MP3 400ie, 2009 model, throttle does not untilt
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:39 am quote
Hello all,
I have been away for a while traveling so I did not ride or have issues or even answer in this forum. Now I am back and I will be write more.
In the past two weeks I worked on my scooter: Piaggio MP3, 400ie, 2009 model.
In the past two weeks I worked on my scooter: Piaggio MP3, 400ie, 2009 model. The issue was the parking brake cable got damaged, so it needed changing. So I put my sleeves up and got to it. This job required to strip the Scooter till all is removed, just the chassis and the motor, what a job!!! it took me 3 days with a help of a mechanic for when I got stuck. I enjoyed it and it was a learning curve. As mentioned I striped it down and put it back, one note, I had few extra screws.....
the mechanic told me it is normal , the issue is after I put everything back and attaching all the cables etc... once I put the tilt lock on and then use the throttle to move, the scooter does not release the tilt lock and does not move, the motor hicks up... until I have to remove the tilt using the button on the scooter, and if I push it, it will turn off a (in the video from start till 0:39, and from 1:35 to 1:50). Once I unlock the tilt manually, it will run beautifully, see the video.
I like to know if anyone experienced this? Or knows what is the most probable cause/issue, before I strip it again. Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

I did a video in Youtube, please see it to know what I am mean or facing:

Title:
Giving throttle does not unlock the Tilt automatically in Piaggio MP3, 400ie, 2009 model, Help!

Link:
thanks all,
Safe riding all.

Last edited by abcdef on Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:19 am quote
diid you remove the seat and if so did you reconnect the cable
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:29 am quote
Maksor wrote:
diid you remove the seat and if so did you reconnect the cable
Hi, yes I attached the cable again, but will check it again. thanks
Hooked
2008 fuoco
Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:25 am quote
I coulden't quite understand some of your posting but i had one of the tilt lock brake cylinders stick on once after sitting clamped on over winter.Could this be your problem?. I always have screws left over after removing panels it's a right pain in the bum.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:26 pm quote
3legsofman wrote:
I coulden't quite understand some of your posting but i had one of the tilt lock brake cylinders stick on once after sitting clamped on over winter.Could this be your problem?. I always have screws left over after removing panels it's a right pain in the bum.
Hi,
I did a video to show what the issue is, have a look at the updated description.
Thanks,
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 pm quote
Indeed the problem is with butt sensor.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 am quote
Jah wrote:
Indeed the problem is with butt sensor.
I doubt it is. The only thing I did was to detach the cable of that sensor once I removed the seat, and I attached in when I put the seat back. I also checked it was attached after Makosr mentioned it, and removed it and tested without being connected and attached it again and tried again as in the video.
FYI: after thinking about this issue, the sensor will not let the tilt unlock if there is no one is sitting on the scooter, but I don't think it has to do with it.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 am quote
Do you have "!" light after you sat on your seat?
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri May 01, 2020 11:28 pm quote
Jah wrote:
Do you have "!" light after you sat on your seat?
No lights are lit other than the locking tilt light which is normal.
thanks
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Sat May 02, 2020 2:57 am quote
Can you make a video of a dashboard when you lock and unlock your suspension and stand up from the seat? How many times do you have to push the switch to lock and unlock?
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 am quote
Jah wrote:
Can you make a video of a dashboard when you lock and unlock your suspension and stand up from the seat? How many times do you have to push the switch to lock and unlock?
I was going to do it today but did not have a chance, but after reading your comment again, I want to confirm that you want a video of me trying to lock the tilt and unlock while standing up? . What would this achieve? testing if the sensor works as it should? please can you give some clarification?
I will do a video tomorrow.
thanks,
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Sun May 03, 2020 3:22 am quote
Double click the unlock button and see what happens.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sun May 03, 2020 4:05 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
Double click the unlock button and see what happens.
I don't want to touch the button at all, I want to unlock it when I use the throttle to move. It unlocks when I use the button.
But I will lock it and unlock it by double click the button. I don't see how that should help.
thanks for your comment.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Sun May 03, 2020 5:49 am quote
I wanna see if your seat sensor works. So please show us how your "!" light shows and hides when you stand and sit
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sun May 03, 2020 11:35 am quote
bad seat sensor
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sun May 03, 2020 10:37 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
bad seat sensor
Thanks you are right. See the other comment please, your input will be appreciated.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sun May 03, 2020 11:01 pm quote
Jah wrote:
I wanna see if your seat sensor works. So please show us how your "!" light shows and hides when you stand and sit
Thanks, You are right on and on the right direction. It turns out it is the seat sensor.
I have tested today and took pictures.
I have tested the scooter by standing beside it and putting the front wheels lock on, and off -one time only- . and it did lock and unlock. This means that the sensor is not working.
I made a mistake in my comment before where the light was normal, that light was the warning lights that the front lock has a problem (the read light with tilted wheels).
I have a downloaded copy of the user manual which I obtained it from the web, I did not get a manual when I bought my scooter, I bought it second hand. I could not find anything about the trouble shooting of the red tilting wheel red light.

