Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:03 am quote
Attila wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Attila wrote:
Bazziemoto wrote:
Attila wrote:
... you go around with a knife ..? Ouch ...
You're lucky it wasn't a scarf, Isadora Duncan docet ...
I carry a pocket knife with around a 4" blade in my toolkit. A knife comes in handle for all sorts of stuff.
O.K. it's a part of a rescue kit, got it ... In Italy the maximum length allowed is less than two inches.
The knife I carrier for work is bigger than that
And it is part a tool kit I am supplied by my employer

Just googled this.
It is legal to own any type of knife in Virginia.

It is illegal to conceal carry a dirk, bowie knife, switchblade, machete, ballistic knife, throwing stars or oriental darts, or any knife of a like kind.

It is legal to open carry any type of knife.
Cool .... here a few times if you are stopped by the police they search the scooter and also open the tool bag, obviously they are looking for drugs but also for weapons like knives.
It is allowed to have it inside a multipurpose tool but always less than 2 "in length. Same thing happens with cars.
I'm guessing you have "the look" that makes them need to stop you.
Addicted
Bashan 150, CF Moto Fashion 250
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:09 am quote
Let's see. Riding Timed Road Runs you would sometimes get late for your key time. I made many trips to 80 mph on twisty upstate roads to correct it. The worst was a Midnight starting Run. Two AM in the dark on North Shore Long Island roads on a Kawasaki 500 outrunning the headlight beam. I'm fortunate to be this old.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:36 am quote
Attila wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Attila wrote:
Bazziemoto wrote:
Attila wrote:
... you go around with a knife ..? Ouch ...
You're lucky it wasn't a scarf, Isadora Duncan docet ...
I carry a pocket knife with around a 4" blade in my toolkit. A knife comes in handle for all sorts of stuff.
O.K. it's a part of a rescue kit, got it ... In Italy the maximum length allowed is less than two inches.
The knife I carrier for work is bigger than that
And it is part a tool kit I am supplied by my employer

Just googled this.
It is legal to own any type of knife in Virginia.

It is illegal to conceal carry a dirk, bowie knife, switchblade, machete, ballistic knife, throwing stars or oriental darts, or any knife of a like kind.

It is legal to open carry any type of knife.
Cool .... here a few times if you are stopped by the police they search the scooter and also open the tool bag, obviously they are looking for drugs but also for weapons like knives.
It is allowed to have it inside a multipurpose tool but always less than 2 "in length. Same thing happens with cars.
Honestly that sounds a bit alarmist to me but I guess I'm not in Italy. My god what kind of crime and violence problems do you have to have to enforce those sorts of draconian measures? How would you even be able to buy a kitchen knife? How would a professional chef carry the tools of their trade? Do you need to have a license? My guess would be it would be up to the discretion of the LEO.
Ossessionato
2009 GTS 250, 2013 Buddy 125, 2014 Triumph Bonneville
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:30 am quote
Riding a BMW in the right lane of an interstate highway, almost no traffic, doing about 75. A semi next to me in the middle lane, decides to just stay there same speed as me. So I decide this would be a good time to just zoom ahead and a good time to hit triple digits just for shits and giggles. . I’m so into getting away from him and also into going over 100 I don’t notice until the last second that my lane ends. Hit the brakes, there is a paved shoulder though that I hit still doing about 90. But here in NJ the shoulders haven’t been swept of gravel, debris, and truck tires since about 1960. I somehow miss all the debris and survive.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:03 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Honestly that sounds a bit alarmist to me but I guess I'm not in Italy. My god what kind of crime and violence problems do you have to have to enforce those sorts of draconian measures? How would you even be able to buy a kitchen knife? How would a professional chef carry the tools of their trade? Do you need to have a license? My guess would be it would be up to the discretion of the LEO.
The law in Italy:

Various objects that are likely to cause injuries such as blunt weapons, brass knuckles, but also clubs, pipes, chains, bolts, metal balls, hammers, bars, kitchen knives fall into the category of improper weapons.
The definition of improper weapon is contained in art. 4 of the law of 18 April 1975 n. 110. Regarding the port of the weapon according to this rule, with the exception of the authorizations provided for by art. 42, paragraph 3 of the TULPS, cannot be taken out of one's home or its appurtenances, iron clubs or iron sticks and truncheon.

