GT200 10s throttle to start
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
2006 Granturismo
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:31 pm quote
It's been a while since my last post here, my 2006 GT200 is my daily rider and just got a fresh set of tires which are much nicer in the damp fog we often wake up to in San Francisco.

But starting up has been a problem recently. I usually have to give a touch of throttle when I start the bike up but that's just a quirk of being almost 15 years old I guess. The last two weeks has been REALLY rough though, and I have to really give it 10-15 seconds of throttle before the bike will start and keep running on its own. The starter sounds lively and no different than it always has, just needs a bunch of throttle to get going, even when starting up after only a few hours of being parked. Runs great once it's going, no stalling or hesitation.

I read the typical help threads here for starting rough. I thought maybe I had some gas in the evap system so I disconnected that... no dice. Then I thought it might be a spark plug issue but from what I can tell it's fine (only three years old, photo here).

Not sure if this is a red herring: I'm not always super diligent about putting the battery tender on, especially during the summer. But this all started a few weeks ago when it was colder (40s at night - I know) and I had to start giving it a bit more throttle when starting up. I've been putting it on the charger every night now but it doesn't seem like startup has gotten any better, if anything it's a little bit worse each day.

What are my other options here for investigation? I was *just* in the shop for new tires so I'd hate to go back for a mystery issue.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:09 pm quote
First thing to do is to load test the battery. *If* it's OK then clean the carb, change the spark plug (they're cheap) and double check the plug cap connection is still OK (the wire spring that contacts the plug top corrodes). If you still have problems, check the valve clearances.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:31 pm quote
So the bike starts OK just won't idle on its own until it has been running for 10 - 15 secs? I'd call that just warming up.
But you are saying it didn't used to do this?

We tend to get spoilt by all the FI and key less start stuff which new vehicles have had for the last while. Before. Every vehicle had its own peculiarity

Chainsaws are much more fun to start
Enthusiast
2006 Granturismo
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:33 am quote
Quote:
But you are saying it didn't used to do this?
Nope, never been this much trouble to start before.

Another friend suggested cleaning the carb as well. I did that a couple years ago and I only remember how much of a pain it was to remove. Will try that first.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:17 pm quote
I'd bung some fuel system cleaner in the tank first. Easier.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1429s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0270s) ][ Debug on ]