Riding 3-up, in America?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:51 am quote
Big_Boys_Mother wrote:
See Page 40 of the California MOTORCYCLE HANDBOOK. “The motorcycle should be equipped with passenger footrests and the child's feet must be able to reach them ... Restraint systems are available to secure a child passenger to the rider by means of a belt or harness. In the event of a fall, the child passenger will remain secured to the rider instead of being thrown free.”
This is fascinating! So kid must be strapped to the rider? like a bungee cord or something? I've never seen this setup, but apparently it's a THING!!! (for adults):
Harbinger wrote:
I wouldn't risk it unless you have a sidecar rig where it's legal for sure to have one sitting in the car and one on the pillion seat.
I'd love to buy a ural just for this purpose, but sadly it'd defeat the purpose of riding to/fro work; it can't split lanes like a scooter/PTW can.

Also, re footpeg + strap, apparently Gwyneth Paltrow's + husband have been breaking the law:

Last edited by tonyc on Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:52 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
“ In the event of a fall, the child passenger will remain secured to the rider instead of being thrown free.”

And when the rider falls with the child securely attached to him, the weight of the rider could crush the child flat.
Beats being squished by the scooter. Probably.
True.

I've seen a lot of posts over the years with pics of Thailand etc where you have a whole family on a scooter/bike. These posts also often are about "look at the culture , and what they can do!". I think for the most part many of these places are more rider friendly such as allowing flittering etc. What I've never seen is the incident reports from the ER when that same cute family gets in an accident. Even at moderate speeds having a child fall off a PTW can't be good. I'm not in the you have to wear armour from head to toe camp but a child I never want to see hurt if it can be avoided. If they can sit on the pillion seat and reach the pegs then OK or better yet put them in a sidecar. Having one stand on the floorboards and balance on the scoot, yeah not so much.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:05 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Vintage1 wrote:
“ In the event of a fall, the child passenger will remain secured to the rider instead of being thrown free.”

And when the rider falls with the child securely attached to him, the weight of the rider could crush the child flat.
Beats being squished by the scooter. Probably.
True.

I've seen a lot of posts over the years with pics of Thailand etc where you have a whole family on a scooter/bike. These posts also often are about "look at the culture , and what they can do!". I think for the most part many of these places are more rider friendly such as allowing flittering etc. What I've never seen is the incident reports from the ER when that same cute family gets in an accident. Even at moderate speeds having a child fall off a PTW can't be good. I'm not in the you have to wear armour from head to toe camp but a child I never want to see hurt if it can be avoided. If they can sit on the pillion seat and reach the pegs then OK or better yet put them in a sidecar. Having one stand on the floorboards and balance on the scoot, yeah not so much.
Sure, no worries. I guess to explain my own perspective would be to say that I do not take responsibility for other peoples' children. That's their job. I may have an opinion on the physics, but I will *try* to avoid stating my opinion about perceived wisdom. Successful at that I am not always.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:28 am quote
tonyc wrote:
This is fascinating! So kid must be strapped to the rider? like a bungee cord or something? I've never seen this setup, but apparently it's a THING!!!
Actually the California Motorcycle Handbook does not say a child passenger must be strapped to the rider, it says the restraints are available - which they are.
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm quote
Harbinger wrote:
What I've never seen is the incident reports from the ER when that same cute family gets in an accident.
I have seen accident reports in newspapers involving large families on small scooters. In Uruguay you would read about two scooters colliding and six injured, etc.
that said, many people and their kids didn't wear helmets, the bikes aren't as well maintained as they are in the US etc.
Now, if you need a seat that is for a passenger, and want to do some modification, I think you could put one of these in front, and make it look like it's supposed to be there. Lots to choose from. So, one kid on the front, one on the back, and it looks like everyone has their own seat.
If you get stopped and told you can't do it, then don't do it anymore, but I suspect most LEOs wouldn't have the slightest idea about what to cite you for if they did pull you.

https://sip-scootershop.com/main/base/Results.aspx?t=child+safety+seat&d=(sco,ape,lam,old,px,sma,max,atv,mot)&a=1&sort=0
eeee-bip
Benelli TNT 125/Kymco AK550 I don't care. You can quote me.
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:31 pm quote
Best of
Do you think if Chris Martin crashed the scooter has his son broke his legs do you think that he's offer to "fix them " for him ?

Bill x
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:09 am quote
Re: Best of
Bill Dog wrote:
Do you think if Chris Martin crashed the scooter has his son broke his legs do you think that he's offer to "fix them " for him ?

Bill x
Nah, he would sing The Scientist.

Insert Gwyenth goop jade egg joke... (hehe, I said insert).
Hooked
2019 Piaggio Liberty 150
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 am quote
I love how every family needs a gas guzzling SUV. Growing up my family (Mom, dad, sister and I) did fine in a Dodge Omni hatchback. Guess big vehicles are the new norm? Anyways, you can ride 2 kids on a Pedego Stretch no problem. Find your nearest Pedego dealer and take the kids on a ride. Cheap to rent for the ride. Also consider a TERN GSD if you have a dealer local.
Enthusiast
2020 Vespa GTS 300 HPE
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:04 am quote
Miguel wrote:
lane-splitting/filtering (which at least in California, is only allowed when there are two or more lanes and allowed only between traffic lanes, not on the road edges)
I thought the rule is you can't leave the roadway, e.g. cross into a bike lane or over a solid line at the shoulder. What limits lane sharing to between multiple lanes going the same direction?
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 am quote
Motovista wrote:
Now, if you need a seat that is for a passenger, and want to do some modification, I think you could put one of these in front, and make it look like it's supposed to be there. Lots to choose from. So, one kid on the front, one on the back, and it looks like everyone has their own seat.
If you get stopped and told you can't do it, then don't do it anymore, but I suspect most LEOs wouldn't have the slightest idea about what to cite you for if they did pull you.

https://sip-scootershop.com/main/base/Results.aspx?t=child+safety+seat&d=(sco,ape,lam,old,px,sma,max,atv,mot)&a=1&sort=0

I LOVE IT! TYSM! It even comes w/ its own "foot pegs!"

Yes, what exactly would the LEO cite you with? That's exactly the angle I was approaching the problem.
sc00ter wrote:
Find your nearest Pedego dealer and take the kids on a ride. Cheap to rent for the ride. Also consider a TERN GSD if you have a dealer local.
Appreciate it, as a friend has Pedego for her toddlers, but it makes no sense to commute 40 mi r/t going 20mph on one w/o freeway use. Not a remotely viable option.
Hooked
2020 GTS HPE 300, 2013 GTS 300ie
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 pm quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
Illegal! No need for discussion. Use the car for kids.
No it isn’t. 100% legal to have a child on a scooter or motorcycle in my state. Takes a 5 second Google search to show its not illegal
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:04 am quote
I've done it.
In Mexico which is N.A.
Hooked
2008 MP3 400
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:05 am quote
My daughter started riding with me at age 3.
The Colorado rules state helmet & feet touch.
I put traction pads on my MP3 rear side fenders.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.1503s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0593s) ][ Debug on ]