[NSR] Corona Virus.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...555657Next
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm quote
Thank you Miguel for that referenced input.
Definitely food for thought...!

My country has high rates of TB and particularly MDR and XDR strains.
Wearing masks for suspected cases in health facilities was something I had proposed when I was part of the management of the Dept Health.
At the time, it was rejected due to the potential stigmatization of TB patients.
I then suggested giving all patients masks and using them for positive health slogans.
"Not feasible!" I was told.

I retired a year ago.
Now everyone is required to wear masks everywhere.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:52 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Thank you Miguel for that referenced input.
Definitely food for thought...!

My country has high rates of TB and particularly MDR and XDR strains.
Wearing masks for suspected cases in health facilities was something I had proposed when I was part of the management of the Dept Health.
At the time, it was rejected due to the potential stigmatization of TB patients.
I then suggested giving all patients masks and using them for positive health slogans.
"Not feasible!" I was told.

I retired a year ago.
Now everyone is required to wear masks everywhere.
It's a tricky balance between socially acceptable norms and science. You focused on the science which should have won out. We are only now seeing recommendations from national politicians to wear masks. Unfortunately, that has impacted the number of cases and deaths we've seen in the US. There is of course more to this story but I'll leave it there.

Fortunately, the county (330K people) I live in has seen relatively few infection, amazingly, and we've only had 3 Covid deaths tho there are likely others. The county is working with the state of California to clearly establish what qualifies as a Covid death. Fortunately, most residents wear masks and is likely what has helped prevent the spread. Unfortunately, we are a big tourist destination and its always amazes me how few tourists are wearing masks. The county has acknowledged that the tourist population will raise the infection rate amongst residents. To avoid getting Covid, you have to be a fanatic about masks, handwashing, avoiding people whenever possible and physical distancing when you can't.

Please stay safe. Fortunately, riding is one of those activities which is low risk.
Miguel
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:05 am quote
Coronavirus in Italy, today's bulletin June 30:
142 cases, 1,052 recovered and 23 deaths

https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/06/30/news/coronavirus_il_bollettino_di_oggi_30_giugno-260597933/

Slight increase in the epidemic curve in Italy, but with many more buffers: 48,273 versus 27,218. Deaths also increased: yesterday they had been 6. The victims in total are 34,767. The number of discharges tripled, hospitalizations still down. In 12 regions in intensive care no cases of Covid-19.

There are 142 new ones infected with coronavirus today, an increase compared to yesterday when they had been 126. Of these 62 are in Lombardy, equal to 43.6 percent. The total number of cases thus rises to 240,578, according to data from the Ministry of Health. The victims instead show an increase to 23 (4 of which in Lombardy), after 6 yesterday throughout Italy. Nine regions have registered new victims in the last 24 hours: Lombardy, Piedmont, Emilia Romagna, Veneto, Campania, Puglia, Abruzzo, Sicily, Sardinia. In the remaining 11 there were no other deaths. Overall, the victims are now 34,767.

The healed exceed 190 thousand. The increase in the last 24 hours is 1,052 units, which brings the total to 190,248. Intensive care patients are down by 3 today: 93 of them are 42 in Lombardy. In 11 regions and in the autonomous province of Trento there are no more patients in intensive care. There are 1,090 hospitalized with symptoms, 30 fewer than yesterday, 14,380 people in home isolation, 900 fewer, and 15,563 currently positive, 933 fewer than yesterday.

Tampons have been increasing to 48,273 in the past 24 hours. Seven regions without new cases: Marche, Trentino Alto Adige, Puglia, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Abruzzo, Basilicata and Molise.

All plots and maps of the epidemic

In 12 regions, the intensive care unit occupied for Covid-19 scores zero. There are no serious inpatients in Veneto, Marche, Trento, Campania, Puglia, Friuli Venezia Giulia, Abruzzo, Sardinia, Val d'Aosta, Calabria, Molise and Basilicata. Molise is the only region that has not hospitalized even under ordinary conditions: no one in the hospital with coronavirus. While the Province of Trento and Basilicata have only one inpatient each. There are 43 intensive care units in Lombardy, followed by Lazio with 13, Emilia Romagna and Piedmont 12, Sicily 3, the province of Bolzano and Umbria 1 each.

