OP
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I would like to locate someone from the UK who is willing to send me a small seed packet to Kentucky, USA of tomato seeds developed and sold by Suttons Seed Co. in Britain.
The variety name is Crimson Crush, which they developed as "the worlds most blight resistant tomato".
They are listed on the web under UK/Amazon but no shipping to the USA.
I can pay via PayPal.
Let me know if your a candidate for this favor? Thanks!
UTC

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
UTC quote
Sadly, if you plant those in the US, they will grow into Triiffids and take over your country...
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Sadly, if you plant those in the US, they will grow into Triiffids and take over your country...
How is that sad?
@angrywasptamer avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super Sport 300 Yellow (2018)

Hooked
@angrywasptamer avatar
Vespa GTS Super Sport 300 Yellow (2018)
UTC quote
I guess it makes sense that the most blight resistant seeds would escape Blighty.

I got some US made organic marinara sauce at a little independent grocers today which was lovely so I don't mind returning the favour!
@willie_b avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221

Ossessionato
@willie_b avatar
'20 300GTS Super Tec '09 250 GTSie '75 Rally 200 '79 P200 '09 Stella 221
UTC quote
Is there a Kentucky tomato blight I need to know about?
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X
@grahamlml avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979

Addicted
@grahamlml avatar
UTC quote
I don't have a problem doing that Kantckid. Pm me if you not got anyone yet.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
Thanks, I learned a new term today,via google- even if nobody else will know of what I speak hereabouts...
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Willie B wrote:
Is there a Kentucky tomato blight I need to know about?
If you garden then you'll know full well about the two very common blights that kill plants. They sure are not limited to Kentucky!!! The more historical reference is the Irish Potato Blight, e.g. the potato famine that killed millions which is also known now days as the "Late Blight" and apparently still found in Europe in soils. truth is it never----goes----awayyyyyyy.........
YUK!
The other blight is the Early Blight.
We had no particular late Blight issue in our main garden until I brought in a trailer load of dairy farm manure I thought was a true free favor. Yea. We also got some weeds in the pile that we have learned to hate on.
Given that your in Kentucky, still a major tobacco producer, you may have heard of the "Blue Mold
that has plauged tobacco crops for many years, especaily when its really wet-THAT! is blight using another set of words. organic sprays such as copper can help but if it's very wet or the plant got a good dose of the crap it dies an ugly, non-productive death and much work goes down the tube.
Heirloom tomatoes tend to be more susceptible than F1hybrids.
I have a number of seeds coming now via an ebay order from the Ukraine for tomatos. The seller is quite knowledgeable, speaks English well and has informative, interesting listings which include some Russian varieties and great prices-far less expensive that the USA or the UK.
Given climate variations in recent years it seems the blights have become even more pesty. Last couple years near me have been "100 year rainfalls years" as an e.g.. Even professional growers around me had failed tomato crops.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
grahamlml wrote:
I don't have a problem doing that Kantckid. Pm me if you not got anyone yet.
PM sent!
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
In our single visit to the UK (Ireland was another trip) we spent much time visiting gardens, both a few formal ones and many more "real ones" with veggies and fruits, etc.. The English are premier gardeners as you well may know. To those who are not in the know, Brits actually use walk boards in their garden rows to avoid soil compaction.
A seed story:
I was chasing some bean seeds a few years back that I'd brought here from Hungary, bought fresh from a huge pile at the central market in Budapest, where one of our sons was attending the Technical University at the time. They were being sold all over that market in huge multi-colored piles.
They didn't grow at all but kept my interest. I do a serious web search and find those exact same beans had also caught the eye of a royal family member in Britain. I was on a bean forum that had hard core bean enthusiasts who talked in Latin names, so on. One USA guy had over 400 beans in his collection! They freeze them and rotate the seeds into the soil then back to storage, so on.
I then read an article I'm referred to about this royal lady who has them in her garden, and it's in the UK Times, so on. After reading the article I then write an letter to the royal lady but no answer. The journalist to whom I'd sent my letter for forward to "lady so & so", tells me in a forum PM, that I need to become aware that a commoner such as myself cannot expect direct correspondence with a member of the royal family.
That's where the bean story dies, me a commoner.
I did have an offer from a Hungarian rider on ADV Rider but that died out. I also looked at a forum from Cleveland, OH which had Hungarian-American gardeners living there but no luck on the seeds.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
You joke about it but I knew that in some countries of the world there are restrictions and controls for the shipment of plant varieties other than the area for which they are destined ... and there are also fines; double check before shipping food, seeds and other organic items.
@harbinger avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@harbinger avatar
2023 Arancia Impulsivo Vespa GTS300 HPE , 2022 BMW R1250GSA 40th Anniversary, 2019 Ural Gear Up
UTC quote
We have a pretty big rooftop garden and our tomatoes are always a challenge. Often get with stuff on their bums...

