Instead of making Coronials....
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:16 pm quote
fledermaus wrote:
You guys have been cooped up too long!

I've negotiated a notch...

The slats are all loose-fitted, as they don't fill a structural need, and gluing up while aligning 19 slats was already a PITA. the slats at the top fit into a 1/2 inch mortise, without tenons. Bottoms are regular mortise and tenon...could get away with being a bit sloppy being unglued. Expecting gravity to keep them in place-along with varnish or whatever I decide to finish with.
That's a whole lot of mortise/tenon-ing!
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:58 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

The slats are all loose-fitted, as they don't fill a structural need, and gluing up while aligning 19 slats was already a PITA. the slats at the top fit into a 1/2 inch mortise, without tenons. Bottoms are regular mortise and tenon...could get away with being a bit sloppy being unglued. Expecting gravity to keep them in place-along with varnish or whatever I decide to finish with.
I come from a long line of hackers... men with a quest to do it, but not the necessary fine skills. So here's my version of woodworking today:

Movers dropped off my stuff. Dang, am I glad I didn't move this stuff myself... I'm getting too old for that kind of foolishness. And now that the house (and garage) are occupied, I needed to secure the garage. No key for the roll up doors, so I repurposed some locks I found at the home supply store, and took care of the broken window on the north side.

This garage is old, not as old as the house (there was no evidence of a stable on the old Sandborn maps), but it's seeing its last days. The wood is crispy, and it's breezy inside, though there is a reasonably new metal roof on it (someone took advantage of a 95 year old lady to sell her a roof for a garage she probably hadn't used in 20 years).

garage window.jpg
The Element tailgate made a fine platform for working.

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS 2013 BV 350
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:42 pm quote
tdrake wrote:
fledermaus wrote:

Yeah, it did get a bit old. I was seriously contemplating a mortising jig, but got by with a router and chisels....
Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:25 pm quote
NO real skill involved, but DANG, the windows on my house are filthy. I doubt they were cleaned properly in the past twenty years by the old lady that lived there, nor the past 8 months of construction.

I did a few today, and more tomorrow, while I'm not assembling furniture. It will keep me busy, and off the streets and away from people.

Got me thinking, the only time you properly clean windows is when you sell or buy a house. I have these older tilt in vinyl double hung windows, and I can at least get them all from inside. The sill (is that what you call it, the bottom of the window, which is outside) was filthy... I'm gonna get them all!

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody)
Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:16 pm quote
Larrytsg: Oh, my…one of my fave songs from Van. Good call!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:45 am quote
Got desperate
So last Fall I put on a Facebook page that I'd do bike repair / tune-ups.
No charge except parts.
One taker.

I repeated that same message, same board, on Saturday.
Got 5 bikes that aren't mine in my garage now, for tune-ups and one set of new tires. Four more people left to connect with, and one that dropped off a bike said he has three more.

Anyone local have a bike you want tuned up?

Ossessionato
2006 Vespa GT (Rocket): 2005 Vespa GT (Razzo): 2006 Vespa GT (Crash): 2007 Vespa GT (Vanessa): 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Zoom): 2018 Yamaha Xmax (Max),
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:28 am quote
Re: Got desperate
Madison Sully wrote:
So last Fall I put on a Facebook page that I'd do bike repair / tune-ups.
No charge except parts.
One taker.

I repeated that same message, same board, on Saturday.
Got 5 bikes that aren't mine in my garage now, for tune-ups and one set of new tires. Four more people left to connect with, and one that dropped off a bike said he has three more.

Anyone local have a bike you want tuned up?

It is great that you are offering such a nice service.

I went to one of our garages to get Sarah's bicycle, hoping to put air in the tires and go for a bike ride.

But the bike had been sitting for too many years and the tires were rotted.

I thought about getting tires and tubes and fixing it myself, but there is a bike shop a few blocks from home. It is run by a guy who was a boy scout with Sam.

I thought it would be best to give him the business.

