It's April fool's day which means time to start fiddling with the Vespa again. Some areas are a bit crusty from the rain and have spots of rust where the finish was aparently rubbed off during assembly. I am awaiting delivery of Permatex rust treatment, as well as items from Steve Burdette the "Speedo King", to rebuilt the speedo.
Another problem I noticed was the brake switch appears to be completely ineffective and I don't know how it is supposed to work or even if I installed it correctly. However I see no other way to do so after trying two different types of switches. It appears there is no noticeable movement in the mechanism as the brake is applied. I am tempted to call it a bad design but I may prove to be the culprit. I think I will take the whole thing apart again, which I'm not looking forward to.
I could use some help with regards to this detail.
Got the speedo parts today and put it together, but it's a bit dissapointing. The faceplate does not line up correctly and the dial doesn't want to stay at zero. I used gasket forming goop to seal it, but now it looks like I'll have to take it apart again, and risk breaking a few more metal tabs that hold on the bezel trim piece.
I'm even considering using the old face plate again, with it's separate metal ring instead of printed on red border. I must need to do something with the delicate spring inside, to add more tension on the dial so it stays at zero somehow. Baaah!
Or just leave it and probably have an incorrectly or non functioning speedo. At least it will look good I guess. I can't even afford a new speedo cable either.
I worked on the speedo today and figured out how to make the pointer stay at zero, by simply winding it around a few times to tighten the spring tension a bit. Also re-installed the window so it looks better aligned, and re-used the original red metal spacer. Unfortunately I tried cleaning off some gasket gunk with paint thinner and accidentally erased some of the new speedo numbers! AARGH!
I painted on some new numbers by hand. It'll work.
I also re did the brake pedal set up, filing some aluminum off to make the switch work right, and shortening the homemade cable holding arm. Much better now.
redone pedal. shorter arm looks neater.
She's looking good now.
Last edited by nickton on Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
I finally got the speedo in, reusing the old cable since it was still functional and just didn't have any remaining plastic covering. Not a huge deal I'm sure, and I made sure to squirt oil into it for lubrication. Judicious use of form a gasket made it water tight as well.
All Content Copyright 2005-2021 by Modern Vespa. All Rights Reserved.
Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.