The situation in the regions
Today in Lombardy the number of patients suffering from coronavirus in intensive care has dropped by one to 42; while inpatients fell 24 below 300 (297). Intensive care yesterday remained unchanged at 43, while hospitalizations had dropped by 2 units. 62 new cases were recorded, including 8 following serological tests and 13 'weakly positive', and 4 deaths. In total, 16,644 deaths have occurred since the outbreak.

The braking of the pandemic in Brescia has come in the last 24 hours, with the number of new infections collapsing to 4. Since Monday, the new sick have been 3 among the resident population and one among the RSA guests. Home isolations, on the other hand, dropped to 448, eleven less in 24 hours, while the healed with double negative swabs are 10500 out of 13576 positive ascertained since the start of the pandemic. In 24 hours no new cross, with deaths stopped at 2524.

It is of twenty positive, of which sixteen asymptomatic, and five deaths the balance of the last 24 hours in Emilia-Romagna. The new swabs made are 6,093, thus reaching a total of 495,544. The number of active cases is decreasing which, according to data released by the Region and updated at 12 o'clock, is 1,010 (22 less than yesterday). There are 12 ICU patients, as yesterday, those hospitalized in the other Covid wards are 108 (-3). One person died in the province of Piacenza, two Bologna, one in Ravenna and one in Rimini. Overall, deaths in Emilia-Romagna reached 4,260.

In Tuscany zero deaths, two new positive cases but also no new healing and a rise in hospitalizations (+3 patients in hospital, for a total of 23 people, including 6 in intensive care, stable data). There are therefore 10,250 cases of positivity since the beginning of the emergency while the healed remain 8,817 in total (86 per cent of the total) and 1,104 died. Therefore, 329 people are now positive, including 23 hospitalized and 306 in solitary confinement at home or with mild or asymptomatic symptoms.

"Today we record 5 positive cases and zero deaths". Lazio Health Councilor Alessio D'Amato made it known at the end of the videoconference of the regional task force with the general managers of the local health authorities and hospital companies, university polyclinics and the Bambino Gesù pediatric hospital. D'Amato specifies that 2 of the 5 new cases are in Rome city. In detail: "There are 836 current positive cases. Of which 634 in home isolation, 189 inpatients not in intensive care, 13 in intensive care. On the other hand, 837 patients died and 6,437 people recovered. In total, 8,110 cases were examined" . This was underlined by the bulletin of the Covid-19 Crisis Unit of the Lazio Region.

A new positive on 3,277 swabs made. This is the data that emerges from the daily report of the Crisis Unit of the Campania Region updated at 23:59 yesterday. The report also highlights 4 new healed and one death. In light of these new data, the total of the positives in the region rose to 4,690, that of the swabs to 282,523. 432 have died since the start of the pandemic. There are 4,077 who have recovered and are all "totally healed" compared to the "clinically healed" who are zero.

In Sardinia two new cases of Covid-19 have been diagnosed, both in the province of Sassari, one in particular in Porto Torres, where eight people are in quarantine after having come into contact with a woman with the coronavirus. The number of cases recorded on the island since the beginning of the emergency thus rises to 1,366, according to the latest update of the Regional Crisis Unit. The number of deaths remained stable at 132.

In Calabria to date 93,060 swabs have been carried out. People tested positive for Coronavirus are 1,181 (+1 compared to yesterday), negative ones are 90,638". The Calabria Region has made it known: 97 deaths remain since the beginning of the emergency (data unchanged in the last 32 days).

The doctors died

Meanwhile, the toll of coronavirus deaths in Italy has risen to 171. The names of Paolo Paoluzi, gastroenterologist and endoscopist, retired, and Fiorlorenzo Azzola, doctor and director health care of Rsa.

The Lombardy initiative

And in the region most affected by Lombardy, "All citizens who have had Covid will make all exams and visits with a prescription free of charge, benefiting from a regional exemption pending the Government to introduce it nationally". This was announced by the councilor for Welfare Giulio Gallera illustrating the measures contained in the "health package" approved today by the regional government.