Furthermore, sticks equipped with a sharp tip, pointe or cutting tools capable of offending, clubs, pipes, chains, slingshots, bolts, metal balls, as well as any other instrument not expressly considered cannot be carried, unless there is a justified reason. as a pointed or cutting weapon, clearly usable, for the circumstances of time of place, for the offense to the person. The port is therefore allowed if there is an objectively valid reason to do so (ie if the object will be used only for its primary destination). For pointe and cutting tools designed to offend, the R.D. May 6, 1940 n. 635 (Regulations for the execution of the Consolidated Law of 18 June 1931, no. 773 of the Laws of Public Security) clarifies that knives and scissors with a blade exceeding four centimeters in length, and some tools as well the objects indicated in art. 45, with the exception of exceptions.

Regarding the "justified reason": whoever brings one of these objects with him, if stopped, must in fact provide a convincing justification (for example, demonstrate that he is going to perform a job, or that the object is at the moment necessary for a activity related to the primary function of the object itself).
Thus, for example, a carpenter will be able to carry various potentially dangerous tools (screwdrivers, gouges, hammers, etc.) with him, at the time of his work, because they are essential for the work he will have to do or that he has just done. There is therefore the reversal of the burden of proof (according to the principle of "innocence until proven guilty").
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:48 pm quote
Two really scary thing with the first being my rear tire throwing a gator at 75mph. As the tire deflated it started going flopping like a fish. When I got it safely to the side I put the Scarabeo 500 on its center stand and it promptly fell over. Took almost 4 hours for a tow truck to arrive.

Second was on our trip where we rented a pair of Vespa GTS and we're exploring back roads in the UK by putting the GPS on most direct route. That took us on a lot of one lane roads with high hedges. I was leading and as I came around a blind corner I saw a Range Rover stopped in the mid length of a narrow bridge just 30-40 ft from where I exited the high hedged turn. Instant visions of going splat into the hood of the rover. There was approximately 4ft on one side of the rover. Somehow I managed to pass the rover without even a mirror touch. To this day I'm not quite sure how I did it. All I can think of is the memory of my MSF instructors saying look where you want to go and I really wanted to go in that gap not splat.
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:12 pm quote
Summer of 81, working with my buddy Dan at the state psych hospital... Great high school job!

Anyway, since we were in good service, there were always plenty of leftovers. Statute of
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:15 pm quote
Summer of 81, working with my buddy Dan at the state psych hospital... Great high school job!

Anyway, since we were in food service, there were always plenty of leftovers. Statute of limitations is past on this one.... so we took them home for dinner. Riding cupcake on his CB350 I cradled a blueberry cupcake, a huge can of pineapple chunks, etc. Good eats!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:11 pm quote
mine involved a CB550 4 and a girl whom wanted a ride on a motorcycle. can't go into details for ya though.
Hooked
300 GTS, Stella 4T
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:48 am quote
Once, on a long trip, I managed to take a hard-boiled egg out of my pack, peel, and eat it, all while riding.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:49 am quote
I've ridden into work on a cold but dry day, and walked out to snow. That was the worse ride ever. I should have checked the weather before I left.
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:50 am quote
Long, long time ago I was riding on I95 in Florida in the left most (fast) lane. I had a large truck in front of me and another behind me and we were going along at pretty good clip. To my right was a Cadillac driven by an elderly lady. She starts moving over into my lane slowly, no signal, no warning. I hit the horn, still coming. I hit the horn longer, still coming. The emergency lane was not much of an option as it was quite narrow and full of junk. Anyhow, she's still moving over - I kick her door - nothing. I kick it again - nothing - she is halfway in my lane and even the truck behind me is hitting his horn and backing off some. Still nothing, still coming over. I reached back where my chain was hung and swung it across her windshield. I meant just to hit the window, but it cracked it, put a small hole in it and took the chain out of my hand. Well, that worked, she swerved all over the road and was cussing me out in a blue streak taking the chain, hanging, along for the ride That's the scary part, here's the stupid part. That was a really good chain, and I wanted it back, so I followed the Caddy at a distance until the end of the destination. I parked down the block, waited until she went in the house, grabbed the end of the chain that was sticking out of the windshield, yanked it out, ran back to the scoot and got out of there quick. I have done crazy things and stupid things, but this day stands out as a time where I did both.
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:07 am quote
We had the hammer holsters on the fork leg of the rocket bikes. Every time someone would cut us off a bunch of hammers would go flying. I never went back for one though.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:49 pm quote
Tierney wrote:
That's the scary part, here's the stupid part
I think kicking someones door and swinging a chain at them counts as stupid too. I'm surprised you're alive.
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:27 am quote
Bagged: A Terrifying Little Life Test!

