New to MP3 - tyre choice
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Member
Piaggio Mp3 500LT 2018
Joined: 20 May 2020
Posts: 7
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Wed May 20, 2020 10:29 pm quote
Hi everyone!
I am a new MP3 owner from Europe. I have a 500 LT 2018 model and I am searching for new tyres. I have read the posts related to this topic, but I have some questions.
Now, My scooter has a 140/70/14 Pirelli Angel on the rear (500km used), while at the front wheels I have the Michelin CityGrip (used). I am searching for new front tyres and I don't know what to choose between the two:

On the one hand I think it will be better to have a Pirelli set, both on the front and rear wheels. On the other, there are some people that say that the best tyres for the MP3s are the Michelins.

There is nothing about the price, both are similar - in my country (Romania) they are about 45 usd/piece.

Thanks a lot!
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 219
Location: Belgium
Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 pm quote
The Pirelli is a relatively new tire on the market, while the Michelin CityGrip has been around for several years and proven itself to be a good long lasting tire as well as being the tire of choice by other leading scooter manufacturers such as Honda.

Just as an example, I got 20K km out of my set of CityGrips before replacing them with another set of CityGrips.

20k km is on the same level as full size touring bikes such as Honda Goldwing.
Member
Piaggio Mp3 500LT 2018
Joined: 20 May 2020
Posts: 7
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Thu May 21, 2020 10:50 am quote
Thank you,
I have read some reviews about the Pirelli.. The local dealership is promoting the Pirelli Tires (because i have also a pirelli like new on the rear)..

Is there any one who has experienced something with the Pirelli Ngel Scooter?

Thanks
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 4174
Location: Netherlands Olst
Thu May 21, 2020 10:53 am quote
?? newer???? the angle is older then the citygrip they where arround when Piaggio still fitted michelin goldstandards or pirellis GTS23 on the front

Pirelli is a good tyre did have the GTS's and Diablo's Dunlop is also a option
and test drove the new Citygrips 2's on a 2017 model 500 also fine

its al depents on what you want and like
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21611
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Fri May 22, 2020 4:17 am quote
Maksor wrote:
?? newer???? the angle is older then the citygrip they where arround when Piaggio still fitted michelin goldstandards or pirellis GTS23 on the front

Pirelli is a good tyre did have the GTS's and Diablo's Dunlop is also a option
and test drove the new Citygrips 2's on a 2017 model 500 also fine

its al depents on what you want and like
the angle NAME is older I agree but the current angle is NOTHING like the old one, Much better rubber compound and does not feel like a rock like the old ones. The grooves are totally different as well.

I have fitted them on my MP3 and my GTS and they are just as good if not a tad better than the city grips so far. Can't tell you about mileage yet.
Member
Piaggio Mp3 500LT 2018
Joined: 20 May 2020
Posts: 7
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Fri May 22, 2020 7:45 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Maksor wrote:
?? newer???? the angle is older then the citygrip they where arround when Piaggio still fitted michelin goldstandards or pirellis GTS23 on the front

Pirelli is a good tyre did have the GTS's and Diablo's Dunlop is also a option
and test drove the new Citygrips 2's on a 2017 model 500 also fine

its al depents on what you want and like
the angle NAME is older I agree but the current angle is NOTHING like the old one, Much better rubber compound and does not feel like a rock like the old ones. The grooves are totally different as well.

I have fitted them on my MP3 and my GTS and they are just as good if not a tad better than the city grips so far. Can't tell you about mileage yet.
So is this a vote for Pirelli?
Hooked
2016 MP3 500cc Sport ABS
Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 312
Location: Lombard, Il
Fri May 22, 2020 8:31 am quote
Since Michelin came up with the city-grip, I have only mounted the city-grip (well... I'm French too).
I can not comment on the other tires.
I like the longevity of it. I usually get 7,000 to 8,000 miles out of them (for the rear tire). For the grip... I can not really tell... I'm not a risk taker... I don't take angles and avoid wet roads.
Enthusiast
2013 MP3 300ie
Joined: 24 Nov 2017
Posts: 68
Location: Netherlands
Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 pm quote
Another vote for Pirelli here..

I'm not a fan of City Grips. Nice when new, but I've seen them lose some of their grip after a while. Not OK in my book.

