[SSR] Local Tourism Bike Pics
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Thank you.

Now how about those pics in front of the Whitehouse ?

Sorry the thread had to go to crap all. This place was better for a bit and lately seems to have regressed a little. Nothing against the mods, they do what they can.
Making a special trip down there Sunday for you
Will see how close I can get. Penn Ave is closed and Constitution Ave isn't real close, but there is an parking area for While House Employees I am going to try and get access too to take some pics. If not they will be from the Ellipse across from the White House.
I was down by the Martin Luther King Monument and had a great shot of the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Monument and didn't take any pics.

Wonder if my buddies brother this works in the White House?
Hooked
2020 GTS HPE 300, 2013 GTS 300ie
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 am quote
While we have many tourist attractions here in San Diego, the beach is #1 on the list for the majority of them. I am at the end of Mission Beach, right across the entrance channel from Ocean Beach. If you can see the teeny specks on the sand in the background, you are looking at Dog Beach where my in-laws love to go and dog watch when they visit. Now that I have a scooter buddy, we'll start taking more photos around town.

IMG_0214.jpg

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:45 am quote
Arsenal!

AK550 at Arsena2l.jpg

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:46 am quote
Another

AK550 at Arsenal.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Modded Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:54 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Thank you.

Now how about those pics in front of the Whitehouse ?

Sorry the thread had to go to crap all. This place was better for a bit and lately seems to have regressed a little. Nothing against the mods, they do what they can.
Making a special trip down there Sunday for you
Will see how close I can get. Penn Ave is closed and Constitution Ave isn't real close, but there is an parking area for While House Employees I am going to try and get access too to take some pics. If not they will be from the Ellipse across from the White House.
I was down by the Martin Luther King Monument and had a great shot of the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Monument and didn't take any pics.

Wonder if my buddies brother this works in the White House?
Fist off sdscooterista, love the pic and man that beach looks SO nice to me right about now.

See what you can get WEB-Tech, I'm sure it isn't that easy to get too close on a vehicle.

I was going to try and get a good shot in Front of St Lawrence Market today but the parking sucked and I wound up a block south. I guess The Canadian Tourism board or something like that was filming a special in the market and that made parking worse than usual. There were notices on all the doors that by entering you agreed to be on film. So maybe me wearing a REV'IT!! sand 3 in Feb will make the cut..

Oh and yes it would be with the Ural as it is freezing cold here and black ice as we've had snow recently with a melt off. Much safer with the winter tires and 3rd wheel. Not to mention the extra grocery room. Tomorrow I hope to get out early and should be able to get a good shot.

Keep the photos coming, I think this is fun and gets us to know each other a bit and where we live. Maybe it would have been better to start it in the summer as I know a lot of scoots are currently sitting with battery tenders attached.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:57 am quote
ashbrook wrote:
Another
That's a nice looking scoot. Pic too of course but the lighting really works with the colour of the bike. Definitely a more aggressive profile than the C650.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm quote
ashbrook wrote:
Another
That is a really nice shot!!
Moto Giro Titan
2009 GTS 250 Super Lucrezia Borgia, 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada, Little Big Red
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:49 pm quote
Not really a tourist spot, but the mighty Ohio River makes a convenient backdrop for some scooter pix. Lewis and Clark came through here on the way to Louisville, KY in the early days of our state. They were sort of early tourists.

DCAC5BD3-A73E-401C-8ABB-174C2FAE83EC.jpeg

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:03 am quote
Miguel wrote:
ashbrook wrote:
Another
That is a really nice shot!!
Thanks guys! I had to wait around for the light to be just right!
Will try to get a few more scenic shots as soon as Hurricane Dennis has passed.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:26 am quote
Old City Hall, one of the side enterences. It's been under renovation for years but they are almost done. The new City Hall the one you see in movies and TV shows that looks like a spaceship is right behind it. The Financial District is to the south The Toronto Eaton Centre across the street from the bike. I'm here buying a gift for my spouses birthday.

Oops! Sideways. I'll fix it when I'm not on my phone.

*EDIT* Fixed Photo

OCH.jpg

Last edited by Harbinger on Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:47 am quote
Gorgeous stone design!! Nice shot.
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:14 pm quote
I live in Santa Cruz CA, about 75 miles south of San Francisco on Monterey Bay. See picture below at the end of this post. I have titled the picture of my bike: "Still Life with 2009 Vespa GTV, Inder Trailer and 5.5 MegaWatt Power Plant".