Never to be matched (by me, anyway)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:04 am quote
Treppenwitz wrote:
Bagged: A Terrifying Little Life Test!

Never to be matched (by me, anyway)
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. Tethys - 300 GTS Titanium
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:22 am quote
toodling around
I like to ride in the countryside alongside creeks and other pretty sites. Very slow pace, sightseeing and enjoying the scenery. I seem to have a thing about bodies of water. I often ride standing up on the floorboard to get a better view.

I'm flying down the interstate at speed and it starts following a river. Downhill, just under the rev limiter kicking in, what do I do? Out of (bad) habit, I stand up for a split second! It really was just a split second but it felt like forever until I got my butt back down on the seat.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:33 am quote
Re: toodling around
KimPossible wrote:
I like to ride in the countryside alongside creeks and other pretty sites. Very slow pace, sightseeing and enjoying the scenery. I seem to have a thing about bodies of water. I often ride standing up on the floorboard to get a better view.

I'm flying down the interstate at speed and it starts following a river. Downhill, just under the rev limiter kicking in, what do I do? Out of (bad) habit, I stand up for a split second! It really was just a split second but it felt like forever until I got my butt back down on the seat.
Wow you live dangerously.
Ossessionato
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:18 am quote
znomit wrote:
Tierney wrote:
That's the scary part, here's the stupid part
I think kicking someones door and swinging a chain at them counts as stupid too. I'm surprised you're alive.
You may be right. But I was running out of road and it was that or get run off the road and die.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:15 pm quote
Riding with a full load of camping equipment through a very snakey very narrow mountain pass in New Hampshire behind a pair of sport bikes. I was very proud that I was keeping up UNTIL I scraped my side stand so thoroughly in a left-hand curve that my heart just about stopped while every neutron in my body lit up like fireworks.

Never-doing-that-again!!!
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:25 pm quote
David Masse wrote:
Riding with a full load of camping equipment through a very snakey very narrow mountain pass in New Hampshire behind a pair of sport bikes. I was very proud that I was keeping up UNTIL I scraped my side stand so thoroughly in a left-hand curve that my heart just about stopped while every neutron in my body lit up like fireworks.

Never-doing-that-again!!!
One of the reasons I had my side stand removed was because of pucker-inducing moments like that!
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Kymco AK550 I don't care. You can quote me.
Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:35 pm quote
Bonus
I think hitting the corpse of a deer in the middle lane of a French highway at 70 mph at 2am in the morning rates quite highly.

Bill x
Addicted
2019 Honda - The Monkey
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:18 am quote
1971. I used to work on Lord Bath's Longleat Estate. My girlfriend lived in Horningsham, on the fringe of the Estate. In around 1966 Lord Bath had opened a Safari Park.

In those days you could pass unhindered through Longleat 24/7. One night I was on my trusty Lambretta (I kid you not) around midnight passing through the Estate from Horningsham. As I drove down the drive Longleat House was semi lit up in front of me. Turning right I safely negotiated the first cattle grid. I then headed towards the second and more demanding to negotiate cattle grid by the exit of the Safari Park.

It was at this moment that I could make out a dark and large shape on the cattle grid. It was only when I was delicately and I have to say skilfully and at speed, threading my way pass it on the grid that I realised that it was a Hippopotamus. I honestly thought little about it and got home safely. The following day there was talk in the Restaurant as to how one off the Hippos had escaped, walked up the mile long drive and was finally recaptured and returned in the bucket of a JCB. It has to be said that Hippos are probably one of the most dangerous animals there are.

somerset
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:22 am quote
Hmm. I've done a few bone-headed things over the years, but not too many stand out.

