What's this noise?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
GTS 300
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:39 pm quote
Hello friends,

Just got a new GTS Supertech.
Wonderful scooter.
50 miles in, it started making a noise, seemingly coming from the variator cover area.
Can be heard at idle with full face helmet on.
Contacting dealer on Tuesday.
But wanted to see if any of you folks have an idea of what it is and if I shouldn't ride it until dealer sees it.
Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44e3HMwTn8aYzBZVHMtYlhjc0dESHJIT25BMzdsNUxUZFhN/view?usp=sharing
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:58 pm quote
Normal you are good to go.
GTS 300
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:48 pm quote
Thanks for the feedback.
I'll keep an eye (ear) on it for now and hope nothing further develops.
My previous scooter, a 300GTS Super didn't make noises like this at all.
If this turns out to be something benign that some bikes have and others don't, great. Still, it's kind of annoying.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:12 pm quote
I had a sound like that on my 250 GTS years ago. It disappeared when I abandoned the J. Costa variator I had and went back to the OEM variator and Dr. Pulley sliders.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:32 am quote
Re: What's this noise?
zoan wrote:
Hello friends,

Wonderful scooter.
50 miles in, it started making a noise, seemingly coming from the variator cover area.
But wanted to see if any of you folks have an idea of what it is and if I shouldn't ride it until dealer sees it.
Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B44e3HMwTn8aYzBZVHMtYlhjc0dESHJIT25BMzdsNUxUZFhN/view?usp=sharing
Tell motorcyclists it has a dry clutch. You could add "It is Italian"

So "It is Italian and has a dry clutch"
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:24 am quote
waspmike wrote:
...dry clutch is better than dry petrol tank ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:53 am quote
When replacing the roller weights it is a good idea to gently file them so they don't get stuck. It sounds like you've got one or two weights occasionally being stuck to the variator plates.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 am quote
zoan wrote:
Hello friends,

Wonderful scooter.
Thanks.

That noise can be the belt support pulley bearing. The belt is not always in contact with the pulley so it can be intermittent. If it continues, take it to your dealer for investigation. Sometimes they are just a little noisy when new and it just goes away. Sometimes, (very rarely) they come out the factory with no grease or very little and fail.
GTS 300
Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:46 pm quote
Thanks for all the responses!

I sent the video to the dealer and they want to pick up the scooter and have a look at it.
I'd say that's pretty responsive service.

Funny about the dry clutch. It does sound a lot like my old Ducati 748.
Enthusiast
2009 GTS 250 "Noa"
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:48 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
When replacing the roller weights it is a good idea to gently file them so they don't get stuck. It sounds like you've got one or two weights occasionally being stuck to the variator plates.
I have to file down my new roller weights?
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:44 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
There is one of the member here who polishes the insides of the variator as well.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:12 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
There is one of the member here who polishes the insides of the variator as well.
Or just got a brand new OEM variator and rollers.
GTS 300 Supertech
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:34 pm quote
I have the exact same "ringing" "pinging" high frequency sound that's in your video. It only turned up after like 800km (500miles).

It's apparent only when I give it a little throttle. Not during idle.

Did the dealer fix it for you?
GTS 300
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:12 pm quote
Dealer picked it up yesterday.
I’ll report back after I hear from them.
GTS 300 Supertech
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:13 pm quote
zoan wrote:
Dealer picked it up yesterday.
I’ll report back after I hear from them.
Thanks mate, looking forward to your report. the ringing kind of gets to me. I'm fine with the usual clattering of Piaggio engines; used to own a 2003 GT200.
Ossessionato
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:19 am quote
Any noise is nearly always the CVT transmission. They rattle, clack, whine etc etc. Piaggio engines themselves are normally very quiet indeed even with high mileages on them.

Main problem causing rollers to stick is just lack of maintenance. Dirt and dust builds up in the variator. Strongly advise not to start filing the rollers. Not required.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:42 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
Any noise is nearly always the CVT transmission. They rattle, clack, whine etc etc. Piaggio engines themselves are normally very quiet indeed even with high mileages on them.

