Problems putting rear tire back on LX 150 2007
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
LX 150 2007
Fri May 01, 2020 3:38 pm quote
Hello all, hoping you and yours are well.

Could really use some advice...

So I've removed the exhaust, rear tire, changed oils, changed belt, inspected/cleaned/replaced some variator parts, given it heart and soul, etc etc but now I can't get the damn rear tire back on. Although it appears the grooves are lining up, it just doesn't go past what you see in the photo, so I can't place the washer, nut, cover and cotter pin and finish getting my Ray back on the road.

I did have to use a breaker bar and an extra set of hands to help get the nut off as it was tight, but it doesn't look like the protruding piece that connects to the tire is bent, or too bent that I shouldn't be able to at least get the tire on and go from there. The picture doesn't show how well the grooves seem to align..but it does make it look at little bit more bent that it looks in person.

In learning how to remove/replace tire by watching videos (big ups HappyParrot and Robot) I noticed it was ok to use mallet to remove tire, but not so much to put it back in as I imagine it can ruin the grooves. I put anti-seize which should help it glide in, and gave it a lil mallet anyway- but nothing worked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5091.jpg

Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Fri May 01, 2020 4:16 pm quote
Greetings:

Are the brake shoes pushed outward and fouling the drum? Can you pull the axle shaft left-right by hand?
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri May 01, 2020 5:42 pm quote
I agree your brake pads are probably coming in contact with the wheel. You can pull the spindle out about 1/4 inch by hand. This is part of the play in the rear gear box. Normal. Give another pic without the wheel on the hub if you are still having problems.
LX 150 2007
Fri May 01, 2020 11:16 pm quote
Really appreciate your responses.

Iím unclear what the normal position should be. The 2 pad areas push inward but they automatically push back.

The axle shaft rotates but it doesnít pull left, right or any direction really.

The pictures will give you an idea of what it looks like. If Iím understanding correctly and the spindle and axle shaft are the same, then it doesnít pull out at all by hand.

Tnx

IMG_5208.jpg

IMG_5207.jpg

IMG_5205.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 pm quote
Your rear brake is partically engaged. So when you took the tire off it expanded and now you can't get it back on. If you look at the bottom I wear the wheel would be you will see a cable. Should be a 10 mm socket and wrench, before the connector you hold with an open-end wrench and the last part of the cable you turn counter-clockwise with a ratchet or wrench and you should be able to loosen that cable. Let me see if I can post a picture here of how your rear hub should look like when the brakes are completely disengaged.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Fri May 01, 2020 11:37 pm quote
Ease off the brake cable a little.
Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri May 01, 2020 11:41 pm quote
The pin should be flat, yours is sideways making the brake drum expand.

20200502_034007.jpg

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri May 01, 2020 11:48 pm quote
Your lever is sideways this makes the drum brake expand. Compare with my picture.

Hold onto this nut with a 10mm wrench or an adjustable or a vice grip.

Turn this nut counterclockwise until loose. You will be able to adjust the #2 nut by hand backwards to give some cable back towards your brake handle.
It looks like you had your brakes too tight and were dragging while you were riding.

20200502_034329.jpg

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150
Fri May 01, 2020 11:52 pm quote
Oh, and I forgot that the play in the shaft disappears when your clutch bolt is tightened. So you are right you should have no play in it if your crankcase cover nut is tight.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Sun May 03, 2020 6:34 am quote
Clean the shaft splines with a wire brush. From your picture I can see there is a lot of debris on them.

I am following the thread closely because I have little experience maintaining drum brakes. It's all a learning experience for me.
Hooked
2010 S50 Modified "Punkin"; 2003 ET4 150 "ISO"
Sun May 03, 2020 7:13 am quote
Greetings:

Znomit and Orange nailed it! Look at the scuffs at the center of the brake shoe - seems to confirm. Loosen the brake cable all the way to achieve Installation.
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Sun May 03, 2020 8:10 am quote
Any expert opinions on the antiseize here?

I think those splines should be lightly lubricated with molybdenum grease. I would be concerned that antiseize will melt and spatter onto the drum.

I am a huge proponent of antiseize, especially in multi-metal assemblies, but am stingy with it around the brakes to the point of avoidance.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sun May 03, 2020 9:10 am quote
One issue with anti-sieze is that you have to keep it off of threads. A fastener and/or its mating thread will give a false reading on a torque wrench. The chance for over-tightening is a given. Fastener torques are specified with clean, lightly lubricated threads. I know some people like to put it on fasteners to make them come off easier but that is a risky practice.
Hooked
S150, Beo 500ie
Sun May 03, 2020 9:36 am quote
I think I agree with you on the torque wrench (although that is a complex and debated subject as many do not fully grasp the intricacies of fastener stretch), but not with keeping it ďoff threads.Ē It is absolutely intended for use in threads to prevent galling and the electrolytic corrosion that happens when dissimilar metals are in contact.

(My solution FBOW is to tighten to the low end of the torque range and, knock in wood, I have never had a torque problem with antiseized fasteners.)

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/6-tips-for-effective-use-of-anti-seize

But the question here is about its use on splines.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX 150 (memories)
Sponsor
Granturismo 218
Sun May 03, 2020 11:45 am quote
Loosen the brake cable, and while you're at it, put grease on the threads. Turn the barrel nut enough so you can get grease on the entire threaded part of the brake cable. Not anti-sieze, just grease. Clean the splines of the axle, and put grease on them too. Don't be stingy. put a good film of grease on the splined part of the axle. Put the wheel on the axle. If it won't go all the way onto the axle, put on a washer, and then the nut, and tighten it. If you can't get the nut threaded with a washer there, take the washer off and just use the nut to get it on far enough that you can remove the nut, put on a washer, and start again. It will pull the wheel all the way onto the axle. If you didn't grease the axle, it's not going to want to come off, so have at it. Once the wheel is all the way on the axle, tighten the nut, either with an impact wrench or a long ratchet/breaker bar.
Spin the wheel on the axle and adjust the brake.
LX 150 2007
Sun May 03, 2020 9:05 pm quote
Ladies and Gents,

Was trying to get back earlier but itís been another bizarre day in my neck of the woods and just catching a peaceful breath now to reciprocate the love.

I am truly humbled and thankful to report that thanks to each and every one of your contributions - Ray is back in action.

Your collective wisdom was spot on. I loosened up the brake cable, let the wire brush do its magic, put just a lilí grease for good measure, then everything else fell into place. Wheelman, orange, znomit, Max, Juan, NightWing, Motovista- infinite thanks for the prompt and detailed feedback.

Lady Liberty sends her love as well.

Godspeed.

Ray.jpg

Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2988s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0620s) ][ Debug on ]