The appeal: Here's where to throw masks and gloves
Throw masks and gloves in the undifferentiated, use the reusable ones as much as possible, do not throw them on the ground to avoid serious damage to the environment. The communication campaign of the Ministry of the Environment focuses on these three points, in collaboration with the Coast Guard, Ispra, Iss, Enea and the Colao commission, presented today at a press conference - the first in the post-Covid presence - by Minister Sergio Costa, in Rome in the headquarters of the General Command of the Coast Guard. "Remember: masks and gloves go undifferentiated. Oh, I do it too, eh!", Says actor Enrico Brignano in the video spot created by the ministry together with the Coast Guard. In addition to this commercial, a social campaign "Alla natura non serve" starts today, with memes and emotional videos from the #buttalibene hastag. The concept starts from one of the symbolic photos of the pandemic: a bird found trapped in a mask, which obviously does not serve animals, just as it does not serve roads, nature and seas.

As you have read, we have organized ourselves and continue to manage, as far as possible, a difficult situation.
Conclusion, the two months of isolation and still the spacing and use of the masks limit most of the damage.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am quote
https://www.ilgiornale.it/news/mondo/virus-suino-che-fa-paura-potrebbe-causare-pandemia-1873981.html

"The scary pig virus in the world: "It could cause a pandemic"

A Chinese study has identified pigs as having a potentially pandemic flu virus, which has already infected humans. Scientists: "The situation must be monitored".

A pandemic in the pandemic. It is the concern of some scientists, who fear the development of a new health emergency, during the fight against the new coronavirus, and the risk of it happening may be hiding around the corner.

In fact, a group of researchers has identified in China a flu virus "with pandemic power", which affects pigs and which could also spread from man to man.

The study, published in the specialized journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, examines a porcine virus, called G4, which joins together a strain found in European and Asian birds, the H1N1 (swine flu) that caused the 2009 pandemic and a North American H1N1 that has avian, human and swine flu virus genes. The new influence, renamed by scientists G4 EA H1N, has not posed a major threat for the moment, as it does not seem to be able to spread among people."

At the moment...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:15 am quote
It's great that we have gone to phase 2 but it looks like masks will soon be mandatory. I have mixed feelings about it. I'm not anti mask and do wear one where needed but think there may be problems around this decision.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/mayor-tory-expected-to-make-mandatory-masks-announcement

On the bright side the free ride people have been getting for parking will be over in a few days. So hopefully the dedicated motorcycle spots will not be filled up with cars. Bikes park for free in Toronto as an FYI.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:50 pm quote
Thoughts?
Is anyone else "seeing" this in their circles? I have friends and family that claim to be concerned about what is going on with Covid. We text, talk on the phone, etc. about how each of us is getting along during this pandemic. In reality, it is not bothering me as much as some of my acquaintances since I am retired. It does drive me a bit crazy that I can't just "get together" with family and friends like we have always done but I'm doing what I think is best. Now the question. Friends and family are telling me that they are "freaked out" by this and following all the guidelines- only shopping every couple of weeks, not attending gatherings etc. then I see on Facebook that they are attending funerals, posing for pictures with groups, going on overnight vacations, planning trips to Disney World, etc. My wife and I are really trying NOT to get this thing. I personally know TWO people that died from it- ages 59 and 61. Healthy, regular people. Are people in denial?

I'm really confused....

Bob
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:04 pm quote
BVBob wrote:
Are people in denial?
I'd say you have it exactly right. And that seems to be leading many to naïve and irrational behavior. Is that driven by ignorance or by fear? I really don't know. Bluntly my primary concern is that me, my wife, and my family are being put at risk by people who seem to be unable to take what are common sense precautions and a modicum of concern for others.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
BVBob wrote:
Are people in denial?
I'd say you have it exactly right. And that seems to be leading many to naïve and irrational behavior. Is that driven by ignorance or by fear? I really don't know. Bluntly my primary concern is that me, my wife, and my family are being put at risk by people who seem to be unable to take what are common sense precautions and a modicum of concern for others.
I'd say you both have it right.

However look at MV as another microcosm , we've had some pretty mixed feelings here. The thing is this is really the first major pandemic in over 100 years so we don't even have any old timers to tell us what the last one was like. The economic devastation being wrought by this is absolutely tragic but we are seeing signs that it really cannot be left to go unchecked. Now we are seeing younger people getting and transmitting this and some getting very ill. The more we learn about the long term effects of getting and recovering from covid-19 the worse things look.