When I was on my LX150, maybe my first year of riding, I was coming home, and turning right onto my road. Going plenty fast, and there was a car waiting at the stop sign. With my, er, relatively undeveloped cornering skills, I remember getting closer to the car than I wanted to. Maybe didn't look all that bad from the outside, but I remember feeling out of control and puckering a bit. Fortunately no harm, no foul, but made a mental not to get cocky without anybody in the way..
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:47 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Hmm. I've done a few bone-headed things over the years, but not too many stand out.

When I was on my LX150, maybe my first year of riding, I was coming home, and turning right onto my road. Going plenty fast, and there was a car waiting at the stop sign. With my, er, relatively undeveloped cornering skills, I remember getting closer to the car than I wanted to. Maybe didn't look all that bad from the outside, but I remember feeling out of control and puckering a bit. Fortunately no harm, no foul, but made a mental not to get cocky without anybody in the way..
Oh lord we've ALL been there. I dare say that any of us with more than say 50,000 miles under their butts have pulled some bone headed moves and/or close calls. Like you not too many stand out but when I do make a mistake or do something dumb after I stop wearing to myself in my head and calling myself an idiot I make a very strong mental note to learn from the experience. The trick is not making the same mistake twice and this applies to far more than just riding.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 am quote
somerset wrote:
1971. I used to work on Lord Bath's Longleat Estate. My girlfriend lived in Horningsham, on the fringe of the Estate. In around 1966 Lord Bath had opened a Safari Park.

In those days you could pass unhindered through Longleat 24/7. One night I was on my trusty Lambretta (I kid you not) around midnight passing through the Estate from Horningsham. As I drove down the drive Longleat House was semi lit up in front of me. Turning right I safely negotiated the first cattle grid. I then headed towards the second and more demanding to negotiate cattle grid by the exit of the Safari Park.

It was at this moment that I could make out a dark and large shape on the cattle grid. It was only when I was delicately and I have to say skilfully and at speed, threading my way pass it on the grid that I realised that it was a Hippopotamus. I honestly thought little about it and got home safely. The following day there was talk in the Restaurant as to how one off the Hippos had escaped, walked up the mile long drive and was finally recaptured and returned in the bucket of a JCB. It has to be said that Hippos are probably one of the most dangerous animals there are.

somerset
Things I will NEVER have to worry about, running into hippos while riding.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:12 am quote
Belkwinith wrote:
somerset wrote:
(...) I realised that it was a Hippopotamus...
ha ha ha ha ha... Oh dear Martha, never, ever, say never. What if some ridiculously wealthy MVer (not me, I swear) offers to take you and a handful of other MVer's (me too?) to South Africa to meet up with Fudmucker, and Fudmucker decides that we should all ride out into the savannah on a little countryside road trip... and...
Hooked
1974 Vespa 125 Primavera, 1980 Bajaj Chetak, 1962 Lambretta 175TV3, 2006 Yamaha Vino
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:24 pm quote
OldSchooot wrote:
A few years ago - Put Armor All on my scooter seat.
I use Armor All on all my seats and have never had any issues (don't ride right after I clean them though)
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:26 pm quote
Ciao Bazzie!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:35 pm quote
Will have to go take a picture of the ledge I road off of when being chased by the cops while riding a loaned bike with no motorcycle license.
Road off a 6 foot parking lot embankment onto the street, it was like a stunt in the movies and it all went perfect, landed fine, took the turn into the apartment complex too fast hit a planter box and took off running to my buddies apartment.
Had to pay for my friends totaled Yamaha bike, front tire was firmly against the frame from hitting the planter box. He was on vacation at the time so it sat in the impound lot for a week and I had to pay for that too.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda CTX 700 DN Automatic Motorcycle
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:40 pm quote
David Masse wrote:
Belkwinith wrote:
somerset wrote:
(...) I realised that it was a Hippopotamus...
ha ha ha ha ha... Oh dear Martha, never, ever, say never. What if some ridiculously wealthy MVer (not me, I swear) offers to take you and a handful of other MVer's (me too?) to South Africa to meet up with Fudmucker, and Fudmucker decides that we should all ride out into the savannah on a little countryside road trip... and...

