Which flyscreen for my GTS 300?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2020 GTS HPE 300, 2013 GTS 300ie
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:09 pm quote
Finally decided to add a flyscreen and crash bars (and get those hideous reflectors removed) when I get my first service done in a week. Should I go with the Vespa brand one:

https://www.scooterwest.com/gt200-gts-250-and-gts-300-piaggio-mod-style-windshield-gts30pa.html

Or is the Cuppini one a better option?
https://www.scooterwest.com/gt200-gts-250-and-gts-300-mod-flyscreen-by-cuppini-gt30cp.html

Thanks
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 pm quote
not sure this is helpful but I have a Vespa 300 super and have a Vespa full size screen. But I live in a Chicago suburb, and often ride in colder weather and it blocks a lot of the wind including to my hands as the screen blocks wind on the hands and in warmer weather it is a great bug reflector and in the rain it can block a lot of the rain.......likely none of these conditions are relevant to someone in San Diego though. so not sure I can help. Likely whatever you get will be good though.

larry
Ossessionato
2015 GTS300, 1974 Primavera, 04 Ninja 250
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:30 pm quote
I got the Vespa fly screen and like it a lot, it does take the wind off the body.

A6FB991D-520F-4186-A8D5-8DA054C09B48.jpeg

Addicted
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:26 pm quote
What are you looking for out of the windshield? Pretty looks, or protect you from wind and weather? For me the ideal height is nose high when riding upright. At high speeds, the bulk of the air is directed over my helmet. When riding in rain, it's high enough to duck behind for good protection.
Hooked
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:32 pm quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
What are you looking for out of the windshield? Pretty looks, or protect you from wind and weather? For me the ideal height is nose high when riding upright. At high speeds, the bulk of the air is directed over my helmet. When riding in rain, it's high enough to duck behind for good protection.
Just to keep some wind off my chest. I am 5’5 but all leg so short upper body
Hooked
GTS 300
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:37 pm quote
My 2020 GTS 300 Touring came with the Vespa fly screen. I don't like it , no wind or bug protection. It looks great but that's it , In my case.

I replaced it with a FACO mid height screen , it works much better for me.
It's just high enough to get the wind to the top of my helmet , but low enough to see over.
I will say that the quality of the hardware is not nearly as good as the OEM

If I were doing it again I would pay the difference for a Vespa OEM mid height screen. It's a little wider and gives your hands a bit of protection from the wind.
The cost difference is not all that much.
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:55 pm quote
I’m 5’7” and more torso than leg, the fly screen put the wind at helmet height for me, and took it off my chest. I found it to be just what I was looking for.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 pm quote
I find the Vespa screens to be well made with sturdy hardware. I have both the flyscreen and the mid-height screen. I use the flyscreen in the summer when some breeze across your face is desirable. I use the mid-height screen in the Fall to Spring to keep wind and rain off of my chest and face. I find the mid-height screen pushes the airflow just up over my helmet while my line of vision is just over the screen. (I am 5'9")
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:31 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
I find the Vespa screens to be well made with sturdy hardware. I have both the flyscreen and the mid-height screen. I use the flyscreen in the summer when some breeze across your face is desirable. I use the mid-height screen in the Fall to Spring to keep wind and rain off of my chest and face. I find the mid-height screen pushes the airflow just up over my helmet while my line of vision is just over the screen. (I am 5'9")
I keep the Vespa flyscreen on the lx50 permanently. The GTS is just happy with the Faco adjustable screen. It serves me well considering that the bottom is smoked and the top is clear. The top of the top hits right about my nose.
Hooked
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
I was able to sit on a GTS with midsize - the top is RIGHT at eye level. Ugh, screwed me up good
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 am quote
sdscooterista wrote:
I was able to sit on a GTS with midsize - the top is RIGHT at eye level. Ugh, screwed me up good
Well, IMO you don't want a screen where your normal view is through the plastic. Rain water, dirt, bugs, whatever - obscures the view, and the higher screen creates more wind resistance. Two other options for conditions or times of year where you don't want the air stream hitting you in the face or chest. One is a different brand of screen where the mid-height version is just a bit lower, or cut down the screen a little bit. I have cut down 2 different screens in the past to a height I preferred. Both times it went fine.
Hooked
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 am quote
Dooglas wrote:
Well, IMO you don't want a screen where your normal view is through the plastic. Rain water, dirt, bugs, whatever - obscures the view, and the higher screen creates more wind resistance. Two other options for conditions or times of year where you don't want the air stream hitting you in the face or chest. One is a different brand of screen where the mid-height version is just a bit lower, or cut down the screen a little bit. I have cut down 2 different screens in the past to a height I preferred. Both times it went fine.
It's San Diego, don't need much more than knocking some wind off. Luckily my husband's new GTS had the exact fly screen I am eyeing and since he's still nervous I'll be driving his new ride home tomorrow so I'll get to test the screen at 45-55 MPH
Ossessionato
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:41 pm quote
when you are riding use your left hand to feel where the wind goes over the screen and where it is blocked, it is pretty clear then where it is hitting on your body. i was surprised how much it matters. I like that little fly screen for San Diego, I think you will too.
Hooked
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm quote
sdjohn wrote:
when you are riding use your left hand to feel where the wind goes over the screen and where it is blocked, it is pretty clear then where it is hitting on your body. i was surprised how much it matters. I like that little fly screen for San Diego, I think you will too.
That's good. It hasn't mattered much yet, but I (hopefully) will soon be doing early morning rides to Point Loma so it will matter a lot more then.
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:26 pm quote
"On the Fly"
I've had the "Euro-spec" Flyscreen on my GTS for roughly three years. This is my take on it up till now:

- Practicality: It certainly works for me on that front, but the qualifier here is that I always ride with a decent FF helmet: I don't need something taller to block wind while at speed, as my helmet does a pretty good job to that end. What I did need was something to keep that heavy at-speed air pressure off my chest, and this Flyscreen does the job incredibly well…and, yeah, I think it makes Melody look a tad snazzier. (I have a slight vain streak–sue me.)