It is terrible that people are suffering from the disease without ever getting it, just it's existence and how it changes everything. The global economy will come back and this will be a memory one day. A memory we hopefully learn from and makes us better equipped when it happens again because it will. Hopefully not for a long time...
Addicted

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:47 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Toronto . . looks like masks will soon be mandatory
In addition to eye protection, include Air Queen . . test results . . in your mask research. These are a thinner material that "crinkles" . . video . . as compared to typical multi-layer KN95's.

Last edited by tortoise on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:54 pm quote
I appreciate the comments. There are alot of confusing signals out there. Our nightly local news shows almost every fricken day a "parade of cars" driving by someplace or someone to celebrate someone's: birthday, retirement, graduation, home coming after SURVIVING Covid, (insert whatever event here) and as the cars go by, the celebrants go up to each car and hug the folks in it. WTF? What's the purpose of the drive-by? Just have regular parties if that's the case and don't inform the media. It happens here every single day. Some restaurants are packed to the eyeballs while others right next door have a few cars....why? one is breaking the rules and the other is following the rules... too many mixed signals. Do what's right for you and your family is the right way of thinking. Will we really die if we don't go to a bar for a drink? Just for the time being can't we have that drink at home? Same with dinner....this won't last forever...I hope!

Bob
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:03 pm quote
Looks like now the capitalists are piling on to this commie snowflake mask conspiracy:

"Wearing masks could prevent a 5% loss in GDP, Goldman Sachs says."

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/30/wearing-masks-could-prevent-a-5-loss-in-gdp-goldman-sachs-says/

(And I can phrase that non-politically if the tongue in cheek irony sits wrong.)
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:44 pm quote
It is all very confusing... particularly when regulations are published which contradict known infection control practices for fully airborne infection risks such as TB.

Wearing masks in public is an undeniably positive step, particularly where social distancing is difficult to control - e.g. indoors or in mass transport situations. This should be encouraged at all such times to protect those around us from our germs.

If you want to protect yourself from others, you need more effective N95 respirator masks, no facial hair, etc. This is essential for all personnel working in healthcare environments, is advisable for people engaging with large numbers of customers in stores, or high-risk persons, but is unnecessary and over the top for general public use.

In open air, the volume dilution factor is massive, so the risk of infection is reduced to infinitesimal. Walking in the park, on a beach is just such a situation. Social distancing in open air situations reduces this infection risk even further, so why are beaches and parks closed down? Is this to keep people home and inside? What about the social and mental effects of continuing 'house arrest' for long periods of time? We have seen a dramatic increase in spousal assaults in South Africa since lock down.

'Cabin fever' claustrophobia is a reality during these times and getting out into the fresh air becomes essential to mental health. Just take a mask with you for when you move into situations where a mask is needed in addition to social distancing. Our Vespa riders group has been meeting socially over the past weeks - always in open air situations, eating take-out food and coffee while maintaining social distancing. We have even noticed that cars are parking in alternate bays in an unexpected social distancing effect.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:41 pm quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Social distancing in open air situations reduces this infection risk even further, so why are beaches and parks closed down?
I can partially answer that. I live in a beach community on the Pacific Ocean. The Pacific along the western US coast is relatively cold because the Ocean currents circulate the water clockwise so it comes from the Arctic. Typical water temps are 55-63 degrees F/14-17 degrees C. Most days are in the 70s F/low 20s C. By contrast, Silicon Valley is 30 miles away and the temps are typically 80-100 degrees F/27-37 degrees C. People flock to the beach to escape the heat. I don't know exactly why but Silicon Valley is a Covid hotspot while my county is not.

My county closed the beaches to discourage tourists because they were not practicing good behavior on the beach. The county was trying to protect the locals. That was the theory anyway. This week the county gave up policing the closed beach policy, it was fruitless, and the beaches have opened. I have no idea what's going to happen but I suspect Covid will spread.

Miguel
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 pm quote
The global economy will return but it will not be as before and it will not be as you thought it would have been ...
This time people will not forget, here too things have changed; the environment in which we live has changed and has more memory than 100 years ago.
The real problem are two, the young people of today do not know what sacrifice is until it is too late to have a lesson and the of unwillingness to make a real change in the ways of living.
Otherwise there will be a next time, there is always a return ... we can prevent this time, learn and develop flexible development and behavior models. And here we go on slippery ground ... the moderators will forgive me but I will stop.
Ossessionato
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
My county closed the beaches to discourage tourists because they were not practicing good behavior on the beach. The county was trying to protect the locals. That was the theory anyway. This week the county gave up policing the closed beach policy, it was fruitless, and the beaches have opened. I have no idea what's going to happen but I suspect Covid will spread.

