Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

118 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Hang around this place long enough, Ginch, and you're bound to learn something eventually

It started as a construction term. From our friends at Wikipedia:
Quote:
A punch list is a document prepared during key milestones or near the end of a construction project listing work not conforming to contract specifications that the general contractor must complete prior to final payment.[1] The work may include incomplete or incorrect installations or incidental damage to existing finishes, material, and structures. The list is usually made by the owner, architect or designer, or general contractor while they tour and visually inspect the project.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Ha ha! Whether you like it or not, no doubt!

I work in architecture and never heard of it. I assumed it was an IT thing...
chandlerman wrote:
Hang around this place long enough, Ginch, and you're bound to learn something eventually

It started as a construction term. From our friends at Wikipedia:
Quote:
A punch list is a document prepared during key milestones or near the end of a construction project listing work not conforming to contract specifications that the general contractor must complete prior to final payment.[1] The work may include incomplete or incorrect installations or incidental damage to existing finishes, material, and structures. The list is usually made by the owner, architect or designer, or general contractor while they tour and visually inspect the project.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I put the 24/24 on, dealt with an oil leak from from the main shaft nut, wiped the dust off, tighted up a few rattly bits, and shot a quick video.

https://youtu.be/KHS1obcN9bo.

An Uber driver decided to mess up shooting my video, but I didn't have time or energy to do over, so it is what it is.

The carb may need some cleaning, and both the elecricals and the jetting still needs some love (it's got a bad lean spot at 1/4 throttle), but it's getting there.

And I gotta get rid of the stupid side stand. I hate that thing.
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX181 Quattrini and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
UTC quote
Liking the way it revs. Going to be quick once it's bug free.

Sounds like an ignition fault and the 1/4 bog is lean. If it's a 55/160, then much bigger pilot jet then see where the bog is at 1/4. Something like a 50/100.

Brakes look like they work.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Yeah, it's gonna be fun. The shifting is both very easy and very distinct. I keep feeling neutral on the upshift and stopping there instead of second gear.

I was already thinking bigger pilot jet, but ran out of time work on it. It's a 55/160 in the video. The stack is currently AC 120/BE5/118. I'll figure out the main and walk it down next. I think I need to go somewhere else for that because the neighbors have to be getting annoyed after a full weekend of scooter noise.

With a BE3 or even a BE1, it was so lean in the mid-range that I couldn't get it past idle without it backfiring (like in the video) and flat-out dying. I'm more than open to suggestions on how else to address that, since I feel like I've lost all my si carb tuning abilities dealing almost exclusively with PWK's for the past several years.

Since the RoadXL has a bung, I put the AFM on it to confirm that it was lean, and it was spiking up past 20:1 to just "lean" on the meter when it hit 1/4 throttle, and that was on the stand.

The ignition was working fine when it went on the shelf a couple years ago, but something certainly could be off with it. It was difficult to get the timing right, and I wound up having to extend the slots in the stator to get it to 18 BTDC. I have another CDI I'll try next, or I can also dig out the flytech, which is at least Known Bad past 5,000 RPM's and see if that'll at least confirm the miss at 1/4 throttle is ignition and not jetting.

And, in the midst of all that, I came back from a quick test run to find oil dripping off the bike at a rate of about 2 drips/second. Thinking it was some sort of hub seal failure, I pulled the rear wheel and it was clean. Eventually, I tracked it back to the primary gear shaft being a little bit loose. It was tricky to find, because it would only leak when the bike was running and in gear to throw oil up there. Still, that was much better than my initial fear after I ruled out the shaft oil seal that the cases has somehow cracked.

And for the brakes, the rear brake is pretty good. The front brake is better, but still not as good as I'd like it. I need to take a look at the pads and see if they're either not making good contact or contaminated with something.

I also need to look at the tail & brake lights. They're both very dim, but I think that's old, cheap AC LED's I put in there a while back.

