel pump 2 .jpg

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:51 am quote
think the pic from OAD is en newer pump a older 400 does have a metal mass filter can be cleaned

but never did have a filter going wrong most pumps are going wrong or the relay under the screen 1 of the 4
Enthusiast
mp3 500 2016
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:18 am quote
Anyone knows wats the real useable volume of the fuel?
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:58 pm quote
The fuel tank has a capacity of 12 Liters per Piaggio spec.

However, I usually refuel right before the low fuel light comes on (just before the needle reaches the red zone). My average refill qty is 8 Liters.

Being a car mechanic, my reasoning is that you want the fuel pump itself continually submerged to provide cooling to the pump. This may or may not apply to the Piaggio, but that is what experience has taught me working on cars over several decades.

In other words, you don't ever want to run it down to the last drop as it will usually come at the expense of fuel pump life.
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:41 am quote
Thx for the answers.
The reason why I though to replace the fuel filters, actually comes from an another motorbike, a KTM. On that filters get clogged pretty easily and eventually stress the pump till is completely toasted.

However, it just makes sense to me that like for oil and air, also fuel filters need to be replaced at certain point, as there's always a level of impurity (or even water) in the fuel itself, so it's a matter of time.

I thought I could just replace the filters, but looks like Piaggio doesn't sell them separately, perhaps on purpose.
So I'll put back everything as it is and leave it, hoping to not find myself stuck somewhere with fuel pump issues. Even because to get that out, you have to tear down all body parts; not something I'd like to do out of my garage.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm quote
sandrocchio_0.1 wrote:
Thx for the answers.
The reason why I though to replace the fuel filters, actually comes from an another motorbike, a KTM. On that filters get clogged pretty easily and eventually stress the pump till is completely toasted.

However, it just makes sense to me that like for oil and air, also fuel filters need to be replaced at certain point, as there's always a level of impurity (or even water) in the fuel itself, so it's a matter of time.

I thought I could just replace the filters, but looks like Piaggio doesn't sell them separately, perhaps on purpose.
So I'll put back everything as it is and leave it, hoping to not find myself stuck somewhere with fuel pump issues. Even because to get that out, you have to tear down all body parts; not something I'd like to do out of my garage.
af1 racing has them separately https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=34232&sku=639455&description=OEM+Piaggio+Fuel+Filter+%2D+639455
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:23 pm quote
That's the most expensive plastic in line fuel filter I've ever seen. Hopefully the filtering media is made from endangered species to justify that sort of coin.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:38 pm quote
sandrocchio_0.1 wrote:
Thx for the answers.

Fuel filter won't take water out.

I put 256,000 miles on my Ford Focus, estimated total fuel consumption ~8,000 gallons or so. Never did replace the fuel filter.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 pm quote
sbaert wrote:
That's the most expensive plastic in line fuel filter I've ever seen. Hopefully the filtering media is made from endangered species to justify that sort of coin.
Where, you might ask, can you buy that fine filter for a lot less than $63? Here's a link to a place that sells them for $30:

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7286

The company that makes the filter is French. Peugeot, Ducati and MV Agusta use the same filter in some of their bikes, so the odds are that in the EU you can find a replacement a whole lot cheaper than 50 euros. Probably about 10 or less.
Mahle KL145 and Wix 33032 MIGHT cross reference, but I would physically compare them before buying one.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:46 am quote
sbaert wrote:
I bought an OEM upgraded air filter for my Ford Power Stroke. The replacement filter element was $75. But no dirt got past that filter, used same technology as the Abrams M1 Tank and same manufacture designed the filter for Ford.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 am quote
sandrocchio_0.1 wrote:
Thx for the answers.

I've never heard of ANY Piaggio bike having a problem with a clogged fuel filter, or dirty fuel getting into the engine.

Why you think this might happen just to you, I do not know.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:57 am quote
I have 60,000 miles on my MP3 500 and have never changed the fuel filter.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:49 pm quote
jimc wrote:
I've never heard of ANY Piaggio bike having a problem with a clogged fuel filter, or dirty fuel getting into the engine.

Why you think this might happen just to you, I do not know.
I agree 100%. The odds are better that you will break something taking the pump out, taking it apart and putting it back in than that you will have a clogged fuel filter. And if you do change it out successfully, Murphy's Law dictates that your fuel pump will stop working soon after. And that's almost $300 for a new one, plus doing exactly the same work over again. It's a big filter, there's a pump forcing gas through it, and the bag at the bottom filters out the rocks.
I've not had a problem with clogged fuel filters, even buying some really sketchy gas out of plastic gallon water bottles that clearly had debris at the bottom, on the side of the road in Mexico.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1605s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0332s) ][ Debug on ]