OP
UTC

Lurker
2009 MP3 500

Lurker
2009 MP3 500
UTC quote
H! I'm looking at buying a 2009 MP3 500 for $400. Supposedly it has a broken key switch or ignition is all I know at the moment. I don't know a lot about these, but I do like these scooters and have been looking for a maxi scooter type thing for awhile. Would this be a smart buy and a cheap fix that I could do at home, or would this be more trouble than what it's worth? Thanks for the input! 😁
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
Well if you replace the lock assembly you have to replace the ECU too, they were paired together once they were installed.
You can get around this by sending or taking your ECU to a dealership like AF1 Racing in Austin, Tx. to have the ECU virginized. This defaults the ECU to factory setting and you can reprogram it to pair to another set of keys.
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Depending what's actually wrong, it could be not-too-expensive. It's not the actual lock that's paired to the ECU, it's the rf chip in the key. So, if you can get a new lock assembly, then you can have a key cut to match it, and then if you have the red key, you can program the new key to excite the ECU. You can also get a working key "cloned", and have the new key cut to the new ignition tumblers.

If you have no keys, you're not completely out of luck; then you need to consult with AF1 to see what you need. Worst case you'll need a new ECU and matched set of keys, which will run half a grand.

$400 is a steal, even if you have to spend another $600 to get it working.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
If they have the original key with a reddish brown head and that key is OK, then I think you can buy a new ignition switch with keys and then swap the chip from the old red-brown key to the new similar key and go from there. The ECU and the old key are paired, not the ignition switch itself. Scooterpartsco.com will sell you the switch for $239

https://scooterpartsco.com/ricambi/030-piaggio/ignition-switch-and-keys-for-piaggio-mp3-624441?zenid=1c47fc09865d4f14532c133c9f4b91a0

If they don't have the red-brown key it's a bigger deal because you have to send the ECU to ScooterWest and they will "revirginize" it, for another $100 and some dollars.

Getting these parts off and back on is a major job. Paying for it all to be done for you could run close to $1,000 I would think.

I just did this on a 2008 MP3 500 I got from a tow away yard in San Francisco. It all worked and the scooter is ready to sell, but with this plague going on I'm waiting. If you want to know more, send me a personal message or reply here.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0249s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0030s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]