And, finally, I found the lost license plate. A day after I ordered a new one from the state, of course.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
CM - looks good!
A lota overlap with my own experience(s).
Jetting & counter shaft nut.
Nice find on that one - they are tough to spot.
See pic below - I was suffering same leak about a month ago.
inspection camera caught visible row of threads between nut and washer stack.
I was like - no way! - turned out to be finger tight.
(weird washer stack due to EFL shaft in VBB cases).

Meaningful cross over with the pilot and main circuit on SI.
That hand off between them is likely your sticking point?
You can check that by pulling the air filter and looking down it on the stand to see if it does it just as the first drops of main are pulled out of the feeder tube.
I am toying with similar issue currently.
(BE4 cleaned it up for me - but Jack thinks Im too fat through the middle now. It's close. Insert joke here.)
For mine - When I get some fatter idle jets - I'll see if I can clean it up on the BE3 with fat idle.
Seems like that would also be a quick test for you if you have a nice fat idle jet hiding somewhere near where that lic. plate was stored...

Enjoying.
-The other CM
If you look carefully - you can see a thread showing between nut and washer.  Sneaky place for a leak.
If you look carefully - you can see a thread showing between nut and washer. Sneaky place for a leak.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Now that you have the motor back together I find your trial video(s) ( yes enjoyed your other ones) , intrigued to see you get the rest sorted out. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the machine work you guys do to the pistons but...

Really nice catch on finding the drip drip , still don't understand how you found it with motor running and in gear Laughing emoticon
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I'm trying to up my video game just because it's kind've interesting to do. I shot one one changing a VBB hub oil seal yesterday, too, since that qustion just came up. I need to edit it up and post it, but stupid work keeps taking up all my time.

CM, I was pretty irritated to see the leak, and assumed it was the hub seal, even though the backing plate seems to be pretty dry and no oil spatter on the rear rim (plus the rear brake working). Hence the "how to replace an oil seal" video.

When I first started tracking it down, I realized it was dripping off the rear brake cable, so I cleaned it all up, looked at it, and waited for it to drip again and...nothing.

So I took it up and down the alley, came back and...dripping. That was when I tore things apart.

After I determined it wasn't the seal, I stood it back up and ran it with the rear hub off. With no load on the motor, you can put it in gear and run it at idle. It would only leak when the gear stack was throwing oil up into the top of the crankcase, and then I could see a steady stream off the main shaft nut, so I tightened it down as best I could, cleaned it off and fired it up again. Fortunately, that was enough to get it to stop leaking. Bent the tab back into place, reinstalled the rear wheel, and went on with my life.
UTC

Jet Eye Master

Jet Eye Master
UTC quote
Problems still coming but getting though them. Backfiring with lean jetting usually means the timing is too far advanced. Did you strobe the timing?
If much too lean it should just run badly.

If BE5 is too rich it will show up later. No issue for now.

Did you do a pressure test? Could be a small air leak.

Primary nut loose can end in disaster. Good you found it. Quickest way to crack the casing.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I strobed it, but had a couple times where it definitely seemed to be misfiring.

I'll double-check the timing, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I need to put this ignition back on the shelf and order up a fresh stator and CDI.

I didn't run a pressure test, despite telling myself I was going to while I had the 20/20 off to put the 24/24 on.

Anyone know if you can do a pressure test by putting a plug in the carb mouth, or if I'm going to have to pull the carb off?
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I finally had some time yesterday to spend on the VBB.

We've been getting our house ready to sell, which was fairly time-consuming. On the bright side, once we get through the move (Chicago to Nashville), I should have more time than ever for wrenching, since my house now is older with a good size yard, so it requires a LOT of work. For wherever we land "no yard work, newer or full-renovated house, and an air conditioned workshop" are my three main requirements.

I wound up spending entirely too much time futzing with the electrical yesterday, and other than realizing that I'm going to have to either replace the harness (probably the right move, as much as I die inside a little to even think about it) or do something else fairly radical, mostly just have enough info in my head to now draw a wiring plan to start from.