We are WAY more likely to take a trip in the Wisconsin countryside and run into a rogue cow than a hippo.
Ossessionato
2020 MP3 Sport 500 HPE ABS ASR
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:53 pm quote
OK, here's another one.

In 2007 I decided to get back into riding. I bought an MP3 250 and took the Basic Rider Course before picking it up. This isn't the stupid part.

While taking the course, I didn't really buy into countersteering though, to be fair to me, it wasn't explained very well.

So, on my second day of riding, I'm approaching my office. There is a big left turn from one major street to another. I turn the handlebars to the left and goose the throttle. The scooter straightens up and begins to go straight ahead. I turn the handlebars farther to the left. The scooter goes more straight.

In a panic, I grab the brakes. I actually high side! Scooter goes down. I am propelled face-first into the curb, luckily at only about 5 mph. Still, I sprain my ankle, get a black eye from the face shield, and, somehow, get a laceration on the back of my hand requiring a trip to the ER and several stitches.

I was lucky, of course, as it could have been much worse.

I couldn't ride again for three weeks, during which time I read Proficient Motorcycling and received an explanation of countersteering that made sense to me.
Ossessionato
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:46 pm quote
mpfrank wrote:
OK, here's another one.

In 2007 I decided to get back into riding. I bought an MP3 250 and took the Basic Rider Course before picking it up. This isn't the stupid part.

While taking the course, I didn't really buy into countersteering though, to be fair to me, it wasn't explained very well.

So, on my second day of riding, I'm approaching my office. There is a big left turn from one major street to another. I turn the handlebars to the left and goose the throttle. The scooter straightens up and begins to go straight ahead. I turn the handlebars farther to the left. The scooter goes more straight.

In a panic, I grab the brakes. I actually high side! Scooter goes down. I am propelled face-first into the curb, luckily at only about 5 mph. Still, I sprain my ankle, get a black eye from the face shield, and, somehow, get a laceration on the back of my hand requiring a trip to the ER and several stitches.

I was lucky, of course, as it could have been much worse.

I couldn't ride again for three weeks, during which time I read Proficient Motorcycling and received an explanation of countersteering that made sense to me.
OMG that's the way I learned to counter steer too (minus the drop, faceplant, and stitches)! In my case it was an expressway on ramp, and luckily I didn't lose control. Proficient Motorcycling and counter steering were an epiphany. I was petrified the first time I steered left to go right, and what a revelation that was!
Hooked
GTS 300
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:10 pm quote
1. Took a date on my first enduro style bike , no rider training prior to this. A car pulled out from a stop sign , I wanted to turn right , grabbed a hand full of front brake. Went down hard enough to have a bunch of sore places the next day. The lady never rode with me again.

2. On a road trip from Detroit to Toronto , had a rear tire go flat at about 70 mph on the 401 . I knew the tire was questionable , but went anyway. Now I never leave on a trip without good tire life.

3. Had participated in a day long poker run, girl friend got a trophy for best hand as a passenger. We were with another couple , he bought me a beer, I bought him a beer ( you know where this is going) so it's getting late and it's time to go. We mount up and ride a little, the road is curvy and I almost run us off the side. Decide to take a little siesta next to the river for a couple hours until I feel better and the passenger ( now my wife of 30+ years) stops shaking .
Never touched a drop of alcohol when riding again.

There are some other's I'm sure, but those were all stupid, dangerous and potentially fatal. As a returning rider I'm re-taking training this year .
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:44 pm quote

85092655_2798409290236605_410671196451897344_o.jpg

Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
Meh, maybe popcorn worthy but more it's just a strange regulation and knives have WAY more uses than the "other" thing that shall not be mentioned. I personally have a great collection of Japanese chef knives that I use for... wait for it..... food prep.
I'm of mixed feelings about Japanese chef knives. I like the 15 degree bevel, but am not a big fan of the single sided edge.
As far as stupid or scary things, here's a short list

Going across the Bay bridge into SF and a sheet of newspaper blew up and completely covered my helmet, so I couldn't see anything. It was like being in a cartoon.

Hit in the head, wearing a helmet, by a pigeon in Uruguay.
Hit in the chest by a different pigeon, also in Uruguay.

