need some help with a move
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1320
Location: IL
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:16 pm quote
So the wife and I are considering moving, at least part time to AZ. I want to move my Vespa 300 super 2012. We are thinking about getting a POD for some off the move and they told me today that if I empty the gas I can put the Vespa in the POD.

So the questions I have are, has anyone ever done that? Is it safe to run the Vespa gas down till empty?

Any others ideas about that would be helpful

thanks


larry
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Joined: 04 Feb 2013
Posts: 5780
Location: NWAOK
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:42 pm quote
You want to drain it with a siphon, not run it until it dies. Shee what's printed from the company regarding this, because usually they let you do it if you have a quarter tank or less, and disconnect the battery. Also, they usually don't check any of this.
Even if you run it until it dies, there is still gas in the tank.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 3549
Location: Tempe, AZ
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:34 pm quote
Where are you moving to in the Grand Canyon State, LarryMK?
Hooked
'81 P200E, '80 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
Joined: 27 Mar 2014
Posts: 187
Location: Tucson, AZ
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:14 pm quote
Syd wrote:
Where are you moving to in the Grand Canyon State, LarryMK?
Seems like most Illinois folks seem to land in the Paradise Valley area. Can't blame 'em for it.

Hit us desert critters up when you want to go touring. Plenty of scenic rides here.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1320
Location: IL
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm quote
so we are thinking of moving to Scottsdale not Paradise Valley, a bit more there than I want or need. I will be looking for riding there but not sure when all of this will happen, just exploring for now Thanks for the info.

larry
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'07 LX150 (Sold), '17 GTS300, '16 BV350, '15 EN650, '09 FXDF
Joined: 26 Jul 2017
Posts: 5397
Location: Home of the Alamo
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:12 pm quote
Guzzi Gal started a scooter club in the Phoenix area that does weekly rides. You may want to consider joining their Facebook group if you do end up making the move.

https://www.facebook.com/SonoranSunridersScooterClub/
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1320
Location: IL
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:31 pm quote
thanks I will look into that facebook page


larry
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 am quote
If you have no fillings in your teeth and you are fast, you can suck the petrol out with a hose passing through the filler cap ...
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:48 am quote
Motovista wrote:
You want to drain it with a siphon, not run it until it dies. Shee what's printed from the company regarding this, because usually they let you do it if you have a quarter tank or less, and disconnect the battery. Also, they usually don't check any of this.
Even if you run it until it dies, there is still gas in the tank.
Years ago a friend used a lighter to see if he had sucked it all up ... they are still looking for the pieces.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1320
Location: IL
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:33 pm quote
Attila wrote:
Motovista wrote:
You want to drain it with a siphon, not run it until it dies. Shee what's printed from the company regarding this, because usually they let you do it if you have a quarter tank or less, and disconnect the battery. Also, they usually don't check any of this.
Even if you run it until it dies, there is still gas in the tank.
Years ago a friend used a lighter to see if he had sucked it all up ... they are still looking for the pieces.
thank god I don't have a lighter
Addicted
2006 GT200L "Lone Star"
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 533
Location: Texas
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:24 pm quote
Make sure:

A. Your GTS can't tip over or scoot around on the floor. Secure it to the wall or floor.

B. Nothing can fall on/against your GTS.

You'd be surprised how much movement takes place inside one of those PODS when it's being transported. Zero G railroad track humps, transverse G curving on and off ramps, emergency stops, etc. can turn the insides of a cargo container into a blender.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7709
Location: KS USA
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:35 pm quote
Who is your wife? Is she a member? Why are you mentioning her? What's her name?

Just make sure your bike is not on the center stand while moving.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1320
Location: IL
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:45 pm quote
so wife not a member just we are a team and go together, just trying to see if this is an ok way to bring scooter


larry
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7709
Location: KS USA
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:48 pm quote
LarryMK wrote:
so wife not a member just we are a team and go together, just trying to see if this is an ok way to bring scooter


larry
You and your wife are team? Seriously? Not a couple!
Molto Verboso
Xmax 300
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 1406
Location: Adelaide
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm quote
Wrap it in a blanket so it doesn't get scratched. (How many people on this site are not taking their meds?)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Posts: 7709
Location: KS USA
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 pm quote
Sledge wrote:
Wrap it in a blanket so it doesn't get scratched. (How many people on this site are not taking their meds?)
Maybe you should be on meds.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 3549
Location: Tempe, AZ
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:37 pm quote
Jet Peddler wrote:
Guzzi Gal started a scooter club in the Phoenix area that does weekly rides. You may want to consider joining their Facebook group if you do end up making the move.

https://www.facebook.com/SonoranSunridersScooterClub/
Or the Sunriders' Meetup site: https://www.meetup.com/Sonoran-Sunriders-Scooter-Club/
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Moto Guzzi Airone 250 Sport 1951
Joined: 21 Jul 2007
Posts: 2555
Location: Latina (Italy)
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:12 am quote
25BIKEZ wrote:
Make sure:

A. Your GTS can't tip over or scoot around on the floor. Secure it to the wall or floor.

B. Nothing can fall on/against your GTS.

You'd be surprised how much movement takes place inside one of those PODS when it's being transported. Zero G railroad track humps, transverse G curving on and off ramps, emergency stops, etc. can turn the insides of a cargo container into a blender.
It is also for this reason that the filler cap has a vent hole, it lets the tank breathe when it sucks fuel and when it shakes.
Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300
Joined: 24 Mar 2013
Posts: 1320
Location: IL
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:27 pm quote
so thanks for all the info
Yes I will secure the Vespa and protect it from being banged.
Yes my wife and I are a team.... and a couple
I am excited about the riding group opportunities in AZ, I love to ride but have not been able to find a group where I now live to ride, also while still working don't have a ton of free time.

When I go to AZ I will be moving towards retirement and hope to have more free time to ride and certainly a better climate to ride in. In the Chicago area our riding season is short and often cold or very hot and humid.

But it seems that no one thinks that sending the Vespa in a pod, if reasonably drained of gas and protected is bad and draining the tank of gas should not harm the engine?

thanks


larry
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1524s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0307s) ][ Debug on ]