MP3 brakes not great
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Piaggio MP3
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:00 pm quote
I tried a search but as I don't understand them It's hard to know what to search for.

I have a 2019 MP3 300 Yourban and the hydraulic brakes are not great as in there is alot of travel of the levers before braking starts, it's only done 3000 miles!

it appears the foot brake operates both front and rear and the left and right brake levers do the rear and front respectively.

When I stand on the foot brake I can feel the brake levers move and get better.

I drove another MP3 2015 plate a few weeks back and I don't remember it being like this so I think something is wrong.

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks
Paul
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:40 pm quote
sounds like you have air bubbles in the lines. have your dealer flush the lines and refill.
Piaggio MP3
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:07 pm quote
I flushed the fronts yesterday no different I willl do the back today.

I agree it felt like air, in a vehicle it could be the master cylinder but as there are essentially three master cylinders then I can't see it being that.

Thanks for the reply
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 pm quote
as it is a LT you have to do all also the footpedal
Piaggio MP3
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:54 pm quote
Thanks Maskor,

I did pump the brake pedal also doing fronts, it's confusing to me how it works and I can't get in there to see what's connected to what.
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:02 am quote
This will probably improve over time but you could try the old trick of putting strong rubber bands from old inner tubes over the brake levers overnight to hold the brakes hard on. I've never seen a good explanation of why this works but it does seem to firm up the levers. There is an element of self-bleeding with hydraulic brakes because if the air rises up to the master cylinder it will eventually be released via the port which is open to the reservoir.
Piaggio MP3
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:36 am quote
Great tip roadster I will try it
Piaggio MP3
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:40 am quote
Hey Roadster, that has fixed it over night, you are a legend, thanks again.

I think what's happening is the bleed nipple threads are poor tolerance so air goes back down the treads, I have seen this before in cars and the only solution is a pressure bleeding kit.

Luggage straps did the trick

MP3
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:13 am quote
roadster wrote:
This will probably improve over time but you could try the old trick of putting strong rubber bands from old inner tubes over the brake levers overnight to hold the brakes hard on. I've never seen a good explanation of why this works but it does seem to firm up the levers. There is an element of self-bleeding with hydraulic brakes because if the air rises up to the master cylinder it will eventually be released via the port which is open to the reservoir.
Thank You! I tried this, I did not expect it to make much difference, now the brake levers are rock solid.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1319s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0314s) ][ Debug on ]