He got it fixed and we added a basket. Now we can ride bicycles around the neighborhood.

Bill

IMG_2896 (002).jpg
Riding in the 'Hood.

Ossessionato
1979 P200e
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 am quote
Perfect! Support small local business, or you’ll be complaining when they’re no longer there.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 pm quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Got 5 bikes that aren't mine in my garage now,
Which one is the fastest?

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 pm quote
znomit wrote:
Madison Sully wrote:
Got 5 bikes that aren't mine in my garage now,
Which one is the fastest?

Either of my two could out-pace any of the remaining four.
One got picked up, but it was a little BMX.
Ossessionato
2006 GT200
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:15 am quote
Cut down and installed the windscreen this weekend and then new belt and rollers yesterday afternoon, thus I felt compelled to go out for a lil spin in the evening, just, you know, to test my workmanship.

IMG_6893.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:18 am quote
When I started this thread back in March, I had set up a big list of things to do around the house. Partly to get the house ready for sale, partly to make it more up to date, liveable, current, howeverwewanttodescribeit. We're not looking to move anymore, at least not in the next year or two. Maybe later....

Anyway, my work had me working from home for about 10 weeks, with time off assisted by the Paycheck Protection Program or whatever PPP stands for. Then in July it was mandatory vacation time (so paid, just use your vacation so you are available 'when things pick up'). And now for August, September, and October we have one week per month furlough. Unpaid, or use vacation if you want.

It's sort of odd, really, this furlough thing. It's more distant from the company than vacation; very official, and very 'nope, you got nothing to do here' sort of approach. Even so far as my work cell phone. I had to leave it at work, and get a new personal phone as I have never, in my life, needed a personal cell phone (I have worked at the same place for ~25 years now, and got a cell phone early on from the company). So now I'm off, I chose to take the first week available mostly because it seemed the weather was going to be nice and cool, little chance of rain except one day, and I could do some fun stuff.

Today I installed a new ceiling fan in our main bathroom, my first step in remodeling it. Perhaps I should say painting it. That's about the main part; I'll replace the hardware bits too but that's pretty minor. One thing I'll say is attic space is really hot, even when it's nice outside. And small; I'm guessing I'll have cramps for days after that contortion.

I hope to finish up the bathroom by the end of this week, perhaps tackle some more outside stuff in September. Word on the street is this one week off per month may go through the end of the year. Honestly not sure how I feel about it. From my own perspective I know I'll be fine, but I also know there are a lot of folks out there not so fortunate. For my part, I'll try to enjoy it as best possible, especially the part about spending more time with my wife. That has been a bright spot this year, for sure.

Stay well, everyone!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:52 pm quote
Heh. I hear you about bathrooms. Mrs jimc decided on Monday that the bathroom had to be completely remodelled, especially the toilet which was hopeless at flushing.

Within eight hours the tub was gone, the vanity was gone, the toilet was gone, the drywall was gone. Back to bare bones! We had to use our camping toilet just the once, and a new toilet was installed Tuesday. Bloody excellent, and not too expensive. Glacier bay 'Power Flush' - they claim it can flush 7 billiard balls. It copes with our vegan 'productions' with effortless ease.

All materials now bought, electrics have been upgraded (70-year old wiring) new shower pan going in tomorrow.

That's this week - in previous weeks I:
Removed the engine from the Subaru Outback and replaced the head gaskets,
Replaced the old propane fridge in the van with a 12V compressor one - doubled the fridge volume and gained extra storage space as well,
Installed EPAS (electrically assisted power steering) to the van - the arm-wrestling exercises had become very old, very old.
Plus tons of other shit.

The stimulus checks have been stretched right out.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:48 am quote
I suspect that by your generous use of the active voice you did it all by yourself. Is that true?

I'm really impressed!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:33 am quote
Max6200 wrote:
I suspect that by your generous use of the active voice you did it all by yourself. Is that true?
Yes, why not.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.1547s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0395s) ][ Debug on ]