@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
Well it looks like I may be one of the lucky ones. I am feeling better. It was scary there for a while, but I guess god has bigger plans for me.

I send a prayer to all those who are struggling with this disease.
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
It's April fool's day which means time to start fiddling with the Vespa again. Some areas are a bit crusty from the rain and have spots of rust where the finish was aparently rubbed off during assembly. I am awaiting delivery of Permatex rust treatment, as well as items from Steve Burdette the "Speedo King", to rebuilt the speedo.

Another problem I noticed was the brake switch appears to be completely ineffective and I don't know how it is supposed to work or even if I installed it correctly. However I see no other way to do so after trying two different types of switches. It appears there is no noticeable movement in the mechanism as the brake is applied. I am tempted to call it a bad design but I may prove to be the culprit. I think I will take the whole thing apart again, which I'm not looking forward to. Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon

I could use some help with regards to this detail.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
you can see the rust spots.
you can see the rust spots.
⚠️ Last edited by nickton on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
Got the speedo parts today and put it together, but it's a bit dissapointing. The faceplate does not line up correctly and the dial doesn't want to stay at zero. I used gasket forming goop to seal it, but now it looks like I'll have to take it apart again, and risk breaking a few more metal tabs that hold on the bezel trim piece. Crying or Very sad emoticon

I'm even considering using the old face plate again, with it's separate metal ring instead of printed on red border. I must need to do something with the delicate spring inside, to add more tension on the dial so it stays at zero somehow. Baaah!

Or just leave it and probably have an incorrectly or non functioning speedo. At least it will look good I guess. I can't even afford a new speedo cable either.
old face plate with red metal rim insert.
old face plate with red metal rim insert.
OP
@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
I worked on the speedo today and figured out how to make the pointer stay at zero, by simply winding it around a few times to tighten the spring tension a bit. Also re-installed the window so it looks better aligned, and re-used the original red metal spacer. Unfortunately I tried cleaning off some gasket gunk with paint thinner and accidentally erased some of the new speedo numbers! AARGH!
I painted on some new numbers by hand. It'll work.

I also re did the brake pedal set up, filing some aluminum off to make the switch work right, and shortening the homemade cable holding arm. Much better now.
pedal before
pedal before
redone pedal. shorter arm looks neater.
redone pedal. shorter arm looks neater.
She's looking good now.
She's looking good now.
assembled speedo.
assembled speedo.
⚠️ Last edited by nickton on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
rebuilt speedo finally installed
I finally got the speedo in, reusing the old cable since it was still functional and just didn't have any remaining plastic covering. Not a huge deal I'm sure, and I made sure to squirt oil into it for lubrication. Judicious use of form a gasket made it water tight as well.
I hope the light works.
I hope the light works.
self portrait
self portrait
OP
@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
I finally got the "brown box" ignition coil and am waiting for spark plug caps to come in. I also got a few "torpedo" style 10 amp fuses, which are not common, and as far as I can tell, only available if you buy a bundle that includes more of the other various sizes. Every other size is available alone, but not the green 10 amp ones. I wish I could get a bunch of just those but no such luck. I'd have to buy the box of all different sizes to get a small amount of the green ones. Or I could buy a box of 100 greenies from Germany (way too many and costing too much). It seems most people use 8 amp ones anyway.

Not sure if I ordered the right spark plugs and caps. There were three different plugs listed for the gs I think. One long and two shorter ones. I order one of each just in case.

I am also doing more painting with one shot colors.

Floor rails will have to wait for now. I don't want to get the cheap set so I have to wait for more money to come through.
OP
@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
the disaster continues.
I finally filled her up with fuel and tried to start it: NOTHING.

Fuel leaks just above the little glass jar, aparently from the tank selector area.

But what really confuses me: I blow a fuse every time I turn the key to the second position.

What could this be? I just don't know.

I guess I"ll have to take apart the elecrical system again.

I blew the only two 10 amp topredo fuses I had. I wish I could buy a bunch of them. Baaaaah! Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Wha? emoticon
⬆️    About 6 months elapsed    ⬇️
OP
@nickton avatar
UTC

Hooked
GS-150 VS4

Hooked
@nickton avatar
GS-150 VS4
UTC quote
A bunch of time has passed since the last post, and I've had a few reality checks about getting this scooter in functional condition, but that's okay. I started a post titled "this gs150 sucks" that some of you may have followed, and now have everything wired up and working except for the headlight. It started twice and died after running briefly. Don't know what it is but think it is a carburetor issue, and possibly timing.
I also replaced the light switch, got a correct tail light, and installed an SIP high flow petcock assembly. Now it looks like I'll need a new carburetor, since rebuilding the old one would be an exercise in futility... So I plan to save my pennies after selling some things, and get a Pollini cp23 I think. It looks like this winter I'll take out the engine again and actually do a partial rebuild, and check out the piston area. I want to install the sip vape 12 v ignition, maybe a new piston and crank, and see what else I can sink money into. New shocks? Brake shoes? Performance exhaust? Clutch? Just thinking.
Anyways, I did more painting and decided to post a picture of what it looks like now:
The black and white dog passed away last month, from cancer.  Her name was honey bunny.
The black and white dog passed away last month, from cancer. Her name was honey bunny.
I'd like to get a real seat cover eventually too
I'd like to get a real seat cover eventually too
front view so far...Maybe I'll get new chrome legshield trim pieces.
front view so far...Maybe I'll get new chrome legshield trim pieces.
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
Wow great news the more pin stripping you do the more I'm liking it your patience is paying off
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0709s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0444s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]