Proper gap for new sparkplug?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Author Message
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 3247
Location: Burlington NC
Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:39 pm quote
Ok I got the sparkplug for the GT. Now I need to gap it. What ie th proper gap? Thanks in advance, Beale.
Banned
M@
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Posts: 3536
Location: Napa
Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:48 pm quote
0.7 to 0.8mm
i use Denzo plugs both of the ones i got were perfect right out of the box
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 7275
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:48 pm quote
0.7~0.8mm or .028~.031in

tightening torque is 9~10lb/ft or 12~14nm

which plug did you wind up going with?

best,
-greasy
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 3247
Location: Burlington NC
Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:54 pm quote
Sparkplug gap
Thanks for the quick reply on the plug. I ended up with the NGK CR8EIX I could not locate a Denso locally, I live in a small town. I saw that plug listed on another site. I hope it is ok. If not tell me and i will order another, Beale.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 7275
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:05 pm quote
Re: Sparkplug gap
Beale wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply on the plug. I ended up with the NGK CR8EIX I could not locate a Denso locally, I live in a small town. I saw that plug listed on another site. I hope it is ok. If not tell me and i will order another, Beale.
personally i don't like the NGK. the way the electrode is designed compared to the chamption seems like it isn't as effiecent. however, i have no evidence to support or deny this claim. basically, the the champion plug was designed for the motor and the NGK plug was adapted for the application.
the NGK plugs don't seem to last as long and foul out easier-- at least that's what my experience has been.

i do however like the denso plug. and for the record i run NGK plugs in my vintage bikes...

take what you will from it...

best,
-greasy
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 3247
Location: Burlington NC
Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:27 pm quote
Sparkplug?
Hey greasy thanks for the tip. I may take the NGK back, and try the Denso. I can get it on line and maybe from a motorcycle shop I frequent. I really prefer the Denso myself. The local Advance Auto did not have the Denso. I will look around, Beale.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: 21 Oct 2005
Posts: 7275
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:33 pm quote
don't mention it man.
just be careful when you're refitting the plug not to cross thread that puppy in there!

best,
-greasy
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1651
Location: Ohio
Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:23 pm quote
Re: Sparkplug gap
personally i don't like the NGK. the way the electrode is designed compared to the chamption seems like it isn't as effiecent. however, i have no evidence to support or deny this claim. basically, the the champion plug was designed for the motor and the NGK plug was adapted for the application.
the NGK plugs don't seem to last as long and foul out easier-- at least that's what my experience has been.

i do however like the denso plug. and for the record i run NGK plugs in my vintage bikes...

take what you will from it...

best,
-greasy[/quote]

What is the part number for the Denzo plug? I checked their website and couldn't find any info. This may sound goofy, but can this plug do any damage to the cylinder? From what I read this thing will really "spark"
If I cannot find the Denzo is the Champion the next best thing?
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 3247
Location: Burlington NC
Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:38 pm quote
Denso Sparkplug?
Denso Number is IU24. I got mine from www.sparkplugs.com I like it. Got it installed a couple of weeks ago, have run the gas out that was in the tank. I went down to the Amaco got the ultimate high test, will try that for the next couple of fill ups.
The scoot seems to start easier, and run a little better? May be my brain playing tricks on me. At my age that is very easy, Beale.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1651
Location: Ohio
Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:19 pm quote
Re: Denso Sparkplug?
Beale wrote:
Denso Number is IU24. I got mine from www.sparkplugs.com I like it. Got it installed a couple of weeks ago, have run the gas out that was in the tank. I went down to the Amaco got the ultimate high test, will try that for the next couple of fill ups.
The scoot seems to start easier, and run a little better? May be my brain playing tricks on me. At my age that is very easy, Beale.
Beale- Thanks for the info. It said on the Denso site that Autozone's carry their plugs. I'm going to check tomorrow. The last plug I bought for my previous scooter, (Piaggio LT150) I paid $12.99! from the Vespa store And it was a regular Champion! I can't lose with the Denso.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1651
Location: Ohio
Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:50 pm quote
Not to be a pain...... but I just checked my owners manual and it says that by not using the prescribed type of spark plug could damage the "Piaggio Immobilizer". Hmmmmm any know anything about this? It also mentions that use of a plug with a heat range other than what they prescribe can result in serious engine damage. My scoot came with a Champion but the book recommends the NGK CR8EB. What to do???
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 3247
Location: Burlington NC
Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:13 pm quote
Sparkplug?
What to do? I guess what you feel good with. Their are mutiple users of the Denso on this site. I have not heard of any issues? I just went for it, heck I could not find the Champion anyway, Beale.
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1651
Location: Ohio
Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:49 pm quote
Re: Sparkplug?
Beale wrote:
What to do? I guess what you feel good with. Their are mutiple users of the Denso on this site. I have not heard of any issues? I just went for it, heck I could not find the Champion anyway, Beale.
I can't see how it would damage anything... My brother-in-law is a Toyota master tech, I'll run it by him. Maybe our Piaggio techs could also chime in
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Posts: 3130
Location: New Jersey, USA
Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:56 pm quote
Vic Mackey wrote:
Not to be a pain...... but I just checked my owners manual and it says that by not using the prescribed type of spark plug could damage the "Piaggio Immobilizer". Hmmmmm any know anything about this? It also mentions that use of a plug with a heat range other than what they prescribe can result in serious engine damage. My scoot came with a Champion but the book recommends the NGK CR8EB. What to do???
The reference to the "Piaggio Immobilizer" is with regards to a resistor type spark plug. A non-resistor spark plug will interfere with the Immobilizer.

The Champion you have, and the NKG referenced in the users manual are equivalent.
Hooked
2003 ET4 150/PX 150 Serie America #232/1974 Rally 200
Joined: 28 Oct 2005
Posts: 218
Location: PONCE, PUERTO RICO
Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:59 am quote
Hey people what do you recomend for the ET4,the Champion RG6YC or...?


Thanks!
CUCO
Molto Verboso
'95 Yamaha Riva 125- '05 Piaggio BV200-'05 Honda Reflex-'08 Honda Metropolitan
Joined: 22 Oct 2005
Posts: 1651
Location: Ohio
Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:21 pm quote
We need to re-name this topic "Spark Plugs" or something similar. I think some folks are bypassing this because they think it's just about gap size. A cool topic or maybe something in the tech section could be one that deals with a consensus on different types of oil to use, rear-end fluid, spark plugs, tires etc. I could be used by all as a quick reference.
Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 3247
Location: Burlington NC
Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:40 pm quote
I agree, lots of good info in this topic, Beale.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 29652
Location: Bay Area, California
Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:02 pm quote
Vic Mackey wrote:
We need to re-name this topic "Spark Plugs" or something similar. I think some folks are bypassing this because they think it's just about gap size. A cool topic or maybe something in the tech section could be one that deals with a consensus on different types of oil to use, rear-end fluid, spark plugs, tires etc. I could be used by all as a quick reference.
I'm all for these kinds of articles... I just need volunteers to take a specific topic (say, spark plugs) and write up a single post that is complete and covers the consensus or, if a consensus is lacking, the pros and cons of each option, whatever the subject happens to require. I'll gladly post this stuff to the technical library and give full credit to the author of the final complete post.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2310s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0278s) ][ Debug on ]