Paiggio MP3 400ie 2009 model seat sensor not working.
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu May 07, 2020 3:32 am quote
Hello all,
I wrote about this is in other post

MP3 400ie, 2009 model, throttle does not untilt

I got good replies, update is that I changed the spark plug cable. They make these scooters with a very bad design, If you want to do something, you need to strip it all apart, that is how they are making their money!!! To tell the truth, If I knew of these problems and the design of the MP3 I would not have bought it, although I love it, but now it is a pain more than joy!!!!
Why I changed my mind is the seat sensor!!!!
I needed to change the parking brake cable so I had to strip it all which I did, once I put it back together, the tilt locking does not unlock automatically when I give it power using the throttle upon going forward on traffic lights (this is how I found out it is not working). Is there a reason why this happened? When I took it apart, I was careful of disconnecting all cables especially the one under the seat (relating to the sensor) and then I put it back. but it has gone bad. Now I can lock and unlock the tilt while standing next to the scooter (not sitting on it) and when I move forward using the throttle it does not unlock automatically, and I got angry to read that to change the senor I need to change the whole seat, which is costly!!!!!
I like to know if there is a way to fix the sensor and why did this happen?
I know I received comments on my previous post, but I thought to do this one as the other one got too long with comments.
Here is the video to explain my issue:
Thanks all for your comments and helps. I am seeking other comments.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Thu May 07, 2020 4:17 am quote
Re: Paiggio MP3 400ie 2009 model seat sensor not working.
abcdef wrote:
Hello all,
I wrote about this is in other post

MP3 400ie, 2009 model, throttle does not untilt

I got good replies, update is that I changed the spark plug cable. They make these scooters with a very bad design, If you want to do something, you need to strip it all apart, that is how they are making their money!!! To tell the truth, If I knew of these problems and the design of the MP3 I would not have bought it, although I love it, but now it is a pain more than joy!!!!
Why I changed my mind is the seat sensor!!!!
I needed to change the parking brake cable so I had to strip it all which I did, once I put it back together, the tilt locking does not unlock automatically when I give it power using the throttle upon going forward on traffic lights (this is how I found out it is not working). Is there a reason why this happened? When I took it apart, I was careful of disconnecting all cables especially the one under the seat (relating to the sensor) and then I put it back. but it has gone bad. Now I can lock and unlock the tilt while standing next to the scooter (not sitting on it) and when I move forward using the throttle it does not unlock automatically, and I got angry to read that to change the senor I need to change the whole seat, which is costly!!!!!

Thanks all for your comments and helps. I am seeking other comments.
If you don't want to deal with plastic removal, don't get a plastic scooter get a naked motorcycle.
Not that bad once you do it a few time, just takes time.
Molto Verboso
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
Thu May 07, 2020 8:47 am quote
Yeah, the panels can be a bear on many scooters.
I bought the $8 service manual to check out things for ease of DIYing - before buying my Liberty.
After owning a few scooters on a budget - one learns what to avoid.
O.S.
Hooked
50cc Beo, BigBeo
Thu May 07, 2020 11:04 pm quote
Believe me, mp3s are incredibly clever made in terms of service. You can't find any other scooter which allows valves adjusted without any tupperware removal. Only 2 covers and all done.

Regarding your problem: its you who broke the sensor or wire or connector. Not Piaggio designers. I see nothing to discuss here (neither in one, nor in two topics). You gotta do two things:
1. Find what's broken (by temporary replacing your seat sensor by a resistor at connector)
2. Replace the broken thing.

Discussing Piaggio or mp3 or bad luck or whatever won't work anyhow except more explainations why you're wrong while speaking instead of working.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Fri May 08, 2020 3:05 pm quote
Jah wrote:
Believe me, mp3s are incredibly clever made in terms of service. You can't find any other scooter which allows valves adjusted without any tupperware removal. Only 2 covers and all done.

Regarding your problem: its you who broke the sensor or wire or connector. Not Piaggio designers. I see nothing to discuss here (neither in one, nor in two topics). You gotta do two things:
1. Find what's broken (by temporary replacing your seat sensor by a resistor at connector)

