Help! My GTS 300 won't start
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
GTS 300
Sat May 02, 2020 5:55 am quote
Hi. Yes, my photos could be better explained.

The bracket was attached, orientated as pictured, by that orange-looking screw towards the bottom of the photo.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
Sat May 02, 2020 6:16 am quote
Should be like this...:
Ö.

GTS injector bracket.jpg

Addicted
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Sat May 02, 2020 6:38 am quote
We5ty wrote:
And now my Vespa is starting!!!!!!

When I re-attached the fuel injector I tried starting it again -- purely in the spirit of optimism -- and it started. AMAZING.

Just one thing....

It started fine before I reattached this bracket. When I reattach this bracket the starter motor won't turn, I just get a "click". I tried three times. I guess I'm somehow reattaching it wrong. So I've replaced the screw to hold everything in place, without the bracket, and everything seems fine. The Vespa starts, every time.

And I guess the bigger question is...
ē†What was wrong in the first place? Why would simply removing and then replacing the fuel injector fix the problem? Is this simply a case of good old "switch it off then switch it back on again?"

Love from Madrid,

We5ty
Perhaps the inclusion of bracket is adding a bit of added tension on a crimped wire and thereby reducing the appropriate flow of electricity to the injector (or whatever is being impacted) and causing the starting issues?

Idk about leaving it off. I often wonder if all the parts and configurations (especially the wiring configuration) are 100% necessary in their exact iterations.
Piaggio BV 250
Sat May 02, 2020 6:38 am quote
Look like your fuel injector might be starting to break. This problem seems to be a ground problem or short circuit problem.

This bracket holds the fuel injector in place by pressing it a little bit. I saw another topic here in the forum in which there was a case of a broken injector. Actually it was the connector that broke. But if yours is starting to break, or is an internal problem, the way you press or not with and without the bracket may be causing the problems. If you had a spare injector it would be easy to test.

Fuel Injector Broke
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat May 02, 2020 6:56 am quote
The big square connector in the bottom left of the picture below is the connector into the ECU inside the throttle body. It looks as if it's not fully inserted.

I bet when the bracket to hold the fuel pipe rigidly is put in place, the fuel pipe then pulls just enough on the ECU connector to break some vital connection inside.

I expect the original problem is down to that connector.

GTS 300
Sat May 02, 2020 9:12 am quote
> Should be like this...:

That makes more sense.

Have put it that way.

But it's not pressing against the fuel injector, or in any other way holding it in place. It's almost a protective barrier around the fuel injector -- but am not sure what it's protecting it from (other than a clumsy spanner from an amateur mechanic such as myself).
GTS 300
Sat May 02, 2020 9:14 am quote
>The big square connector in the bottom left of the picture below is the connector into the ECU inside the throttle body. It looks as if it's not fully inserted.

>I bet when the bracket to hold the fuel pipe rigidly is put in place, the fuel pipe then pulls just enough on the ECU connector to break some vital connection inside.

>I expect the original problem is down to that connector.

Good spot.

I checked. The connector is firmly in place, it's the rubber cover that looks a little loose.
Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Sat May 02, 2020 3:09 pm quote
Isn't that the relatively new shielding bracket that prevents the injector from getting cracked if pressure is applied by the pet carrier?

Strange that the bracket would affect your bike starting. Is the injector cracked, maybe?
Hooked
2009 250
Sun May 03, 2020 11:43 am quote
That bracket was put on newer Vespas to protect the electrical connection on the fuel injector from getting damaged when the pet carrier would come in contact with it.

Why the starter motor wouldn't turn over when it's installed is strange.
300 GTS
Sat May 09, 2020 4:40 am quote
jimc wrote:
If it was jammed, the stall current through the starter motor would be HUGE. Oh yes, you'd see a big spark all right!

Chase with a multimeter. We've diagnosed as much as we can from afar.
Update: I tapped on the starter motor a couple times and now she starts every single time! This is probably temporary, so Iíll be replacing the starter motor soon. Everything else checks out so Iím thinking that must be it.
Addicted
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Sat May 09, 2020 5:29 am quote
It could be the soldered pins on the ECU - if thatís the case you will likely have to replace the ECU. Just a small tap or two on the starter will push the ECU pins into place and allow you to get it to start - youíll think the starter is faulty, but itís really not. I had a similar problem and replaced the starter a TWICE before it was definitely diagnosed as the ECU. Since replacing the ECU/Throttle Body, all has been fine. See: Started as a spark plug post; now down the rabbit hole we go

I think I have a starter laying around that I can mail you for free (as a pay-it-forward and pay-it-back for all the help Iíve received on this forum ). PM me if you want it.
300 GTS
Tue May 26, 2020 8:30 am quote
KS wrote:
theschuman wrote:
I had the same problem. If you like to read, read this:

Started as a spark plug post; now down the rabbit hole we go

Or you could always try the old ďThrottle Body TapĒ See the video at:

2015 GTS300 starting issue - The Throttle Body Tap
I'm having the exact same problem. This is so frustrating. I went on a couple rides this spring (live in Michigan) and then all of a sudden it just won't start. I hear the starter relay clicking, have checked all fuses, I guess I'll check the battery next. How can that be since it was starting fine one moment and then not even trying to turn over.

Shuman, thanks for the video on the tapping. I'll try that too. You say it was the ECU in the end. How did you replace that? Anybody?
Update: I replaced the starter motor and the scoot starts right up. No issue so far. Huge thanks to theschuman for sending me the part!
Addicted
2015 Vespa GTS300 Super
Thu May 28, 2020 3:00 am quote
Great news! Let us know if the starting issue happens again. My starter replacements ďfixedĒ my starting problem for a short time, but then it returned. Since the ECU/throttle body replacement all has been well. For your sake, Iím hoping the starter was the medicine your Vespa needed.
Lurker
2019 GTS 300
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:23 pm quote

2018 GTS 300.
Was running just fine. It sat for a few months. I removed the fuel and cleaned the spark plug. I have a bright spark. I see the fuel injector is spraying. Not sure if too much but itís spraying. Reinstalled it. Fresh fuel. I have fuel, spark and only 270 miles. Hmmmm
It must be air. I tried to locate the small hole for the idle start. Itís not matching the one in the photos.
Any ideas where it could be? I have a strong charge on the battery. Could still be itís old. Not sure. Please give advice. Ty

image.jpg

Molto Verboso
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm quote
mikecombs66 wrote:

2018 GTS 300.
Was running just fine. It sat for a few months. I removed the fuel and cleaned the spark plug. I have a bright spark. I see the fuel injector is spraying. Not sure if too much but itís spraying. Reinstalled it. Fresh fuel. I have fuel, spark and only 270 miles. Hmmmm
It must be air. I tried to locate the small hole for the idle start. Itís not matching the one in the photos.
Any ideas where it could be? I have a strong charge on the battery. Could still be itís old. Not sure. Please give advice. Ty
Hi and welcome! This is a relatively old thread. You will probably get more help if you start a new one.
Lurker
2019 GTS 300
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:41 pm quote
Fixed it. Had a spider inside the idle air vent hole inside the throttle body. Back to normal.
Molto Verboso
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:39 am quote
mikecombs66 wrote:
Fixed it. Had a spider inside the idle air vent hole inside the throttle body. Back to normal.
Good find, and good fix! Happy riding
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:05 am quote
mikecombs66 wrote:
Ha! First I've heard of that one - well found!
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2101s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0295s) ][ Debug on ]