Bent carburetor conical needle
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Lurker

Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:20 am quote
I have a carb (looks like a Keihin) from a 2005 Vespa GT 200L. The conical needle that goes inside of the slide/diaphragm is bent and clearly needs to be replaced.

My question is: how does this needle get bent and what can I do to avoid it in the future.

Thank you
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:36 am quote
An overly enthusiastic reassembler didn't check to see that it was going down into the hole, and continued forcing the slide down to get the cap back on.

If it's assembled correctly, this doesn't happen.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, Something Chinese
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:07 pm quote
Motovista wrote:
An overly enthusiastic reassembler didn't check to see that it was going down into the hole, and continued forcing the slide down to get the cap back on.

If it's assembled correctly, this doesn't happen.
I have the extra carb in question somewhere. Let me go check.
Lurker

Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 pm quote
Should I replace this needle? I tried to gently make it straight again and it seems to drop into the hole just fine, but I don't know about the tolerances involved and my carburetor is still dripping gas when I attempt to get the scooter running. I did make sure that the diaphragm is properly sealed. Any thoughts on what to look at next?
Hooked
piaggio hexagon
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:53 am quote
I doubt if a bent carburettor needle can be successfully straightened, best replace it. The fuel leakage could be a worn float needle assembly.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2112s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0678s) ][ Debug on ]