Tickover adjustment
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Addicted
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 1002
Location: St Neots Cambridgeshire England
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:41 am quote
Is it possible to change the tickover speed on my GTS? I feel it's ticking over just a little fast, and I just need it slowing down a little.. I'm not going to worry if I can't - just asking if it's possible?

Graham
Member
2006 Vespa LX150, 2011 Honda PCX 125
Joined: 17 Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Location: Southern Utah
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:10 am quote
What is tickover?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6155
Location: New Zealand
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:45 am quote
utahusker wrote:
What is tickover?
Idle
Member
2006 Vespa LX150, 2011 Honda PCX 125
Joined: 17 Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Location: Southern Utah
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:38 pm quote
znomit wrote:
utahusker wrote:
What is tickover?
Idle
Okay, Thank You
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 5780
Location: NWAOK
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:39 pm quote
You can turn it down, but is it ticking over faster than the people who made it say it should, or faster than you think it should? And how did you arrive at this conclusion?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5597
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04 pm quote
Anything ticking over slower than full rear wheel engagement is fine, or am I missing something?
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 5780
Location: NWAOK
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:16 pm quote
Hopefully tickover won't join curry hook in the lexicon of the American PTWAV.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 5597
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:25 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Hopefully tickover won't join curry hook in the lexicon of the American PTWAV.
Why? I like curry.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3131
Location: Bangkok
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm quote
The correct speed is about 1650 rpm (1800 for a 150) which is a bit higher than cage drivers are used to.

If the bike is on the stand and it ticks over without the rear wheel turning then it is OK.

Like with all modern vehicles the speed is controlled by the ECU.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6155
Location: New Zealand
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:37 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Hopefully tickover won't join curry hook in the lexicon of the American PTWAV.
Why? I like curry.
Next Moto will be telling us Pet Carrier isnít the correct term either.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3131
Location: Bangkok
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:44 pm quote
znomit wrote:
utahusker wrote:
What is tickover?
Idle
Brits use idle to describe people or land. But land is fallow so mostly only people are idle.

They use tickoevr for things mechanical. Except Rolls Royce which don't tick.

Just wondering if US stopped using tickover with the introduction of hydraulic lifters?

What is PTWAV?
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 4135
Location: Santa Cruz California
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:03 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Hopefully tickover won't join curry hook in the lexicon of the American PTWAV.
Why? I like curry.
Me too! And tickover is more descriptive than idle to my mind.

We've been bastardizing the King's English for 300+ years. I've no problem being reminded of our etymological roots on occasion. Its like filtering vs lane-splitting, analogue vs analog, colour vs color, tyre vs tire, lorry vs truck, aluminum vs aluminum... and the list goes on. 😁

Cheers!
Miguel
Hooked
'81 P200E, '80 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 187
Location: Tucson, AZ
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:17 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
What is PTWAV?
Powered-Two-Wheeler-Accepted-Vocabulary/Vernacular?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Joined: 12 Oct 2007
Posts: 6155
Location: New Zealand
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
znomit wrote:
utahusker wrote:
What is tickover?
Idle
Brits use idle to describe people or land. But land is fallow so mostly only people are idle.

They use tickoevr for things mechanical. Except Rolls Royce which don't tick.

Just wondering if US stopped using tickover with the introduction of hydraulic lifters?
Lyme disease.
Addicted
150 Sprint Veloce,Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 1002
Location: St Neots Cambridgeshire England
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 am quote
waspmike wrote:
The correct speed is about 1650 rpm (1800 for a 150) which is a bit higher than cage drivers are used to.

If the bike is on the stand and it ticks over without the rear wheel turning then it is OK.

Like with all modern vehicles the speed is controlled by the ECU.
Cheers for that! I thought it was controlled by the ECU- I'll leave it as it is!

Graham
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:56 am quote
znomit wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Hopefully tickover won't join curry hook in the lexicon of the American PTWAV.
Why? I like curry.
Next Moto will be telling us Pet Carrier isnít the correct term either.
... but what does the pet carrier mean other than transportation ...?
Does idle mean minimum rpm?
I'm confused...
Miguel wrote:
We've been bastardizing the King's English for 300+ years. I've no problem being reminded of our etymological roots on occasion. Its like filtering vs lane-splitting, analogue vs analog, colour vs color, tyre vs tire, lorry vs truck, aluminum vs aluminum... and the list goes on. 😁

Cheers!
Miguel
Miguel ... the same with written Italian but mixed with vulgar English, what a pity ... but I learn many things with your "equivalent terms"; my knowledge of some technical english terms comes from old aircraft mechanics i worked with.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2380
Location: Starfleet Command Engineering, Southern UK HQ,
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 am quote
Idling the engine in the UK mean the engine is not being worked. The engine is ticking over, no throttle being given!

With the engine hot, as long as the rear wheel is not spinning madly when the bike is on it's centre stand (it can be turning but can be stopped by hand), idle speed is ok. These Vespas idle quite fast, but that's fine, they are a short stroke engine which needs to idle fast.

