Curiosity BGM177 or VMC177 on a Reed Valve Stella
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Fri May 08, 2020 4:42 am quote
Just sitting here thinking and looking at a few choices if my PM Tuning Exhaust doesn't help get me to 60 MPH. This is fairly flat ground, no real hills i'm talking about. Thinking more of a plug and play at the moment. I could work on the transfer ports a bit if needed, thinking stuff a plug into the hole around the crankshaft hole, grind away and clean up when I'm done. I think this may be buried in another on eof my threads but even I'm having issues finding it this morning, and thought a dedicated thread might be nice.

I like the idea of the BGM 177 because of it flexibility with setting squish heights with the drop into the cylinder head. I think a few here have looked at port timing with the BGM not sure how they look with a 57mm crankshaft. I have seen and need to find the BGM numbers in their cylinder literature.

I have also been told a VMC 177 works well, with the Stella motor. Again no idea what to expect for port timing numbers with a stock 57MM crank.

For those of you that have gone from a DR 177 to one of these kits have any real world input?
Molto Verboso
One or two fun scoots....nothing too precious
Fri May 08, 2020 5:34 am quote
The BGM will give you great power, relatively low down, but on a 57, you'll run out of RPM fairly quickly. Mine probably never hit much more than 6500 in 4th, although it was upgeared to 23/68 in a PX150 with 100/90 tyres, so that translated to an easy 65+ mph. For real power and revs, you'll want a 60mm crank with either kit. I have a VMC177 in a. box, and it's timings with a 57 are very low. See my thread about my aborted lockdown challenge.

[Edit] I used a DR177 prior to the BGM.
Addicted
2007 Stella 150
Ossessionato
05 Stella, '62 VBB, 76 Sprint V, 63 GL
Sat May 09, 2020 4:16 am quote
You'll be reed-limited pretty quickly if you're on the stock stella reed block.

I run a BGM 177 on my Stella motor and get loads of power, but it's a beast of a build, so I'm not sure mine counts.

I can't comment on the VMC, but I might be interested in checking it out just for giggles at some point.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2623s ][ Queries: 26 (0.0539s) ][ Debug on ]