Instead of making Coronials....
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:49 am quote
So, what family-friendly, or, um, family-friendly-topic-of-conversation sorts of things are folks doing to keep busy during these times of self-imposed isolation?

Other than that....

Personally, my wife and I are looking to move to a single-story place sometime in this year, maybe next. So we have rather a lot to do inside and outside our current home of 15 years, to get it ready for sale.
I have already done a few things, but today I installed three under-cabinet lights in our kitchen. The prior owners of the home had left the wires installed, dangling from the walls, and now (yup, 15 years later) I finally attached them to something!

The remaining list is long, and will involve lots of paint to drab things up, and some shovel work to level things out in the outdoors, once things thaw.

So, whassup with y'all?

IMG_2110.JPG
That which was....

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:01 pm quote
And that which is....
No more exposed wiring. Back to code we go....

IMG_2122.JPG

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:50 pm quote
We put a new toilet in when we renovated our main bathroom two years ago.

The toilet is a Toto, and it is different than the standard US toilets.

No flapper and a very different filler valve.

Two weeks ago it started running after flushes, requiring the water supply to be turned off between flushes. Kind of a pain.

I called Toto. They are sending a new filler unit, but they also sent a video to show how to clean the unit.

I followed the video, put it back together and it now turns off properly.

And we will soon have a spare.

Bill
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:46 pm quote
Not in isolation....yet, but have an ongoing basement bathroom remodel that got out of hand, so furring out and drywalling a wall, working on a shower unit install...

When that's not moving forward, i'm working on the bed I promised my wife 18 years ago. I'm probably a dozen hours or less from finishing.

Then I just remembered I have a few thousand photos from the past couple years that need to be organized and backed up.....

Maybe quarantine isn't all that bad...

Bed.jpg

Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:27 pm quote
The one-story house is better but better still if without stairs ...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:47 am quote
Attila wrote:
The one-story house is better but better still if without stairs ...
That's the plan. Everything required for living will be on one floor. There will be a basement, for sure. In fact, typically the basement is the same size as the rest of the house, so a single-story house ends up being HUGE if you finish the basement. I'm thinking about finishing part of the basement as an exercise area, and use some of it for a shop. That's if we ever move, which is sort of in the air (despite having made an offer a week ago - turned out the sellers are under water and can't sell, but that's another story).

Anyway, today's was a simple task. I built a pergola on my deck a few years ago (west facing deck; HORRIBLE heat in summer afternoons made it totally unusable to my northern blood). There was some, um, error in measuring that I remedied in the "short term" with blocks of wood holding up a rail. Today I installed metal braces and once painted should at least look ~OK.

And my wife has decided to get into woolen crafts. Like starting from sheared wool, doing the combing, carding, etc. We bought some cards online, but the combs I made for her ($5 homemade vs. ~$90 to purchase ). If she gets really into it, we'll buy some nice ones I guess....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2017 C650GT, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:04 pm quote
WLeuthold wrote:
We put a new toilet in when we renovated our main bathroom two years ago.

The toilet is a Toto, and it is different than the standard US toilets.

No flapper and a very different filler valve.

Two weeks ago it started running after flushes, requiring the water supply to be turned off between flushes. Kind of a pain.

I called Toto. They are sending a new filler unit, but they also sent a video to show how to clean the unit.

I followed the video, put it back together and it now turns off properly.

And we will soon have a spare.

Bill
Big Toto fan here. Well as much as one can be about a toilet. Funny thing is we were in a law suit with the contractor that did our renovation (we won) and one thing he complained to the judge about was our decision to put an expensive Toto toilet in instead of a “regular” one. Fell flat on his face on that one as we paid the designer directly for it and it did not come out of his fee.
Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:41 pm quote
I am lucky, I guess.

My office is in a 95 year old house less than a mile from home.

I work alone, but share the building with only three other people.

I feel safe working there.

So I can work, like I am doing this Sunday afternoon.