I also got back to the carb. It had a 118 main in it, which was way too lean. I starting looking for the flood point, but I'm not sure I hit it, even with a 135 main, which was the largest thing I had in my jet collection. The mid-range is boggy as hell now with the BE5, so I'll go back to a BE3 again and see if I'm still chasing the flood point.

I swapped out the flywheel for the original P200E that came with the stator and need to relocate TDC and timing with it, so I can confirm if timing was an issue then.

In the meantime, I need a few other bits n' bobs, so I'll probably throw a few larger jets into the cart at wherever I order from just to have them. I will also take the time to do a proper pressure test before I fight with this thing any more since I haven't done one since I had to re-split the cases.

Sadly, I'm about to run out of time to work on this thing, and it's going to go into storage for a couple months during the move, so I'll only have the Sprint during that time, but that will be a great way to bomb around Nashville while I learn my way around that town.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate! Moving is stressful at the best of times, let alone during 2020 - dang...

But the good stuff - bigger area to work! and a new area to explore via scooter is always a plus!

Scooter talk - have you drilled the carb from the float bowl to the jet chamber? And the AC? 120, 140 or 160?

Bummer you're running out of time to get it running, but hey, it'll be there when you're ready to string new wiring. I'm still running on 57 year old wires.

Hopefully everything goes smooth (as it can be anyway) for the move!
UTC

Jet Eye Master

Jet Eye Master
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
Scooter talk - have you drilled the carb from the float bowl to the jet chamber? And the AC? 120, 140 or 160?
Exactly, if not drilled it will never flood out when tuned. 135 should be enough on an AC120.

Strange move but there's always a reason. I doubt it's just better weather or more music venues.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I have not drilled the carb yet, but do need to. Assuming I'm going to pull the carb off for a leak test anyway, I'll kill two birds with one stone at that time.

I'm on a 120 AC, but per Jack, I'm already maxing the capability of the fuel passage until I drill it, so that's critical path for the carb now.

And, yeah, moving is crazy and stressful, but I'm excited about the change. We wanted to downsize with our daughter in college (in Nashville, but that's not why we're headed there), and we can both work remotely indefinitely, me even if COVID ends, so we decided to go for it.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
And, yeah, moving is crazy and stressful, but I'm excited about the change. We wanted to downsize with our daughter in college (in Nashville, but that's not why we're headed there), and we can both work remotely indefinitely, me even if COVID ends, so we decided to go for it.
Very cool. Some interesting changes due to COVID for sure....
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '78 P200 E '84 Cosa '91 PK50XL2 - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Do you already have a place picked out that meets your specs?
Will it be in 'almost Nashville'? Razz emoticon

Good luck following your heart! Clap emoticon
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Chicago to Nashville is a huge climate change, doesn't that actually give you more nicer weather , and a lot less Wind ? Laughing emoticon

I need to follow along a bit closer with this jetting , which one is the AC jet? Would that be like the pilot jet?
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like a good, not strange, move. Vader always complained about Chicago weather.

Expecting to see some Very Big Things from you in the coming year!
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
UTC quote
Lynnb wrote:
I need to follow along a bit closer with this jetting , which one is the AC jet? Would that be like the pilot jet?
The AC, or Air Corrector is the top portion of the main jet stack, which consists of: the AC/Atomizer/Main Jet. AC's are 120, 140, or 160, and Atomizers are BE1 through BE6, and a couple others, then Main Jets, from the 90's to 1??s.

Tons of threads on this, but CharlieMans sidecar thread has some pretty good info, if you can get through the 50 some odd pages...

When all is said and done, Master Jack is the Jet eye wizard - the definitive source for all things jetting...
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
Lynnb wrote:
The AC, or Air Corrector is the top portion of the main jet stack, which consists of: the AC/Atomizer/Main Jet. AC's are 120, 140, or 160, and Atomizers are BE1 through BE6, and a couple others, then Main Jets, from the 90's to 1??s.