Caught in a blizzard, with a passenger, in the Andes between Argentina and Chile the day Pinochet died. Bypassed all the cars and rode into the integrated checkpoint because I couldn't feel my hands anymore.
Caught in a riot that night, on the bike, in Santiago because I wanted to ride around and have a look.

Lost my rear brake in a long steep downhill on a BV200. No engine braking.

Lost both brakes on an Italjet Dragster while in a long sweeping set of corners.

I tried to chase some Llama like creatures in the dirt in Southern Argentina on a big, heavy, overloaded street bike.

Trying to go around a motocross track in my sister's front yard on the same big, ponderous motorcycle.

Trying to race a guy on a KTM to Ushuaia on the same, heavy, slow moving motorcycle.

Riding my first mini-bike through the backyard fence into my neighbor's backyard and hitting his dog, when I was about 10. It didn't have any brakes and I wasn't supposed to be riding it.

Miscalculating an onramp in the fog when I was 16 and piling my Honda CB350 into a guardrail. Landing about twenty feet away from the bike.

Hitting a patch of water in a corner and watching my Moto Guzzi go sliding and spinning down the road, sparks flying everywhere. After finishing the day's ride, figured out my foot was broken and screamed like a baby when my boot came off.

Slow speed front brake lockups on my Vespa ET4 and BMW /5 that caused me to immediately drop to the pavement.

riding my BMW GS 100 into the back of a car because I wasn't paying attention.

Lying in the middle of the street after my cousin made a ramp out of a milk crate and board so he could jump over me.

I don't have a kill switch story, but I do have the three hours of trying to diagnose a bike with a kickstand kill switch story.

There are a few more that come to mind that could be described as the opposite of legal, but other than that, I think I've gotten most of them.
Addicted
'2017 GTS 300 SS
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 am quote
To Bee or not to Bee...
Just a couple of weeks ago I'm riding to the gym with an open face on. Anyways, out the corner of my eye I quickly see an insect fly in the gap between my head and the helmet - the only gap bit in there and ends up in my ear, right in the earhole.

I have to stop at the lights and off my helmet comes pronto like as I can feel the thing, next minute I felt the sting and the venom go in my ear and such. So, unsure what to do and the lights change I gently put my helmet back on and I could hear it buzzing but no repeated stings.

At the gym I tell my team that there's something in my ear, sure enough it was a honey bee and still alive. Out comes the trust miniature first aid-kit from the glove compartment and bee is extracted with tweezers. I did end up squashing it though, but it got me first, fair call and it did not look like flying anywhere soon. Luckily, I had no reaction and here's a thing.... if you get stung lookout for a thing called serum (look it up) as that could take a few days to materialise.

I've probably had more close calls than I know about but that's the most recent
Addicted
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:47 am quote
nipper
In my younger days, when I was only 17, a bloody Pheasant flew out from a hedge on the side of a country road, and knocked the wind out of me! Luckly, I managed to stop my scooter, and catch my breath- I looked down and the bloody bird got up, shook it's head a flew off!
But the time I reallly was an idiot, was again when I was 17, my Vespa 100 I had, wasn't electronic, it still had points inside the flywheel. I had been having trouble with the the scooter backfiring, so I decided to check the points and maybe adjust them, with a feeler guage..
I couldn't get the flywheel nut off, and I noticed a rubber bung protecting the points- removing the bung gave you access to the points, via a little hole in the flywheel. But instead of adjusting the points, I needed to know if the points were arcing, so I looked down to peer at the gap, while my brother revved the scooter. I just looked up to hear what my brother was saying to me, whem the bloody flywheel suddenly flew off at high speed and rolled down the path in the garden!!
If I didn't look up in time, my face would have been mangled by the flywheel!! Doh!!!

Graham
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 am quote
louswheel wrote:
... the bloody flywheel suddenly flew off at high speed and rolled down the path in the garden!!
If I didn't look up in time, my face would have been mangled by the flywheel!! Doh!!!

Graham
... so that’s how your forum name was born?
Ossessionato
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 am quote
Motovista wrote:
... As far as stupid or scary things, here's a short list... There are a few more that come to mind that could be described as the opposite of legal, but other than that, I think I've gotten most of them.
How have you managed to still be alive to tell your story?????
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.2041s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0456s) ][ Debug on ]