Surprisingly, all projects continue to push ahead.

Maybe a few will fall off.

That is fine with me...more time for scooting....Oyster Tours!

Bill
Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:26 pm quote
My music partner (and long time friend) and I did a song about the virus...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2020/03/we-need-your-help.html

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/the-corona-virus-covid-nineteen-song

It has been shared hundreds of times, and we're starting to hear from people in Europe. I've been told a radio station in Milwaukee is playing it. (obviously, with some bleeps) No verification of that.

This is not what we normally play. Here's a more recent cover of a Little River Band song, Cool Change...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/cool-change

It keeps us off the streets. Well, it doesn't keep me off my Vespa. After today's ride...

Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Not in isolation....yet, but have an ongoing basement bathroom remodel that got out of hand, so furring out and drywalling a wall, working on a shower unit install...

When that's not moving forward, i'm working on the bed I promised my wife 18 years ago. I'm probably a dozen hours or less from finishing.

Then I just remembered I have a few thousand photos from the past couple years that need to be organized and backed up.....

That headboard looks nice, well done!

Is it just an optical illusion in the pic, or have you bent the vertical pieces of wood?
Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:20 pm quote
Baking
Lots of baking. Practicing, once I work from home. Mostly baking though.

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

51E4D87D-F4F9-4B2D-821E-D52E8E638462.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Last edited by Karlsbadd on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:09 pm quote
I plan on painting a spare bedroom in the basement. It has been an unsettling two tone lavender color since we moved in 7 years ago. Now I need to gather the courage to go purchase the paint.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:38 pm quote
RRider wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

Is it just an optical illusion in the pic, or have you bent the vertical pieces of wood?
Actually it's the footboard. Yes, the pieces are bent, which makes it a whole 'nother ball game as each piece was cut on a bandsaw and sanded to final dimension. Why make things easy?

The footboard was designed to be a tad shorter than the height of the mattress as I'm so freaking tall that my feet tend to go a bit beyond the end of the bed, and antique and fancy beds with high footboards are impossible to sleep well in.....

More pictures coming soon when I complete the other end...
Addicted
2018 GTS 300 Touring Rosso Vignola, 2020 BV 350 Matte Green, 1956 VL3
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:46 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
RRider wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

Actually it's the footboard. Yes, the pieces are bent, which makes it a whole 'nother ball game as each piece was cut on a bandsaw and sanded to final dimension. Why make things easy?

The footboard was designed to be a tad shorter than the height of the mattress as I'm so freaking tall that my feet tend to go a bit beyond the end of the bed, and antique and fancy beds with high footboards are impossible to sleep well in.....

Nice mortise & tenon joints! I can appreciate that.
Ossessionato
2018 Vespa GTS 300 ABS- Bianco
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:46 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
RRider wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

I built a garden bench from a picture taken in Ireland, has a similar look to that footboard. As a lifelong wood worker I have a special interest in Appalachian style chairs. I bend my back slats via boiling as I find that means best rather than steam bent, so i don't fool with a cabinet. I boil mine in a canner for a childs chair and my maple syrup pan for full size chairs. Like the bed above, I sawed out my curved back slats on that bench. Mine was white oak.
Wood bending is a common practice in the furniture industry and wood working. Species choice matters a bunch plus no grain abnormalities.
Thats very nice work Fledrmaus!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:51 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
RRider wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

I built a garden bench from a picture taken in Ireland, has a similar look to that footboard. As a lifelong wood worker I have a special interest in Appalachian style chairs. I bend my back slats via boiling as I find that means best rather than steam bent, so i don't fool with a cabinet. I boil mine in a canner for a childs chair and my maple syrup pan for full size chairs. Like the bed above, I sawed out my curved back slats on that bench. Mine was white oak.
Wood bending is a common practice in the furniture industry and wood working. Species choice matters a bunch plus no grain abnormalities.
Thats very nice work Fledrmaus!
Thank you!