The pictures are:
The dashboard while the scooter is on and engine is off, there is the red oil and front wheels tilting wheels and yellow tilting wheels lights are on.
The dashboard while the scooter is on and engine is on there is the red front wheels tilting and yellow front wheels tilting lights on.
The sensor which is under the seat,
The sensor on the body of the scooter which is under the under seat storage.

It turns out that the sensor is not working well and that is why it is hicking up when I try to twist and go while the tilt lock is on. Just recap, I changed the parking brake cable as it got damaged. I dismantle it all, and I disconnected the power from the battery. Then I put everything back and connected the battery. So is there is resetting for the sensor , or is there anything that I should do? Or should I send it to the Piaggio dealership.
Any comments or notes will be appreciated and upon mentioning anything relating to the sensor, please indicate if you mean under the seat or under the seat storage.

IMG_20200504_153345.jpg

IMG_20200504_153407.jpg

IMG_20200504_153234.jpg

IMG_20200504_153254.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon May 04, 2020 3:15 am quote
piaggio does not sell the seat sensor severalty, you have to buy a complete seat.

look around for a used one is my suggestion and for the mean time just use the switch.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon May 04, 2020 4:39 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
piaggio does not sell the seat sensor severalty, you have to buy a complete seat.

look around for a used one is my suggestion and for the mean time just use the switch.
Isn't there a way to put a resistor in the seat sensor circuit to bypass it?
Granted, then the MP3 will think there is ALWAYS someone sitting on the seat.
So some risk there....
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Mon May 04, 2020 6:56 am quote
Yep, 3K ohms from one wire to the other will bypass the seat sensor. Any size will do- 1/4 watt might be best because it has thicker leads than an 1/8 watt.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Mon May 04, 2020 10:34 am quote
I bet the seat sensor connection pulled apart again while the panels were being replaced. I can remember always having a battle with it on my Fuoco.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon May 04, 2020 11:22 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
old as dirt wrote:

Isn't there a way to put a resistor in the seat sensor circuit to bypass it?
Granted, then the MP3 will think there is ALWAYS someone sitting on the seat.
So some risk there....
I personally am not a fan of doing the resistor bypass. I think the risks are to great if you happen to have a high idle or touch the throttle and off she goes. much rather see folks manually unlock with the switch, this way they KNOW when its unlocked.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Tue May 05, 2020 12:13 am quote
MP3 400ie, 2009 model, throttle does not untilt
abcdef wrote:
Jah wrote:
Thanks, You are right on and on the right direction. It turns out it is the seat sensor.
I have tested today and took pictures.
I have tested the scooter by standing beside it and putting the front wheels lock on, and off -one time only- . and it did lock and unlock. This means that the sensor is not working.
I made a mistake in my comment before where the light was normal, that light was the warning lights that the front lock has a problem (the read light with tilted wheels).
I have a downloaded copy of the user manual which I obtained it from the web, I did not get a manual when I bought my scooter, I bought it second hand. I could not find anything about the trouble shooting of the red tilting wheel red light.

The pictures are:
The dashboard while the scooter is on and engine is off, there is the red oil and front wheels tilting wheels and yellow tilting wheels lights are on.
The dashboard while the scooter is on and engine is on there is the red front wheels tilting and yellow front wheels tilting lights on.
The sensor which is under the seat,
The sensor on the body of the scooter which is under the under seat storage.

It turns out that the sensor is not working well and that is why it is hicking up when I try to twist and go while the tilt lock is on. Just recap, I changed the parking brake cable as it got damaged. I dismantle it all, and I disconnected the power from the battery. Then I put everything back and connected the battery. So is there is resetting for the sensor , or is there anything that I should do? Or should I send it to the Piaggio dealership.
Any comments or notes will be appreciated and upon mentioning anything relating to the sensor, please indicate if you mean under the seat or under the seat storage.
Hello all, I have read some comments after the above post, so can someone let me know what action is best to do:
as above, I managed to lock and unlock the tilt by moving the button once. So the sensor is not working, do I need to reset anything? or I forgot to attach any cables? or where can I find more info on this matter, or just send it to Piaggio dealership? thanks again for your comments and insights,