Now I have The Queen is Dead stuck in my head... least it's a good song with an awesome intro.

Oh! Take me back to dear old Blighty,
Put me on the train for London Town,
Take me anywhere,
Drop me anywhere,
Liverpool, Leeds or Birmingham
'Cause I don't care,
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Stromrider wrote:
You joke about it but I knew that in some countries of the world there are restrictions and controls for the shipment of plant varieties other than the area for which they are destined ... and there are also fines; double check before shipping food, seeds and other organic items.
I knew a "worry wart" would surface.

Attila- it's called the phytosanitary certificate and many countries, if not most all, have their bureaucrats who protect us. Do we really need to get into the concerns you raise over a seed that's hardly noxious.

I once bought several seed packets in a garden center in UK then they threw them away in Detroit @ customs, then I saw the same damned brand of seeds from the UK on a huge seed rack in a Kentucky garden center. Go figure huh?
There is a process to apply for such a certificate, not something I want to get into for sure.

What happens with the tomato seeds should they be opened is they throw them away, no fines on either end!
The protections are a serious matter but in this case why raise the red flags? Live plants and some meats are the larger concern other than noxious plants. Many plants are not shipable within the USA to protect commercial crops, but tomato seeds is never one of those to begin with.
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
Stromrider wrote:
@belkwinith avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@belkwinith avatar
UTC quote
A great read. Interesting with regards to our dependance on just a view varieties of vegetables and fruits which may get us into to trouble if any super Blight comes along.

https://www.amazon.com/Botany-Desire-Plants-Eye-View-World/dp/0375760393
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid:

... sorry, I didn't want to raise controversy ... I guess there are phytosanitary certificates on many products, I know ... it's part of my business.
Digression...
But ... "worry wart" ...?
I learned a new and funny expression, if translated into my language it is really funny but explanatory, yes ... remarkably.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I fully understand. I made a somewhat serious response to a somewhat serious post is all. I'll share this tidbit- When I was conversing with "Tania" the Ukranian lady who has a huge ebay presence in the form of an ebay store with many thousands of feedbacks, I ask her straight up how her luck has run with customs. She made reference to the USA application process for a phyto certificate but says nobody ever applies as the odds are so poor of small seed packets getting opened. She says they "catch" or have personnel you might say to check ~ 2% of what they encounter.
Kind of scary when you think much about that huh?
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
angrywasptamer wrote:
I guess it makes sense that the most blight resistant seeds would escape Blighty.