Tons of threads on this, but CharlieMans sidecar thread has some pretty good info, if you can get through the 50 some odd pages...

When all is said and done, Master Jack is the Jet eye wizard - the definitive source for all things jetting...
Thanks Scott I'll pull the jets from the carb and see what I have and do some more reading.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
Sounds like a good, not strange, move. Vader always complained about Chicago weather.

Expecting to see some Very Big Things from you in the coming year!
I'm pretty fired up about it. While I love our current house, it's too big, too expensive, and too much work for just two of us plus a couple dogs.

Nashville has much less winter, isn't that much hotter in the summer, and is just a generally cool town to live in. Plus, there are massive tax advantages, which translates to More GoFast Parts, among other things.

We have a short-term rental (a couple who bought an old Airstream and are going to go tour the country for a couple months) while we look for a place, but are going to be looking for something in East Nashville, Germantown, Sylvan Park, or in the vicinity of any of those. Those are neighborhoods, not suburbs, btw, for those who don't know the town. Basically, a swath of mostly early 20th century homes that runs around the downtown on the north side. The universities & kids are all South of there, with Music Row, Vanderbilt, and Belmont (where our daughter attends).

Chicago weather is great for about three months in the summer. Fall can be good, but you never know, then six months of winter followed by "sprinter," which is when it's supposed to be spring, but it's still hardcore winter here.

As to the VBB, I don't know how much progress I'll make before it goes into storage for a few months, but immediate next steps are:
- Get enough lighting going that I'm street legal-ish (throw in some cheap incandescent bulbs). DC ignition will probably be the SIP/Vape after it comes out of storage so I can run LED & turn signals
- drill out the fuel passage in the carb
- pressure test the whole motor
- Get the jetting set up enough it's not painful to ride
- Shorten the too-long shifter cables
- Ride it as-is until we're settled. I will hopefully be able to keep it at the house we've rented until Xmas so I can work on it around the edges. If not, this thread will go on ice for a few months until we're in a more permanent place.
UTC

Jet Eye Master

Jet Eye Master
UTC quote
Drill out by hand to nominally 2.1mm
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Jack221 wrote:
Drill out by hand to nominally 2.1mm
Yup

I have my pin drill ready and waiting for me to get back out to the garage for a few minutes.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Finally got out to the garage and widened the float bowl passage on the carb. Also ran a pressure test while the carb was off and that looked good.

When I removed the blocking plate, though, one of the carb studs stripped out, so now I have a new stud (and sleeve nuts just to be on the safe side) on order and holding up forward progress again.

I think I'm going to name this bike "2020," because days like today, I feel like it's as cursed as the year that I've now spent most of building it.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Finally got out to the garage and widened the float bowl passage on the carb. Also ran a pressure test while the carb was off and that looked good.

When I removed the blocking plate, though, one of the carb studs stripped out, so now I have a new stud (and sleeve nuts just to be on the safe side) on order and holding up forward progress again.

I think I'm going to name this bike "2020," because days like today, I feel like it's as cursed as the year that I've now spent most of building it.
I think 2020 is a common name for all kinds of things this year. Laughing emoticon
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
I look forward to when we can (literally) have 2020 hindsight...
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
CM(O),
Wow - just catching up.
Love this move.
Extend the scooter season.
Lotsa beer and music to ride to.
Herd of scoots should establish you as a local everyone will wanna know.
Am sure the move is no small effort.
Happy for you.
Sounds like a great adventure.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
thanks, CM2.0!

This is something that's been in the works for a while. My wife has wanted to move to Nashville for several years (we're both from Texas originally), but our jobs kept us in Chicago.

When we started discussing downsizing our current house, she pointed out that our jobs are both going to be 100% remote for at least the next couple of years. Mine will probably stay remote permanently, although I may have to head in to HQ periodically for meetings if it ever re-opens, but I already traveled a fair amount, so that could be from anywhere, too.