Miguel
Your problem is that without a severe initial lockdown, the virus has not decreased its viral load and remains very dangerous and highly contagious; the isolation does not serve to eliminate the virus, it does it only in part but in addition it decreases its aggressiveness ... at the price of many deaths certainly but then we must close ourselves in containment areas and I am also saying entire nations or states.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:37 pm quote
New local lockdown enforced
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53229371
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:23 pm quote
South Africa has now overtaken both France and Germany in the number of COVID-19 cases per 1M population.

What is different is that our death rate is only 10% of France and less than half of Germany.
Early days - first spike still to come?
Local conditions a mitigating factor?

We will see over time.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:17 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
South Africa has now overtaken both France and Germany in the number of COVID-19 cases per 1M population.

What is different is that our death rate is only 10% of France and less than half of Germany.

We will see over time.
Agree there are probably many variables that come into play. I think that anyone thinks there is one simple answer is just fooling themselves.

Just a few things that I think could have an effect on who gets it and who dies from it could be: weather, common illnesses to an area, diet, age, genetics and what measures one has taken to avoid either catching it or avoid passing it on. Just to name what come to my mind(what's left of it at 70!).
Thunder Thief
2010 GTS 300 Super & 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Location: in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia... on the trail of the lonesome pine..."
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:19 am quote
kshansen wrote:
Fudmucker wrote:

We will see over time.
Agree there are probably many variables that come into play. I think that anyone thinks there is one simple answer is just fooling themselves.

Just a few things that I think could have an effect on who gets it and who dies from it could be: weather, common illnesses to an area, diet, age, genetics and what measures one has taken to avoid either catching it or avoid passing it on. Just to name what come to my mind(what's left of it at 70!).
Things they know play a role: obesity, diabetes, asthma or any other lung disease, smoking, vaping, any other irritants to the lungs such as chemicals or particles from occupational exposure, activity level, age, and even blood type.

Another thing I thought about which I came across somewhere on the web, is how we have no idea what will happen to those who contracted covid-19. We see with other viruses, they lay dormant in nerve cells, such as herpes, varicella-zoster, human papilloma, epstein-barr for example, can reoccur. I for one have had shingles, the second coming of the varicella-zoster virus. Even those who end up sick with covid-119, survive, will have life long health issues. Two of my classmates had covid in February and one of them is still seeking medical care for ongoing GI issues related to the viral infection. She is early 40s, healthy, fit, with three kids.

I think we will be dealing with Covid active infections for years.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:36 am quote
Just watched 2 documentaries on different Carnival cruise line ships and the outbreaks. Heartbreaking and the mistakes made unforgivable. Not sure the industry will ever recover from this but people that love cruising love cruising so it just might... memories can be short.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:44 am quote
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 pm quote
OK so I'm watching a LOT of documentaries while I work from home. This picture is from Australia during the Spanish Flu pandemic. It seems now is not the first time in history wearing a mask has been an issue.

A950DF48-F483-45DE-8AD0-115437AA8EC1.jpeg

Hooked
Marco Polo [MP3-400] + Syd [Suzuki V-Strom 650]
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:44 pm quote
I feel a bit of a fraud posting in this thread...

For us life has returned to as close to normal as is possible in the current situation. We have had a blip of cases in the last week or so due to people returning to New Zealand and being detected in isolation and being transferred to quarantine. Yes, it hasn't gone as smoothly as the 'Team of 5 million' would have wanted, but that is the reality when you are dealing with people and some of those people are seeking compassionate exemptions to their isolation/quarantine. What is now happening seems to be better and more in line with what the Team expects. Of course there are those who want things moved along faster for many reasons.

Yes, we have an unfair advantage over many other countries, you'll be able to think of those that have a similar unfair advantage. We have no borders with other countries and it's one of the few times I have been thankful that we live on a couple of islands at the bottom of the South Pacific ocean.

Possibly another advantage is our size - a population of 5 million, a relatively cohesive population who when told to "Stay Home And Save Lives" did so. It made sense to do so, our health system won't have coped with a sudden influx of patients requiring intensive care treatment. I am sure there were those who took little notice of what was said and continued to do their own thing - those types are always with us. Some of them had "discussions with the local constabulary". But, the vast majority followed the rules, the guidelines, the suggestions which means we've now able to do things we would normally expect to do...