I got some US made organic marinara sauce at a little independent grocers today which was lovely so I don't mind returning the favour!
One needs to lay down the compost at the end of the Fall. In such a way that you'll have a compost tea after all this snow and rain.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Unfortunately in Italy there is no control over the import of organic goods, in addition to this animal species and insects are also imported in a thousand different ways ... these then multiply and spread by killing and replacing indigenous species. Many plant diseases have happened this way ... An example? A crocodile was seen several times in an irrigation canal near my house!
@max6200 avatar
UTC

Banned
2006 GTS 250

Banned
@max6200 avatar
2006 GTS 250
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Unfortunately in Italy there is no control over the import of organic goods.
oh we don't need to import organic goods we have enough cows around here in Kansas.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
Unfortunately in Italy there is no control over the import of organic goods, in addition to this animal species and insects are also imported in a thousand different ways ... these then multiply and spread by killing and replacing indigenous species. Many plant diseases have happened this way ... An example? A crocodile was seen several times in an irrigation canal near my house!
That would seem to be a collision path to lost agriculture production in Italy, especially given the mild climate in the lower part of the country.
Crocs in Italy! Scary critters. We are headed for alligator land next week. We share the same penchant for warmer environs.

Just read an article on "pure wines" vs. all the others made using pesticides.
Organic is great when it works. It's often an abused term though. With a few foods it's easy, others really tough. We ride the fence on organic and do it when possible but not always but we don't sell our stuff, just eat it.
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Everyone, if somebody wants Russian vegetable seeds (they're dedicated to be grown either in short season or in greenhouses), you're very welcome. I can buy, wrap and send with tracking. Seeds here are very cheap.

Me instead is interested in mulberry cuttings of any kind. And I am VERY interested in Himalayan/Pakistan/Long mulberry. So if anyone could share/sell/swap some cuttings with me, PM me please.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Red mulberry in USA unless you pay like $30 plus pstg for an exotic here, as your after, as comes from a nursery. WIKI on mulberries is interesting, the male trees are banned in some USA cities as they cause asthmatics serious lung issues, while the female trees are mild pollen.
We had more of them in KS when I was a kid, hardly seen here in KY? You always knew if one was nearby given that everything had purple bird poop on it in a huge area near a tree. I personally don't care much for the fruit, tastes like a blackberry that lost 75% of it's flavor?
WIKI says lots of research into commercial use of the fruits for non-toxic food colors while the Vit C, etc, is extracted too for human use.
I sure wouldn't want to try raising a tomato outdoors in Russia unless it was maybe down on the Caspian. 16 F here this a.m. maybe a tad coolish...
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Jah wrote:
Everyone, if somebody wants Russian vegetable seeds (they're dedicated to be grown either in short season or in greenhouses), you're very welcome. I can buy, wrap and send with tracking. Seeds here are very cheap.

Me instead is interested in mulberry cuttings of any kind. And I am VERY interested in Himalayan/Pakistan/Long mulberry. So if anyone could share/sell/swap some cuttings with me, PM me please.
At home, the cultivation of some varieties can be done with good small satisfactions, at an industrial level it is different ... in Russia I don't know ... I don't know what climate changes are causing in those areas; today this is the problem when planting a plant, predicting the prevailing climatic trend of the area in which it is.
In Italy we suffer a lot from this, traditional crops are disappearing and others are not producing enough to support the expenses.
Chelyabinsk is quite in the north, I don't know what local agriculture does ...
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125

Hooked
Aprilia Mojito 125
UTC quote
Here lots of things are grown. Apples, pears, plums, apricots, cherries (sour ones mostly), Lonicera, gooseberries, raspberry, blackberry, currants, etc. As annuals are grown tomatoes, eggplants, peppers (of any kind), pumpkins/gourds/squashes/marrows/zucchini/whatever they are called, cabbage/kale/cauliflower/broccoli/kohlrabi/whatever, lots of herbs... Me personally grows radicchio and other cicorie (Attila, you know what I mean ) Potatoes of course...