Did think about bending while in process....something I never quite got into, but seemed pretty interesting. From what I remember, white ash is one of the better woods? Seems dimensioning, then bending would be easier in some ways than cutting curves....
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 am quote
One of the worlds best by far wood tech resources is Woodweb.com

There are species charts for bending, radius charts, so on. Ash is one of the best of all, as is white oak and most any oak, beech is good too. Cherry is a bit brash anyway but can be bent in limited fashion. The charts give failure rates for various radi, it gets technical but also a back woods event done even by Native Americans, etc.. Walnut bends OK I've done it plus a chair I built for a Christmas gift was Osage Orange the hardest NA species yet it bent OK. Osage has water soluble sap color so some woods it's possible to lose some natural color but with Osage I did my final sanding after boiling it so I got mostly under the washout area. A deep canner works great for a short piece like your verticle slats. My syrup pan is in a barrel stove affair to begin with so serves me well for bending plus I never do really long pieces like a boat builder who must use a steam chamber.
I have no bed length issues! I've made all our beds, everything else for that matter.
Our AL son wants a sound center soon but reality is my project BMW R75/5 is laying all over my shop.
I have been looking at a custom furniture website he found with a neat stereo they sell. The issue with them is the older designs can look dorky in todays home plus the equipment has changed and the spaces in the cabinet are different.
Check out this girl cabinet makers website:
www.sallieplumleystudio.com check out the walnut console there to see what I am "somewhat" going to build next.
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:32 am quote
With back slats on chairs I cut to shape leaving slight extra length to fit. I dry assemble a chair frame w/o rockers then measure the length for each slat mortise in the rear post which are tapered and vary a tad, then add the tenon length each end and bend plus some extra. I do all routing, and sawn shape prior then only 1 or 2 final sandings, some spices the grain raises more than others, of course. I have never done chairs such as Winsdor what with a hoop bent back piece, those require using the best species and often maple which also works well. Ms Pumley is VG and has some neat ideas!
I gave several of my GD's jewelry boxes for Christmas which I built several yrs ago but waited until they were old enough. They are all some very special old apple wood i got where a lake was built long ago over an old orchard.
Well they had new bedrooms and proud of them, etc., and one cried cause her new jewelry box wasn't all white like her bedroom. That box design I partially got off a web picture of a design that sold for over $1,000 ea.. Not that large but very tough to make due to how it was built. Took about a week to make just one of them. All my DIL's want to paint everything they see! I had this grand idea a few years ago to build hand dovetailed "Hope Chests" for all 8 GK's. Guess how that turned out... People now days don't "do" hope chests nor appreciate some traditional woodworking. They would probably look at your bed then try & decide if it would look better white or blue, etc..
Hooked
bv350, Brutale 910
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:38 am quote
Re: Instead of making Coronials....
Madison Sully wrote:
So, what family-friendly, or, um, family-friendly-topic-of-conversation sorts of things are folks doing to keep busy during these times of self-imposed isolation?
I can't imagine anyone thinking about boinking in the time of corona. Between having to prep the kids lesson plans for the next day, to planning to shut the office in order for prep everyone to WFH, That's the last thing on my mind.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can infect yourself even through a handy, so That's also out of the question.
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:48 am quote
Bonking?

My wife & I agree that lots of conceptions about to happen near you as people work from home, stay home, etc.. I'm a "war baby"-can we call them "corona babies"?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:56 am quote
Kantuckid wrote:
Bonking?