One thing which we could do even in level 4 [the most restrictive lockdown level] was go outside for fresh air and exercise. It was amazing to see the number of families out with the kids on their bikes and scooters and even mum and dad on theirs. I continued to go for my thrice weekly walk although the ability to stop and use the public convenience in a local park was not available - they were locked during the period of lockdown - caused a little anxiousness a couple of times, especially if there were a number of people using the park area for exercise as the trees and bushes didn't quite offer enough 'privacy'.

Which brings my rather rambling story to the reason I started - to share a photo from this morning's walk. It was an almost blue dome day after a chilly start [was 3°C at 8am when I went out to the gate for the morning paper - that's cold for us Aucklanders] and my walk took me over towards Kingsland and I stopped on the pedestrian overbridge at Kingsland Station to photograph the view to the west. The hill in the centre of the photo is Mount Albert / Owairaka, an extinct volcanic cone, and the hills in the far distance on the right are the Waitakere Ranges, also a chain of extinct volcanic cones. Sorry no scooters in the photo, no trains either... But it does show life that has returned to a normality, a normality that will return to you one day. Meanwhile, we all keep working towards that 'normality' and supporting each other and "Being kind" to one another...

Thoughts with you all,
Kia Kaha
[Stand strong]

KingslandStation-03Jul20 copy.jpg

Ossessionato
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 pm quote
What a neat and clean place, it almost seems to be in Heaven.
Hooked
S150, Cosa LX200, DL1000V
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:54 pm quote
Big respect to the NZ govt and population how they handled it. Elsewhere, the continuing difficulties with COVID do seem to correlate with inept government and too many opposing factions in the population. It's sad they've been completely outsmarted by a virus...
Keep staying as safe as you can people.
Ossessionato
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:10 pm quote
In Italy i would like a female premier like the New Zealand one, all my admiration and esteem.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 pm quote
Attila wrote:
In Italy i would like a female premier like the New Zealand one, all my admiration and esteem.
+1
Hooked
S150, Cosa LX200, DL1000V
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:21 am quote
Re female leaders, Germany and South Korea have also so far had pretty joined-up responses to the COVID situation. Perhaps the lack of distraction with macho posturing helps?
Plus Merkel understands science (PhD in Quantum Chemistry).

Last edited by VesperGeezer on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:35 am quote
VesperGeezer wrote:
Re female leaders, Germany and South Korea have so far had pretty joined-up responses to the COVID situation. Perhaps the lack of distraction with macho posturing helps?
Plus Merkel understands science (PhD in Quantum Chemistry).
We had a fairly positive public response when Aunty Jacinda asked us all rather nicely to stay home for a bit.
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:03 am quote
Aotearoa
Stuck in a large, beautiful, uncrowded, south pacific, covid free island nation ..

sounds awful
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:29 am quote
fleece wrote:
Stuck in a large, beautiful, uncrowded, south pacific, covid free island nation ..

sounds awful
Yeah but try and get a good poutine and see what happens.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:50 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
fleece wrote:

sounds awful
Yeah but try and get a good poutine and see what happens.
That may be a part of the solution to this problem! Clog up the arteries good and the virus can't get through to cause a problem!

Now if Canada would just open the border I could make a run up there for a "treatment"!
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:57 am quote
froggieposition wrote:
I for one have had shingles, the second coming of the varicella-zoster virus.
I too was diagnosed with shingles many years back.

So far as far as I know have not had the covid 19 virus. but if it hits me at some point I'm hoping it has the same effect as the shingles.

I think I'm about the only person to have had shingles that felt it was not a big deal. About the only thing I recall was the rash that was a little itchy! At times I feel almost embarrassed to say I had shingles as I have been told how bad it is for so many.
Thunder Thief
2010 GTS 300 Super & 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Location: in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia... on the trail of the lonesome pine..."
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:11 pm quote
kshansen wrote:
froggieposition wrote:
I for one have had shingles, the second coming of the varicella-zoster virus.
I too was diagnosed with shingles many years back.

So far as far as I know have not had the covid 19 virus. but if it hits me at some point I'm hoping it has the same effect as the shingles.