Monterey Bay is 30 miles across the bay from Santa Cruz to Monterey. The bay is more like raw ocean in many places but there are plenty of beaches all around the bay. Monterey Bay has a huge, deep canyon over mile deep in places that attracts all sorts of marine life. Don't miss this video of a woman, surfboard and humpback whale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoP1N0OyFic

This happened a few years ago. The Santa Cruz boardwalk amusement park is in the background, which has either the tallest or longest or oldest wooden roller coaster in the US (I think).

Elkhorn Slough is a continuation of the canyon on land and runs right next to the power plant. It is a 6-8 mile long body of water with all sorts of birds, sea otters, seals and other things. Kayaking is fantastic. It's all protected and much of it owned by the Nature Conservancy, one of my favorite charities that buys land and let it go wild. The animals take care of themselves.

To the north of us are the Santa Cruz Mountains with fantastic scooter/motorcycle riding roads through the redwoods. Lots to do and see in the Monterey Bay Area. I'll post more in the next week or so.

Best
Miguel

PS. My GTV got totaled and I now ride my 2001 BMW R1100RT motorcycle exclusively. The Inder trailer is for sale if you are interested and include a hitch for a GTV/GTS with Vespa crash bars.

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 12.15.36 PM.png

Last edited by Miguel on Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 pm quote
A bit more on Elkhorn Slough (said slew). I rode out there today and took a few shots and stole a few other shots from the web. See picture below.

Elkhorn Slough is a huge tourist draw for people to kayak and get close to wildlife. And there's lot of birding and beached seals. About 15 years ago my bro and I kayaked the entire length and back in one day. I know this because we rented kayaks by the bay and ended up under that train bridge. It wasn't till last year that I knew trains still ran on the line.

The Southern Sea Otters are a huge draw because their population is relatively low, just about 3000 over about a 100 mile range along a 2 km band hugging the central coast of California. I almost always see one or more in the Bay when I'm by the water. I've seen as many 80 at one time in Elkhorn Slough. That was an amazing sight.

The power plant, indicated on the map in red, is where I photoed my Vespa in the post above.

Best
Miguel

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 7.01.56 PM.png

Hooked
'81 P200E, '80 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:19 pm quote
South Toward The Border
I rode down to Rio Rico, AZ with some friends yesterday. On the ride back, I stopped to snap pictures of the Tumacacori mission, which was founded by Padre Kino prior to Mission San Xavier.

Padre Kino founded a mission in Tumacacori in 1691 as his expedition travelled north along the Santa Cruz River Valley. The mission was initially protected by the presidio at Tubac, located several miles downriver towards Tucson. As the missionaries proceeded northward, the presidio garrison moved to Tucson and the Tumacacori mission became more vulnerable to native incursions.

Construction of the church at Tumacacori began in 1800, but the war for Mexican independence and lack of funds inhibited construction. The last Jesuit priest was recalled to Spain in 1828 and harsh conditions drove the missionaries and settlers from the area in 1848.

Tumacacori was declared a National Monument by Theodore Roosevelt in 1908 and restoration efforts have been made to preserve the ruins of the mission and surrounding settlement.

Tumacacori Sign Small.jpg
Sign for the Park

Tumacacori Mission Small.jpg
Mission church. Filthy sun-baked Yamaha for scale.

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:18 am quote
Greenwich
Greenwich earlier today. Wolfe's Statue

ak at greenwich1.jpg

Last edited by ashbrook on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:19 am quote
more from greenwich
greenwich 2 showing the Greenwich observatory where some of the meridian line is kept!

ak at greenwich2.jpg

Last edited by ashbrook on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:20 am quote
greenwich 3
another showing the General and the Observatory

ak at greenwich4.jpg

Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:28 am quote
Greenwich 4
Hopefully the University of Greenwich, my alma mater, formally the Royal naval College

Greenwich 5.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:48 am quote
Hopefully get some pictures in Washington DC next weekend.
It was cold a cloudy this past weekend till around 3:00 PM on Sunday in which case I would have run downtown. But some Low Life hacker poised a DOS attack against a customer and I had to go into the Data Center to assist to get their environment back under their control.
Scum Bag ASS HAT Hackers
Hang them all from the yardarm so we can throw rocks at them.
Ossessionato
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:09 pm quote
Thanks for that Ashbrook. I'd never been here but have read about time and clocks over the years. Nice to see it. What did you study there?

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:41 pm quote
This from a post a few years ago. Not my bike but my shot down the street from my house. I titled it "Scoot, Surf, Skate." Its a bit hard to see the skateboard behind the backseat.