My wife & I agree that lots of conceptions about to happen near you as people work from home, stay home, etc.. I'm a "war baby"-can we call them "corona babies"?
I think "Coronial" is already the accepted term (I didn't coin it).
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:56 am quote
Lebo wrote:
I plan on painting a spare bedroom in the basement. It has been an unsettling two tone lavender color since we moved in 7 years ago. Now I need to gather the courage to go purchase the paint.
Get the best paint, cover better lasts longer. Sherwin Williams has a 40% off sale in the spring. Get $80 a gal paint for $45 or so.
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:09 am quote
I'm on The Forestry Forum daily. In the health & safety forum there a doc/MD from KS makes daily comments and deals with the virus up close & personal. He always calls it the "crown virus" FWIW.
Coronal babies won't be created at my place for sure, I got "fixed" in 1980 after having 3 under 3 years old!
Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:44 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
My music partner (and long time friend) and I did a song about the virus...

https://captnjim.blogspot.com/2020/03/we-need-your-help.html

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/the-corona-virus-covid-nineteen-song

It has been shared hundreds of times, and we're starting to hear from people in Europe. I've been told a radio station in Milwaukee is playing it. (obviously, with some bleeps) No verification of that.

This is not what we normally play. Here's a more recent cover of a Little River Band song, Cool Change...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/cool-change

It keeps us off the streets. Well, it doesn't keep me off my Vespa. After today's ride...

Effing brilliant fun. A much-needed chuckle.
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:54 am quote
Downsizing
Sully,

I am going through the same transition. I actually should have got out of this
house 10 years ago. I am looking for an end unit one level townhouse.

We had our current 2 story built 28 years ago. It has been like standing in a cold shower ripping up $100 bills to update everything. I sometimes think,
stop the crazy spending and sell it as is. On balance, the updates are all part of normal home ownership - but dam expensive.

Here is the craziness in the last three years. New Roof, new garage doors, replace furnace,water heater. dishwasher, disposal, wall unit oven/Microwave. both bathrooms upstairs, walkout double doors, repair cedar in the front of house (North Exposure) no sun causing rotting to bay window. All my neighbors are going through the same routine - dam - should have moved 10 years ago.

I do love the shack. Here with shots from the back yard.

Bob Copeland

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAkaFyk
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:07 am quote
Re: Downsizing
Bob Copeland wrote:
Sully,

We had our current 2 story built 28 years ago. It has been like standing in a cold shower ripping up $100 bills to update everything. I sometimes think,
stop the crazy spending and sell it as is. On balance, the updates are all part of normal home ownership - but dam expensive.

Here is the craziness in the last three years. New Roof, new garage doors, replace furnace,water heater. dishwasher, disposal, wall unit oven/Microwave. both bathrooms upstairs, walkout double doors, repair cedar in the front of house (North Exposure) no sun causing rotting to bay window. All my neighbors are going through the same routine - dam - should have moved 10 years ago.

Bob Copeland

I understand what you're up to, believe me.
Make it perfect so you can sell it...
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:55 am quote
Re: Downsizing
Bob Copeland wrote:
Sully,

Bob Copeland

Bob - it ain't fun doing all the work for someone else's enjoyment, but it does help sell your house faster.

We sold in the Boston suburbs last summer. Had to run around the house and fix or hide all the obvious issues. Crown molding in the office, where the ceiling didn't meet my first attempt at drywall. Some bark mulch and landscaping hackery outside. Power washed everything, including the garage doors. One new garage door opener, and paint... lots of gray paint.

My idiot buyers (the only good thing about them was that their check was good) nitpicked everything, even the wooden windows whose upper sashes had been painted shut for the 28 years I lived there. They wanted $25k off for a bunch of "honey do" stuff they found on a 50 year old house in their inspection. 20 minutes each on the windows with a paint scraper got them moving just fine. Those guys probably don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold.

When it was all done, I did a bunch of the honey do stuff, and they spent 3 hours (3 HOURS!!) at the walkthough testing every outlet in the house, to make sure the electrical was up to date. Yeah, jerkfaces, I'm the "non professional electrician" who replaced every outlet and switch in the house with ones that were rated for the Aluminum wiring. What they never noticed was the cracked slab in the porch, bathroom, and garage.

But although I had idiot buyers, the place sold in 8 days. Got close to what I wanted, and I just wanted to be out at that point.

So, do the stuff BEFORE you list, and well before you have an inspection and the buyers insist that a licensed professional do all the repair work.