Discussing Piaggio or mp3 or bad luck or whatever won't work anyhow except more explainations why you're wrong while speaking instead of working.
Thanks for your comment and I disagree you with about the design, nothing is perfect in life I agree to that, but in order to replace or change something, I think the design could be better by removing the side panels for example without the need to remove all the back area or top area, I had to change the Spark Plug cable (connecting the spark plug to the unit just below the seat - sorry I am not a mechanic so I don't know the name of it) I had to remove the topbox, the back panels the side panels, the part over the fuel tank,,,, see what I mean, this could have been designed better.
I removed every thing with ease, I am sure about that, because if not, things will brake and it is costly to replace. Now I may have done something wrong without knowing, I agree with that, but to know that you need to replace the whole seat for the sensor.... come on... this is just too much, this is other problem with the design.... I love my scooter, don't get me wrong, but with these issues and if I knew of them before, I would not have bought it, this is what the manufactures need to consider, before, this experience, I would recommend it to anyone, but now, I would give them the warning about the issues and will not recommend them to buy it, See the difference.
I agree with you completely that if someone misuses the product it is not the manufacture's fault.
For your info, I went to a Piaggio dealer yesterday and he saw it and he told he never ever seen this problem before..... I will be contacting other piaggio dealerships, maybe the mechanics there saw this problem.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat May 09, 2020 2:53 pm quote
abcdef wrote:
Jah wrote:

Thanks for your comment and I disagree you with about the design, nothing is perfect in life I agree to that, but in order to replace or change something, I think the design could be better by removing the side panels for example without the need to remove all the back area or top area, I had to change the Spark Plug cable (connecting the spark plug to the unit just below the seat - sorry I am not a mechanic so I don't know the name of it) I had to remove the topbox, the back panels the side panels, the part over the fuel tank,,,, see what I mean, this could have been designed better.
I removed every thing with ease, I am sure about that, because if not, things will brake and it is costly to replace. Now I may have done something wrong without knowing, I agree with that, but to know that you need to replace the whole seat for the sensor.... come on... this is just too much, this is other problem with the design.... I love my scooter, don't get me wrong, but with these issues and if I knew of them before, I would not have bought it, this is what the manufactures need to consider, before, this experience, I would recommend it to anyone, but now, I would give them the warning about the issues and will not recommend them to buy it, See the difference.
I agree with you completely that if someone misuses the product it is not the manufacture's fault.
For your info, I went to a Piaggio dealer yesterday and he saw it and he told he never ever seen this problem before..... I will be contacting other piaggio dealerships, maybe the mechanics there saw this problem.
you self ADMIT your not a mechanic but are BITCHING about wrenching on a vehicle you know nothing about. WOW. just WOW.

Highly recommend you let the professional mechanics preform the maintenance you need because they won't break things because they KNOW what they are doing. Yes it might cost you more for them to work on it but what's it costing you now?

Alot of folks THINK they know what to do and screw things up so bad they blame everyone but themselves.

I have been wrenching on these MP3's since 2007 when they first came to the USA and have no issues properly removing panels or anything else on them.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sat May 09, 2020 3:02 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
abcdef wrote:
Jah wrote:

you self ADMIT your not a mechanic but are BITCHING about wrenching on a vehicle you know nothing about. WOW. just WOW.

Highly recommend you let the professional mechanics preform the maintenance you need because they won't break things because they KNOW what they are doing. Yes it might cost you more for them to work on it but what's it costing you now?

Alot of folks THINK they know what to do and screw things up so bad they blame everyone but themselves.

I have been wrenching on these MP3's since 2007 when they first came to the USA and have no issues properly removing panels or anything else on them.
WOW,,,, you sound Piaggio himself.... you misunderstood what I wrote. Are you a mechanic yourself? You took constructive criticism as negative insult. If you don't have anything positive to write, dont waste my time or the space here. I don't have time for someone who does not understand and just likes to brag. Go get a life. FYI, I did all the work in my friend workshop whose is mechanic, I did the easy stuff while he did the technical work. Not everyone is like you, I know my limits and know when to ask for help.

If you are a mechanic, tell me what is the problem (If you are smart as you say), I talked to two Piaggio dealership mechanics, and both stated they never saw this problem before.....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm quote
abcdef wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
abcdef wrote:
Jah wrote:

WOW,,,, you sound Piaggio himself.... you misunderstood what I wrote. Are you a mechanic yourself? You took constructive criticism as negative insult. If you don't have anything positive to write, dont waste my time or the space here. I don't have time for someone who does not understand and just likes to brag. Go get a life.

