[NSR] Corona Virus.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...6263646566Next
Author Message
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9329
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:57 am quote
So sorry for your loss, Froggie. It's hard losing a parent, doubly so in this damned pandemic.

The mental health issue has been brutal, but what do you do? I feel it's cast a bit of a pall on our household, but nothing compared to those who've had to be more isolated, not working, etc, etc. I think most of us feel like we're dragging our feet through clay trying to find the exit....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7601
Location: Downtown Toronto
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:19 am quote
We're at the cottage we stay at every September in the Northern Bruce Peninsula and it's right next to one of the tour boat operators. Usually by now it starts to quiet down but the boats are running on a full schedule. We can hear the pre boarding announcement and it's pretty long. Basically going over how the Canadian government has made masks mandatory and they must be worn at all times while on board and a bunch of other covid related issues about what parks Canada is doing to minimize risks. I've spoken to a few locals and Tobermory has not had a single case yet.

16BB49FF-DBA9-44D8-92B4-F014D467CADD.jpeg

Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:01 am quote
Here the British and French fear for a big second wave that is sweeping their countries, so they say in the news.
But even here in Italy it is not happy ... many people swab and so many asymptomatic cases come to light, bad news.
PS: Harbinger, it's time to do some maintenance on the wooden parapect ...
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 964
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Here the British and French fear for a big second wave that is sweeping their countries, so they say in the news.
But even here in Italy it is not happy ... many people swab and so many asymptomatic cases come to light, bad news.
PS: Harbinger, it's time to do some maintenance on the wooden parapect ...
The asymptomatic cases are a big concern !
Due to testing capacity constraints in South Africa you can only get a test if you are symptomatic or have had direct contact with a positive case.
We are moving to start plasma antibody testing to assess how many are asymptomatic and hopefully now immune.

What wood is that handrail, Harbinger?
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:10 am quote
... more than 200,000 deaths in the USA ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7601
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:50 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Attila wrote:
Here the British and French fear for a big second wave that is sweeping their countries, so they say in the news.
But even here in Italy it is not happy ... many people swab and so many asymptomatic cases come to light, bad news.
PS: Harbinger, it's time to do some maintenance on the wooden parapect ...
The asymptomatic cases are a big concern !
Due to testing capacity constraints in South Africa you can only get a test if you are symptomatic or have had direct contact with a positive case.
We are moving to start plasma antibody testing to assess how many are asymptomatic and hopefully now immune.

What wood is that handrail, Harbinger?
No clue on the wood. We rent the same 3 cottages every year. We thought about buying but this is less hassle and we get to see 3 different parts of the province from the very south to to the northern tip. 2 on Lake Erie and one on Lake Huron. Covid related we are lucky we rent them in the winter as getting a cottage this summer is near impossible and very expensive as they jacked up the prices. We got the old rates.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 6356
Location: NWAOK
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:49 am quote
Attila wrote:
... more than 200,000 deaths in the USA ...
This...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/redstate-covid-troll-streiff-is-actually-bill-crews-and-he-actually-works-for-dr-anthony-fauci



Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:36 am
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9329
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:03 am quote
kshansen wrote:
If we don't watch it they are going to force the USA to switch completely to the Metric system.
OMG, the world would really be ending. Conspiracy theories are really slippery stuff...arguing against them seems to support their veracity.....

Our governor here just extended the mask mandate another 6 weeks.....and our legislature responded by calling it illegal. What a shit show. Was in the hardware store next door yesterday and watched several people saunter in unmasked without a concern in the world.

Meanwhile our numbers continue to spike....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7601
Location: Downtown Toronto
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:44 pm quote
OK, totally OT but those of us following this thread could use a little levity. So I present dramatic Chipmunk from the cottage we stay at in Tobermory.

https://youtu.be/CdoN_cPOmLg

Of course also why we come up here.

https://youtu.be/wW7ekZpVsqM



Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:53 pm
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?



Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:07 am
This post was not quite
What we were hoping to see
Try again, perhaps?
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 21608
Location: Nashville, Indiana
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 am quote
Your friendly neighborhood moderator here with a reminder. No politics kids.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7601
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:01 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Your friendly neighborhood moderator here with a reminder. No politics kids.
No issue with the moderation here, but TBH it's surprising how few posts have required it considering this is such a politicaly charges subject in some ways. The chipmunk is lucky with its biggest problem figuring out how many peanuts it can grab before competition shows up.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 21608
Location: Nashville, Indiana
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:28 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:
Your friendly neighborhood moderator here with a reminder. No politics kids.
No issue with the moderation here, but TBH it's surprising how few posts have required it considering this is such a politicaly charges subject in some ways. The chipmunk is lucky with its biggest problem figuring out how many peanuts it can grab before competition shows up.
Yeah, overall it has been pretty mild. Keep up the good work people.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1344
Location: Central New York
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:44 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
OK, totally OT but those of us following this thread could use a little levity. So I present dramatic Chipmunk from the cottage we stay at in Tobermory.
Tobermory? Just asking is there a place near there where you can spend a night in an authentic Indian Teepee. Seems I recall it was somewhere in that area. There was suppose to be a sidecar rally there many years back but it got cancelled for some reason, might have been due to lack of people signed up.