Do not attempt to alter the idling speed. As said, it's controlled by the ecu.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:01 am quote
Stromrider wrote:
Idling the engine in the UK mean the engine is not being worked. The engine is ticking over, no throttle being given!

With the engine hot, as long as the rear wheel is not spinning madly when the bike is on it's centre stand (it can be turning but can be stopped by hand), idle speed is ok. These Vespas idle quite fast, but that's fine, they are a short stroke engine which needs to idle fast.

Do not attempt to alter the idling speed. As said, it's controlled by the ecu.
Almost all the small modern single-cylinder engines are with square measurements (equal stroke and equal bore), this guarantees regularity of revolutions, good dynamic balancing but to keep the size small the flywheels are small; constant overcoming of the upper and lower "dead spots" requires a slightly higher "idle" speed.
Otherwise the engine "sobs" and this is what I think we wanted to highlight.
Ossessionato
2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs/asr/ess Settantesimo '70'
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 2380
Location: Starfleet Command Engineering, Southern UK HQ,
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 am quote
Absolutely correct Attila. Nicely put.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7915
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:28 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Its like filtering vs lane-splitting
Actually these two are not the same. Filtering is moving to the front of stopped traffic at a light. Lane splitting is riding the center line threw moving traffic.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 am quote
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 5780
Location: NWAOK
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 am quote
Miguel wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Hopefully tickover won't join curry hook in the lexicon of the American PTWAV.
Why? I like curry.
Me too! And tickover is more descriptive than idle to my mind.

We've been bastardizing the King's English for 300+ years. I've no problem being reminded of our etymological roots on occasion. Its like filtering vs lane-splitting, analogue vs analog, colour vs color, tyre vs tire, lorry vs truck, aluminum vs aluminum... and the list goes on. 😁

Cheers!
Miguel
So, in the entire time you've owned your vespa, how many times have you hung a takeaway (not takeout) curry on the hook, or gancio di curry, to use the language they speak where they make the thing? We call the plastics Tupperware for the same reason they call it a curry hook. Pet carrier came into being because of the "no pets" sticker, and is not derived from the customs or culture of one geographical region, unless there is a place where they speak English and stick a lot of cats under the seats of Vespas.
As far as bastardizing the King's English, it was them, not us. The odds are that someone from England 300 years ago would not only be very old, but also have an accent more like that of an American today than a Brit. So in the US, you could say, "English, keeping it real since 1776." Speakers in most of the Commonwealth countries have a non-rhotic accent that is more closely aligned with that of England today because they were exposed to English, particularly that of the ruling class (where the whole "drop the R and you'll sound posh," idea started after we sent them packing,) long after we were in the US.
The spelling differences has more to do with compliers of the first dictionaries that were widely accepted in either country. There were a lot of people spelling the same words a lot of different ways in both places prior to this.
And that concludes today's lesson.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 11037
Location: Oregon City, OR
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:58 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
As far as bastardizing the King's English, it was them, not us. The odds are that someone from England 300 years ago would not only be very old, but also have an accent more like that of an American today than a Brit. So in the US, you could say, "English, keeping it real since 1776." Speakers in most of the Commonwealth countries have a non-rhotic accent that is more closely aligned with that of England today because they were exposed to English, particularly that of the ruling class (where the whole "drop the R and you'll sound posh," idea started after we sent them packing,) long after we were in the US.
Except they (we?) drop the R's in Boston and you'd think that would be as close to 1776 as you could come.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 7915
Location: Ashburn, Va. Home to the Internet
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:42 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Pet carrier came into being because of the "no pets" sticker, and is not derived from the customs or culture of one geographical region, unless there is a place where they speak English and stick a lot of cats under the seats of Vespas.
It's those damn cat jugglers that required Vespa to add the No Pets stickers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bGVT4-1DBU
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 5780
Location: NWAOK
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:27 pm quote
Dooglas wrote:
Motovista wrote:
As far as bastardizing the King's English, it was them, not us. The odds are that someone from England 300 years ago would not only be very old, but also have an accent more like that of an American today than a Brit. So in the US, you could say, "English, keeping it real since 1776." Speakers in most of the Commonwealth countries have a non-rhotic accent that is more closely aligned with that of England today because they were exposed to English, particularly that of the ruling class (where the whole "drop the R and you'll sound posh," idea started after we sent them packing,) long after we were in the US.
Except they (we?) drop the R's in Boston and you'd think that would be as close to 1776 as you could come.
Coastal towns, particularly in the NE, got a lot of Irish immigrants, who had picked up the non-rhotic accent by the time they immigrated and formed large communities upon arrival. The regions of the US that have a non-rhotic aspect to their speech do so primarily because of much later immigration from the UK and Eire.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 3131
Location: Bangkok
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:47 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Motovista wrote:
As far as bastardizing the King's English, it was them, not us. The odds are that someone from England 300 years ago would not only be very old, but also have an accent more like that of an American today than a Brit. So in the US, you could say, "English, keeping it real since 1776." Speakers in most of the Commonwealth countries have a non-rhotic accent that is more closely aligned with that of England today because they were exposed to English, particularly that of the ruling class (where the whole "drop the R and you'll sound posh," idea started after we sent them packing,) long after we were in the US.
Except they (we?) drop the R's in Boston and you'd think that would be as close to 1776 as you could come.
Coastal towns, particularly in the NE, got a lot of Irish immigrants, who had picked up the non-rhotic accent by the time they immigrated and formed large communities upon arrival. The regions of the US that have a non-rhotic aspect to their speech do so primarily because of much later immigration from the UK and Eire.
Bostonian American comes from the East of England (East Anglia) which is where the expelled religious nutters came from who landed in Plymouth. Northern accents derive from them.

