Bearing change
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
gts300,gts250
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:44 pm quote
Hi,Had a strange noise coming from the clutch area of my gts300 yesterday I couldn't see anything amiss on first inspection ,so swapped the transmission from another of my scooters, that I knew was good, but the noise was still there..I then looked to renew the bearing in the transmission cover, and it just dropped out!!a new bearing was offered and that also dropped out. Any idea what might have caused the damage to the bearing race? If I have to change the bearing on the other side of the shaft, is it a big job? any tips would be welcome. Thanks
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:07 am quote
You mean #5?

Bearings don't usually fall out and they come out in one piece. Outer race,ball assembly and inner race. As delivered from the bearing manufacturer.

Example
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:03 am quote
Look really hard at the transmission case. Is there a very fine crack in the bearing housing?

I have seen this before on a GTS250. The bearing had overheated and the bike had been run for quite a few miles. The heat was so much that it caused the bearing housing in the transmission cover to crack with the heat and stress. But the crack was almost invisible to see with the naked eye. You must replace the transmission case if that is the case as alloy welding won't be strong enough.

Have you noticed the rear hub gearbox making a whining noise recently? If so that may indicate that an internal drive shaft bearing is starting to go south. This will cause extra strain on the transmission case bearing and may be a cause of your issue. It may be possible to feel just the tiniest bit of up and down play on the gearbox input shaft. There shoiuld not be any movement up and down.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:01 am quote
Don't dismiss Loctite bearing fit should the need arise.
Hooked
gts300,gts250
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:35 pm quote
Thanks for the replies I have fitted a second hand transmission case now However a little bit of up and down play was in the shaft,so maybe i need to change the bearing in the gearbox. Sorry the whole bearing fell out of the sidecase, not just a ball bearing. the race must have been enlarged somehow.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:45 am quote
fran wrote:
Thanks for the replies I have fitted a second hand transmission case now However a little bit of up and down play was in the shaft,so maybe i need to change the bearing in the gearbox. Sorry the whole bearing fell out of the sidecase, not just a ball bearing. the race must have been enlarged somehow.
Yes, this sounds like it could be the cause of the bearing issue.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1325s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0355s) ][ Debug on ]