Gas can
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
Vespa 300 touring 2018
Joined: 20 Aug 2017
Posts: 242
Location: Hawley PA
Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:49 am quote
How to carry a 1 gal gas can on the Vespa,I thought about putting on the front floor and straping it in. any thoughts ?.Dont want to put it on back rack with someone riding 2 up with added weight in the back.
Thanks Older Guy
Hooked
2013 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Joined: 05 Aug 2010
Posts: 280
Location: Rochester, NY
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:12 am quote
Hi,

It will cost a bit more, but you can get a classic rack and attach it to your floor board. It will make strapping/unstrapping the can easier.

Many folks on MV have one.

https://www.classic-racks.co.uk/
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Joined: 05 Apr 2008
Posts: 8009
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:20 am quote
As Kim said a Classic Rack or similar mounted on the battery cover. Alternatively the small 2L gas cans can fit under the seat. I've also seen Rotopax type gas can mounted on a front rack.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3131
Location: Bangkok
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:30 pm quote
Depending on bike colour or riding gear style there are some nice leather fuel bottle carriers. In brown or black.



Then use one or more of these?



Or there is a fuel bladder that may squeeze under the seat.




Conventional? Buy a front rack and get one of those red containers.
Hooked
Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 116
Location: Bermuda
Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:39 am quote
Wow they sure are proud of those gas bags. $150/gallon.

The ďafterburnersĒ on the top box were my solution. When not storing empty or full cans of fuel, I also made simple drawstring bags for holding tools or granola bars, that can be easily pulled out of the tubes so nothing needs to be fished out of the back part of the tubes.

Full or not, they arenít heavy or disruptive at 150 speeds. Fully tested last fall on a three state, 550-mile weekend road trip.

093BE430-4484-448E-85D3-C5AC589E9010.jpeg
Also: subtle black folding cupholder by knee position works well enough without invoking a minivanís practicality.

Member
PX125E Arcobeleno 946
Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Location: central California
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 am quote
Iíve had good luck strapping a gas cylinder underneath my rear rack with large zip ties. Itís only about a quart or so but I made a habit of carrying it after running out of gas about 5 miles from a station. After a ride in the middle of nowhere. When I use the gas I cut the zip ties off and carry spare ones. The zip ties come in handy for other needs too.
Hooked
Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 116
Location: Bermuda
Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:36 pm quote
I just checked this since it seemed like a great and obvious idea. Hanging items below my rear rack would start to interfere with tail light visibility.
Addicted
2013 GTS300ie
Joined: 12 Dec 2017
Posts: 577
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:45 pm quote
This is how I did mine last February.

I fitted SS D-rings to the battery cover using slightly longer screws.
The chord is cored nylon and seriously strong.

Sunny_loaded_for_Clarens_small.jpeg

D-ringTiedowns.png

Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS 300 i.e. ABS, 2010 Vespa GTS 300 ie Super (sold) & 2003 Honda Shadow VT750 ACE (sold) & 2006 Vespa LX150 (sold)
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 3112
Location: Toronto (formerly Montreal)
Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:01 pm quote
kimbered wrote:
Hi,

It will cost a bit more, but you can get a classic rack and attach it to your floor board. It will make strapping/unstrapping the can easier.

Many folks on MV have one.

https://www.classic-racks.co.uk/
+1 and two thumbs up!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7915
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:08 am quote
https://www.amazon.com/RotopaX-RX-1G-Gasoline-Pack-Capacity/dp/B002TTOI08

Get this and the pac mount at the top of the link along with rack that mounts over the battery.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7709
Location: KS USA
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 am quote
Some of the responses here have been helpful. However the op clearly stated that he doesn't want anything on the back.

Personally I prefer to carry less than a gallon. One liter canister attached to the underside of my rear rack on my GTS. It gives me some piece of mind. If I were traveling across a long desert without any service stations I would feel the need to carry a gallon or more. But that's not the case with me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7915
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 am quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Wow they sure are proud of those gas bags. $150/gallon.

The ďafterburnersĒ on the top box were my solution. When not storing empty or full cans of fuel, I also made simple drawstring bags for holding tools or granola bars, that can be easily pulled out of the tubes so nothing needs to be fished out of the back part of the tubes.