In contrast the Roanoke settlers were with Raleigh and came mostly from the West Country of England. Which is where the southern drawl evolves from.
Yes the East Anglians docked in Plymouth for repairs but had to leave one ship behind. So there is some irony in the naming of the northern settlement.

In 1776 the Brits decided to sacrifice the 13? colonies in favour of guarding Jamaica from the French. The value of Jamaican sugar was deemed more valuable than the Colonies.

Mr Webster with his dictionary is responsible for all the lazy, or if one likes simplified, spelling.

Two peoples separated by a common language. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b05pbwjp

And that concludes today's lesson.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer, 2001 BMW R1100RT
Joined: 24 Jun 2009
Posts: 4135
Location: Santa Cruz California
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:40 pm quote
waspmike wrote:
Motovista wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Motovista wrote:
As far as bastardizing the King's English, it was them, not us. The odds are that someone from England 300 years ago would not only be very old, but also have an accent more like that of an American today than a Brit. So in the US, you could say, "English, keeping it real since 1776." Speakers in most of the Commonwealth countries have a non-rhotic accent that is more closely aligned with that of England today because they were exposed to English, particularly that of the ruling class (where the whole "drop the R and you'll sound posh," idea started after we sent them packing,) long after we were in the US.
Except they (we?) drop the R's in Boston and you'd think that would be as close to 1776 as you could come.
Coastal towns, particularly in the NE, got a lot of Irish immigrants, who had picked up the non-rhotic accent by the time they immigrated and formed large communities upon arrival. The regions of the US that have a non-rhotic aspect to their speech do so primarily because of much later immigration from the UK and Eire.
Bostonian American comes from the East of England (East Anglia) which is where the expelled religious nutters came from who landed in Plymouth. Northern accents derive from them.

In contrast the Roanoke settlers were with Raleigh and came mostly from the West Country of England. Which is where the southern drawl evolves from.
Yes the East Anglians docked in Plymouth for repairs but had to leave one ship behind. So there is some irony in the naming of the northern settlement.

In 1776 the Brits decided to sacrifice the 13? colonies in favour of guarding Jamaica from the French. The value of Jamaican sugar was deemed more valuable than the Colonies.

Mr Webster with his dictionary is responsible for all the lazy, or if one likes simplified, spelling.

Two peoples separated by a common language. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b05pbwjp

And that concludes today's lesson.
Thanks for the lesson. I grew up in Boston (Medford specifically) in Irish/Italian/English neighborhoods. My father's family arrive in Massachusetts from Ireland during the Potato Famine in the late 1840s. My mum's ancestors arrived in Bedford Massachusetts from Plymouth England in 1635 (I'm the 17th generation from Boston but we've all left for greener pastures years ago). I've mostly lost my lazy "r"s. When I first left Boston at 19, I had to learn to talk another language working in a factory on the western edge of West Virginia. Most people couldn't understand what I was saying.

How do you guys know so much about this??

Best
Miguel
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:30 am quote
This topic has taken a very interesting direction in my eyes, i am very interested in the evolutions and branches of the various languages because of the many dialects present in Italy; they are often real languages separate from the common Italian such that they are not understood or only in a small part.
You, i think i understand, are talking about accents and small terminologies but the structure of English is such that it lends itself to maximum simplification, you have many terms given by the union of two words as in the German language, here not ... a new word is created by literally merging the syllables, this until the arrival of the internet which introduced the English terms through an interpretative syllogism which is then adopted by the web. I consider it an initially involutionary mechanism that over time will lead to an evolution of a new form of common language. I hope i have written it correctly, it is a complex reasoning and I apologize.
Member
MP3
Joined: 03 Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Location: Alberta
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:18 pm quote
whats tockunder then?
Hooked
'81 P200E, '80 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 187
Location: Tucson, AZ
Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:56 pm quote
MBurgos73 wrote:
whats tockunder then?
Big end bearing failure.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:56 pm quote
az_slynch wrote:
MBurgos73 wrote:
whats tockunder then?
Big end bearing failure.
What is the "big end" bearing? Is there a drawing? I'm really interested...
Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, (Both NZ new Airco assembled), Francesca, 2006 Vespa LX150, Sofia, 2007 Vespa GT200
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 1290
Location: Hamilton, NZ
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:25 am quote
The big end bearing is the larger of the 2 in the connecting rod and goes around the crankshaft.
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:35 am quote
I understand, we are talking about the bearing of the connecting rod head; the head it is also decomposable in some cases. Thanks.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1693s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0616s) ][ Debug on ]