Then again I might be misremembering it!
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7601
Location: Downtown Toronto
Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:33 am quote
kshansen wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
OK, totally OT but those of us following this thread could use a little levity. So I present dramatic Chipmunk from the cottage we stay at in Tobermory.
Tobermory? Just asking is there a place near there where you can spend a night in an authentic Indian Teepee. Seems I recall it was somewhere in that area. There was suppose to be a sidecar rally there many years back but it got cancelled for some reason, might have been due to lack of people signed up.

Then again I might be misremembering it!
Wouldn't surprise me if a sidecar rally did not get enough participants. Tobermory is a long throw from pretty much anywhere and weather can get nasty real fast. Teepee is probably over on Manitoulin Island which you get to by Ferry. The M.S Chi-Cheemaun actually passes right by our cottage and docks just down the road. We can hear the motorcycles line up in the morning as they are FIFO.

IMG_0804.jpeg

Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:15 am quote
Off the coast of Sicily there are the "quarantine ships" where migrants arriving fleeing Africa are placed.
Those are the only ships you see on the news in Italy.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6656
Location: New Zealand
Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:59 pm quote
Speaking of boats
Attila wrote:
Off the coast of Sicily there are the "quarantine ships" where migrants arriving fleeing Africa are placed.
Those are the only ships you see on the news in Italy.
A lot of yachties in the South Pacific head for NZ for hurricane cyclone season (apparently there aren't enough sheltered berths in the Islands). This year we said no, because of Covid. Here's the first lot that have been caught trying to sneak in, three Germans...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12368207
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 964
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 am quote
Rather heavy-handed treatment of three people who tested COVID negative after being alone on a yacht for two months and 18 days. They arrived in NZ waters to find their application for immigration exemption on humanitarian grounds to effect repairs to the boat had been denied. They will now be deported and have their yacht seized...?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6656
Location: New Zealand
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:47 pm quote
Itís to stop every person with a boat and all their friends setting sail for NZ.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 38979
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:16 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Itís to stop every person with a boat and all their friends setting sail for NZ.
I agree it's harsh - but I can see why it has to be.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 315
Location: Irving, TX
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:03 am quote
Fudmucker wrote:
Rather heavy-handed treatment of three people who tested COVID negative after being alone on a yacht for two months and 18 days. They arrived in NZ waters to find their application for immigration exemption on humanitarian grounds to effect repairs to the boat had been denied. They will now be deported and have their yacht seized...?
From the article:
Quote:
Elms said the crew had requested an exemption to the Covid-19 border restrictions but chose to travel before getting approval.

"The request for a border exception was refused and they chose to continue to sail to Opua regardless.None of the crew made any request for an immigration border exception for themselves."
So they asked to be let in, but didn't wait for an answer, and when they arrived and weren't let in, they didn't ask for an exception. Sounds to me like they knew they f'd up and have accepted responsibility for their actions.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 964
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:48 am quote
I guess they should just have sailed back 4000kms instead...

They did ask for an exception to undertake essential repairs.
Perhaps they felt they wouldn't make it.
Hooked
2017 Piaggio BV350
Joined: 21 Jun 2016
Posts: 315
Location: Irving, TX
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:05 am quote
They shouldn't have sailed until they had approval.

They took a chance that they'd be approved, and it didn't pay off.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 964
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 pm quote
I guess it is just the 'ubuntu' in me that makes me view it in that light...

"U∑bun∑tu
n.
A philosophical doctrine or approach to life that emphasizes social unity and generosity of spirit." from encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/

or

"Ubuntu is a concept which is inextricably linked to the values of and which places a high premium on dignity, compassion, humaneness and respect for the humanity of another... " Judge Colin Lamont

PS: Search "Ubuntu (philosophy)" as it is also the name of an open source software application.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6656
Location: New Zealand
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:47 am quote
The crew have been jailed until their flight out on Thursday.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 964
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:54 pm quote
I was watching an episode of Border Patrol last night.
(Documentary on the work of NZ Customs)

A man returned from a trip to Africa.
He declared that he had souvenirs from his trip.
One item was a beautiful artwork - a delicately painted landscape and animals on a dry, lacquered, empty ostrich egg.

NZ Customs fined him $200 because he had not declared on his form that he was importing ostrich eggs.