- Performance: Regarding Vespas in general, and (IMO) the GT/GTS in particular, there's long been rampant speculation as to just how fast an unmodified example in proper condition can actually go. Relying on the bikes' speedometers, as with most PTWs (and more than a few PFWs, from my experience) won't tell the full story, so we rely on GPS data, which while generally more accurate, isn't entirely foolproof. After installing the Flyscreen, I took Melody out for a series of informal runs along a few favorite sections of Rte 18 in central New Jersey, where, two times out of three, I managed an "official" (GPS-rated) 85mph (speedometer reading roughly a bit below 90, indicating roughly 3-4mph error), before the limiter kicked in. This is, to quote Johnny Mathis, awfully good on the GTS. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, this is plenty. I might also add that the screen, in my experience, offers a minor improvement in stability in crosswinds, which, to quote the all-too-quotable Ron Burgundy, is actually Kind Of a Big Deal.

- Aesthetics: Okay…I flat-out love it. Okay?

melodyflyscreen.jpg
Not perfect for everything, but for some things, fantastic.

Hooked
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:37 pm quote
sdjohn wrote:
OK, tried it today - hated the thing. Wind hit right at my ears, making a horrible whistling that even my earplugs could not tune out. Bleh.
Hooked
Vespa '05 Gt200, '99 Honda ACE Tourer
Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:50 pm quote
I really like the adjustable aspect of my Faco TwinScreen. Way up in bad headwinds. Full down for beach cruising in good weather.

CDEEE9B2-BFAA-4DE8-987A-E0A7B0CCD075.jpeg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 pm quote
sdscooterista wrote:
OK, tried it today - hated the thing. Wind hit right at my ears, making a horrible whistling that even my earplugs could not tune out. Bleh.
If you do almost all of your riding in warmer weather, you may prefer riding with no screen. It is a matter of what works for you.
Hooked
Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:19 am quote
bdonley wrote:
I really like the adjustable aspect of my Faco TwinScreen. Way up in bad headwinds. Full down for beach cruising in good weather.
The full down is right at my eye level, so cannot work for me.
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:05 am quote
sdscooterista wrote:
sdjohn wrote:
Ah bummer. It does depend on your height / riding position / helmet etc. I found some increase in noise but not enough to bother me and no more than i get on my Ninja 250. Sounds like maybe you need to try a medium size next. Then the wind should hit higher and you won't have the noise issue.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:44 pm quote
Vespa Medium Windscreen
With the GTS 300, I do a measure of express way riding or longer rides
in the country at speed. Further, several of our riding months here up North are colder and the windshield really helps. I rode the Vespa during the first year without a windshield - not good for me.

I bought the Vespa Medium for $174.95 four years ago - my dealer intalled
for $68.

Bob Copeland

dsc06125_34513294985_o.jpg
Also consider Cheeky Seats.

Hooked
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:14 pm quote
sdjohn wrote:
Ah bummer. It does depend on your height / riding position / helmet etc. I found some increase in noise but not enough to bother me and no more than i get on my Ninja 250. Sounds like maybe you need to try a medium size next. Then the wind should hit higher and you won't have the noise issue.
I stated above that the medium hits me right at eye level, messes me up whether to look over or through. So decided to go screenless. The wind hasn't really been an issue, even going 60+ down Sea World Drive. May make a different decision when driving to Point Loma every morning from Mission Valley at 6-something AM, but getting heated hand grips and just got a Termoscud, and I have a three layer jacket that really keeps the wind out and a neck gaiter so hoping that should be good enough.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:50 am quote
Windscreen More Comfortable Long Distances
sdscooterista,

You are right, the medium causes the air flow to hit you helmet high.
I do ride with a modular helmet with the full front down at speed - I actually do look over the windshield. When slowing down or in town, I flip the front of
the helmet up and actually enjoy the wind in my face.

Old Fart, like me, consideration. If I ride at speed without at least a medium windscreen, my body acts like a sail and it is tiring holding on to the handle bars. This is significant over cruising distances. Again, the younger set may
actually enjoy the full wind on the body. At 71 years old, I go for every comfort advantage I can get.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota -12 Tonight in Frost Bite Falls

dsc06124_34513293045_o.jpg
I still vote for the medium windscreen

Ossessionato
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:21 am quote
sdscooterista wrote:
sdjohn wrote:
I stated above that the medium hits me right at eye level, messes me up whether to look over or through. So decided to go screenless. The wind hasn't really been an issue, even going 60+ down Sea World Drive. May make a different decision when driving to Point Loma every morning from Mission Valley at 6-something AM, but getting heated hand grips and just got a Termoscud, and I have a three layer jacket that really keeps the wind out and a neck gaiter so hoping that should be good enough.
ah so you end up a none or full size. I'd go with none myself then.
Hooked
Looking
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:38 am quote
To my eye, the Vespa one is more pleasing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:47 am quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
You are right, the medium causes the air flow to hit you helmet high.
That entirely depends on the height of the rider. IMO the desired height allows the rider to look just over the top of the screen and have the deflected airstream flow just over the top of your helmet. The mid-height does that for some riders (like me), a cut down tall screen would be necessary for others.

The fly screen is a whole different discussion, of course. For my use, I regard it as a warm weather configuration (or a SoCal configuration ).
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1746s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0313s) ][ Debug on ]