tilt lock AND speedometer temporarily not working?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
MP3 250 / Vespa S50
Mon May 18, 2020 7:56 am quote
Hey everyone, my MP3 250 behaved strangely yesterday.

Took it out for the first ride in two weeks. Speedo stopped working (rest of dashboard was normal), and my tilt lock system also stopped working at the end of my ride.

Killswitch off, started the bike back on, same situation (no reaction from the tilt sensor yellow light or thumb switch).

Next I turned the key off, and then turned it back on. Everything was working perfectly again. Locked the tilt/lean, picked up some food, and jumped back on the bike and went home.

On the ride home, the speedo wasn't working again, and when I got home to park my MP3, the thumb switch to lock the tilt wasn't working again either, until I turned the bike on and off with the key.

Is this an early warning sign something is failing? What should I be checking?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Mon May 18, 2020 9:32 am quote
One of the wires going to a front wheel speed sensor has broken. They made them to short for the MP3 250's.
Easy fix once you find the problem area. Look at the wires going to the front wheel area for damage
MP3 250 / Vespa S50
Sat May 23, 2020 5:18 pm quote
Looks like my speedo is now working normally. But the tilt lock still isn't working. Would that still a cable from one of the front wheels?
MP3 250 / Vespa S50
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:04 pm quote
I just wanted to update this thread even though it's been a while, just in case other people are searching this forum (or Google) in the future and come across the same issue and end up on my thread and wonder "so wtf happened?"

Here it is, basically, WEB-Tech was right:
WEB-Tech wrote:
One of the wires going to a front wheel speed sensor has broken. They made them to short for the MP3 250's.
Easy fix once you find the problem area. Look at the wires going to the front wheel area for damage
My local dealer (Vespa Toronto West) said that the MP3 has some wires that go to speed sensors at the front wheel, one goes to the right wheel, one to the left, and these get frayed from contact often enough that it's a known issue.

The solution is to either replace the cable altogether, running it all the way back along the frame, or just splice in an undamaged end bit.

It was hard for me to diagnose at home without a magical dealer tool because sometimes I would have the problem, sometimes I wouldn't, based on how the cable in question was resting.

What I found helped was turning off the mp3, wiggling some of the cables, and then checking to see if that did or didn't have any effect. You can check one side at a time at first to try to help you identify which side is giving the issue.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions DM me or contact me via the contact form on my website for a faster response (link should be in my profile I think).
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1479s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0384s) ][ Debug on ]