Main problem causing rollers to stick is just lack of maintenance. Dirt and dust builds up in the variator. Strongly advise not to start filing the rollers. Not required.
In the Vespa the noise is greater than in many japanese scooters that also use additional carter covers sometimes with soundproofing material inside.
GTS 300
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm quote
Spoke to dealer today.
They are replacing the rollers under warranty.
They didn't feel there was anything mechanically wrong of significance.
But since they were annoyingly noisy, they dealer went ahead and replaced them.
I'll pick up scooter tomorrow and I'll let you all know how it turned out.
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:03 am quote
Attila wrote:
Stromrider wrote:

In the Vespa the noise is greater than in many japanese scooters that also use additional carter covers sometimes with soundproofing material inside.
Even with the extra insulation in the transmission covers, CVT transmissions are noisey. Listen to all the Burgmans with CVT (not the 650 as that uses E-CVT). The Kymco's, the Yamahas and Kawasakis all are noisy. I don' think Piaggio engines are any noisier Attila. You can always hear the rollers jangling around.
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
Attila wrote:
Stromrider wrote:

Even with the extra insulation in the transmission covers, CVT transmissions are noisey. Listen to all the Burgmans with CVT (not the 650 as that uses E-CVT). The Kymco's, the Yamahas and Kawasakis all are noisy. I don' think Piaggio engines are any noisier Attila. You can always hear the rollers jangling around.
Yes, but imagine without the extra covers how much noise they would make, i say this not to denigrate Piaggio products ... no really, i say it to highlight how sometimes the excessive noise of the transmission can be misleading.
Often the evidence of things does not make us see or hear (in this situation) the side effects, quiet friend ... I do not say things with a dual purpose but only to compare the reason why minimal differences in construction can create what some they see it as a flaw but it's just a different concept of doing things.
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 am quote
Oh yes, absolutely Attilia. I agree completely.

I'd like to hear what the OP has to say about his noise once he gets the bike back. I'm guessing it may not make any difference.
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:48 am quote
I remember the first 250 maxi scooters, the ones that had a noisy transmission and after the first thousand kilometers they looked like diesels and especially when you opened all the gas when stationary; in this regard, I wanted to remind you that on a new vehicle the transmission must also be run in smoothly, without sinking the accelerator.
PS: Attilia is Attilio's feminine ...not good for me ...
GTS 300
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:03 am quote
Update.
Got the scooter back from the dealer.
They said nothing was visibly wrong, but they replaced the rollers just as a precaution. Said there was some minor scuffing, but nothing extraordinary.
Rode home 20 miles and it still makes some noise, not as much as before.
Haven't been able to ride at all this week so I'll put some more miles on it over the next few weeks and see how it goes.
Thanks for all the responses.
Ossessionato
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 am quote
Over time it will become quieter and you will get used to the typical rattling noise of the transmission.
GTS 300 Supertech
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:55 am quote
zoan wrote:
Spoke to dealer today.
They are replacing the rollers under warranty.
They didn't feel there was anything mechanically wrong of significance.
But since they were annoyingly noisy, they dealer went ahead and replaced them.
I'll pick up scooter tomorrow and I'll let you all know how it turned out.
Same. Spoke to my dealer about it during the 1000km service. They checked everything and there seemed to be no fault.
Hooked
GTS 300 Touring
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:40 am quote
Attila wrote:
waspmike wrote:
It's also better than a wet crutch which means you'd pissed yourself.
Ossessionato
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:45 am quote
smeghead wrote:
Attila wrote:
waspmike wrote:
...but no! What did you understand..? I am not pissed ... if you knew me well you would know that I am difficult to do it, absolutely.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:20 am quote
S.Ro wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
No, you do not. Install them as delivered. If they’re difficult to fit return them for another set. They should fit snugly but move freely.

-g
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:38 am quote
Attila wrote:
smeghead wrote:
Attila wrote:
waspmike wrote:
...but no! What did you understand..? I am not pissed ... if you knew me well you would know that I am difficult to do it, absolutely.
I think this was 100% lost in translation, which makes it even more hilarious.

Cool it both of yous. No harm, no foul.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:15 am quote
greasy125 wrote:
S.Ro wrote:
Max6200 wrote:
No, you do not. Install them as delivered. If they’re difficult to fit return them for another set. They should fit snugly but move freely.

-g
Thank you for clarifying that. Your advice is Gospel to me.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1597s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0283s) ][ Debug on ]