EDIT: New symptom, this happened twice after I changed the parking brake cable, the scooter just died and it was because the cable attached to the spark plug got lose, this happened twice, a note, when I was removing the parts and putting back again, the mechanic looked at one cable (I am not a mechanic and I don't know the names of the parts but try to describe as much as possible) that connects or attached to the cable which attached with the spark plug told me it is not good as from the inside the color is green which mean it is not good. but from my side (again not a mechanic) as the scooter runs well and the effectiveness is not affected, I don't know. So any insights or should this should affect the senor under the seat? do I have two issues or one which is related to each other? also, why do the cable keeps disconnecting from the spark plug side? any comments is appreciated and thanks,

Cheers,
Hooked
2009 MP3 400
Tue May 05, 2020 3:32 am quote
Two separate issues:

Spark plug cable may be corroded (green), or the clip inside the boot may be loose and that's why it doesn't stay put. I've never had to do it but it may be possible to replace the connector.

For the seat sensor fault it's time to grab your continuity tester and start checking for wiring faults. There is nothing to reset. The sensor itself is just an on/off connection. Simple enough to test. Could also try the resistor bypass method to verify the signal is getting upstream in the other direction.

My bet is something got pulled or pinched while you were disassembling.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Tue May 05, 2020 6:02 am quote
pmatulew wrote:
Two separate issues:

Spark plug cable may be corroded (green), or the clip inside the boot may be loose and that's why it doesn't stay put. I've never had to do it but it may be possible to replace the connector.

For the seat sensor fault it's time to grab your continuity tester and start checking for wiring faults. There is nothing to reset. The sensor itself is just an on/off connection. Simple enough to test. Could also try the resistor bypass method to verify the signal is getting upstream in the other direction.

My bet is something got pulled or pinched while you were disassembling.
Hello,
Thank you for your comment. Although I got the basic idea of it, I am not a mechanic but my friend is and will help me with that. Thanks alot, but for the sensor issue, if I don't manage to find the weakness point, am I able to replay the senor or I need the whole seat (as mentioned by other poster)? do you advice that I take it to Piaggio dealership. thanks,
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Tue May 05, 2020 6:30 am quote
OHMITE FSR01CE pressure sensing resistor pad will work as a replacement. But you'd have to uncover the seat to install it, and it's not waterproof so you would need to bodge something up for that. I believe the original sensor is pretty good, though, and it's likely there's just a broken or shorted wire somewhere preventing it from working.

Try testing it with a multimeter on resistance mode. The resistance between the two wires coming from under the seat should vary smoothly with pressure on the center of the front of the seat, from 100's of K ohms with no pressure to hundreds of ohms when pressing on the sensor area (right about where your "taint" would land if you were sitting on it). If it varies smoothly in resistance, then the sensor is fine; look for a short or open circuit elsewhere.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Tue May 05, 2020 7:49 am quote
You still have not said if you've double-checked the seat sensor connector - it's notorious for coming undone while putting back the panels and the seat.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Tue May 05, 2020 8:46 am quote
Squeazel wrote:
OHMITE FSR01CE pressure sensing resistor pad will work as a replacement. But you'd have to uncover the seat to install it, and it's not waterproof so you would need to bodge something up for that. I believe the original sensor is pretty good, though, and it's likely there's just a broken or shorted wire somewhere preventing it from working.

Try testing it with a multimeter on resistance mode. The resistance between the two wires coming from under the seat should vary smoothly with pressure on the center of the front of the seat, from 100's of K ohms with no pressure to hundreds of ohms when pressing on the sensor area (right about where your "taint" would land if you were sitting on it). If it varies smoothly in resistance, then the sensor is fine; look for a short or open circuit elsewhere.
The seat has a piece of plastic between the cover and the foam to keep the foam dry. So the sensor shouldn't get wet.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Tue May 05, 2020 1:56 pm quote
Squeazel wrote:

Thank you for your comment, I will ask my friend to go through this, as mentioned, I understood the basic of it but not all.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Tue May 05, 2020 1:57 pm quote
jimc wrote:
You still have not said if you've double-checked the seat sensor connector - it's notorious for coming undone while putting back the panels and the seat.
thanks, I have checked that several times, if you read my other posts, I disconnected it and checked the scooter without it was connected and checked it was connected several times. Just to confirm do you mean the one under the seat or under the seat storage (as in the pictures above) or is there other connection that I am not aware of, thanks
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:40 pm quote
Fixed now! Finally!!!! Yes Yes Yes!!!!!
jimc wrote:
Hi,
I just like to give an update!!! you were right, it was something electrical with the connections, I found it by chance and it did not take more than 30 minutes to fix and now my beloved scooter is up and running as new. I changed the front steering bearing, the rear wheel and the drive belt (The dealership that is). Now is it working as straight fresh from the dealer. It is great!!!!,
thanks all for all your contributions.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1981s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0509s) ][ Debug on ]