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:16 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
I live in Santa Cruz CA, about 75 miles south of San Francisco on Monterey Bay. See picture below at the end of this post. I have titled the picture of my bike: "Still Life with 2009 Vespa GTV, Inder Trailer and 5.5 MegaWatt Power Plant".

Monterey Bay is 30 miles across the bay from Santa Cruz to Monterey. The bay is more like raw ocean in many places but there are plenty of beaches all around the bay. Monterey Bay has a huge, deep canyon over mile deep in places that attracts all sorts of marine life. Don't miss this video of a woman, surfboard and humpback whale.

This happened a few years ago. The Santa Cruz boardwalk amusement park is in the background, which has either the tallest or longest or oldest wooden roller coaster in the US (I think).

Elkhorn Slough is a continuation of the canyon on land and runs right next to the power plant. It is a 6-8 mile long body of water with all sorts of birds, sea otters, seals and other things. Kayaking is fantastic. It's all protected and much of it owned by the Nature Conservancy, one of my favorite charities that buys land and let it go wild. The animals take care of themselves.

To the north of us are the Santa Cruz Mountains with fantastic scooter/motorcycle riding roads through the redwoods. Lots to do and see in the Monterey Bay Area. I'll post more in the next week or so.

Best
Miguel

PS. My GTV got totaled and I now ride my 2001 BMW R1100RT motorcycle exclusively. The Inder trailer is for sale if you are interested and include a hitch for a GTV/GTS with Vespa crash bars.
Interesting pictures all, thanks for sharing!

About that whale video - what impresses me most are the reactions of the people near the whale. I could see myself paddling quite fast towards the shore...I know the whale would not probably go after a human, but darn it's big!
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:07 am quote
RRider wrote:
Miguel wrote:

Best
Miguel

Interesting pictures all, thanks for sharing!

About that whale video - what impresses me most are the reactions of the people near the whale. I could see myself paddling quite fast towards the shore...I know the whale would not probably go after a human, but darn it's big!
They are huge!! Humpback whales show up in Monterey Bay about once a year but not always. They usually follow their prey. There's always lots of craft out on the water when they show up. So even tho there were only a couple people in the video, there were lots of others around. I'm sure all those that were close by were stunned including the woman on the surfboard. And actually, if the whale fell on her or any other boat, its likely people will die.

Humpbacks hunt small fish in packs. The pack swims deep and then swim in a circle while blowing bubbles and then tighten the circle to surround fish and then launch straight up through the middle of fish with mouths wide open.

We have other whales as well such as California Grey Whales twice a year as they migrate from the Arctic to Mexico in Jan and back to the Arctic in the summer. Killer Whales are not that uncommon tho I've never seen one and Blue whales in the bay are not unheard of. There are occasionally some other exotics. See my next post for a bit more on whales in the area.

Best
Miguel
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:31 am quote
Seeing the whales is big bucket list item for us. We're retiring to Victoria BC in the not too distant future so won't have too far to go. I'm sure they are magnificent to see in person and even IMAX would not be able to do them justice.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:09 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
Seeing the whales is big bucket list item for us. We're retiring to Victoria BC in the not too distant future so won't have too far to go. I'm sure they are magnificent to see in person and even IMAX would not be able to do them justice.
Run down to cape cod they have whale watching boats.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:32 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Thanks, maybe one day. Right now we can't go away overnight together as we have a 15 year old dog. She is too old for anyone to want the responsibility of watching her. Crossing the border is right out as she is missing one shot required. She is a 3 1/2 pd yorkie and one of the shots is too hard on really small dogs and shouldn't be required.
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:37 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Thanks, maybe one day. Right now we can't go away overnight together as we have a 15 year old dog. She is too old for anyone to want the responsibility of watching her. Crossing the border is right out as she is missing one shot required. She is a 3 1/2 pd yorkie and one of the shots is too hard on really small dogs and shouldn't be required.
Harbinger, My neice is a vet-tech and she often looks after people's animals while they are away. Sometimes she housesits for them. You could reach out to your or other vets to see if that might be a possibility for you in the future. My neice is in Florida so she's not a possibility for you.

Best
Miguel
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:03 pm quote
Miguel wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
Harbinger, My neice is a vet-tech and she often looks after people's animals while they are away. Sometimes she housesits for them. You could reach out to your or other vets to see if that might be a possibility for you in the future. My neice is in Florida so she's not a possibility for you.