I think I'm about the only person to have had shingles that felt it was not a big deal. About the only thing I recall was the rash that was a little itchy! At times I feel almost embarrassed to say I had shingles as I have been told how bad it is for so many.
I had them at 32 years old Mine was on lower back on my left side and it felt like a jelly fish sting for me but lasting several weeks. When my uncle had shingles, they took over half of his head, literal line right down the middle, forehead, hair, eye, nose... his lasted a long long time. I wouldn’t wish it on my enemy... well now I think about it, I might hmmm
Ossessionato
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:10 pm quote
froggieposition wrote:
When my uncle had shingles, they took over half of his head, literal line right down the middle, forehead, hair, eye, nose... his lasted a long long time. I wouldn’t wish it on my enemy... well now I think about it, I might hmmm
At 50 i also had fire of Sant Antonio and it was terrible!
Cured in 7 days with antibiotic sets to be taken in sequence as the birth control pill .... ouch ... I still remember it.
Molto Verboso
Medley 150
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 pm quote
During our more than 3 months of lockdown, gamblers went cold turkey or went on line.
As restrictions gradually ease, last week the state saw pubs/casinos reopen their gaming rooms, but its now not more than 1 person per 2 sq metres, previously 1 person per 4 sq metres. Australia has about 200,000 poker machines with $15 billion fed into them per year.
When machines were switched off in March because of the coronavirus lockdown, gamblers were calling the gambling helpline of a local charity in the mistaken belief they would be assisted in creating on line gambling accounts.
The reopening of gaming rooms is a missed opportunity to tackle problem gambling by having reduced hours and limiting bets to $1. Later this year machines will be allowed to accept notes with a cap of $100.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:07 pm quote
Hi Marcus

My SIL lives in Palmerston North and I had the opportunity to visit in 2000. As a biker, I would be in Heaven in NZ with its gentle winding roads in good condition. I have only visited North Island, but believe that South Island is better for the dirt-bikers.

I think your success in this comes from community compliance - a culture from decades of effective law enforcement. South Africa is somewhat less compliant - some communities are almost defiant of governance. We all have 'rights' and no 'responsibilities'. To many, our road speed limits are a vague suggestion of what speed may be appropriate if you are not in a hurry.

(One does on occasion come into contact with the law enforcement officers and a roadside cash donation of the price of a bucket of KFC plus 2 litre Coke will usually persuade them to apply a verbal warning instead of a monetary fine... hence the compliance shortfall.)
Ossessionato
Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:58 am quote
Sledge wrote:
...cold turkey...
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:21 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
OK so I'm watching a LOT of documentaries while I work from home. This picture is from Australia during the Spanish Flu pandemic. It seems now is not the first time in history wearing a mask has been an issue.
Interesting reading:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53188847

Coronavirus: Japan's mysteriously low virus death rate

"Japanese people began wearing face masks more than 100 years ago during the 1919 flu pandemic and they've never really stopped.
If you get a cough or a cold here it is expected, that you will don a mask to protect those around you.

Japan's track and trace system also goes back to the 1950s when it battled a wave of tuberculosis.
The government set up a nationwide network of public health centres to identify new infections and report them to the health ministry.
If community transmission is suspected, a specialist team is dispatched to track the infections, relying on meticulous human contact tracing and isolation.

"How do you reduce contact between infected and uninfected people...?
You need a certain kind of response from the public, which I don't think is going to be so easily replicated in other countries," adds Prof Fukuda.
Japan asked people to take care, stay away from crowded places, wear masks and wash their hands - and by and large, that is exactly what most people have done."

BBCcorona30Jun.png

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:15 am quote
We seem to keep doing better. Less than 150 new cases daily on average for a while now for Ontario. Still not out of the woods but getting there. Population is about 14.5 million in Ontario with about 20,000 tests done daily.

Some numbers elsewhere are mind boggling and some of these places are doing little to try and stop the virus.

Just reading about human challenge trials and the ethics of it. At my age now? No thank you but a younger me would consider volunteering for it. It's a tough ethical question and it needs to be answered soon as vaccine candidates enter the next phase.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/hundreds-of-canadians-willing-to-be-infected-with-coronavirus-to-speed-vaccine-research-1.4942858
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...555657Next
[ Time: 0.6674s ][ Queries: 27 (0.2340s) ][ Debug on ]