Best of all, hire a home inspector yourself, and have them do an inspection of your house, as detailed as they can, and then go through the list line by line and address each item. Then when you have idiot buyers, you will have the confidence that there won't be any surprises (like a garage door opener connected through a short extension cord, which is apparently a no-no).

And if you know something about your house that nobody else knows (like someone died there, or something about previous owners), keep it to yourself. Your Realtor is required to disclose anything they know....

And lastly, minimally expanding spray foam can fix any number of minor things in a hacked-up temporary good-enough-for-now way.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:07 am quote
Getting the Vespa running again!

Last year this time I was having a hell of a time getting it started on cold mornings, so I replaced the carb, knowing I'd approached that 30k mileage where GT200 carb parts tend to get sucked up into the engine.

No luck: still impossible to start in temps under 60 degrees.

So I bought a Honda CRF250L and ignored the Vespa all summer. Just kidding. Sort of, I mean I did do that but mainly because I got so into exploring dirt roads on the Honda.

But home this week -- for Spring break, but as of ten minutes ago our campus is closed for the entire rest of the semester -- so back at the Vespa. Replaced cracked intake manifold. Nada.

Removed and completely cleaned (one year old) carb. Comedy of errors but got it back on. Nada.

Replaced spark plug. Nada.

Kept reading for clues. Knew it couldn't be the valves because I had just adjusted those...wait, when did I adjust those? Maybe I should look in my log book, but I swear it was yesterday.... Oh! 18,000 miles and one brutally hot Cannonball ago.

So spent three-four hours remembering that adjusting modern Vespa valves is THE BIGGEST F-----G PAIN IN THE ASS EVER! I already regret and fear the next time I have to do it!

Got 'er all buttoned up, hit the starter expecting "nada" and VRRRROOOM! Barely turned over once before firing right up!

And all tuned up she runs like an absolute top. Starts in a single stroke at 30 degrees. Who knew?

Well, I mean, yeah, everyone knew, but me. Or, well, "I".

Missed y'all, btw. But the Honda opened up thousands of miles of dirt roads to me, and I'm just getting started.

On the other hand, no one wants to look at pictures of a Honda.

FC299D96-6412-4DC9-896A-53ACD15C3236.JPG

Addicted
2009 GTS 250ie
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Sully,

Bob Copeland

Great looking place! I like the optimism of a swimming pool in Minneapolis. We did the downsizing 14 years ago, after spending our adult lives to that point building up. What I dreaded about tossing soon became a relief. Good luck with the process.

If it were up to me, I'd be just fine living on a boat or in an RV full time. We went boat cruising for a couple years after we retired in 2006. These days, we spend about 6 months in the motorhome, 6 in the house. And this house is much smaller and way less exterior maintenance. And the motorhome is typical vehicle maintenance and a good wax once a year. No lawn to keep up. More time to play.
Ossessionato
2012 Kymco Like 200i (Sold), 2018 FLSL
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:49 pm quote
Here is what I wrote on a similar type thread.

"I find little projects to do to occupy my time. Currently I am trying to repair a cigar lighter I was given years ago that sat unused. It won't ignite. Going to try and figure out the problem and resolve it. Little things like this that makes the day go by more enjoyably."
Ossessionato
Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956 - Yamaha Majesty 250 DX 1998
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:59 pm quote
Captain Jim wrote:
My music partner (and long time friend) and I
Captain ... I have just started learning to play the keyboard, I bought a Yamaha EZ 220.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 pm quote
Re: Baking
Karlsbadd wrote:
Whoa! Nice looking work there!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 pm quote
Re: Baking
fledermaus wrote:
Karlsbadd wrote:
Whoa! Nice looking work there!
tdrake wrote:
Getting the Vespa running again!

Congrats....what a journey. Adjusting valves is a treat....

Right about the pictures...but I'd say we're FAR more interested in the Vespa pics.
Ossessionato
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:10 am quote
tdrake wrote:
I guess I am president of the "Please, no more Honda pictures" club.