Best
Miguel
Thanks and I know we can get someone like that to watch both our dogs. Hell our building has a vet literally attached to it that would do it and we have a pet supply/doggie daycare facility in the entrance to the roundabout that goes down to our parking. We live right Downtown Toronto and across the street from a park (they're rare) which is why we have both so close. I could probably leave her with someone but my wife would worry the whole time and anyone that has a SO that worries about something while you are away will understand what kind of downer that can be. Until then Ontario is beautiful and we've already booked our 3 cottage rentals for the summer. Funny we got our current 3 year old Yorkie as we figured Shiela couldn't be around that much longer and wanted 2 dogs close in age. However she is being really stubborn about leaving this mortal coil and doing great for a dog her age . Just to spite us I think

Oh boy have we gone OT. In the next day or so I will try and get shot in front of the Rogers Centre (SkyDome) that you can see in the background of this pic I took today when I parked by the office.

Shhh... here's a secret.... just trying to sneak another pic of the Ural in. Hope no-one's eyes bleed as a result.

*EDIT*

Here is a pic of the old girl I took after posting this. Looks pretty good for 15! If you're wondering about the champaign cork the younger one loves playing with them and will start wagging her tail like crazy as soon as she sees us grab a bottle . We're fine, but we think she may have a problem...

IMG_1452.jpeg

S-Pic.jpg

Last edited by Harbinger on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:41 pm quote
Last time I moved, it was to Santa Cruz. I had just finished graduate school and a year of additional study. I had three criteria for places to move to: It had to be in California near the ocean, have a university and be where other people go for vacation. That basically pointed to four locations: Santa Cruz, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara. I'd was an undergrad in LA and decided that wasn't quite my style. A few other factors drew me to Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz is home to one of the 10 University of California campuses. They have huge and well regarded biology program. Amongst the discipline is a Coastal Marine Sciences which opened a huge complex of buildings on the ocean and is on one of my regular bike rides. They have number activities that attract locals as well as out-of-town tourists.

Surfing is another huge draw.

I took these yesterday.

Best
Miguel

Screen Shot 2020-02-18 at 12.22.33 PM.png

IMG_0904.jpeg
Waves about head-high. They can get as large as 18' during winter storms. Amazing that I bought a seagull in that picture.

IMG_0895.jpeg
This is me in front of one of the most complete Blue Whale skeleton's that washed up on shore in the late 1970's. (Harbinger did say BIKE photos!)

IMG_0900.jpeg
This is a California Gray Whale, about 2/3rds the size of the Blue Whale.

There are lots of other whale bones laying about.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:11 pm quote
Great pics! Thanks and looks a lot warmer and less snowy than here .
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS Kymco AK550
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:23 am quote
Emirates Cable car
This goes across the Thames at a height of about 300ft between the Royal Docks near Canning Town and the Greenwich Peninsula.

20200221_095819.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 am quote
Re: Emirates Cable car
ashbrook wrote:
This goes across the Thames at a height of about 300ft between the Royal Docks near Canning Town and the Greenwich Peninsula.
That's awesome!

I almost forgot, I took this pic today when I parked for a Dr's appt. My office and condo are less than a 10 minute walk from where I took this. The landmark is obviously the CN Tower in the background. Almost took the Vespa out today but had to pick up a few things and needed the storage.

IMG_1459.jpeg

Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:16 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Last time I moved, it was to Santa Cruz. I had just finished graduate school and a year of additional study. I had three criteria for places to move to: It had to be in California near the ocean, have a university and be where other people go for vacation. That basically pointed to four locations: Santa Cruz, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Barbara. I'd was an undergrad in LA and decided that wasn't quite my style. A few other factors drew me to Santa Cruz.

Santa Cruz is home to one of the 10 University of California campuses. They have huge and well regarded biology program. Amongst the discipline is a Coastal Marine Sciences which opened a huge complex of buildings on the ocean and is on one of my regular bike rides. They have number activities that attract locals as well as out-of-town tourists.

Surfing is another huge draw.

I took these yesterday.

Best
Miguel
I love Santa Cruz. One of the best coastal towns California has to offer. I was just there a weeks ago dropping off my son and his buddies at the Boardwalk. Since we were in town my wife and I stopped at Mackenzies Chocolates. So good!
Ossessionato
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:37 pm quote
I'm in Isla de Mujeres (Island of the Women) in the Caribbean, just off the Yucatan Peninsula and Cancun for the next 2.5 weeks so thought I'd post a few pics from there of unusual "Motos" I see here. Moto aren't a life-style but a way of life here like many places in the world.

Miguel

IMG_0938.jpeg
Efff the rain, I'm covered.

Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2570s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0536s) ][ Debug on ]