More or less our weather reminds Canadian one. Except here we rarely see snow up to 3rd floor

Almost for anything grown here there are local varieties. So if anyone is interested, I can help with seeds.
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Jah wrote:
...(Attila, you know what I mean ....
Oh yes ... I am a farmer and i have a farm, i understand ...
I am curious because I know that many Italian companies are doing business in your areas, your city is very large and populated; it is nice and useful for everyone to trade, it moves the economy.
I personally am in favor of trade with your country and neighboring countries.
Returning to the discussion of seeds, I would like to set up a small greenhouse (50 meters by 10 meters) to grow an officinal plant.
In Italy among the most imported products we find: the odoriferous substances used as raw materials in the food and beverage industries; in 2011 about 13 thousand tons were imported at a cost of approximately 305 million euro, corresponding to 31% of imports of medicinal plants and their derivatives; incredible right?
Then there are the odoriferous substances for the non-food industry; in 2011, over 16 thousand tons were imported at a cost of around 221 million euros, corresponding to 23% of Italy's total outlay; also in this case the comment of the previous point applies; vegetable juices and extracts (excluding liquorice, hops, vanilla and opium oleoresin); in 2011, about 5 thousand tons were imported at a cost of 47 million euros, corresponding to about 5% of Italy's total outlay; plants, or parts of plants, seeds and fruits, of the species mainly used in perfumery, medicine or in the preparation of insecticides, pesticides and the like, fresh or dried, whether or not cut, crushed or pulverized (excluding ginseng rootlets, coca leaves, poppy straw and tonka beans); in 2011, more than 11 thousand tons were imported with an outlay of approximately 46 million euros, corresponding to about 5% of Italy's total expenditure. Furthermore, imports of essential oils, resinoids and oleoresins in the complex resulted in a disbursement of approximately 49 million euros and mainly concerned "other essential oils" other than citrus and mint ones (841 tons) and orange essential oils (630 thousand tons).
Then there is the spices and aromatics group which with 46 million euros and almost 8 thousand tons also represents a significant item of the commercial deficit of the medicinal plants and derivatives sector. Among the main spices and imported aromatics, it can be estimated that around 19 million in expenditure concern products cultivable in Italy, such as saffron, fennel seeds, juniper berries, anise and thyme; the rest are exotic products such as nutmeg, ginger, vanilla, cloves or mixtures of chopped spices.
The combined analysis of the needs of the Italian market and that of exchanges with foreign countries has made it possible to highlight that the needs of Italian companies for many products and semi-finished products attributable to officinal plants is met by importing from abroad; on the other hand there are some national production niches, such as citrus essential oils, vegetable dyes, vegetable extracts used for tanning which have excellent demand abroad. Consequently, an increase in production would be desirable domestic of these products. Sorry if I lengthened with the explanation, the juice is that if you want you can make small crops and gain something.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Here in Kentucky, Ginseng we got (except the US Forestry folks have it on the no can do list, but the coca leaves I doubt we can help? Wha? emoticon
Netherlands is the king of greenhouses?
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
It should be Spain, to be precise in Almeria.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Attila wrote:
A crocodile was seen several times in an irrigation canal near my house!
That is not a problem at all. If they are anything like an alligator, then they are really good eating...... Razz emoticon
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Attila wrote:
A crocodile was seen several times in an irrigation canal near my house!
That is not a problem at all. If they are anything like an alligator, then they are really good eating...... Razz emoticon
You would be amazed by the variety of non-typical animals that are only in my area ... even Asian wild boars, tropical snakes, asian nutria (large like coyotes), large mice like cats and strange shapes with pointed ears and hairy tails and many mutant varieties ...! Things not to believe, I who work in the agricultural fields often see strange things (and I don't drink alcohol ).
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
I googled "weird animals in Italy" and came up with wolves at about 500 total for the country. That's quite few actually compared to the USA. In Denali NP, AK there are less than 200 currently for comparison. Also got lynx in Italy. No poisonous snakes.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I fully understand. I made a somewhat serious response to a somewhat serious post is all. I'll share this tidbit- When I was conversing with "Tania" the Ukranian lady who has a huge ebay presence in the form of an ebay store with many thousands of feedbacks, I ask her straight up how her luck has run with customs. She made reference to the USA application process for a phyto certificate but says nobody ever applies as the odds are so poor of small seed packets getting opened. She says they "catch" or have personnel you might say to check ~ 2% of what they encounter.
Kind of scary when you think much about that huh?
This reminds me... of the topic, of course .... we once got a Japanese cooking kit as a Christmas present from our relatives abroad. It was a comprehensive set, including also a tiny sample of very good wasabi paste.