This led to me doing some math and determining that Nashville would be very beneficial on a lot of levels, not least of which is the "Happy wife, happy life" factor. Throw in the year-round scootering (without people thinking I'm crazy) and it became kind've a no-brainer. The town reminds me of Austin back in the early 90's before tech and tech money ruined the place, unfortunately including the sense of what's to come, but that's life. Live it while you can.

While I wait for the new carb stud, I'm going to knock out a few shortest-path items to getting back on the road, like shortening the shifter cables and swapping all the lights back to incandescent so I don't waste any more time messing with the electrical system. Eventually I'll probably put another SIP/Vape on it, but that can wait.

I may steal the venturi intake off my Stella and install it For Science since I never ride it currently and it's going to get split for improved intake timings at some point.

The list of projects never ends...
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Chandler it's certainly nice to hear someone has actually used this Pandemic for a good life change. For me its taken away a year of over seas vacation time and long distance riding. We had planned our 8th trip to Italy and actually Sicily to be precise , we were going to rent a couple scooters for a week and dodge the cows up in the mountains. I had also planned a trip to east coast Canada on the bike by myself , I did do a 4000 km 5 day ride but only out to Quebec East coast doing a Gaspe bay tour, unfortunately all the Atlantic provinces were closed.
Boy this is going to be like an adventure for you and your wife, fantastic.

Your life changing event got me thinking back to my life changing event , I included a couple pics from our trip in 2012 when we were first introduced to the scooter scene in Sicily
thats me
thats me
in Canada we have watch the moose , Deer and Turtle crossing signs
in Canada we have watch the moose , Deer and Turtle crossing signs
the things you see coming around the bend
the things you see coming around the bend
pack of goats
pack of goats
beautiful windy road , thottle all the way up and coast back down
beautiful windy road , thottle all the way up and coast back down
Nice
Nice
mount Etna
mount Etna
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Thanks, Lynn!

Yeah, Tennessee is actually in the middle of some beautiful country, which other than Lake Michigan, is not something you can say about Chicago.

It's been a slam dunk process thus far. We sold our house in two days, the sale closes in three more weeks. We have a two month air bn'b lined up for when we arrive, so no stress on that end. We're going to roll down, slide into that place while we get our footing, then find something a little more permanent at our leisure.

We decided we felt like leveraging the situation to do something radical. By my spreadsheetery, the move is going to allow me to retire *years* sooner than I would have otherwise, not to mention doing so in an awesome town.

In the meantime, I had to have an angiogram this week, so I took most of the week off after that. I could probably have worked some, but being able to take a nap during the day if I feel like it has been a big plus.

I got out to the garage today and shortened the shift cables, plus re-installed the carb on the VBB. I'm now spending a little time dialing in the carb. I did a very bad thing and just used a 7mm bolt for the carb until the new stud arrives. I'm not terribly worried about it for a little bit of test riding, plus it let me finish sorting out the electrics, which are now back on AC incandescents for a while.

Current jet stack is a 55/160, 120/BE5 or BE1, I forget/135. It floods pretty hard on the 135, so now I'm going to start walking it down and see what that gets me.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
Even I know that 135 is going to flood Laughing emoticon
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
CM (0) Wow congrats on the move!

Lynn dang I want to drive that road!
@rfman81 avatar
UTC

Hooked
A couple oldies

Hooked
@rfman81 avatar
A couple oldies
UTC quote
Congrats on the move, and good luck.
As someone who has lived in Nashville and still have close ties down there, I miss the year round riding that I got up to. Its hot in the summer so you need summer gear if you wear gear, and you get cold in winter so you bundle up but you can ride year round, I did. I actually set my personal record on both ends of the riding in weather spectrum in heat 101 F and 9 F.
But I will say, you still will be looked at as nuts. Not too many scooters particularly vintage around. At least I was always looked at as insane. There is a small vintage crowd down there though, I miss hanging with them.
@lynnb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1963 VBB2T