If you are a mechanic, tell me what is the problem (If you are smart as you say), I talked to two Piaggio dealership mechanics, and both stated they never saw this problem before.....
already did but you didn't read it apparently. I did not misunderstand what you wrote. As far as wasting space this ain't your space its everyones who is a registered member here on MV.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sat May 09, 2020 3:18 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
abcdef wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
abcdef wrote:
Jah wrote:

WOW,,,, you sound Piaggio himself.... you misunderstood what I wrote. Are you a mechanic yourself? You took constructive criticism as negative insult. If you don't have anything positive to write, dont waste my time or the space here. I don't have time for someone who does not understand and just likes to brag. Go get a life.

already did but you didn't read it apparently. I did not misunderstand what you wrote. As far as wasting space this ain't your space its everyones who is a registered member here on MV.
I will not go into war of words, not worth it, I read what you wrote as bad sensor. but what about this problem??? so you don't think changing the whole seat for a small part is not a major design problem, not to Piaggio as they will make more money but also generating lot of waste, instead of changing one part, a person is throwing away the whole seat, so you don't consider this a major design problem?
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat May 09, 2020 4:40 pm quote

So your seat sensor went bad ONLY when you removed the seat. You don't think that somehow you might have compromised a connection? I'm sorry, your seat was fine until you meddled with it - and seat sensors do not tend to go bad unless something 'different' is done to the seat, like re-covering it for instance by someone unaware of the sensor.

As far as I can see, you brought this on yourself, so why you think it's worth bitching about the design of the seat which has been pretty stable for the last fourteen years is beyond me.

There are loads of other parts on these bikes that are an assembly of smaller parts - do you think you should be able to buy all the individual bits that make up the throttle body for instance?

Now, try the resistor bypass and see if that works.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sat May 09, 2020 5:06 pm quote
jimc wrote:

So your seat sensor went bad ONLY when you removed the seat. You don't think that somehow you might have compromised a connection? I'm sorry, your seat was fine until you meddled with it - and seat sensors do not tend to go bad unless something 'different' is done to the seat, like re-covering it for instance by someone unaware of the sensor.

As far as I can see, you brought this on yourself, so why you think it's worth bitching about the design of the seat which has been pretty stable for the last fourteen years is beyond me.

There are loads of other parts on these bikes that are an assembly of smaller parts - do you think you should be able to buy all the individual bits that make up the throttle body for instance?

Now, try the resistor bypass and see if that works.
If you read my previous posts, I did say I may have done something without knowing, I was careful when removing the parts, this is the 3rd time I did this (and first for the seat). Nevertheless, The Piaggio mechanics did not see this problem before, and up to now, no one mentioned that they have seen this issue. I am not bitching, I was angry that to change the sensor you need the whole seat! I don't mind changing the sensor, this is the issue. Also, one of the Piaggio mechanics told me that these senors can go off by themselves,,, it could be that it has nothing to do with me (the scooter is 11 years old now).
For example, one time I got some work done by body shop (insurance job as someone hit me) after I took the scooter the indicator did not work and I thought the mechanic did something wrong to the scooter, it turned out that the switch went bad (at the same time) and I changed it, no issues, it is wear and tear !!!!
I am trying to find someone who faced the same problem and would tell me what is the cause or how to be fixed. There is a possibility that it is not the seat senor at all and it is something else. Considering buying a whole seat and then the problem is still there!
I prefer to have the bike working as it should, if not, then I will try the resistor bypass.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sat May 09, 2020 5:18 pm quote
Please try the resistor bypass ASAP - this will tell you if all the wiring and parking ECU is working as it should.

After that you're into looking to see how on earth the wire from that seat connector into the seat can have been pulled so hard it tore an internal connection open.

If, say, the seat dangled on its connecting wire, that could have ripped the connection on the sensor itself. If so, you could open up the seat and hopefully mend that connection. You'd have to open up the seat anyway if the sensor was a spare part...
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sat May 09, 2020 7:30 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Please try the resistor bypass ASAP - this will tell you if all the wiring and parking ECU is working as it should.

After that you're into looking to see how on earth the wire from that seat connector into the seat can have been pulled so hard it tore an internal connection open.

If, say, the seat dangled on its connecting wire, that could have ripped the connection on the sensor itself. If so, you could open up the seat and hopefully mend that connection. You'd have to open up the seat anyway if the sensor was a spare part...
Thank you so much, I will try that, what I mean I will ask my friend (mechanic ) to do it as I may do more damage than fix it. I will keep you posted. thanks, again for your recommendation.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:43 pm quote
Fixed now! Finally!!!! Yes Yes Yes!!!!!
jimc wrote:

Hi,
No need for the bypass at all, as you mentioned in your previous comment you were right, it was the seat connector, I found it by chance and it did not take more than 30 minutes to fix and now my beloved scooter is up and running as new. I changed the front steering bearing, the rear wheel and the drive belt (The dealership that is). Now is it working as straight fresh from the dealer. It is great!!!!,
thanks all for all your contributions.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1547s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0325s) ][ Debug on ]