I've been riding Pirelly Angels for a few years now on different scooters, and I'm very happy with them. Good grip in wet and cold, and steering quickly and precisely.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21611
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm quote
ddavid2102 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Maksor wrote:
?? newer???? the angle is older then the citygrip they where arround when Piaggio still fitted michelin goldstandards or pirellis GTS23 on the front

Pirelli is a good tyre did have the GTS's and Diablo's Dunlop is also a option
and test drove the new Citygrips 2's on a 2017 model 500 also fine

its al depents on what you want and like
the angle NAME is older I agree but the current angle is NOTHING like the old one, Much better rubber compound and does not feel like a rock like the old ones. The grooves are totally different as well.

I have fitted them on my MP3 and my GTS and they are just as good if not a tad better than the city grips so far. Can't tell you about mileage yet.
So is this a vote for Pirelli?
either one is a good choice.

1 brand to stay away from is Avon, those things are the worst junk I have ever installed. Actually took them off after 300 miles and threw them away.
Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Joined: 01 Jul 2017
Posts: 66
Location: Sydney
Fri May 22, 2020 7:05 pm quote
Re: New to MP3 - tyre choice
ddavid2102 wrote:
Hi everyone!
I am a new MP3 owner from Europe. I have a 500 LT 2018 model and I am searching for new tyres. I have read the posts related to this topic, but I have some questions.
Now, My scooter has a 140/70/14 Pirelli Angel on the rear (500km used), while at the front wheels I have the Michelin CityGrip (used). I am searching for new front tyres and I don't know what to choose between the two:

On the one hand I think it will be better to have a Pirelli set, both on the front and rear wheels. On the other, there are some people that say that the best tyres for the MP3s are the Michelins.

There is nothing about the price, both are similar - in my country (Romania) they are about 45 usd/piece.

Thanks a lot!
You get what you pay for, and between the good brands, there is no major difference. I would recommend to put of the good brands, as your life is in your hands by riding the scooter. So select from the well know brands and that is it. Stay away from the not know brands, they maybe good, but you don't want to be the one with whom give the result from the trial and error.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Joined: 29 Oct 2019
Posts: 219
Location: Belgium
Sat May 23, 2020 12:33 am quote
Another good brand is Metzeler. Never had a problem with any of their tires.
Member
Piaggio Mp3 500LT 2018
Joined: 20 May 2020
Posts: 7
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Sat May 23, 2020 11:56 pm quote
Thank you! I think I am going for Pirelli
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Joined: 03 Nov 2014
Posts: 464
Location: Germany
Sun May 24, 2020 10:27 am quote
I just put another Bridgestone Battlax on my 2019 500hpe and have been using them for years now on my previous 400. They are a very sticky tire but don't expect a whole lot of mileage out of it in terms of the rear tire but when it comes to riding aggressively, they are top notch in my book. The only con that I have with them is wet weather grip. Not nearly as good as the City Grip to be honest. If you are looking for longer tire life, then the suggestions above are a good choice.
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Joined: 21 Dec 2018
Posts: 277
Location: West Germany
Mon May 25, 2020 12:37 pm quote
Tires
I think the Pirellis are also a very good choice. I have almost 10 grand on mine and they're still in good shape! Of course I haven't been going on any really big tours since Corona started,but they've been holding up really well!
Member
Piaggio Mp3 500LT 2018
Joined: 20 May 2020
Posts: 7
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 am quote
Re: Tires
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
I think the Pirellis are also a very good choice. I have almost 10 grand on mine and they're still in good shape! Of course I haven't been going on any really big tours since Corona started,but they've been holding up really well!
thank you
Hooked
2019 MP3 hpe 500 sport Advanced " Missy "
Joined: 21 Dec 2018
Posts: 277
Location: West Germany
Tue May 26, 2020 10:19 am quote
Re: Tires
ddavid2102 wrote:
Hillbilly Fred wrote:
I think the Pirellis are also a very good choice. I have almost 10 grand on mine and they're still in good shape! Of course I haven't been going on any really big tours since Corona started,but they've been holding up really well!
thank you
You are very welcome
Member
Fuoco 500 LT
Joined: 14 Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Location: Crete
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:14 am quote
I was on city grips on my Yourban and on my fuoco as were fitted when bought it as new! My dealer recommended to switch to Pirelli angel! The city grips may not wear out quick but they re getting harder on age! For me angel scooter is all the way to go, perfect grip on Greek hot and slippery roads and excellent grip on UK 🇬🇧 wet conditions! I travel on fuoco across all Europe so from my experience the Pirellis are a perfect choice! Highly recommended 🙂
Member
Piaggio Mp3 500LT 2018
Joined: 20 May 2020
Posts: 7
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:38 am quote
Thank you all. I just ordered Pirellis. I hope I made a good choice.
Thank you a lot
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.1672s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0536s) ][ Debug on ]