Now, I don't know whether it was because of sniffer dogs, and if, how in earth they could have sniffed the wasabi from a sealed, tiny container, but off I went - to the customs authorities. There, under the supervision of a few very serious looking guys I dismantled our Christmas present from the original wrappings, until they were satisfied with the lot. A large bunch of kitchen utensils and a tiny container of wasabi paste.

So I guess I wouldn't want to try my luck here...
@attila avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@attila avatar
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
I googled "weird animals in Italy" and came up with wolves at about 500 total for the country. That's quite few actually compared to the USA. In Denali NP, AK there are less than 200 currently for comparison. Also got lynx in Italy. No poisonous snakes.
https://www.animali-velenosi.it/animali-velenosi-in-italia/ there are vipers.
@grahamlml avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@grahamlml avatar
UTC quote
Seeds are now sorted post soon.
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Getting back toward the tomato topic I began( and away from Italian crocodiles, etc.,ha!), there have been many tomato varieties developed in the USA as Late Blight and Early Blight have become prevalent. Seed catalogs and seed racks are full of them here.
North Carolina State and Oregon State University researchers came up with the ones I've seen and sold in most garden catalogs here, many carry the name "Mountain" this or that, like Mountain Magic, Mountain Merit, Defiant, and several cherry tomato varieties.
They are all, every one a "Determinate tomato", not "Indeterminate".
Many home growers prefer long season tomatoes which continue to bear all the way to frost, vs. short season which bear mostly all at once before they quit as are many commercial varieties, thus lending them to picking one time, then shipped.
Places like FL & CA grow lots of field grown determinate varieties. You'll see them on poles with string and black plastic machine installed mulch and picked one time then the rest of the fruit is often left behind! I have one time in FL picked behind the main harvest for $5 a bucket and the vine ripened tomatoes were actually very good compared to most not so great store bought tomatoes.
My buddy in school job said " you get tomatoes at the store and you get real maters at the garden".
That's the rest of the story...
Patio tomatoes are mostly determinate too to keep size smaller.
The UK tomato in this thread, is indeterminate! A huge difference for home gardeners and I predict it will eventually be seen here at retail.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Here in Kentucky, Ginseng we got (except the US Forestry folks have it on the no can do list, but the coca leaves I doubt we can help? Wha? emoticon
For all the Tulips. Fly into Schiphol Airport in March, Tulips as far as the eye can see.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Kantuckid wrote:
For all the Tulips. Fly into Schiphol Airport in March, Tulips as far as the eye can see.
But check the season first.... we were there in March, unusually wet and cold, and not a tulip in sight. Crying or Very sad emoticon The sign in the little square tulip plot at our airport hotel suggested we come back in May.

I suspect the greenhouses are mostly for other crops...they produce a TON of flowers and lots of veggies that need more cold weather protection than tulips. They are impressive, though...took a train to Haarlem and saw countless greenhouses covering hundreds of acres.

Edit: Just ran across this article. Impressive amount of work on this. As much as I prefer a cleaner landscape, production with fewer pesticides and less water is amazing.

https://www.thecivilengineer.org/news-center/latest-news/item/1544-dutch-greenhouses-have-revolutionized-modern-farming
⚠️ Last edited by fledermaus on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
UTC quote
Been there, done that.

Tulips are outdoors.
Peppers are a huge greenhouse business over there.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1773s ][ Queries: 43 (0.1309s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]