Just kidding, of course, but good to see the Vespa in recently posted photos.

All of your photos are brilliant. Keep it up.

Bill
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:28 am quote
fledermaus wrote:
Right about the pictures...but I'd say we're FAR more interested in the Vespa pics.
WLeuthold wrote:
tdrake wrote:

Bill
Sure, everyone wants to see pics of the finicky, high maintenance, "you can take me out but only to the right places" Italian super model.

Meanwhile her Asian roommate is crushing it at math and checking out all kinds of nerdy cool stuff on the roads not travelled, getting a blue ribbon for her science project, never once asking for nothin' but the occasional oil change, but does anyone care?

Nope, y'all are like "yeah, nice scholarship but where's your roommate?"

taco.jpg
She even makes a Thursday night taco run look good....

Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 am quote
tdrake wrote:
fledermaus wrote:
WLeuthold wrote:
tdrake wrote:

Bill
Sure, everyone wants to see pics of the finicky, high maintenance, "you can take me out but only to the right places" Italian super model.

Meanwhile her Asian roommate is crushing it at math and checking out all kinds of nerdy cool stuff on the roads not travelled, getting a blue ribbon for her science project, never once asking for nothin' but the occasional oil change, but does anyone care?

Nope, y'all are like "yeah, nice scholarship but where's your roommate?"
That's one heck of a taco storage tower you got there... that'll be handy in these days
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:34 pm quote
Just had a friend with a greenhouse drop off some plants to dress up the house. I had hoped to move in on April 3, but residential construction is closed down, and I am without a working sink (zero for three in that department). Not sure if the shower works either, as I don't have a door on the bathroom. No countertops either, they were supposed to be installed on Monday. So close, yet so far.

So this weekend we'll be planting some nice shrubs. And watering them heavily.
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:48 pm quote
I was semi-seriously leaning toward relocating from NH back to the mid-Atlantic this summer, but with things the way they are, I'm a bit concerned about buying a house down there and then perhaps not being able to sell up here. I don't want to own two houses (again)...
I think the virus may impact real estate, as it will everything else...
So, I'm doing small upgrades around the house, some painting and hoping that we'll still be allowed to wander aimlessly on our scooters when the weather warms up...
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:03 pm quote
Nautiker wrote:
I was semi-seriously leaning toward relocating from NH back to the mid-Atlantic this summer, but with things the way they are, I'm a bit concerned about buying a house down there and then perhaps not being able to sell up here. I don't want to own two houses (again)...
So, I'm doing small upgrades around the house, some painting and hoping that we'll still be allowed to wander aimlessly on our scooters when the weather warms up...
As to the impact on real estate, we were putting together an offer just yesterday, and dealing with some small details, and then today, when we were going to sign, decided, basically, nope. Not going to do it.

Think about this; if we had as a contingency that we wanted an inspection within 15 days, but couldn't get one because our state goes on lock-down tonight, those 15 days elapse with no inspection and we're stuck? No thanks. Then there's the whole closing gathering.

Our plans are on hold.
Addicted
'14 Piaggio BV 350
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:08 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Nautiker wrote:
As to the impact on real estate, we were putting together an offer just yesterday, and dealing with some small details, and then today, when we were going to sign, decided, basically, nope. Not going to do it.

Think about this; if we had as a contingency that we wanted an inspection within 15 days, but couldn't get one because our state goes on lock-down tonight, those 15 days elapse with no inspection and we're stuck? No thanks. Then there's the whole closing gathering.

Our plans are on hold.
Sorry to hear that - I know real estate transactions are tricky, quite complicated sometimes, and somewhat emotional...
I have dear friends who are currently trying to move from MD to MA, and I think they may be committed, but not 'closed' on a place... So, I'll worry for them a bit as well. But yeah, I think waiting to see how things 'shake out' as they say is the more prudent action.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.2359s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0586s) ][ Debug on ]