Full or not, they arenít heavy or disruptive at 150 speeds. Fully tested last fall on a three state, 550-mile weekend road trip.
Those cans would not be legal in the US to store gas. All gas storage containers must be RED.
Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150
Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Posts: 80
Location: Portland OR
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:28 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Those cans would not be legal in the US to store gas. All gas storage containers must be RED.
It's just two tool tubes: http://thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html
As Juan said you can put something like the MSR bottle in there.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3131
Location: Bangkok
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:57 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
All gas storage containers must be RED.
Hooked
Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 116
Location: Bermuda
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 am quote
notbenh wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Those cans would not be legal in the US to store gas. All gas storage containers must be RED.
It's just two tool tubes: http://thetooltube.com/ToolTube.html
As Juan said you can put something like the MSR bottle in there.
Those tubes are $6 apiece at Agri Supply Co. Theyíre waterproof and apparently are designed to store operatorsí manuals on farm equipment. Their utility on motorcycles and ATVs is mentioned in their catalog, but once they cross the threshold of a motorcycle store the price rises to $12 and up.

As a result of my purchase I suspect Iím the only person in my zip code receiving their catalogs.
Enthusiast
Vespa Sprint 150
Joined: 17 Jan 2019
Posts: 80
Location: Portland OR
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:42 am quote
Juan_ORhea wrote:
Those tubes are $6 apiece at Agri Supply Co. Theyíre waterproof and apparently are designed to store operatorsí manuals on farm equipment. Their utility on motorcycles and ATVs is mentioned in their catalog, but once they cross the threshold of a motorcycle store the price rises to $12 and up.

As a result of my purchase I suspect Iím the only person in my zip code receiving their catalogs.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7915
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:14 am quote
waspmike wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
All gas storage containers must be RED.
Not sure how that meets the regulation, here they are
https://www.horizononline.com/fuel-storage-cans-getting-the-color-right/
Addicted
2013 GTS 300ie
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 580
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:22 pm quote
Re: Gas can
Older Guy wrote:
How to carry a 1 gal gas can on the Vespa,I thought about putting on the front floor and straping it in. any thoughts ?.Dont want to put it on back rack with someone riding 2 up with added weight in the back.
Thanks Older Guy
Rotopax on a front rack, on the floorboard, in front of a top case, whatever works.
[url] https://rotopax.com/rotopax/rotopax/[/url]
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3131
Location: Bangkok
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
waspmike wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
All gas storage containers must be RED.
Not sure how that meets the regulation, here they are
https://www.horizononline.com/fuel-storage-cans-getting-the-color-right/
No idea one simply buys them?



There are green 5 gal jugs.



Or silver or white or....

Maybe the red thing is to do with transportation not storage?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7709
Location: KS USA
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:17 pm quote
This is my gas can. It was a present from the Santa Clause thread 2 years ago.

IMG_20200211_201436.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7915
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:31 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
Maybe the red thing is to do with transportation not storage?
Yep, it is DOT reg.
Hooked
GTS 300
Joined: 03 Jul 2019
Posts: 227
Location: lewisville , nc. 27023
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 am quote
My question regarding the MSD Fuel bottles ??

How in the heck do you fill them on a road trip when you don't have a funnel and or , someone to hold it upright while filling.

The opening looks to be smaller than a standard gas station fill nozzle ??
Hooked
Joined: 14 Aug 2019
Posts: 116
Location: Bermuda
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 am quote
I canít speak to the exact diameter of those bottles, but you should be carrying a funnel on a road trip anyway.
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Joined: 04 Jun 2012
Posts: 2627
Location: San Jose, CA
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am quote
Take a look at FuelPax from RotoPax. They have an assortment of sizes plus mounting options.

https://rotopax.com/fuelpax/

FX 1.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7709
Location: KS USA
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am quote
DandyDoug wrote:
My question regarding the MSD Fuel bottles ??

How in the heck do you fill them on a road trip when you don't have a funnel and or , someone to hold it upright while filling.

The opening looks to be smaller than a standard gas station fill nozzle ??
Use a paper funnel you can usually get from the gas station. And it's biodegradable.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1814s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0447s) ][ Debug on ]