Ossessionato
@lynnb avatar
1963 VBB2T
UTC quote
rfman81 wrote:
Congrats on the move, and good luck.
As someone who has lived in Nashville and still have close ties down there, I miss the year round riding that I got up to. Its hot in the summer so you need summer gear if you wear gear, and you get cold in winter so you bundle up but you can ride year round, I did. I actually set my personal record on both ends of the riding in weather spectrum in heat 101 F and 9 F.
But I will say, you still will be looked at as nuts. Not too many scooters particularly vintage around. At least I was always looked at as insane. There is a small vintage crowd down there though, I miss hanging with them.
Huh , I get crazy looks in my town , absolutely no vintage here . Laughing emoticon
Our city is probably 30% Italian heritage , oh the looks and their eyes light right up. The Italians once understood have got to be the friendliest people on earth, maybe why I'm married to one.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I walked the main down to a 125 before I quit for the day. I started having issues with it dying. Took me a good 10 minutes to figure out that it was just out of gas...

So I pumped a little from the Sprint, rode up to the gas station and filled it up. The thing that's really driving me nuts at this point is the dead spot at 1/4 throttle. I mean really dead, like, I can kill it by hitting that spot and not powering it through.

I put the AFM on it just to confirm what was happening, and you can watch the thing go from 13 to "L" then back to 13 as it punches through. It's still probably a little rich on the 125, but I didn't take it down to the 122. Instead, I fabbed a quick n' dirty kickstand peg for my sidestand, which is for a smallie, despite saying VBB in the "fits" section (the mounting holes didn't fit either, for whatever that's worth) and shot a little video of the carb's misbehavior.

A little video of the AFM in action, mostly validating what I already know.

OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
rfman, I grew up and started riding in Texas. Nashville has nothing on Texas for summer heat, so I have that covered. And it gets plenty hot (and humid) here in the summer, very much like Nashville.

As to winter riding...call me when you hit -9f for your record low temp

I have full complements of both summer and winter riding gear, so I'm set. I'm looking forward to having a climate-controlled workshop, which I've put on the "must have" list for any place we wind up in for the long haul.

Still, I'm excited.
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC quote
My guess.
Loose the 160's idle jet if you can't smooth it the rest of the way - or that lag re-appears under load when just riding.
Get into the mid to low 2's for ratio.
In fact, if it is still behaving badly - do yourself a favor and pop a 55-100 in there to wipe it out - then walk it up - but only if needed.
You may be surprised at how rich an idle jet it likes.

Unless your neighbors are moving to Nashville - your street seems as good a spot to tune the scoot as any. 🙂

lookin good.
-CM
UTC

Jet Eye Master

Jet Eye Master
UTC quote
Definitely lean. If further confirmation is what you need.

How you know the main jet is slightly rich? I hope it's because it splutters faintly at WOT and the plug chop is a dark heavy ring. And not because of what the AFR reads. Fine tuning with an AFR for guidance will blow it up.

What are all the jets in the carb?
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Jack, the AFR was strictly in the garage to validate what I already knew about the 1/4 throttle lean spot--this is a batteryless AC bike, so I couldn't run it out in the world if I wanted to.

Yes, it splutters slightly at WOT. I didn't go down a jet yet because I want to see what it does in 3rd and 4th gear, but didn't check those yesterday. On the bright side, I can get this bike to WOT in 4th on the same roads that I can barely get WOT in 2nd on the Sprint

I'll try throwing a much richer idle jet in and see what that gets me as a next step. This weekend is going to be mostly about move-related stuff, though.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Oh yeah...I thought I posted them, but the jets are:

55/160
120-BE3-125

I feel like I'm about to go complete my Idle Jet Collection and pick up some new slides while I'm at it...
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2442s ][ Queries: 44 (0.1411s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]