I shall remain silent on this subject from now on...
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:20 am quote
jimc wrote:
znomit wrote:
Itís to stop every person with a boat and all their friends setting sail for NZ.
I agree it's harsh - but I can see why it has to be.
The pandemic leads to social and political side effects also on the peoples who suffer it, now ... I am not saying this to argue but this unpleasant effect must be considered.
I point out that Italy is not very large in terms of habitable surface, we are 50 million inhabitants and we are tight ... resources are limited, in order to resist the first impact of Covid we have burned most of the economic reserves.
How can we expect us to take the crisis of the African peoples on our shoulders? We are exhausted ... this thing is leading to forms of right-wing political extremism (not only in Italy), and here I stop that then the speech becomes political and not acceptable in this forum.
Excuse me the moderators but even if borderline I had to say.
Thunder Thief
2010 GTS 300 Super & 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 2343
Location: in the blue ridge mountains of Virginia... on the trail of the lonesome pine..."
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:19 pm quote
I watched my father's ashes spread yesterday... over zoom... over a VERY bad pixilated garbled connection.

Everything about 2020 has been a complete nightmare. No words to express what I feel.

That is all.

Wear the F-in masks people.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6656
Location: New Zealand
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:09 pm quote
Condolences again Froggie.

Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:03 am quote
Condolences Froggie and also to the whole family.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7601
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:07 am quote
It's tough Froggie, 2020 is a year we will all want to forget, I feel for you . A good friend of mine just had to put his mother in hospice. I feel for you and everyone that has lost a loved one during this. Too many parents have been lost and for some unknown reason many furry family members as well.
Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)
Joined: 08 Nov 2014
Posts: 1344
Location: Central New York
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 am quote
Froggy, so sorry to here about your loss.
froggieposition wrote:
Wear the F-in masks people.
Why the heck that is such a problem for some people?

I just had to unfollow a group on F-book yesterday because someone went off on a rant about the fact a parts supplier this guy dealt with had the nerve to inclose a couple masks free of charge in with his parts order! He called them among other four letter words Communist!

It would not have been bad it it was just one person but at least a half dozen joined in and agreed with this guy. I will try to avoid stating all my opinions on the subject but just could not stay in a group like that and offer help to people of that attitude!

I'm sure I mentioned it before but wife lost an ex-father-in-law in his 90's to this Covid.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Joined: 13 Sep 2012
Posts: 9329
Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:12 am quote
So sorry, Froggie. It's hard enough spreading your dad's ashes, worse having to watch it virtually, and the pixelation is salt in the wound. Sigh. What a year.

Hang in there.


kshansen: FFS, used to be a commie under every rock back in the day. Now they're doing masks. But, you know, a wild imagination has no bounds. Back in the day, a noted anticommunist organization had a booklet: "Communism, Hypnotism and the Beatles." Seems the Reds were in cahoots with the Fab Four, and their hypnotic rhythms made one more susceptible to their propaganda. And see, it's working! Just 50 years late!
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 am quote
Here if there is anyone who knows something about communism that is me, my grandfather was a communist (since 1921) and my father was a communist, i was a socialist and all we of them registered.
Now i'm for the pizza margherita party and i hope that Covid (to stay on the topic, which probably rightly my comment will be deleted) does not take away this healthy habit.

Upgrade in Italy: http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/homeNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Joined: 21 May 2017
Posts: 7601
Location: Downtown Toronto
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:54 am quote
Attila wrote:
Here if there is anyone who knows something about communism that is me, my grandfather was a communist (since 1921) and my father was a communist, i was a socialist and all we of them registered.
Now i'm for the pizza margherita party and i hope that Covid (to stay on the topic, which probably rightly my comment will be deleted) does not take away this healthy habit.

Upgrade in Italy: http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/homeNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english
Somehow I think your statement is fine when it comes to the no politics rule here. You're just stating the history of your family and are not pushing any political agenda, ideology or bias. That is when it gets ugly.
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 4142
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:41 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Attila wrote:
Here if there is anyone who knows something about communism that is me, my grandfather was a communist (since 1921) and my father was a communist, i was a socialist and all we of them registered.
Now i'm for the pizza margherita party and i hope that Covid (to stay on the topic, which probably rightly my comment will be deleted) does not take away this healthy habit.

Upgrade in Italy: http://www.salute.gov.it/portale/nuovocoronavirus/homeNuovoCoronavirus.jsp?lingua=english
Somehow I think your statement is fine when it comes to the no politics rule here. You're just stating the history of your family and are not pushing any political agenda, ideology or bias. That is when it gets ugly.
I call it self-criticism, in times of pandemic it is useful to do a little "outing" ... it is a bit like a therapy since the virus makes the mind falter under the weight of the drama we are experiencing.
Maybe (surely) after this pandemic many will need psychological treatment (I'll get in line), we always talk about physical consequences and so little about inner suffering.
I have not slept well for months and I have continuous nervous problems (tremors), I did some checks in the hospital but the diagnosis was always the same ... nervous stress syndrome.
And there are many like me, so I found out.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 4590
Location: Santa Cruz California
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:46 pm quote
Trump has Covid
Trump, First Lady and others in White House have Covid. This changes everything. Stay calm and carry on.

Miguel
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...6263646566Next
[ Time: 0.2054s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0771s) ][ Debug on ]